PDA

View Full Version : Nazr: Coming Full Circle

Kori Ellis
03-16-2005, 06:58 AM
Nazr: Coming Full Circle

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=7373A7B5-0D12-4999-9314-3A4A82DA4E2C

By LJ Ellis
FullSportPress.com

Nazr Mohammed’s basketball life has come full circle. After entering the University of Kentucky as a 310-pound freshman, Mohammed worked his way into becoming the team’s starting center on a NCAA National Championship team by his junior year.

Mohammed averaged 12.0 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game that season as the Wildcats went 35-4. Kentucky defeated Utah in San Antonio to win their second title in three years.

Seven years later, Mohammed is back in town. This time trying to help the Spurs capture their third championship in franchise history.

Mohammed, 6-foot-10 and down to 250 pounds, has bounced around the league since his days at Kentucky. The Utah Jazz drafted him as the 29th overall selection in the draft, but immediately traded him to the Philadelphia 76ers for a future first round pick.

Mohammed stayed glued to the bench for most of his two and a half seasons on the Sixers. Playing for Larry Brown as a young player is a difficult task, as current Detroit Piston Darko Milicic could attest.

Mohammed was traded in the middle of his third season in the league to the Atlanta Hawks. While with the Hawks, Mohammed put up 12.3 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. In the 2001-02 season, Mohammed played a full 82 games in Atlanta, averaging 7.6 points and 5.3 rebounds per game.

Injuries ravaged his 2002-03 season, allowing him to only play 35 games. He started the year on the injured list after undergoing surgery for a stress fracture in his right foot. Mohammed returned to action in December, but required season-ending surgery in March for another stress fracture in the same foot.

The next season brought on more change. Though he came back healthy from his two foot surgeries, he was traded to the New York Knicks during the middle of the season. The career move was a good one for Mohammed, who soon assumed a starting role on the Knicks.

This year, Mohammed was having his finest season as a pro with the Knicks. He was the everyday starting center and was even getting All-Star recognition. As of January 4th, Mohammed was averaging 13.0 points, 9.5 rebounds and 1.23 blocks, while shooting 53.6% from the floor.

Soon after though, Mohammed’s luck began to turn sour. Later in the month of January, Lenny Wilkens resigns as head coach of the Knicks. New coach Herb Williams didn’t play him as many minutes as he preferred to go with a smaller lineup. In the beginning of February, Mohammed suffered a groin injury that limited his effectiveness in his subsequent games.

On February 24th, the Knicks traded their starting center to the Spurs for Malik Rose and a pair of first round draft picks. The Spurs, who were looking for more size in their frontcourt, added Mohammed to bolster their bench and to give the team another legit center.

“He has a real knack for the ball -- a good rebounder,” said head coach Gregg Popovich about his team’s newest player. “He moves well defensively to where we want him to go on the court. He understands pretty quickly. He's going for blocked shots. He isn't hesitating, if he's open he's taking shots. He’s a good passer, so we like what we see.”

Mohammed has averaged 5.8 points and 5.3 rebound in his four games with San Antonio. Monday night against the Hornets, he logged 21 minutes – his most minutes as a Spur.

“I'm getting better and better,” said Mohammed. “I'm getting more comfortable. Every game I get a little bit more comfortable. Every practice I get a little bit more comfortable.”

Spurs fans have been quick to rally behind Mohammed’s all-out style.

“It's a great atmosphere here,” commented Mohammed. “It reminds me a lot of my days at Kentucky, as far as the camaraderie, the team and fan appreciation. All you have to do is play hard and they'll cheer for you.”

With dominant post players such as Shaquille O’Neal and Amare Stoudamire between the Spurs and another championship, Mohammed’s role on the team will be an important one down the stretch. He’ll be called upon to rebound, defend and score around the basket in his minutes on the court.

