PDA

View Full Version : The 15 Best International Players Of The 2008-09 NBA Season

duncan228
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Go SpursTalk. :)

The 15 Best International Players of the 2008-09 NBA Season (http://www.interbasket.net/news/1676/2009/04/01/best-international-nba-players-200809/)
Interbasket.net

Everyone loves lists. and we’ve been meaning to come up with a list of the top international NBA players for a few years now, but never actually got around to it.

With the season coming to the end, we decided to finally create our list of the best foreign-born players for the 2008-09 NBA season. We created the list based on the combination of individual performance and team success. So, without further delay, here are Interbasket’s top-15 international players in the NBA for the 2008-09 season.

15. Leandro Barbosa, Phoenix Suns
(14.3 points, 2.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.2 steals, 47.9 FG%)

Barbosa’s stats are a bit down from last seaason, but the Brazilian Blur is still highly-effective and efficient coming off the bench. Barbosa is this era’s Vinne “The Microwave” Johnson. I don’t think twice about Leandro’s ability to get 22 points a game if he were to receive starter minutes on a consistent basis.

14. Andrea Bargnani, Toronto Raptors
(15.3 points, 5.5 rebounds, 41.6 3PT%)

Through November-December 2008, Bargnani was still an inconsistent and frustrating player that was on his way to bust status. Then right before the new year, a light switch came on. Bargnani (pictured right) would go on to score 15 or more points in 15 straight games starting December 31, 2008, and has continued his enlightened play since then. Still the 7-0 Italian needs to work on rebounding and defense, but hey, one thing at a time.

13. José Calderón, Toronto Raptors
(12.9 points, 8.8 assists, 50.1 FG%, 97.8 FT%)

After the Raptors traded away T.J. Ford in the summer, Calderon has stepped in and has done a great job as their lead guard, though that hasn’t translated into victories. With the increased minutes, Calderon is having his best season statistically, nearly 13 points and 9 assists for a terrible Raptors team. Not to mention that Calderon is on a NBA record-breaking pace for FT% (131-134).

12. Nenê, Denver Nuggets
(14.5 points, 7.7 rebounds, 60.4 FG%, 1.3 blocks, 1.2 steals)

The muscley 6-11 Brazilian should make the list for just finishing a season without missing more than than 20% of his games. But he’s not only accomplished that Nene has also had a great season for the Nuggets; he’s been ferociously dunking on opponents all season, and has led the league in FG% the majority of season… before his numbers dipped the last 1.5 months. The only blights on Nene’s season have been being overtaken by Shaq for top FG% and his 2-game suspension for headbutting Louis Amundson.

11. Boris Diaw, Charlotte Bobcats
(15.1 points, 5.9 rebounds, 4.9 assists)

Just as Diaw did when Amare Stoudemire went down for the Suns, the 6-9 forward from France is getting the minutes to show off his multi-faceted game…. but this time it’s for the Bobcats. Things are looking up with Diaw facilitating their offense - since Diaw has come to town, the Bobcats have been playing .530 ball (27-24), and as of this writing, they’re only one game behind Chicago for the final playoff spot in the East. Diaw has averaged roughly 15 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists since arriving in Charlotte.

10. Žydrūnas Ilgauskas, Cleveland Cavs
(13.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 1.3 blocks)

Cleveland did well with Big Z out, but with Cleveland’s all-time leading shot-blocker back in the lineup, the Cavs become a true contender when the 7-3 Lithuanina is holding down the middle. It’s hard to find a pivot that provides midrange jumpers, offensive rebounds, and interior presence consistently night in and night out. Ilgauskas scored his 10,000th point this season.

9. Mehmet Okur, Utah Jazz
(17.6 points, 8.0 rebounds, 49.3 FG%, 44.1 3PT%)

Even with Boozer out, Memo doesn’t mind being the 3rd option and quietly e is having one of his best seasons this year (17 points, 8 rebounds). Shots do not matter to Okur, he just finds a way to produce. What’s better is that Memo produces when it counts the most.

8. Luis Scola, Houston Rockets
(12.7 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 52.8 FG%)

Continuing his solid play from the end of last season, the second year player Scola has become a key player for Houston with oft-injured Tracy McGrady out. The always-hustling, non-stop pump-faking, continuously spinning 6-9 Argentine power forward may not have the prettiest game, but Scola been producing some serious double-doubles, with frequency, this season.

7. Hedo Turkoglu, Orlando Magic
(17 points, 4.9 assists, 5.4 rebounds)

Orlando has gone 18-7 after Jameer Nelson was lost for the season thanks in part to the interior offense/defense of Dwight Howard, and partly because of Hedo Turkoglu’s ability to create off the dribble. The 6-10 forward from Istanbul shooting and numbers have dipped this season, but Hedo is still having a great season for the Southwest division champion Orlando Magic.

6. Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns
(15.6 point, 9.6 assists, 3.1 rebounds, 49.2 FG%, 43.2 3PT%, 94.4 FT%)

The Canadian speedster and former NBA MVP (really?) is still the engine that makes the Suns roll. The problem with that, is that Nash has lost a step, and it isn’t a coincidence that Phoenix looks like they’ll be on the outside looking in on the NBA Playoffs.

5. Manu Ginóbili, San Antonio Spurs
(15.8 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 27 minutes)

Though Ginobili’s been hampered by injuries this season, Manu is still one of the most dangerous players in the league on offense and defense when it gets down to crunchtime. His numbers don’t pop out until realize he’s accomplishing 16 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists this night after night in just 27 minutes per game. Even though he’s coming off the bench, San Antonio will look to Ginobili at the end of the game to make a play.

4. Yao Ming, Houston Rockets
(19.6 points, 9.8 rebounds, 1.9 blocks, 54.7 FG%)

The big man’s stats are down this season, but Houston is still overachieving and near the upper tier of the western conference standings. It’s because the big fella from Shanghai, China is having another all-star season (his 7th), hasn’t been hampered with injuries, and providing his normal 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks nightly. With 8 games remaining, Yao’s already played 70 games this season, the most in four seasons.

3. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
(21.8 points, 6.9 assists, 50 FG%)

Parker is quietly having his best year statistically, career highs in points and assists, and the timing couldn’t have been better as his scoring outburts have kept the San Antonio Spurs on top of the Southwest division most of the season. The 6-2 point guard from France played in his third all-star game this season and has been on a tear lately. Parker has found himself carrying the Spurs as injuries have kept Duncan and Manu out. He’s also surpassed the 10,000 point barrier this season.

2. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks
(25.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists, 47 FG%)

Ho hum. Another 25 points and 8 rebounds inside, but mostly outside. As Dirk Nowitzki goes, so go the Mavs. The 7-0, 30-year old German played in his eigth straight all-star game and has had a knack for hitting game-winners this season with buzzer-beating shots against Philadelphia (01/19/09) and Indiana (03/20/09).

1. Pau Gasol, Los Angeles Lakers
(18.9 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 57.4 FG%)

When there’s talk of the Laker’s success this season, most will point to Kobe Bryant, but many hoop heads know that without the 7-foot Spaniard, there’s no telling where the Lakers would be right now.

Sure the European of the Year isn’t lighting it up for 25 a night like Dirk, but Pau Gasol is hugely responsible for the Los Angeles Lakers winning and being one of the top two teams in the entire league all season. Consistent and fiery, Gasol has had another 19 point and 10 rebound season, participated in his second NBA ALl-Star Game, while being L.A.’s rock in the middle, filling in for the injured Andrew Bynum.

Because of his consistency and the the Laker’s success, Pau Gasol tops Interbasket’s 2008-09 list of top international players.

Honorable Mention: Our list comes with sincere apologies to Anderson Varejao, Andrei Kirilenko, Andres Nocioni, injured Luol Deng and Andris Biedrins, and Spanish rookies Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol. And we don’t consider Tim Duncan and Raja Bell as international.

lefty
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Where the fuck is Rudy ?

And Calderon should have been higher on the list.

When he is healthy, Raptors are a better team

I do agree for Gasol as number 1

DAF86
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Awful list. Parker should be first and Scola should be ahead of Manu.

urunobili
04-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Awful list. Parker should be first and Scola should be ahead of Manu.

TP is BY FAR the best of them all... but scola ahead of Manu? that's insane dude...

InK
04-01-2009, 03:45 PM
TP is BY FAR the best of them all... but scola ahead of Manu? that's insane dude...

Of the season. Manu made a cameo appearence in this one more or less.

IronMexican
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Gasol is better than TP.

DAF86
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM

I don't even think Manu should make the list at all. How many games did he play?

kace
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
IMO, Dirk should be first of the list with tony and/or gasol second.

oh, and a third of this list is related to the spurs in some way.

dougp
04-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Gasol is better than TP.

Without Kobe, the Lakers would be no better than the Grizzlies were when Gasol was there.

kace
04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Without Kobe, the Lakers would be no better than the Grizzlies were when Gasol was there.

well, i see the "where would the spurs be without Tim" answer coming soon.

sananspursfan21
04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
pau is much better as a laker. if he still played for the grizzlies, i'd put him at #5. kinda think the number one spot should be a shootout between dirk and tony

sananspursfan21
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
pau is much better as a laker. if he still played for the grizzlies, i'd put him at #5. kinda think the number one spot should be a shootout between dirk and tony

but i guess we are talking this season only, so i guess gasol deserves #1

HarlemHeat37
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Gasol definitely deserves #1 for THIS season..he's been the most consistent Laker..

