PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Out goes the bad food, in comes the good when Brungardt's in charge

Kori Ellis
03-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Out goes the bad food, in comes the good when Brungardt's in charge
Web Posted: 03/16/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031605.5C.BKNspurs.nutrition.1403f47a0.html

Ten years ago, in his first season as the Spurs' strength coach, Mike Brungardt could walk into the locker room before a game and routinely find a player alternately wolfing down a Whopper and french fries.

Before long, one of the team's backup forwards would ask a ball boy to fetch him a couple of hot dogs from an Alamodome concession stand. Another player watched film while gobbling handfuls of popcorn.

Wheaties might pride itself on being "The Breakfast of Champions," but the Spurs apparently thought the fastest way to a title was a trip through the nearest drive-thru lane.

"You don't see that much anymore," Brungardt said. "Players are a lot more selective in the things they eat."

Brungardt and the rest of the Spurs' support staff have done their best to make sure. In an effort to bury the franchise's Junk Food Era, the team has recently implemented a performance nutrition program that provides players everything from scrambled egg whites to broccoli-and-rice casseroles.

"The intention and goal is not to turn them into a bunch of granola-eating food whackos," said Danny Ferry, who has helped oversee the program as the team's assistant general manager. "If that's the direction they want to take, that's fine. We just want to put them in a situation where they have healthy options in front of them."

Ferry, in his own words, is a "granola-eating food whacko." During his 13 years in the NBA, he drank wheat-grass juice, avoided fatty foods and worked out constantly.

What surprised Ferry was the type of food available to the players on the team's charter flights. In addition to the usual meal options, the Spurs typically had an overhead container filled with an assortment of potato chips. Flight attendants patrolled the aisle offering ice cream and chocolate-chip cookies.

"It's one thing if a guy wants to get a bag of Cheetos himself," Ferry said, "but I didn't think we should be giving it to him."

After listening to Ferry's concerns, the Spurs' front office decided to evaluate the team's nutrition and conditioning programs. A longtime admirer of Lance Armstrong and cycling in general, general manager R.C. Buford brought in Chris Carmichael, the six-time Tour de France champion's personal coach, to meet with his staff.

Though the Spurs ultimately decided Carmichael's emphasis on aerobic conditioning was better suited for endurance athletes than NBA players, their meeting with the performance guru proved educational. Not only did it teach Buford they would benefit from applying science to their conditioning efforts, it also convinced him they needed to better utilize the knowledge of Brungardt, athletic trainer Will Sevening and Sevening's assistant, Joe Gutzwiller.

The team hired Eddie Coyle, a University of Texas kinesiology and health education professor, as a consultant. A noted nutritional expert who heads the university's Human Performance Laboratory, Coyle has worked with Armstrong as well as the International Olympic Committee.

Coyle aimed to improve the players' energy late in games, even more so when the team played on consecutive nights. To do so, he produced a plan detailing not only what the Spurs should eat, but, more importantly, when they should eat.

"The most important thing that happens after you play or practice is there's like a 45-minute to an hour window of when you need to try to get food back into your system," Brungardt said. "Because your body is very hungry at that point, absorption to the cellular level is that much better."

As a result, the sooner an athlete eats after working out, the faster his muscles recover. In addition to the usual nutritional supplements — the Spurs have used Rebuild and Nutri-build III since their 1999 championship season — team officials also now make food readily available to the players.

For the same amount the Spurs were paying Northwest Airlines to cater their outbound flights, H-E-B Central Market now provides pre-practice, post-practice and postgame meals. A catering representative from Central Market works with Gutzwiller and one of Coyle's assistants to determine what to feed the team. Breakfast at the practice facility can feature egg-white omelets, burritos on whole-wheat tortillas, turkey sausage, oatmeal and fruit. Turkey meatloaf, chicken lo mein and different selections of fish and pasta are among the items served for lunch.

The Spurs also have begun sending meals home with each player on the mornings of games. Sandwiches have proved popular as a quick postgame snack.

