PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever written a research paper without reading the story youre writing about?

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm currently in the process of a 5-7 page research paper and haven't even cracked open the book yet. I've done all the pre writing sutff needed and am about to start on the actual paper itself.
Anyone ever done this before? Is it hard?
It seems kind of easy right now, but I don;t know if I can get 5 pages of material by just reading sources of criticism.

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm currently in the process of a 5-7 page research paper and haven't even cracked open the book yet. I've done all the pre writing sutff needed and am about to start on the actual paper itself.
It seems kind of easy right now, but I don;t know if I can get 5 pages of material by just reading sources of criticism.

I bullshitted my way through every single paper I turned in during college.

I even made up all my sources.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2009, 12:41 PM

That explains why you have shit for brains.

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM

Just imagine those that graded my papers and gave me an "A" each time.

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I call bullshit.

CuckingFunt
04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Every time I've ever cut corners on the research portion, I end up kicking myself. I invariably spend enough time agonizing over what I'm writing and whether or not it actually makes sense that I could have just read the damn thing.

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I call "I don't give a fuck".

I bullshitted my way through every paper.

You should've read my paper on Civil Rights.

ATRAIN

I call bullshit.

I all bullshit too

peewee's lovechild
Every time I've ever cut corners on the research portion, I end up kicking myself. I invariably spend enough time agonizing over what I'm writing and whether or not it actually makes sense that I could have just read the damn thing.

I went through that a couple of times.

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I all bullshit too

Is that caveman talk for something?

Dr. Gonzo
If it's anything like your "novel" I can't see how you would get an A on that.

ATRAIN
I once wrote a research paper about the dangers of letting pee wee's mom give you head. I got an A+ and pee wee's mom got a dick in her mouth.

peewee's lovechild
If it's anything like your "novel" I can't see how you would get an A on that.

Hey, it happened.

Dr. Gonzo
I once wrote a research paper about the dangers of letting pee wee's mom give you heard. I got an A+ and pee wee's mom got a dick in her mouth.

What's heard?

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I once wrote a research paper about the dangers of letting pee wee's mom give you heard. I got an A+ and pee wee's mom got a dick in her mouth.

What dangers?

She has no teeth.

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
What dangers?

She has no teeth.

She gnaws on that shit

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
What's heard?

you know like a heard of cows since pee wees mom is a vaca

peewee's lovechild
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
She gnaws on that shit

She. Has. No. Teeth.

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
She. Has. No. Teeth.

She puts her fake ones in, but its always funny to knock them out when I donkey punch her

CuckingFunt
04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
you know like a heard of cows since pee wees mom is a vaca

What's a "heard of cows"?

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
What's a "heard of cows"?

Pee wee's relatives

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Can we please get back on topic and help Mr. Regulator with his question.

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Sorry its kind of hard to stay on topic when pee wee comes in with his lies

dirk4mvp
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I've been tempted to, but if the professor caught it, you'd be pretty screwed. But I doubt he'd care enough in the first place to go check the sources.

CuckingFunt
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I think we are helping.

He's got a paper to write, and if we stay on topic he'd be in here reading all day.

SpursWoman
04-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I've always read the book ... I was geeky like that, I guess.

I made a lot of money off people that didn't, though. :nerd

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I've been tempted to, but if the professor caught it, you'd be pretty screwed. But I doubt he'd care enough in the first place to go check the sources.
It's not the sources I'm overly worried about, just having enough topic to write about.

I think we are helping.

He's got a paper to write, and if we stay on topic he'd be in here reading all day.
Yeah but I spend alot of time in ehre anyway so....I always say I dont have time to read it but I guess if I stopped fucking around on the internet it would probably help

I've always read the book ... I was geeky like that, I guess.

I made a lot of money off people that didn't, though. :nerd

I actually want to read the book but I dont have time. see above post.

truthfully though I am reall ybusy now and could squeeze it in but then I would have no time to drink.

ATRAIN
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Whats your paper about?

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I dont realy want to say on hte off chance my instructor might post in here. I know it's a slim chance but still

Dr. Gonzo
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Cliffs Notes

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
yeah i guess i could do that

im not really looking for ways to read the book, just if i can pull this off i guess. i might end up giong and buying the book this afternoon before work.

ploto
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
It really depends on the assignment. You can research others' literary criticism without having ever read it yourself, I suppose. But is this paper truly a research ppaer or is it supposed to be your analysis of a novel.

Don Quixote
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM

My confidence in the integrity of our higher education system is renewed.

ashbeeigh
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I did it plenty of times for my Spanish classes. That was because I was just too darn lazy to translate the literature.

My professor ended up liking how I "researched" the piece because I always brought copies of the English version for my classmates. Tops there were 8 of us in the class.

He said, "Ashley..you have to go to Grad School because you love to research..." Bullshit. I just didn't like to translate.

iminlakerland
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

You and me both!

angrydude
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
1/4 of your paper is telling the teacher what you are going to tell him is and what you have just told him was

1/4 of your paper is a summary of the book.

1/4 is lifting quotes from the book.

1/4 of your paper is 2 sentences of original ideas about the topic of each paragraph.

done.

The Reckoning
04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
pay 4cc to do it. chances are he's read it.

timvp
04-03-2009, 09:25 PM
:lol @ reading books for school work. That takes away the challenge. It's kinda like cheating, actually.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
peewee - I call bull shit on your sources comment. Either that, or I really really underestimated how bull shit UTSA is.

