PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a fan?

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
In light of Robinson's induction to the HOF, I thought it would be interesting to see how many became fans because of Big Dave...

Then I started wondering how David's influence compared to Tim's, Manu's, Tony's, and even Gervin's.

Also, use this thread to share your story, I'll start with mine.

I was born and raised in North Dakota, everyone in my home town was a fan of Minnesota teams (vikings, twins). However, before the Timberwolves arrived you kinda had to pick a basketball team... My older brother was a showtime lakers fan because of Magic, but I refused to like them just because him and I were so competitive. When David Robinson entered the league I was fascinated by him, and quickly became a huge fan. I had over 250 Robinson cards which is pretty good for an elementary kid from North Dakota. I've been a Spurs fan ever since... and I've still got all of those cards!

samikeyp
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
For me it wasn't a player, it was the fact that they represented my hometown. :toast

braeden0613
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I grew up into Spurs fandom but DRob had a huge part in that. I remember being 6 years old and watching him dominate in 95 only to be cut down by the Rockets (if only the freaking suns could have beat them). And I remember alot better the championships in 99 and 03 and seeing how happy and content he was after a career of hard work. The Spurs franchise in itself was saved by David and even though Tim is my favorite player now...David will always be my favorite.

urunobili
04-02-2009, 09:43 PM
D-Rob

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 09:43 PM
For me it wasn't a player, it was the fact that they represented my hometown. :toast

I figured that would be a case for a lot of people.... but I guess I'm more interested in finding out which player had the greatest influence in drawing fans to the spurs.

szumi
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
For me it was all about David.I watched my first nba game back in Poland in 1990.It was Blazers-Spurs.We got smashed by Clyde's Portland. I couldn't belive how good was Robinson.He was the same height as Duckworth(r.i.p.) but he was build and moving like Carl Levis. Since then I'm Spurs fan for life

mogrovejo
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Kevin McHale.

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Kevin McHale.

my bad, I forgot to include Mchale on the poll...

jaffies
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Easy. David Robinson.

RobSM64
04-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I grew up into Spurs fandom but DRob had a huge part in that. I remember being 6 years old and watching him dominate in 95 only to be cut down by the Rockets (if only the freaking suns could have beat them). And I remember alot better the championships in 99 and 03 and seeing how happy and content he was after a career of hard work. The Spurs franchise in itself was saved by David and even though Tim is my favorite player now...David will always be my favorite.

Ditto :toast

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Dave with the early lead...

duncan228
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Gotta represent Duncan. :)

I watched Robinson, and always respected him, but Duncan is the reason I'm a Spurs fan.

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Gotta represent Duncan. :)

I watched Robinson, and always respected him, but Duncan is the reason I'm a Spurs fan.

wait, what? You're a Duncan fan?!?!

baseline bum
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Mostly because I got to know all the players in the mid 80s from being in the Baseline Bums. Ice, Alvin, Artis, Moore, Sunvold, Nealy, Brickowski, Walter Berry, Greenwood, Mitchell, etc. David too, because my dad and I used to buy his biography from his dad to sell at baseball card shows his first year in the league (by the time David and TC came, the Bums had much less access to the players).

benefactor
04-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Me becoming a Spurs fan had more to do with the idea surrounding the Spurs. They were a hard-nosed team that played solid defense and fundamental offense. If I had to pick a player I would probably say Duncan, just because he is the personification of this.

purist
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Truth be known, it was Terry Stembridge, the former voice of the Spurs in the 70s. Listening to games on transistor radio in bed at night, Stembridge painted my first visions of the Spurs. When he signed off for the last time with his trademark "there will be another night," I just about cried.

I can still hear the cotton eyed joe playing out of a commercial break in the background and Pearl beer as a sponsor.

Good times.

baseline bum
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I can still hear the cotton eyed joe playing out of a commercial break in the background and Pearl beer as a sponsor.

Good times.

I miss hearing that before the tipoff of every game.

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Truth be known, it was Terry Stembridge, the former voice of the Spurs in the 70s. Listening to games on transistor radio in bed at night, Stembridge painted my first visions of the Spurs. When he signed off for the last time with his trademark "there will be another night," I just about cried.

Good times.

cool story

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
still no love for tony... I think France is asleep right now.

baseline bum
04-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I figured that would be a case for a lot of people.... but I guess I'm more interested in finding out which player had the greatest influence in drawing fans to the spurs.