Coyle has emphasized making sure the players get plenty of carbohydrates. Team-provided meals, Brungardt said, typically have a 65-to-25 percent ratio of carbohydrates to protein, with fat making up the remaining 10 percent.

"It's not so much about eating healthy," Ferry said. "It's about eating right for what you're doing."

Since implementing the program, the Spurs have seen subtle signs of improvement. Body-fat percentages have declined. The team's overall energy level is better.

From Nov. 18 to Dec. 9, the Spurs went 10-4 during a brutal stretch that required them to twice play seven games in 10 days.

"We lost some games in there, but our overall record was very good," Brungardt said. "I would attribute nutrition as being a part of that because it's part of the recovery process."

Last season, the Spurs noticed Tony Parker struggled to maintain his energy in the second game of a back-to-back. Parker didn't like to eat quickly after games, so the team began setting out specific food for him, sometimes in the form of shakes. Before long, he was also munching on a pregame snack.

"I don't feel a big change," Parker said. "But I'm playing every game and I'm healthy, so it's got to be doing something."

Duff McCartney
03-16-2005, 01:43 AM
Where's the beef?

timvp
03-16-2005, 01:47 AM
"I don't feel a big change," Parker said. "But I'm playing every game and I'm healthy, so it's got to be doing something."

Oops.

I guess that's what happens when you resort to the prepackaged article.

:smokin

T Park
03-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah no kidding.

Funny, on a side note, America is eating the lowest amount of fat in the country's history, and the country has never been fatter.

Maybe the doctors are wrong in the low fat crap.

MannyIsGod
03-16-2005, 03:01 AM
It's also consuming record amounts of sugars and things like corn syrup. It's not only about eating fat.

Mr. Body
03-16-2005, 03:07 AM
It's all the high fructose corn syrup in sodas that kills people. Now the standard it to get a 20 oz. when not long ago it was 12 oz. a serving. Plus, people are fat because they drive up to the door of the place they have to be, then walk less than a hundred feet to their seat, sit there all day, then go the same way home, driving.

slayermin
03-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Breakfast at the practice facility can feature egg-white omelets, burritos on whole-wheat tortillas, turkey sausage, oatmeal and fruit. Turkey meatloaf, chicken lo mein and different selections of fish and pasta are among the items served for lunch.

I wonder if HEB offers this menu to their employees from the Deli. If they want a lean, mean workforce, they should promote this type of diet for their partners.

milkyway21
03-16-2005, 03:14 AM
i thought it's all doughnuts (served this yr by rookie Beno), for the post practice snacks :lol with the "coco topping" special for Timmy.

TheWriter
03-16-2005, 03:20 AM
i thought it's all doughnuts (served this yr by rookie Beno), for the post practice snacks :lol with the "coco topping" special for Timmy.

Actually, donuts are brought only 'before" every home game.

mattyc
03-16-2005, 03:51 AM
You don't make friends with salad....

ShoogarBear
03-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Ferry, in his own words, is a "granola-eating food whacko." During his 13 years in the NBA, he drank wheat-grass juice, avoided fatty foods and worked out constantly.
I was wondering how he kept up that buff body.

Mark in Austin
03-16-2005, 05:42 AM
It's also consuming record amounts of sugars and things like corn syrup. It's not only about eating fat.

I've heard from several different sources that the combination of high sugar/corn syrup items like sodas w/ fatty foods is a double whammy. Not only do you get empty calories, aand a high percentage of fat calories, but on a molecular level, the sugars encourage the body to store the fat (since the sugars are burned off first).

It was tough to do at first, but I now almost always drink water or unsweet tea if I'm eating a burger & fries or pizza, etc.

Solid D
03-16-2005, 09:33 AM
This all sounds good but the team really had nothing left in the 4th in that B2B in Phoenix...particularly so with Tony.

mookie2001
03-16-2005, 10:29 AM
they need more omega 7 fibers

"i even have time warner dijjjjjatal phone"