PDA

View Full Version : Another Benefit Of Winning MVP: A Spot In The Hall Of Fame

duncan228
04-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Another benefit of winning MVP: A spot in the Hall of Fame (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nba_com-mvprace-nba-20090403&prov=nba_com&type=lgns)
By Rob Peterson, NBA.com

On Monday, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame will announce its Class of 2009 out of a group of finalists which include Michael Jordan, David Robinson, John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Bernard King, Dennis Johnson and Don Nelson among others.

You could bet all of the $1.1 trillion in international bailout money pledged by the G20 on Thursday that you'll see two more NBA MVP's—Jordan and Robinson—enter the Hall in their first year of consideration.

As a matter of fact, word has already leaked that Robinson, the 1995 NBA MVP, a two-time NBA champ and two-time Olympic gold medalist, has received a call from the Hall.

And if you think that Jordan, a five-time NBA MVP, a six-time Finals MVP, a two-time Olympic gold medalist and the greatest per-game scorer in NBA history (30.1 ppg), will need to buy a ticket to walk through the Hall's doors in Springfield, Mass., … well, you're on the wrong website. We kindly ask you to leave.

For those of you who are staying, we can tell you that, in addition to death and taxes, the only other inevitability in this life is that, if a player wins an MVP, he will be a Hall of Famer.

From the first NBA MVP, Hawks legend Bob Pettit, to Rockets great Hakeem Olajuwon, who won the Maurice Podoloff trophy in 1994, every Hall-eligible candidate who has won the NBA's Most Valuable Player trophy—17 men in all—is in the Hall of Fame.

Every. Single. One. That total should increase to 19 when Robinson and Jordan make Monday's cut.

So, when a player enters the exclusive club of Most Valuable Players——he is also on the fast track to hoops immortality.

Of the eight NBA MVPs who aren't in the Hall of Fame, seven are still active—Shaquille O'Neal (2000), Allen Iverson (2001), Tim Duncan (2002-03), Kevin Garnett (2004), Steve Nash (2005-06), Dirk Nowitzki (2007) and Kobe Bryant (2008). The eighth, two-time NBA MVP Karl Malone (1997 and 1999), is eligible next season.

So what about them? Do they belong? We argue yes, absolutely.

Karl Malone: In addition to the two MVPs, Malone is the No. 2 overall scorer in NBA history with 36,928 points. A lock.

Shaquille O'Neal: One MVP, four NBA titles, three Finals MVPs and the seventh-leading scorer in NBA history with 27,524 points. If that doesn't make O'Neal a lock, I don't know what does.

Allen Iverson: Iverson could be the toughest case. He's the only NBA MVP, in or out of the Hall, with only one MVP and no NBA titles. Bob McAdoo won one NBA MVP, but he won two titles with the Lakers in the '80s. The case for Iverson is that he's closing in on the top 20 in all-time scoring (21st with 23,983 just behind Patrick Ewing's 24,815). Artis Gilmore is the only member of the top 20 scoring list who is eligible and not in the Hall (and that's for another column).

Tim Duncan: A two-time MVP and a four-time NBA champ. Possibly the greatest power forward ever. Lock.

Kevin Garnett: We can apply the Oscar Robertson principle here: one NBA MVP, one NBA title. Plus, at No. 31 on the all-time scoring list, Garnett should be in. Every eligible player in the top 33—other than Gilmore—is in the Hall.

Steve Nash: If every NBA MVP is in the Hall, what does that say about two-time winners? You got it. Lock. Plus, as a Canadian, you must take into account his international contributions.

Dirk Nowitzki: See also, Steve Nash minus one MVP. Being one of the first international players to make a huge impact on the NBA should guarantee his place in Springfield.

Kobe Bryant: A three-time NBA champ, only 30 years old and already 23rd on the all-time scoring list? Lock.

Outside Looking In (OLI) 11. Pau Gasol 12. Paul Pierce 13. Dirk Nowitzki 14. Joe Johnson 15. Tony Parker 16. Ray Allen 17. Mo Williams 18. Kevin Garnett 19. Devin Harris 20. Carmelo Anthony

Old School 44
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Nice article, but I didn't get the Outside Looking In?
He talks about league MVPs, then he has this list???
Also, not that I'm a homer, but where's Manu. He's definitely a lock for his international play alone!

duncan228
04-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Nice article, but I didn't get the Outside Looking In?
He talks about league MVPs, then he has this list???
Also, not that I'm a homer, but where's Manu. He's definitely a lock for his international play alone!