If I had to pick the one player that most got me interested in the Spurs, it would have to be Alvin Robertson.

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
If I had to pick the one player that most got me interested in the Spurs, it would have to be Alvin Robertson.

right on... I wonder how many can honestly say that.

Laker Lanny
04-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Spurs and Fan don't belong in the same sentence!

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Spurs and Fan don't belong in the same sentence!

You just broke your own rule smart guy.

timvp
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Living in Key Biscayne in 1985, my parents were watching their beloved Lakers (:rolleyes) and they were playing the Spurs. They said we were moving to San Antonio in the next year so I decided to become a Spurs fan. All I remember about the game was celebrating each time George Gerwin scored, the Lakers winning by one point and me crying afterward.

FTL.

purist
04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I miss hearing that before the tipoff of every game.

You know what's strange? there's a whole generation of spurs fans who don't know what it's like to root for a team that's never won a championship. There's something to be said for enduring through the tough years, the near misses, and the heartbreaks of the oh-so-close, but not close enough.

Those experiences made the first title in 99 almost unbelievable. It was like the impossible finally became possible. I had to pinch myself over and over again. Then I realized that all the years of wishing, of overcoming the choke job at the hands of the Washington Bullets, the struggles against the wall of early 80s that was the Lakers, the gut wrenching losses to the ROckets with Moses Malone and then a former SPur BIlly Paultz....all that became worth the "pain" of being a fan.

So when i see posters screaming about Pop, running down certain players, the front office, the organization in general, just because they're not living up to expectations, I just smile. I know what it's like to really be hurting as a Spurs fan. And let me tell you, the number 3 seed in the West is not nearly enough to send me to the ledge.

IMO, Spurs fan could benefit from a little dose of perspective.

I hearken back to the words of Terry STembridge, regardless of the outcome, in the game of basketball "there will be another night."

Joe Schmoogins
04-02-2009, 11:18 PM
You know what's strange? there's a whole generation of spurs fans who don't know what it's like to root for a team that's never won a championship. There's something to be said for enduring through the tough years, the near misses, and the heartbreaks of the oh-so-close, but not close enough.

Those experiences made the first title in 99 almost unbelievable. It was like the impossible finally became possible. I had to pinch myself over and over again. Then I realized that all the years of wishing, of overcoming the choke job at the hands of the Washington Bullets, the struggles against the wall of early 80s that was the Lakers, the gut wrenching losses to the ROckets with Moses Malone and then a former SPur BIlly Paultz....all that became worth the "pain" of being a fan.

So when i see posters screaming about Pop, running down certain players, the front office, the organization in general, just because they're not living up to expectations, I just smile. I know what it's like to really be hurting as a Spurs fan. And let me tell you, the number 3 seed in the West is not nearly enough to send me to the ledge.

I hearken back to the words of Terry STembridge, regardless of the outcome, in the game of basketball "there will be another night."

great post!:toast

Juanobili
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I've been a Spurs fan my whole life. My dad's been a fan since Gervin played, so I chose him :)

Avitus1
04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
The Admiral.... nuff said.

Brutalis
04-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Joe, awesome thread. I'd love a wall of your sig, 1280x800ish. :lol

I was little, watched my first game on TV. Spurs/Hornets. 1992. DRob went insane on the stat sheet. And his interview post game wasn't typical even at a young age I understood, he gave all his credit to team, family, and his religion. Humble. I was addicted to that player, team, and sport there after. And in so many ways Dave and the Spurs helped me in my own personal life. Reading his words and comments made a connection and I liked who he was not to mention his freak ability on the hardwood. Tim became my favorite player there after his retirement. The day he retires I will have two personal icons and whatever new favorite player.

peskypesky
04-03-2009, 12:43 AM
started with Gervin when I was a kid...then got really excited in the Robinson era...and then Tim just kicked it into the stratosphere. we spurs fans are so incredibly lucky.

Toni61
04-03-2009, 12:57 AM
D-Rob and Rodman and then more and more Robinson. I read a Articel over Robinson and I was so fasciniered about him and so was I a Spurs-Fan. I wait and wait for a first game to see how good he is in German TV and them BBBAAAAMMM he was so great vs the Suns. Since this is he my Favorit and I`m a Spurs Fan. (Also 97).

onarollbaby
04-03-2009, 01:06 AM
D-rob!