Although he’s currently behind Rasho Nesterovic on the depth chart at center, Mohammed has been in the position before. In his junior season at Kentucky, he began the year behind Jamaal Magloire. In the middle of the season, Mohammed replaced Magloire as the team’s starting center on the way to the National Championship.

Could Mohammed take Nesterovic’s place as the Spurs’ starting center?

If the circle continues.

Post Game Interview: Nazr Mohammed (http://video.woai.com/launcher/93912,565/)
Post Game Interview: Gregg Popovich (http://video.woai.com/launcher/93909,565/)

ducks
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
good article lj

DuncanMVP
03-16-2005, 11:55 AM
I hope second to last line happens

START NAZR!!

boutons
03-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Even if Nazr does well, isn't he leaving the capped-out Spurs after this season?

ChumpDumper
03-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Got another year, after that -- who knows?

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2005, 12:04 PM
He’s a good passer, so we like what we see.”

For whott.

boutons - Nazr has another year remaining on his contract (through 2006), plus we've got his Bird rights.

GoSpurs21
03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
For whott.

boutons - Nazr has another year remaining on his contract (through 2006), plus we've got his Bird rights.How do the Spurs have his bird rights after only 1.5 seasons under the Spurs?

ChumpDumper
03-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Bird rights are transferred in trades.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Chump's got it covered.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what are bird rights?

ChumpDumper
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Cliff's Notes version: if a player plays for a team three consecutive years, that player can be signed to a contract with that team of any amount up to the max regardless of the salary cap when he becomes a free agent. If he is traded during that time, the time he spent with the previous team and any resulting rights are transferred to the new team.

In theory, Nazr can be signed to any amount up to the max by the Spurs after next season. However, there is a real limit to what the team will spend and Nazr is free to sign with any team he chooses, possibly leaving the Spurs with no compensation.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Cliff's Notes version: if a player plays for a team three consecutive years, that player can be signed to a contract with that team of any amount up to the max regardless of the salary cap when he becomes a free agent. If he is traded during that time, the time he spent with the previous team and any resulting rights are transferred to the new team.

In theory, Nazr can be signed to any amount up to the max by the Spurs after next season. However, there is a real limit to what the team will spend and Nazr is free to sign with any team he chooses, possibly leaving the Spurs with no compensation.

Thanks. Is this related to a player's status as a restricted free agent?

T Park
03-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Nazr will earn about a Malik size contract next year.

Only thing is, Scola will be around, and then Rasho will be the one to get the Malik trade syndrome.

ducks
03-16-2005, 03:31 PM
barry has the rose trade talk now

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2005, 03:37 PM
I think that now they have their hands on Nazr, Scola has become expendable, trade fodder.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I think that now they have their hands on Nazr, Scola has become expendable, trade fodder.

Why so? Isn't Scola a forward? He's about Malik's size, right?

ducks
03-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I do not think so yet
scola is going to be cheap
why should the spurs ship him off unless they think he can not produce
spurs are not going to find a cheaper big for 3 years 6 million which has been rumored the number they agreeded on......

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Well it could play out one of tow ways:

1. They are satisfied with a three man big rotation with Rasho, Tim, and Nazr, and get some vet. min/6 foul types for deep bench backups.

2. They bring in Scola that way they have a solid two deep at each position.

Scola isn't Rose's size, he's about 4-5 inches taller.

T Park
03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Plus he actually can hit a jump shot, he wont be undersized against the bigger forwards unlike Rose as well.

But, dont mention that here, Rose = God here.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Plus he actually can hit a jump shot, he wont be undersized against the bigger forwards unlike Rose as well.

But, dont mention that here, Rose = God here.

An overpaid god to be sure. I cringed every time the guy had the ball.

I hope Aggie is right about Nazr curing his foul prone play. Other than that, I like what I've seen so far.

ChumpDumper
03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks. Is this related to a player's status as a restricted free agent?Nazr has been in the league too long to be restricted. Restricted free agents have been in the league three years or less, four if they're coming off a first round rookie contract.