PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Spurs haters on a Spurs forum?

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Seriously, I've never seen so much negativity directed at the very team a forum is attempting to support. I know I'm new to SpursTalk (been a lurker for a while, but usually post on either espn.com or poundingtherock.com), but regardless of how you feel about Pop's rotations, Timmy's knees, or our relative defensive mediocrity, how bout us collectively showing a little more support for the Silver and Black as they prepare for what will most likely be one of the most grueling postseason runs of the last decade? Not saying we need to be blind homers, but some of y'all "Spurs fans," sound more like two-year olds ready to quit at the first sign of adversity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if people really wanted to read that mess, espn's message boards are full of that crap. I assure you that's not the attitude that's brought 4 titles to the Alamo City and it damn sure isn't the attitude of any Spurs fan worthy of supporting the Pride of the Great Lone Star State.

Bottom line: Be objective, but more than anything, BE PROUD OF THIS TEAM!

GO SPURS GO! :lobt2::flag:

xtremesteven33
04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
I just call it like i see it

France B-boy
04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe your just used to over moderated sports forums and this new thing called freedom of speech is freaking you out.

Blue Jew
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm new to SpursTalk (been a lurker for a while,

Apparently you didn't lurk enough if you don't get how ST operates.

Dex
04-03-2009, 11:49 AM
:tu

In 2007, the Spurs were too old.

In 2005, the Spurs were outmatched.

In 2003, the Spurs were too inexperienced.

In 1999, the Spurs were just the Spurs.

Every year, the pundits spout reasons why the Spurs won't win it all.

Sure, I wish things looked better going into the Postseason just like anybody else, but I'm going down with this ship either way.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Let me just clarify: I'm not saying we should shutter our eyes to whatever mistakes the team/front office may or may not be making, and I'm not calling for over moderation (if you've ever been to PtR.com, you'd see it's anything but). I'm just calling for more vocal support of our boys as they get ready for the postseason. After all, that's what it's all about in the end--succeeding in the PO and winning titles.

SenorSpur
04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Constructive criticism can and should be objective. So long as it's not brutal, without facts, or over-the-top. It also doesn't mean you support the team any less, as a fan. Let's not sit here and see everything through rose-colored glasses and that all is well. This team has flaws. Doesn't mean they're not contenders. Pop has made his share of mistakes. Doesn't mean he's not a great coach. R.C. has made his share of mistakes. Doesn't mean he's not a competent GM. The team and staff are not infallable. Some criticism is deserved.

B-Boy
04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm just calling for more vocal support of our boys as they get ready for the postseason. .

psssst! you need real fans for that.

I take it you are new as a Spurs fan. Spur fans don't really support the Spurs until they make it to the semi finals then you see the car flags pop up and the crowds at the airport.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
psssst! you need real fans for that.

I take it you are new as a Spurs fan. Spur fans don't really support the Spurs until they make it to the semi finals then you see the car flags pop up and the crowds at the airport.

Not a new fan, been a Spurs fan since '93, and was practically born in San Antonio. Die-hard fan all year long--not just during the PO.

LionZion
04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I love PTR. Its fun. Its decent. And most of all, when ppl write, they make sense. Whether its bad or good.
Here there is all that, but a lot of other stuff which is unnecessary. But you do hear some cool bit of news here fast now and then.

mouse
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Constructive criticism can and should be objective. So long as it's not brutal, without facts, or over-the-top. It also doesn't mean you support the team any less, as a fan. Let's not sit here and see everything through rose-colored glasses and that all is well. This team has flaws. Doesn't mean they're not contenders. Pop has made his share of mistakes. Doesn't mean he's not a great coach. R.C. has made his share of mistakes. Doesn't mean he's not a competent GM. The team and staff are not infallable. Some criticism is deserved.

but the problem comes from posters using the right to criticize option to flat out insult and turn their views into a bitch session. Making topics like....

Fuck this team we suck!!

Pop has to go and now!!

For the love of God can we trade Parker?

Face it we suck this year See you next season.

And so on......I am all for topics like Pop wtf was you thinking? as long as the poster waits until the playoffs before they use the word Suck

How can anyone say a team sucks when they are headed to the playoffs?

I would love to have some screen captures of the *99 season to see who gave up or bitch all the time just have to eat crow later.