Joe Schmoogins
04-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Joe, awesome thread. I'd love a wall of your sig, 1280x800ish. :lol

Thanks... dude. Give me a day and I'll make a wall for you. It'll probably be slightly different than the one in my sig though. Any other players you want in?

Libri
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
I didn't vote for anybody because I became a fan during those 2 or 3 years before DRob was drafted, when the Spurs were really bad. :depressed

Brutalis
04-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Thanks... dude. Give me a day and I'll make a wall for you. It'll probably be slightly different than the one in my sig though. Any other players you want in?

Looks cool with who's already in it. Thanks bro. :toast

J.T.
04-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Robinson, easy. David in his prime would put Dwight Howard on the block and bust his mother fucking ass. He also probably still owns all-time shot blocking records at schools he didn't even attend.

Tenacious D
04-03-2009, 02:25 AM

^ dats some old school shit right there pa-na!

Pssst! try to mix in some JBL and mouse in your retro posts. :tu

angelbelow
04-03-2009, 05:46 AM
i voted for david only because he was the first player i liked from the spurs. but now its definitely ginobili.

Bukefal
04-03-2009, 06:03 AM
TP !!! But i must say i always had a weak for the spurs because of David Robinson.

samikeyp
04-03-2009, 06:16 AM

Amen.

Robinson, easy. David in his prime would put Dwight Howard on the block and bust his mother fucking ass. He also probably still owns all-time shot blocking records at schools he didn't even attend.

And say God Bless You afterward. :)

Illusionarist
04-03-2009, 08:21 AM
It is all about Manu. His passion and skill is just what brought me to the Spurs.

LockBeard
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Tim is obviously a basketball god, but he will never surpass DRob in my eyes.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm always proud to say I was a Spurs fan before they began winning titles--being a military brat, the Spurs gave me and my folks something tangible to hold on to that reminded us of San Antonio no matter where the Air Force stationed us. Only lived in SA during 1 title run, but since it was '99, it will always be one of the sweetest memories I have of the Alamo City.

Like I said, not much of a guy to follow one particular player, but The Admiral just seemed to define what it really meant to be a Spur. He lent a regalness to wearing the Silver and Black that just made you proud to be a Spurs fan and a San Antonian, regardless of whether you were winning titles year in and year out. I think what I appreciate most about his influence is that Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and the rest of the current Spurs seem to carry that Robinson-like demeanor both on and off the court.

It's because of players like Robinson that I'm proud--defiantly proud--to be a Spurs fan, no matter how little or demeaning attention is heaped upon the Silver and Black by the media or fans of other teams around the league. I'm a Spurs fan for life!

GO SPURS GO!

sananspursfan21
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
the admiral no doubt

mexicanjunior
04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Being born and raised in San Antonio, I was always a Spurs fan and I can remember my dad taking me to the Hemisfair to see the likes of Cadillac Anderson, Alvin Robertson and Willie (not flipper) Anderson take on teams like the Lakers and Celtics. I didn't really get into sports until I was about 14 though, right about the time David and Sean starting playing for the Spurs. Those 2 guys really made me fans and I cried when they lost to the Blazers in the 1989 playoffs (damn you Rod and your no look pass!). From there, it was a steady diet of Spurs and Cowboys football for the remainder of my life...

Spurs Brazil
04-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Five-Oh in 1994

Spurs_9_20_21
04-03-2009, 03:08 PM
i want one too!! please!
i first got interested in around 2004. i had to really learn my facts about them and when i watched games i had to learn their numbers. i went onto wickipedia a lot to learn about them and i watched a lot of videos. so with that being said... Tim Duncan was the one that got me into the Spurs, then parker or gino.
:flag:

Joe Schmoogins
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from the church of Manu...

Joe Schmoogins
04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
i want one too!! please!

any size in particular?

Darrin
04-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Before the 2004-05 season I wasn't. I still would rather talk about the Pistons. But that playoff run in 2005 began my perception of San Antonio's offense. They play off the defensive side of the basketball.

As I grew into my current knowledge of the game, I came to appreciate Duncan's game more and more. San Antonio after the 2005 Finals went from a team I respected to a team I liked.