Funt - Shut the hell up, yo, you right bad ass papers without fail in your sleep and you should know it

TheReckoning - my thoughts exactly, he's even read puddinghead wilson fifty times.

timvp - lol at you commenting on school

Regulator - are you in college or what? Just skim the damn thing, and highlight the main points...back in the day you were a fast reader like no other

Don Quixote
04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow. This is what passes for higher education nowadays.

No wonder we're falling behind India. We're screwed.

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Regulator - are you in college or what? Just skim the damn thing, and highlight the main points...back in the day you were a fast reader like no other
No I just like writing research papers for fun.

Wow. This is what passes for higher education nowadays.

No wonder we're falling behind India. We're screwed.

Yeah crazy huh? I bet it was ssssssuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr rr hard when you went to college. did you walk uphill both ways in teh snow?

remember my education when you fly on one of my planes and you hear my voice saying"This is your captain speaking....Mr. Regulator"

Don Quixote
04-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah crazy huh? I bet it was ssssssuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr rr hard when you went to college. did you walk uphill both ways in teh snow?

remember my education when you fly on one of my planes and you hear my voice saying"This is your captain speaking....Mr. Regulator"

No, I'm not that old. And I think my college was waaayy too easy on the students. And the place I got my Master's Degree was tough in a few areas, but (and I don't agree with this) if you showed up and tried, you passed. In fact, you'd get a C.

I was not aware you were a pilot. That's a great job, and I imagine you had to study quite a bit for it. Math ... physics ... what else? Um, how to fly this thing? Good for you.

I'm not saying every college in America needs to be the Sorbonne, but I do think our higher education is inflating grades and watering down educational standards, in the name of making every student a "success." And the colleges have a vested interest in keeping it that way. They $ell the degrees (or classes), get the federal dollars, get the tuition dollars, the kids get the (sometimes worthless) degrees. They're happy! So what if half the kids never graduate? Or, out of the ones who do, 80% of em end up in jobs that probably did not (or should not) require a degree to begin with.

chode_regulator
04-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Or, out of the ones who do, 80% of em end up in jobs that probably did not (or should not) require a degree to begin with.

def agree with you there! I see jobs out there that require a masters and make like 40k/year. wtf is that all about?

The Reckoning
04-03-2009, 11:21 PM

wait a second...

i thought youre the dude that UTSA students ask for help when needing to find something for research

LaMarcus Bryant
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
This is like that time mookie went up to a big black guy at the icehouse and asked him how big he thought shaq's cock was

mookie2001
04-04-2009, 12:03 AM
dude i just got done with profit

but 4cc is real commercial now cReg

i was like uuggggggnnnnnnnhhn
bubonic chronic

he was like im not down with fuddruckers

chode_regulator
04-04-2009, 12:13 PM
dude i just got done with profit

but 4cc is real commercial now cReg

i was like uuggggggnnnnnnnhhn
bubonic chronic

he was like im not down with fuddruckers

fuddruckers has the best burgers i said

next to red robin

Winehole23
04-04-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah i guess i could do that

im not really looking for ways to read the book, just if i can pull this off i guess. i might end up giong and buying the book this afternoon before work.If you have time to read it, read it.

Otherwise, get a pony of some kind (Cliff's Notes, online synopses, whatever) and crib from the secondary literature, being careful to cite what you do not plagiarize.

Good luck!

Trainwreck2100
04-04-2009, 06:10 PM
it wasn't a paper but it was an oral report, i got the "cliffs notes" from somebody who took the class the semester before just in case the prof called on me and sure enough the lady split us into groups and when it came our time to present i was the only one who had a remote idea what went on in the story

ploto
04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
def agree with you there! I see jobs out there that require a masters and make like 40k/year. wtf is that all about?

Welcome to the world of librarians

Don Quixote
04-04-2009, 09:25 PM

No kidding. I'm not against higher education -- I just want to preserve its intergrity and make it a place for real learning. Not indoctrination, not useless memorization of stuff you could care less about.

When I was in college, I thought -- what are half the kids DOING here?? And they get A's?

My master's degree was challenging, but I think my grades in Hebrew, Greek, and Pastoral Leadership were to high.

J.T.
04-05-2009, 05:54 AM
I bullshitted every paper I ever wrote in college but I did read some of the material. Not all of it, I was just ace at finding good source quotes. And when you're really good at writing, it's like selling glasses to a blind man.

ploto
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
When I was in college, I thought -- what are half the kids DOING here?? And they get A's?

My master's degree was challenging, but I think my grades in Hebrew, Greek, and Pastoral Leadership were to high.

I had an older professor in my master's program admit to me that he gives higher grades now than when he first taught. I could not believe he gave me 100's on papers that I wrote. I was like- I never even got a 100 in high school on a paper! He said basically that what used to be an A is a 100 now; that what were B's are now A's, and what were C's are now B's. Basically, he said he did not feel right about giving me the same A he gave to other students so he gave me 100's. When we had to share papers with the class, I was shocked that people in a master's program wrote so poorly.

J.T.
04-05-2009, 06:55 PM

I thought my grades in Advanced Potsmoking, Binge Drinking 101 and Graduate Level Scoring with Drunk Women were too high as well.

baseline bum
04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
No kidding. I'm not against higher education -- I just want to preserve its intergrity and make it a place for real learning. Not indoctrination, not useless memorization of stuff you could care less about.

The grade inflation is disgusting. My school's math department would center the grades at the B-level. I liked our engineering dept better though; C was the average and you had to work for the A- or above. I never found college about memorization though, and indoctrination through professors seems like a conservative myth in my experiences. I can't think of one time I had a professor start talking left-wing politics or complain about Bush. Some of the student groups who would harass you on the way to class definitely would throw their politics in your face, but they weren't nearly as bad as the outside activists and the preachers who weren't affiliated with the school.