All I am saying is a real fan or a mature fan doesn't bitch like a little girl about the regular season when they know their team needs their support come playoff time.

FTLSpur
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Some criticism is deserved.

BigVee
04-03-2009, 01:07 PM
It is a way of life on this site. I use this great forum to catch up on news and inside info I could never get in SoCal. But as far as the doom and gloom and TP is better than Manu and Pop is an idiot and all the negativity...I just ignore it because most of it comes from the emotion of a game just finished. Others have legit observations and those I do read...but the day following a tough loss is filled with mostly a bunch of worthless whining.

4down
04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
but the problem comes from posters using the right to criticize option to flat out insult and turn their views into a bitch session. Making topics like....

Fuck this team we suck!!

Pop has to go and now!!

And so on......I am all for topics like Pop wtf was you thinking? as long as the poster waits until the playoffs before they use the word Suck

I would love to have some screen captures of the *99 season to see who gave up or bitch all the time just have to eat crow later.

All I am saying is a real fan or a mature fan doesn't bitch like a little girl about the regular season when they know their team needs their support come playoff time.

mouse is spot on... It is way easier to bitch and moan.

I don't think Pop is the genius or fool some make him out to be. I am optimistic that the Spurs will be able to compete for the title.

GSG

:flag:

Borosai
04-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Spurs suck.

Go Spurs!

jag
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Fuck this team we suck!!

Pop has to go and now!!

Excellent post, mouse. This is your best post in this thread so far.

Spursfan092120
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Fuck this team we suck!!

Pop has to go and now!!

I agree with Mouse...wow....I'm scared. :lol

spurs1990
04-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Seriously, I've never seen so much negativity directed at the very team a forum is attempting to support. I know I'm new to SpursTalk (been a lurker for a while, but usually post on either espn.com or poundingtherock.com), but regardless of how you feel about Pop's rotations, Timmy's knees, or our relative defensive mediocrity, how bout us collectively showing a little more support for the Silver and Black as they prepare for what will most likely be one of the most grueling postseason runs of the last decade? Not saying we need to be blind homers, but some of y'all "Spurs fans," sound more like two-year olds ready to quit at the first sign of adversity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if people really wanted to read that mess, espn's message boards are full of that crap. I assure you that's not the attitude that's brought 4 titles to the Alamo City and it damn sure isn't the attitude of any Spurs fan worthy of supporting the Pride of the Great Lone Star State.

Firstly, this isn't little league, not even college atheltics. These players, coaches, and GM are operating a business, one thats dependent on consumers, who would be us.

This team has won 4 titles, but how is it that we've been surpassed by the Celtics, Magic, Cavs, and Lakers so dramatically this season? You remember how bad the C's and Lakers were just in 2007 and 2005 respectively?

The criticism lies in the Spurs' management sitting on their laurels, not improving the roster with any youthful talent to supplement the big 3. Really, if the Spurs are eliminated this postseason, who outside of the big 3 is deserving to be back on the roster.

I actually look fwd to that scenario, which is unfortunately likely, because it will be the impetus for management to retool the roster, retool their philosophy, and allow me to actually pay attention to the Spurs during the regular season instead of being bored out of my mind watching the same old, boring players we've had since 2006, god love them. Maybe bc I live in the Triangle and see the excitement each new season brings from the incoming recruits on the local teams.

It doesn't fill me with anticipation knowing we don't even have a first round pick this June. I mean how the hell are we ever gonna get younger, more athletic, while still having Timmy to anchor the squad. I hate watching Boston knowing there old big 3 is bolstered by the likes of Big Baby, Rondo, Perkins, Powe, or the Lakers having Bynum and Ariza.

Do you actually analyze the NBA on the whole, or do you just pay attention to the Spurs whilst being oblivious to the competition?

Go Spurs Go, indeed.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Firstly, this isn't little league, not even college atheltics. These players, coaches, and GM are operating a business, one thats dependent on consumers, who would be us.

This team has won 4 titles, but how is it that we've been surpassed by the Celtics, Magic, Cavs, and Lakers so dramatically this season? You remember how bad the C's and Lakers were just in 2007 and 2005 respectively?