Manu doesn't have a league MVP, I assume that's why he's not listed.

The Outside Looking In is strange, Dirk is there as well as on the list.

Old School 44
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I got that about Manu not being league MVP, but neither do many of the others on just the "Outside Looking In" list? and Devin Harris, Mo Williams? huh?

04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
the author says iverson is the only one with one mvp and no titles. dirk also has one mvp and no nba titles.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Barkley only won 1 MVP (1993) and, as many know, never won a title.

I think the nexus here is that a player almost always has to earn his stripes before being included in the MVP conversation, meaning that the players who actually have a chance to win MVP tend to be guys who have already established themselves as great players over the course of at least a few years.

To me, the lone exception seems to be Nash, who was an All-Star level player (and had made Third Team All-NBA twice) but wasn't really considered to be truly among the game's elite players before winning his MVPs. He was essentially Tony Parker without the titles. With the mounting evidence (duh) that D'Antoni's system inflated numbers for his stars -- both in terms of team pace and individual minutes -- Nash's best years seem more of an anomaly than a representation of his career. I'm certain that Nash will go in -- and probably on the first ballot -- but without the years with D'Antoni, I don't know that he's a no-brainer Hall of Famer.

chreph
04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
THIS was on NBA.com? Wow...

BTW, that OLI list made no sense whatsoever :rolleyes

urunobili
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Manu doesn't have a league MVP, I assume that's why he's not listed.

Hate to say it but... neither does TP and he is listed below in the article

chreph
04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm trying to figure out what Joe Johnson, Mo Williams, Devin Harris, and Carmelo have to do with anything

Also, besides Dirk, KG is listed under OLI in addition to being on the main list.

Galileo
04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Its a joke that Gilmore is not in the Hall.

Galileo
04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know if anyone else is getting in besides the big three? (Jordan, Robinson, Stockton)

What about Mullin? He was on the Dream Team, too.

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I suspect that the list is usually a Top 10 in the MVP race sort of list and that the OLI is a weekly ranking of the next 10 best players in this season. That would explain the names that are on the OLI list -- and the repetition with the list in the column.

whottt
04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
This writer posted a rough draft or something.

duncan228
04-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I suspect that the list is usually a Top 10 in the MVP race sort of list and that the OLI is a weekly ranking of the next 10 best players in this season. That would explain the names that are on the OLI list -- and the repetition with the list in the column.

You're right, it's the intro to this week's 'Race to the MVP' column.

Spurminator
04-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah if you go to the link, he's corrected the statement about Iverson and there is a top 10 MVP candidates feature at the bottom, which I assume ties to the OLI.

TwinTowers
04-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Allen Iverson: Iverson could be the toughest case. He's the only NBA MVP, in or out of the Hall, with only one MVP and no NBA titles. Bob McAdoo won one NBA MVP, but he won two titles with the Lakers in the '80s. The case for Iverson is that he's closing in on the top 20 in all-time scoring (21st with 23,983 just behind Patrick Ewing's 24,815). Artis Gilmore is the only member of the top 20 scoring list who is eligible and not in the Hall (and that's for another column).

Before retirement AI will join a contender to have a last shot at ring (as GP did).

TMTTRIO
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Based on Manu's accomplishments in the NBA (he really hasn't done much concerning individual accomplishments) he wouldn't even be close to making the HOF but he will make it in mainly based on his international career.

Kill_ Bill_Pana.
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
If only Spanoulis stayed in the NBA. The MVP trophy would have been in the bag as he would have enjoyed as much success as time duncan.

Old School 44
04-03-2009, 05:15 PM

Confusing how OLI list was presented, but that's got be it.

Seriously though, if you're not in the top 2 or 3 you're not really in the "Race for the MVP", so what's the point of listing all the others.

Dutch13
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
If only Spanoulis stayed in the NBA. The MVP trophy would have been in the bag as he would have enjoyed as much success as time duncan.

Well if he hadnt gone cryin home to momma maybe he would have KBP.

ShoogarBear
04-03-2009, 05:36 PM
How is Nash a lock and Iverson a tough case? Should be the other way around.

Nathan Explosion
04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
On the outside looking in part, I do notice that 2 players were MVPs (Dirk and KG) and one was an MVP of a different sort, Tony Parker.

While you all probably named why that list was there, that's something to look at as well.

exstatic
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Kind of a botched article.

Of those on the OLI not having MVPs, Parker, at 26 and already at 10K points, probably has the best chance at the Hall.