PDA

View Full Version : a question about Shooting Slumps

poop
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
how is it that all our shooters go into slumps at the exact same time? ive always wondered this. i mean they are all each individual people, you would think that one or two would hit a slump for a while but others would be shoting well at the same time. do they all have to go poop at the same time? do they all get a craving for tacos at the same time? then why do they all hit a slump AT THE EXACT SAME TIME??? its just weird to me...

early in the year bonner and mason were numbers 1 and 2 in the NBA at 3's, for a while. now they both are shooting bricks. together. at the same time. nobody is making 3's. only Finley is shooting decent. the same goes for freethrows. why, if a player or 2 is bricking freethrows, does it mean that the others probably will too? i just dont get it

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Maybe it's like women who live together for an extended amount of time.

Their periods become in synch.

lefty
04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
That's because Chip Engelland has been on crack lately

Chubyrama
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's weird. Seeing your teammates miss their shots probably has a negative effect on your morale, tough not as much as missing your own. If you go to the line thinking "boy, I really have to make these shots, we can't keep missing" I don't think it helps at all. Your teammates misses increases the pressure on your own shots, and increased pressure means lower %.

duncan228
04-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Bonner, after the Hornets game.

Missing can be contagious. You start to miss a couple, the basket gets smaller.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121084

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Yoga would help.

Trains you to stay in the moment, and how to let things go.

No more troubles, no more woe.. since I laid my burdens down.

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Bonner, after the Hornets game.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121084

Shooters are supposed to believe the next one is going in no matter if they missed the last 10.

xtremesteven33
04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Hallellujah...since i laid my burdens down....

SenorSpur
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Long distance jump shooting cannot be counted on from game to game. All of which is why a team MUST be able to generate offense in other ways, and of course, playing great defense. Two areas that the Spurs are not as prolific in as they'd been in years past.

Yuixafun
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Yep, need to Manufacture points sometimes and stop trying for the longball.

I enjoy the 3 much more as a Dagger than the main weapon of choice.

kace
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
obviously the confidence matters a lot here.

but you know, there are some things just not explicable. just probability. play heads or tails and you will see a lot of strech where the coin will fall the same side again and again.

of course, when a player is in a slump and his teamates still shoot well, it's less obvious and gets more unnoticed than when all of them are struggling a bit. but it could happen.

if it happens in PO, the hability of bonner and mason to be good at the highest level could be questionned though.

poop
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
they both went from being incredibly deadly knock-down shooters during the first half of the season, (top 2 in the NBA) to bricklayers for the last month or so.
if they cant return to form for the playoffs, we are doomed

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
we're relying on the 3 too much in general..

that's the reason I want Gooden to be in the rotation..he actually brings scoring around the basket..I don't like how Pop uses him at times though..I don't wanna see Gooden coming off screens and taking Js..

when Duncan is being double-teamed and HAS to pass it off to our struggling 3-point shooters..why not run a play for Gooden inside? Tim and Drew have been playing together much more the past few games, so why not give Gooden some 1 on 1 plays down low? it's a higher % shot than one of our struggling shooters taking 3s..

it would also allow Duncan to play off him and go for rebounds..

we got the guy for a reason, didn't we?..