PDA

View Full Version : Do the Cavs know how to do anything other than shoot 3's?

DrHouse
04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm watching this 4th quarter and outside of Lebron James and obviously their bigs I don't think they have a single player capable of doing anything other than shooting 3's.

This has proven to NOT be a winning strategy over the last 50 years or so of the NBA. You live by the 3, you die by the 3. If the Cavs win it all this season they will definitely be bucking the trend in this regard. They are a very imbalanced offensive team in terms of how they attack.

Greg Oden
04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
The Lakers are a puss jumpshooting team too.

DrHouse
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
The Lakers have quite a few post options that they go to regularly. They are one of the best interior scoring teams in the league and I believe they lead the league in terms of offensive efficiency. If they were shooting 3's and jumpshots that would not be the case.

The Laker offense, when clicking, is the definition of balanced. You have the ultimate perimeter scorer in Bryant, a great spot up shooter in Fish, and three 7ft options that can all attack the rim and score inside the paint with ease.

MrChug
04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
No.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2009, 09:37 PM
The Lakers are a puss jumpshooting team too.

Moron:rolleyes

Ghazi
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm watching this 4th quarter and outside of Lebron James and obviously their bigs I don't think they have a single player capable of doing anything other than shooting 3's.

This has proven to NOT be a winning strategy over the last 50 years or so of the NBA. You live by the 3, you die by the 3. If the Cavs win it all this season they will definitely be bucking the trend in this regard. They are a very imbalanced offensive team in terms of how they attack.

Kobe shooting over 40% in the Finals would be bucking a trend :lol :lol

UrAphag
04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
You're a mavs fan.

That is all.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Dallas having something to put in their trophy case would be bucking a trend...

Ghazi
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Already did in 2006.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Already did in 2006.

fantasies don't count

mogrovejo
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
25% of Cleveland shots are 3s. That's not particularly high (SAS 24%, BOS&LAL 21%). And historically, the importance of 3 pointers in championship teams shot selection is between 22% and 29%.

I think you just made your theory out of nothing. In fact, elite 3pt shooting is a trait of winning basketball teams in the NBA.

DrHouse
04-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Anyone who watches the Cavs knows they are a bunch of 3pt chuckers + Lebron.

stretch
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Cavs are pretty much going to coast to the #1 seed. No need to risk injury.

Ghazi
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
That plays defense and rebounds. + Lebron is a pretty big mutha fuckin deal too.

stretch
04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
25% of Cleveland shots are 3s. That's not particularly high (SAS 24%, BOS&LAL 21%). And historically, the importance of 3 pointers in championship teams shot selection is between 22% and 29%.

I think you just made your theory out of nothing. In fact, elite 3pt shooting is a trait of winning basketball teams in the NBA.

Ownage.

Then again, its not hard to own DrHouse and the majority of lakers fans here.

DeadlyDynasty
04-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Ownage.

Then again, its not hard to own DrHouse and the majority of lakers fans here.

aww, isn't that adorable...a Mavs fan blowing a Celtics fan.

SpursDynasty
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
The Cavs are going home in the first round.

j.dizzle
04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
They might not shoot all 3's but they are basically a jumpshooting team. Big Z has no post game & just shoots. Veraflop cant do much either on the offensive end but shoot little floaters & Ben Wallace can't hit the side of the barn. Teams that are big inside match up well with Cleveland because Lebron doesn't drive as much so he has to rely on his shot also.

Ghazi
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Jump shooting teams can win championships though. See the 2004 Pistons and the 2006 Mavericks.

LEONARD
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
The Cavs are going home in the first round.

Another winner of a preDICKtion by the b-ball dipshit...

KidCongo
04-03-2009, 12:11 AM

Good work Boston :toast

carrao45
04-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Jump shooting teams can win championships though. See the 2004 Pistons and the 2006 Mavericks.

haha stupid Mavs fan. you lost, let it go.

:lobt::nope

DrHouse
04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Eh, I don't think anyone who saw the game tonight or any of the Cavs games this season can honestly refute the fact that Lebron's teammates by and large just chuck 3's. Even CLE's big men do nothing but shoot jumpers. Big Z has no post game to speak of and Varajeoa/Wallace don't do anything on offense other than rebound.

KidCongo
04-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Eh, I don't think anyone who saw the game tonight or any of the Cavs games this season can honestly refute the fact that Lebron's teammates by and large just chuck 3's. Even CLE's big men do nothing but shoot jumpers. Big Z has no post game to speak of and Varajeoa/Wallace don't do anything on offense other than rebound.

Ok so why don't they just leave defenders on the 3 point shooters and stop Z and Varejao?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Another winner of a preDICKtion by the b-ball dipshit...

Why are you calling yourself the b-ball dipshit?

Thunder Dan
04-03-2009, 08:14 AM
DrHouse's obsession with the Cavs continues, yet another thread devoted to the Cavs

stretch
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Ok so why don't they just leave defenders on the 3 point shooters and stop Z and Varejao?

lol, clever thinking

drhouse is a moron

Thunder Dan
04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
lol @ DrHouse's inability to see what kind of defense other teams play on Lebron, and in turn what open shots open up for his Cavalier teammates

KidCongo
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
lol @ DrHouse's inability to see what kind of defense other teams play on Lebron, and in turn what open shots open up for his Cavalier teammates

Ya, it would be dumb of a team not to use one of it's best strengths.

coldsweat
04-03-2009, 10:29 AM

dude you just got owned by mogrovejo, one game doesn't prove your argument. shut up and move on.

Chomag
04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Well the Cavs have had success by copying the Spurs defense maybe they think they can be better by copying their offense as well?

JamStone
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
No one can stop LeBron from getting to the rim. So if you got an unstoppable player like that, you're supposed to surround him with three point shooters so defenses cannot collapse or they get burned by three pointers. Cleveland also plays great team defense and is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league. That makes up for them being a primarily perimeter shooting team. And, yes, teams like that have won championships, even as recently as last year with the Celtics. KG isn't a low post scorer. He shoots midrange jumpers. The Celtics had Pierce who would attack the basket but the rest of the team were primarily jump shooters, including KG. It's different when teams are jump-shooting teams but also play elite team defense and rebound well. That's what Cleveland has done this year.

France B-boy
04-03-2009, 11:40 AM
No one can stop LeBron from getting to the rim.

The 98/*99 Spurs with the twin towers could!

TwinTowers
04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Cleveland is not a three point shooting team, but they do have a lot of three point shooters; in other words, they don’t shoot as much from the perimeter, but the guards are a constant threat, so they can keep driving lanes open for Lebron to do the damage by getting easy buckets for the bigs or just finishing at the rim himself. When defenses collapse to avoid dribble penetration, then Williams, Gibson, Szczerbiak, Pavlovic… find wide open shots. The problem is when the shooting is off and lebron cannot get into the paint.

I’m pretty sure Mo Williams won’t be a factor in the playoffs, and once again we’ll see how the cavaliers are a one man show. They will be lucky is they make it to the Finals.