SpursWench21
04-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Born in the Mid 80's in Laredo, Tx. When my uncle and his family moved to San Antonio around 1990, he bought a box at HA and that allowed us to take trips up and watch a whole lot of games. Ever since i set my eyes on a Spurs game and the man they call "The Admiral", who in my opinion symbolizes Spurs basketball, ive been a fan ever since. I guess you could say i was lucky to be born into it, living so close. Moved up to SA in 95 with my folks and although my uncle lost his box later on in the 90's, that didnt stop me from going to countless games. Thanks to D-Rob, Sean, Avery, my old fav Willie A., Chuck P, and coupled with Tim, Pop, Manu, Tony, and Bruce...and last but not the least the Coyote, I would not trade my San Antonio Spurs Bball experiences for any other NBA experience in the world and will continue to be a fan the rest of my life.

de Soto
04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Nothing to do w/ Robinson. My very first Spurs game was at the Alamodome against the Lakers. The Spurs lost and a bunch of cockbag poser fans from Austin who were sitting behind me were cheering wildly for the Lakers after the game ended. I turned around and asked them if they were Bulls fans until Jordan quit. They went red as lobsters. Fuck I hate those kind of cocksuckers. So I became a Spurs fan although I still lived in New England at the time.

jag
04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Lived in SA when i was really young and remember seeing the Spurs in the HemisFair Arena and then in the Alamodome. Robinson is the reason the San Antonio Spurs even exist at this point. He built the foundation...then Tim Duncan came in and took over the rest.

:flag:

z0sa
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Nothing to do w/ Robinson. My very first Spurs game was at the Alamodome against the Lakers. The Spurs lost and a bunch of cockbag poser fans from Austin who were sitting behind me were cheering wildly for the Lakers after the game ended. I turned around and asked them if they were Bulls fans until Jordan quit. They went red as lobsters. Fuck I hate those kind of cocksuckers. So I became a Spurs fan although I still lived in New England at the time.

There's another Alamodome in new england?

I was born here, thus I became a spursfan. Which is actually pretty crazy, considering my parents arent basketball fans and my family is filled with Bulls and Lakers fans.

spursfan09
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Tim Duncan is the reason why I became a fan. I actually liked watching him play, and then came players like Tony and Manu, and how can you not love them or appreciate them just as much?

DAF86
04-03-2009, 04:41 PM
No sean?

bdictjames
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I was around 11-12 at that time, watched a Spurs game. The only teams I knew were Boston, Chicago, and L.A., I was in the Philippines at that time and didn't really care much for American sports. My uncle, who lived in L.A. and went back home for a vacation was watching a Lakers game. I decided I wanted to make some money, so I made a bet with him. 20 pesos (enough for an afternoon snack) if the other team wins, which happened to be the Spurs. Oddly enough the Spurs won, and I remember the last shot the Lakers took was after a missed Spur freethrow and someone took it and lobbed it backwards.

I then started to watch Spurs games, regularly watched the 03 playoffs, and got to be an NBA fan as well. I always have liked Tim Duncan, his quietness, Steve Kerr during that one Mavs game, and David Robinson. The Spurs won a championship that year. My whole family was against the Spurs the entire run, they didn't think Duncan was good enough. Sure showed them wrong. :downspin:

de Soto
04-03-2009, 05:18 PM
There's another Alamodome in new england?

Life must be very difficult for you. Airplanes had already been invented at that time.

I was born here, thus I became a spursfan. Which is actually pretty crazy, considering my parents arent basketball fans and my family is filled with Bulls and Lakers fans.

Probably those same stupid cockbags I remember from my first Spurs game. I should have bitchslapped them real good.

baseline bum
04-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Awesome post :tu

Duncan2177
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Ive been a spurs fan since i was 14 years old and that was back in 91 and big Dave is the reason why i became a spurs fan and always have and always will be. :flag:

temujin
04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
George Gervin.
He epitomized the player I was not.
I liked the colors and the fact that the Spurs had absolutely no chance of winning anything, coming from the ABA.
Antonio was also one of my favored Saint.

Even so, I woke up at 2 AM to LISTEN -no NBA games on TV here back then- to Game 5 of the Bullets series in the semifinals.
Having a very important test at university the very next morning.

Maybe one day I will even get the chance to actually have some business in San Antonio and actually attend one game.
Hopefully with Mr Ginobili playing.

Joe Schmoogins
04-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Brutalis, here's the wall... enjoy!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/skwix99/spam2.jpg

VaSpursFan
04-03-2009, 06:33 PM
it all started with David...I became a fan when I used to watch his games at Navy. Then I became a Tim fan when he was at Wake Forest and when he got drafted by the Spurs, I was thrilled. My 2 favorite college players on the same team...crazy.