Dirk is the best player overall though..Gasol is 2nd, Yao is 3rd, Tony is 4th..

Calderon has had a horrible season, shouldn't be on the list..

IronMexican
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree Dirk should be #1.

Bukefal
04-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Tony should be #1 Gasol #2. Manu on #5? lol, he should be some places down

Josepatches_
04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Dirk must be number 1.
Gasol is overrated and I'm from Spain.I'm tired of see him playing.It's not the same playing with Kobe or without him.Right now he never has double team on him and he scores a lot of easy lay ups and dunks.He can't do the same when he plays with Spain or when he played in Memphis because the defense is focused on him.

If we talk about the best players I would say

1.Dirk
2.Yao
3.TP
4.Pau

If it's only about this season I would say

1.Dirk
2.TP
3.Pau

Spursfan092120
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Pau and Dirk better than Tony? Are you freaking kidding me? How sad is this? Bottom line is..Tony should be getting MVP talk right now, and Dirk and Pao don't even belong in the talk.

dirk4mvp
04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Pau and Dirk better than Tony? Are you freaking kidding me? How sad is this? Bottom line is..Tony should be getting MVP talk right now, and Dirk and Pao don't even belong in the talk.

Pau and Dirk are way better than Parker.

Brazil
04-01-2009, 06:01 PM
LMAO at Gasol > Dirk

It should be
1. Dirk
2. TP
3. Gasol

Brazil
04-01-2009, 06:02 PM

no way Pau better than parker

but I agree on putting Dirk first

Spursfan092120
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
When I read this, all I visualized was Cartman pooping out of his mouth in South Park..never seen it done in real life though.

IronMexican
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Gasol > Parker

Tony Ukic

Pentagruel
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually pretty much agree with this list. Keep in mind it's talking about this season.

Pau has been incredible for the Lakers all season long and he should prolly be getting more touches then he is. I might put Tony second this season but when you think about it, Dirk, as usual is having a stellar season for the Mavs again. It's just that Tony has improved drastically from last year and played a larger role then usual due to injuries which makes it seem more impressive.

Red Hawk #21
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Is Al Horford not considered as intenational. Dominicano!

dirk4mvp
04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
When I read this, all I visualized was Cartman pooping out of his mouth in South Park..never seen it done in real life though.

That's great that you vizuale guys pooping out of their mouth. But I'm sure you're pissed about this thread not having any proud to be american undertones.

mardigan
04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Scola is waaaay to high on this list. Other than that it looks good.

Pentagruel
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Scola is waaaay to high on this list. Other than that it looks good.

Why would you say that? He has been fantastic or the Rockets this season.

Hemotivo
04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
TP > Gaysol

interbasket
04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

So I helped create the list. With individual performance and how their respective team has done this season, were the two main indicators in helping me create this list, I guess in the same way most look at MVP voting. So take that into consideration when you look at the word "best".

I agree, we were a little hesitatant to place Manu that high up on the list, but we just couldn't place him any lower than any of the other guys listed after. Given, i am a big believer in Manu, but trying to factor out my subjectiveness, I believe he is just that important to the Spurs despite missing a month and a half of games.

We're not talking skills here, we're talking performance, individual + team, mix and pour... that's why Gasol is number one on the list. Take a look at his gamelog, then look at Kobe's and you tell me who has been more consistent for that team? Dirk is always at the top of the list when we talk best international players, but his team is barely making the playoffs. In short, Pau is having a very good individual season (in context to his other seasons) on the 2nd best team in the league, while Dirk is having a great individual season for an ok team.

bdictjames
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Pau has been the MVP for the Lakers, I think he has a say in #1. Parker should be #3, as Duncan is still the engine of the Spurs. Dirk gets #2 for the sole fact he's been taking the whole Mavs team on his shoulders throughout the season.

The list is pretty much accurat, I would say.

Brazil
04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I'd never considered Pau better than Dirk this season. Life for Pau is much easier in this lakers team than Dirk, Dirk is carrying the mavs and he is the BIG factor for the mavs being in the POs. Pau is playing with the best or second best BB player in the nba and with the most powerful front court of the nba.

As I said IMO 1. Dirk 2. TP, he is the biggest reason why the spurs keep the #2 seed despite the injuries of Tim and Manu, his stats are the best of his carreer and he showed that when you give him all the responsability he is capable of putting 25 and 10 at >50% FG 3. Pau for all the good reasons given by interbasket.

interbasket
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Just for arguments sake, the only parts of the game that Dirk excels over Gasol significantly is outside shooting and scoring. Pau is a better defender, better rebounder, better passer, shot blocking, low post.... that's not to take anything away from Dirk, but this season it's Gasol's season.