PDA

View Full Version : Allen, Finley Are Finalists For Sportsmanship Honor

duncan228
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Allen, Finley are finalists for sportsmanship honor (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=afp-basketnbasportsmanship&prov=afp&type=lgns)

Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen and San Antonio Spurs sharpshooter Michael Finley were among the finalists named Thursday for the National Basketball Association Sportsmanship Award.

Six finalists, one from each NBA division, were selected by a seven-member panel of former players with a vote of current NBA players to determine a winner that will be announced after the regular season ends in two weeks.

Other finalists include Denver?s Chauncey Billups, Washington's Antawn Jamison, Detroit?s Antonio McDyess and Frenchman Ronny Turiaf of the Golden State Warriors.

The winner will receive the Joe Dumars Trophy, named after the former Detroit Pistons star and Hall of Fame guard who played 14 NBA seasons and won the inaugural sportsmanship award in 1996.

Grant Hill won the award last year while Sudan-born Briton Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls took the honor in 2007.

Red Hawk #21
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Trade finley!!!

lefty
04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Now we know why Pop has been playing Finley so much

manufor3
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I stopped reading when I saw Ray Allen for a sportsmanship award.

Pauleta14
04-02-2009, 06:30 PM
What are the criterias?
What did these guys do ?

loveforthegame
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Congrats to Finley for being a finalist. I hope wins as it would be well deserved.

BlackSwordsMan
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
meaningless award

duncan228
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
What are the criterias?
What did these guys do ?

Wikipedia:

NBA Sportsmanship Award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Sportsmanship_Award)

The National Basketball Association's Sportsmanship Award is an annual National Basketball Association (NBA) award given since the 1995–96 NBA season, to the player who most "exemplifies the ideals of sportsmanship on the court—ethical behavior, fair play and integrity". This award is nearly comparable to the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy of the National Hockey League (NHL), although unlike the NHL counterpart, it does not demand excellence of play.

Every year, each of the 30 NBA teams nominates one of its players to compete for this award. From these 30 nominees, six players, one from each NBA division, are selected by a panel as the divisional Sportsmanship Award winners. Finally at the end of the regular season, NBA players cast vote for this award, with eleven points given for each first-place vote, nine for second-place vote, seven points for third, five points for fourth, three points for fifth and one point for each sixth place vote received. The player with the highest point total, regardless of the number of first-place votes, wins the award. The winner of this award is presented with the Joe Dumars Trophy, named after the former Detroit Pistons player and the award's first inaugural recipient.

In its twelve-year history, only Grant Hill has received this honor more than once. Two teams have had multiple players win the award: the San Antonio Spurs (three players) and the Seattle SuperSonics (two players). Luol Deng is the only foreign NBA player to win this award

Pauleta14
04-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks!
Although it is still not very clear for me...:lol

NickyDubs
04-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I'd prefer a championship.

Kori Ellis
04-02-2009, 07:15 PM
meaningless award

It's named for David Robinson. I don't think it's really meaningless. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
It's named for David Robinson. I don't think it's really meaningless. :lol

Nevermind. It's the Community Assist Award after David... go ahead trash Sportsmanship ;)

loveforthegame
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm sure he'd rather have another championship but Finley would take pride in this award.

urunobili
04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Nevermind. It's the Community Assist Award after David... go ahead trash Sportsmanship ;)

Hey Kori but AJ has one of these though :wow