PDA

View Full Version : Why worry about the Spurs?

George Gervin's Afro
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves and accept reality. This Spurs team now , and maybe into the future, is not a championship caliber team. Over the course of the last 9 or 10 yrs there were moments in each season where we played championship level basketabll. We may not have won, but the Spurs displayed flashes of brilliance. Can anyone point a stretch this season that the Spurs have proved they can play at a high level and win the championship? A game? A stretch of 3 or 4 games? Good luck with that.

Jump shooting teams don't win championships. With Tim Duncan no longer requiring a double team teams can play us straight up. Not only are we a jumpshooting team, our shooters are always covered!We have one or two players on this roster who can create off the dribble so no luck there. If I were an opposing coach I wouldn't double Tim. Even when he is doubled we are a 3 point jump shooting team with little inside game. A three point jump shooting team!

Man, how we have evolved from a tough interior defensive team to a soft offensive perimeter team. It is what it is.

So why worry?

I am not a bandwaggoner nor am I a fair weather fan. I am a realsitic fan. So if any of you our holding out out hope that we win the championship you are in for a big letdown. Histrorically the best teams in the reg season are the teams that have a legit shot to win. With what we have seen this year can one person honstly believe that we will turn it on, make our jumpshots consistently, play better defense, or play smarter over the course of the last 8 games?

In my opinion, LA, Clev, and Boston are the only teams with a realistic shot to win this year.

My only hope for this team is that they stay out of the lakers bracket and make it to the WCF. I have a feeling we will see the lakers in the second round and be done in 5 again.

Oh, does Bonner's defense suck or what?

No worries from me because I expect to see in the playoffs what I have seen over the last few weeks. I am not worrying anymore about winning a championship.

new_N_town
04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
lakers n boston also were not championship caliber teams 2 yrs ago, make sum big name trades and here we are. spurs cannot cut the mustard without some big name trades , pickups . ANYTHING

Bulwark
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Let's be honest with ourselves and accept reality. This Spurs team now , and maybe into the future, is not a championship caliber team. Over the course of the last 9 or 10 yrs there were moments in each season where we played championship level basketabll. We may not have won, but the Spurs displayed flashes of brilliance. Can anyone point a stretch this season that the Spurs have proved they can play at a high level and win the championship? A game? A stretch of 3 or 4 games? Good luck with that.

Jump shooting teams don't win championships. With Tim Duncan no longer requiring a double team teams can play us straight up. Not only are we a jumpshooting team, our shooters are always covered!We have one or two players on this roster who can create off the dribble so no luck there. If I were an opposing coach I wouldn't double Tim. Even when he is doubled we are a 3 point jump shooting team with little inside game. A three point jump shooting team!

Man, how we have evolved from a tough interior defensive team to a soft offensive perimeter team. It is what it is.

So why worry?

I am not a bandwaggoner nor am I a fair weather fan. I am a realsitic fan. So if any of you our holding out out hope that we win the championship you are in for a big letdown. Histrorically the best teams in the reg season are the teams that have a legit shot to win. With what we have seen this year can one person honstly believe that we will turn it on, make our jumpshots consistently, play better defense, or play smarter over the course of the last 8 games?

In my opinion, LA, Clev, and Boston are the only teams with a realistic shot to win this year.

My only hope for this team is that they stay out of the lakers bracket and make it to the WCF. I have a feeling we will see the lakers in the second round and be done in 5 again.

Oh, does Bonner's defense suck or what?

No worries from me because I expect to see in the playoffs what I have seen over the last few weeks. I am not worrying anymore about winning a championship.

I, agree, in part to what you are saying. This team has been through a lot of ups and downs (downs more than ups). But I would also like to add that they've done pretty well with the injuries they've had. I'm not ready to wave the white flag yet.

Ghazi
04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I disagree that jump shooting teams cannot win championships. The Mavs proved this to be a fallacy when they won a championship in 2006.

Bulwark
04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I disagree that jump shooting teams cannot win championships. The Mavs proved this to be a fallacy when they won a championship in 2006.

The reagular season championship? Sarcasm?

TheDarkSide.
04-02-2009, 02:06 PM
oh brother..."i'm a realistic fan" :pimpslap

nothing more annoying.

koriwhat
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
you want us to be honest? ok then... stop fuckin' crying! when pop and duncan leave, then this team might not be a contender anymore but until then stfu! what proof over the last decade has got you thinking the spurs can't contend? if i'm not mistaken we were 2nd place in the west not even 2 days ago. wtf is wrong with some of you?