The criticism lies in the Spurs' management sitting on their laurels, not improving the roster with any youthful talent to supplement the big 3. Really, if the Spurs are eliminated this postseason, who outside of the big 3 is deserving to be back on the roster.

I actually look fwd to that scenario, which is unfortunately likely, because it will be the impetus for management to retool the roster, retool their philosophy, and allow me to actually pay attention to the Spurs during the regular season instead of being bored out of my mind watching the same old, boring players we've had since 2006, god love them. Maybe bc I live in the Triangle and see the excitement each new season brings from the incoming recruits on the local teams.

It doesn't fill me with anticipation knowing we don't even have a first round pick this June. I mean how the hell are we ever gonna get younger, more athletic, while still having Timmy to anchor the squad. I hate watching Boston knowing there old big 3 is bolstered by the likes of Big Baby, Rondo, Perkins, Powe, or the Lakers having Bynum and Ariza.

Do you actually analyze the NBA on the whole, or do you just pay attention to the Spurs whilst being oblivious to the competition?

Go Spurs Go, indeed.

Did you actually read my post? I wrote that we don't need to be blind homers, and I don't hesitate to criticize my own team. My beef is with people who don't analyze anything and act like drunk monkeys after a win and chicken little when we lose. I'll be frank, I'm not all that concerned with the lack of a first round pick this summer. When was the last time we relied on that as a last hope? Even during "rebuilding" years (when we've still been posting 50+ win seasons). The FO, while far from perfect, has made enough savvy moves over the last decade to give me confidence that even if we don't go all the way this year, moves will be made to bolster our position in the conference for the next go round.

Lastly, I question the fanship of anyone who would honestly rather see their team be eliminated when we're still among the the top seeds in the conference. While I understand the motive, the fan in me wants to see this team succeed, regardless of the circumstances.

wuss cones
04-03-2009, 02:17 PM

Your crazy to compare ST.com and say its more negative than either ptr or espn. At ptr Aron Stampler just shits on tony parker in all of his posts and now Aron Stampler told the owner to either let him post how he want or he'd quit so Matthew quit instead. I'm sad because Matthew was the only good writer on the website. Ptr is a joke and more negative that ST.com is on its worst days at least here we don't have to read about how horrible parker is in every topic, how bruce bowen sucks and how all the role players suck. sorry lonestar but you are blind. and at espn its just a bunch of trash, spammers and instigaters. 48minutes is the only place that compares to ST.com. hopefully 48minutes can hire Matthew and then it could be awesome.

LoneStarState'sPride
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Your crazy to compare ST.com and say its more negative than either ptr or espn. At ptr Aron Stampler just shits on tony parker in all of his posts and now Aron Stampler told the owner to either let him post how he want or he'd quit so Matthew quit instead. I'm sad because Matthew was the only good writer on the website. Ptr is a joke and more negative that ST.com is on its worst days at least here we don't have to read about how horrible parker is in every topic, how bruce bowen sucks and how all the role players suck. sorry lonestar but you are blind. and at espn its just a bunch of trash, spammers and instigaters. 48minutes is the only place that compares to ST.com. hopefully 48minutes can hire Matthew and then it could be awesome.

I liked Matthew a lot, too. And trust me, I and quite a few other PtR posters have gone around the horn with Stampler over the Parker bashing. It's more of a site joke now, as even Stampler has been forced to give Parker his props this season. I could go on, but I really don't want to compare sites--ST, PtR, espn, and 48MoH all have unique takes on the Silver and Black.

Just think of me as an undyingly loyal and positive supporter of the Spurs, even during the "rough" times (if we really are spoiled enough as a fanbase to call the #3 seed in the West a terrible thing).

sananspursfan21
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
yah, we gotta support the spurs. too many nba fans hate'em already.

mexicanjunior
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm proud of what the Spurs have accomplished in the Duncan era and appreciate the 4 titles we have been able to celebrate because of it. That said, I am also a realist and can see the writing on the wall regarding this team. Criticizing your team for poor play does not mean we still don't root for them on game night, it just means you need to vent your frustration over poor play and pray to god someone with some say will hear your concerns and make changes (which I know probably isn't possible)...

4down
04-03-2009, 03:48 PM
On the plus side, it's nice that domination is an expectation. For real.

Or at least , it was, for a lot of us :lol

GSG