PDA

View Full Version : Names of D-League teams are terrible

Austin_Toros
04-02-2009, 06:19 PM
It was recently announced that the name of the new D-League team would be the Main Red Claws. The Red Claws? People actually voted for that name. This made me think of the past and present D-League team names and realise how corny some of them sound. :lol

Lets take a looks at some former and current team names:
L.A. D-Fenders
Reno Bighorns
Fort Wayne Mad Ants
Sioux Falls Skyforce
Roanoke Dazzle (former team)
Arkansas RimRockers (former)
Greenville Groove (former)
North Charleston Lowgators (former)
Asheville Altitude (former)

I think the Mad Ants takes the cake for the worst team name. Just imagine the players: "I'm a Mad Ant!"
Seems as though the Austin Toros are the only team with a sensible name.

And for the record, what are "14ers" or "66ers" or the "76ers"???

http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/

ChumpDumper
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
If you don't know what a 76er is, something else is terrible.

timvp
04-02-2009, 06:47 PM

:lol

ChumpDumper
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Mad Ants is probably the best D-League name and logo out there. It's a play on the name of the General for whom the city is named, "Mad" Anthony Wayne.

66ers refers to the historical highway that runs through Tulsa.

14ers refers to the 50+ mountain peaks in Colorado that are over 14,000 feet in elevation.

76ers?....*sigh*

ChumpDumper
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm not disagreeing that many names suck, but most of the good ones are taken. Some teams try to get some local connection or even input as in the case of the Red Claws -- and their colors are supposed to be the same as the Celtics, so who knows how the hell that is going to work out.

Toros is a pretty weak name, but I can't think of a better one for Austin off the cuff.

Austin_Toros
04-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Maybe you don't realise that not everybody lives in America.

Austin_Toros
04-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Mad Ants is probably the best D-League name and logo out there. It's a play on the name of the General for whom the city is named, "Mad" Anthony Wayne.

I'm not disagreeing that many names suck,...

Toros is a pretty weak name, but I can't think of a better one for Austin off the cuff.

Mad Ants = good?
Toros = bad?

:rolleyes

mogrovejo
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
The Red Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States. The “Red” is in tribute to Boston Celtics Legend Arnold "Red" Auerbach.

I voted for the Maine Beacons (lighthouses are a hobby of mine).

A truly amazing name would be Maine Attraction.

The Colorado team will be relocated to Springfield. There are rumours their name will be the Springfield Peach Baskets.

Austin_Toros
04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
The Red Claws name celebrates the lobster industry in Maine. Maine is the largest producer of lobsters in the United States. The “Red” is in tribute to Boston Celtics Legend Arnold "Red" Auerbach.

I voted for the Maine Beacons (lighthouses are a hobby of mine).

A truly amazing name would be Maine Attraction.

The Colorado team will be relocated to Springfield. There are rumours their name will be the Springfield Peach Baskets.

Beacons sounds better than Red Claws. As for the Springfield Peach Baskets, I'm a fan. However, I think the Springfield Simpsons would be better. :lol