Yogurt210
04-02-2009, 02:15 PM
While eating at a restaurant on the Riverwalk I bumped into Gregg Pop’s wife’s sister’s cousin’s daughter’s friend’s dad’s uncle’s mother’s great grandma’s nephew.
Here’s what he told me:
1.Timmy is OK, those new blue knee pads are “restrictors” and “weights” for his legs and prevents him from jumping. During playoff time he will simply remove those and become Super Timmy aka the Silent Assassin and just buck crazy breaking boards.
2.Bowen/Hill are actually in the mountains of China, learning how to hop across trees, so they can add this technique to thier defense and catch Kobe/Bron etc and shut them down. The image you see now is not really Bruce/Hill, it’s a new hologram image as seen on CNN during the election.
3.Starting Bonner is all a part of Pop’s CIA. It is only to give opposing teams a false sense of security to dominate our C posistion. Ian will be activated come playoffs and show his outstanding skills that he has learned from David Robinson in the dungeons of the spurs practice facility.

You heard it here first.
There is actually a few more things, but I cannot tell. I was told if I do, my life would end.
There is hope Spurs fan!

EricB
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Awesome, I guess I'll just sell my playoff tickets and not bother going because the "realistic" fan says that would be stupid and be in for a letdown.

Pardon me, but I'll be crazy and still root for the team and go to the games.

Crazy talk I know.

koriwhat
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

you're so fuckin' annoying with this "mavs won in '06" bs... dirk must be go'n balls deep on ya for you to keep spewing such crap on this board about winning anything in '06. stop it already.

koriwhat
04-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Awesome, I guess I'll just sell my playoff tickets and not bother going because the "realistic" fan says that would be stupid and be in for a letdown.

Crazy talk I know.

you don't have PO tickets... don't lie tpark.

hater
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree these Spurs are not championship calibre if DUncan plays like he's been playing for last few weeks.

BUT, neither are all Western teams except Lakers. It could take 1 bad series from Lakers for SPurs to make it to the Finals. And then, anything could happen. So not everything is lost.

EricB
04-02-2009, 02:29 PM

Uh yeah I do.

Sitting right here beside me...

103 row 22....

Same seats I've had since the building opened.

EricB
04-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I agree these Spurs are not championship calibre if DUncan plays like he's been playing for last few weeks.

BUT, neither are all Western teams except Lakers. It could take 1 bad series from Lakers for SPurs to make it to the Finals. And then, anything could happen. So not everything is lost.

Duncan looked fine vs the Clippers and Hornets, and wasn't all that bad vs the Thunder, so i don't get the panic behind Duncan. He's improving along with Ginobili.

Spursmania
04-02-2009, 02:44 PM

I don't know about him, but I do.:toast

Spursmania
04-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I wish the weights on the knee pads was true about Duncan. And, that he could take them off and fly for the playoffs.:wow

Spursmania
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Duncan looked fine vs the Clippers and Hornets, and wasn't all that bad vs the Thunder, so i don't get the panic behind Duncan. He's improving along with Ginobili.

You know I didn't think he looked that bad either. I thought he looked like he was getting healthier. But then again, there seems to be a lot of comments that he's not being doubled anymore. If that is the case, we're in deep shit. Our perimeter shooters seem to need to be wide open to nail the shots, so if they aren't getting good looks because they are always covered, it's going to be a short playoff exit.:hat

Spursfan092120
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Crazy talk I know.
:tu

Spursfan092120
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
See..I thought the game against the Thunder was his best one in a while. Looked very good.

koriwhat
04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Uh yeah I do.

Sitting right here beside me...

103 row 22....

Same seats I've had since the building opened.

:toast

you know i was just fuckin' with ya right? :flag:

imagevo
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
oh brother..."i'm a realistic fan" :pimpslap

nothing more annoying.

So true

carrao45
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM

you got screwed in the finals we know.
but you didnt win a championship, let it go.
:depressed:lobt2:

:lol:lol

LockBeard
04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm down with the OPp

Realist Fan FTW!

I still believe the WCF are pretty much guaranteed though if Spurs don't have to face L.A. before.