PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Rotation Still Rotating

duncan228
04-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Spurs' rotation still rotating (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_rotation_still_rotating.html)
Jeff McDonald

INDIANAPOLIS — Spurs guard Manu Ginobili says he was only partially surprised to find himself back in the starting lineup Tuesday against Oklahoma City.

When it comes to Gregg Popovich and his lineup decisions, Ginobili has learned never to be fully surprised by anything.

“Usually, when you lose a couple games, he wants to change something,” said Ginobili, who hadn't started since Dec. 9. “And that's what he did.”

Popovich's tinkering, however, is typically relegated to midseason. This season, due in part to circumstances beyond anyone's control, he's still experimenting with eight regular-season games to go.

In the past few weeks, Bruce Bowen has gone from muscling up on Boston's Paul Pierce to taking two consecutive DNPs.

Jacque Vaughn has gone from street clothes to backing up Tony Parker. George Hill has gone from defending Kobe Bryant on the game's most important possession to unable to get off the bench against Oklahoma City.

Popovich admits it is a bit late to still be playing lineup roulette. Spurs players refuse to use the unsettled rotation to explain away the recent inconsistency in their play.

“There are no excuses,” Tim Duncan said. “What it comes down to it, we run the same system, we do the same stuff. We're just not playing well.”

Mahinmi to Austin: Oft-injured second-year center Ian Mahinmi has been assigned to the Spurs' NBDL affiliate in Austin.

Mahinmi, who had surgery on his right ankle in January, has yet to play for the Spurs this season.

Fin the Sportsman: Michael Finley has been named one of seven divisional winners of the NBA's Sportsmanship Award.

Playoff tickets: An item in Thursday's Spurs notebook incorrectly indicated that tickets for the Spurs' first two playoff games would go on sale Saturday. In fact, they won't be available until Saturday, April 11.

Express-News staff writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
I wrote a thread about this nearly two weeks ago, and these fucking tools have only picked up on it in the last few days.

Duuuuuuuuh.

:rolleyes

timaios
04-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Popovich admits it is a bit late to still be playing lineup roulette.

So, there's still hope !
Please, please, Pop, go back to old school Spurs !

:flag::flag::flag:

peskypesky
04-03-2009, 12:54 AM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

if Hill is shaky, switch Manu to PG and bring Udoka in. if Gooden hasn't got the system down, put Oberto in.

what's so fucking hard about that, Pop?

Brutalis
04-03-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm confident. We got the tools to win here, I'm not worried about a rotation of players coming off injuries and a new addition on top of it all.

xtremesteven33
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

if Hill is shaky, switch Manu to PG and bring Udoka in. if Gooden hasn't got the system down, put Oberto in.

i know it sounds kinda funny but i use that starting lineup in NBA2k9 and i kick ASS with that lineup.....great defense and sufficient offense. Plus in the game Manu coming off the bench is a BEAST!!

Im doubtful though Pop would go to a lineup like that....:depressed

Dro210
04-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Fin the Sportsman: Michael Finley has been named one of seven divisional winners of the NBA's Sportsmanship Award.

7 Divisions? lol... does McDonald ever get his facts straight?

itzsoweezee
04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

i'm pretty sure popovich hasn't played that lineup even once this season.

crc21209
04-03-2009, 03:17 AM
i know it sounds kinda funny but i use that starting lineup in NBA2k9 and i kick ASS with that lineup.....great defense and sufficient offense. Plus in the game Manu coming off the bench is a BEAST!!

lol how weird. I use that line-up too.

FTLSpur
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
TP
Manu
Bruce
TD
Bonner
should start tonight...

Spurminator
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Wow, very informative. This explains everything. Thanks for asking all of the tough questions, Jeff.

MoSpur
04-03-2009, 09:56 AM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

I like that lineup. A lot. Bowen needs to start. I don't care of he only plays six minutes in the first quarter, he needs to start to try to control the opposing team's star from going off on the Spurs. Bowen isn't the Bowen of 2005 or whatever, but the man has experience and determination. He's dirty and has tricks up his sleeve that can still make it hard for that player he is guarding.

Obstructed_View
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Pop's going back on that "done for the season" thing with Ian so he can bring him back and have another personnel combination.

Obstructed_View
04-03-2009, 10:00 AM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

if Hill is shaky, switch Udoka to PG. if Gooden hasn't got the system down, put Oberto in.

I agree, with my one amendment in bold. You get great defense, great offense, a post presence, outside shooting for the entire game. It's so sensible, Pop will never do it.

Duncan2177
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM

If he doesn't he's a idiot, Its not rocket science.:rolleyes

celldweller
04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

+1
Totally Agree with line-up

lurker23
04-03-2009, 04:35 PM
PG Parker
SG Mason
SF Bowen
PF Duncan
C Thomas

reserves
PG Hill
SG Manu
SF Finley
PF Gooden
C Bonner

:tu Agreed. The only potential issue I see with this is that Finley sometimes has issues coming off the bench, though admittedly he's very streaky in a starter's role as well. Also, Bowen would have to make sure to have his corner-3 point shot intact for the first unit to get the right offensive balance, particularly if Mason is cold.

Edit for elaboration: Despite the presence of TP and TD, taking Bonner and Finley out of the starting lineup could be detrimental to the offense, though it would likely be an improvement to the defense.

Obstructed_View
04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Fast breaks go up when you have defense that can generate blocks and steals.