PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili A Starter — To Stay?

duncan228
04-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Ginobili a starter — to stay? (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_a_starter__to_stay.html)
Jeff McDonald

INDIANAPOLIS — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich did not use the term “perpetuity” when discussing Manu Ginobili's new role Friday night, but he might as well have.

Ginobili made his second consecutive start against Indiana, and just his sixth of the season. This is the lineup Popovich plans to take into the playoffs, hoping to maximize the minutes Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan spend on the court together.

“I just think Manu coming off the bench has run its course,” Popovich said before the Spurs held on for a 126-121 victory over the Pacers. “It's time for the three of them to play together. They're our best three players. They're going to make each other better on the court.”

The NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year, Ginobili has started just 44 of the 147 games he has played over the past two seasons.

As recently as December, Popovich moved Ginobili into the starting five, saying he wanted him to start “in perpetuity.” Four games later, Ginobili was back on the bench.

The success of Ginobili's latest move into the starting lineup will depend largely on Roger Mason Jr.'s ability to provide a spark as a reserve.

Though happy to fill any role Popovich asks of him, Ginobili said he did miss some things about coming off the bench.

“There were times when I preferred it,” Ginobili said. “I'd rather be the first one to sub in than the first one to sub out.”

Going Dutch: George Hill celebrated his return to Indianapolis by taking his old college teammates at IUPUI out for dinner at the famed St. Elmo's Steakhouse.

There was just one catch. He wasn't allowed to pay.

“It's against NCAA rules,” said Hill, the only NBA player in IUPUI history. “I invited them to dinner, but they had to pay for their own food.”

Good for Gooden: Drew Gooden's 17 points were the most he's scored since joining the Spurs.

He had nine straight in a span of 1:37 in the third quarter to help the Spurs open up 92-77 lead, their largest of the night.

“He's an offensive player; he can really score,” Popovich said. “We're not surprised by it, but we're glad it's coming, slowly but surely.”

With a limited offensive and defensive playbook in his pocket, Gooden still isn't seeing many minutes at the end of games. He logged just three seconds in the fourth quarter Friday.

“I'm getting comfortable,” Gooden said. “When I'm out there, I'm going to produce, whether it's five minutes, six minutes or 20 minutes.”

04-03-2009, 11:42 PM
starting ginobili will allow more defense oriented players to start as well like thomas and bowen. i have always believed that a parker, ginobili, bowen, thomas, and duncan lineup would be the most successful balance of defense and offense. i think thomas will eventually start against some teams in the playoffs, bowen i'm not so sure anymore.

onarollbaby
04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
starting ginobili will allow more defense oriented players to start as well like thomas and bowen. I have always believed that a parker, ginobili, bowen, thomas, and duncan lineup would be the most successful balance of defense and thomas will eventually start against some teams in the playoffsoffense. I think , bowen i'm not so sure anymore.

+1

TMTTRIO
04-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I've never understood this switching back and forth with Manu over the years. As for now I agree that it's good for him to be a starter so that he doesn't have to feel pressured to produce offensively right away playing with both Tim and Tony and that he can let his game come to him. Also it might be able to keep him healthy that way.

SenorSpur
04-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Whatever. Pop trusts no one that hasn't been in the system more than 3 years. He should just play his starting five the entire game.

xtremesteven33
04-04-2009, 12:11 AM
If Manu starts, Bowen should start....IT MAKES SENSE!!!!

STUPID F'N POP!!!! WHAT THE F$$%$$

EricB
04-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Whatever. Pop trusts no one that hasn't been in the system more than 3 years. He should just play his starting five the entire game.

God, want a tissue?

VI_Massive
04-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Manu stays a starter until the second unit offense is nowhere to be seen for three or four games in a row. Then Pop remembers why Manu was coming off the bench and switches it back.

SenorSpur
04-04-2009, 12:14 AM
God, want a tissue?

Try watching the games for a change.

xtremesteven33
04-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Manu stays a starter until the second unit offense is nowhere to be seen for three or four games in a row. Then Pop remembers why Manu was coming off the bench and switches it back.

Youve been a spurs fan for awhile havent you??? haha:lol

VI_Massive
04-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Youve been a spurs fan for awhile havent you??? haha:lol

We've been here before.

xtremesteven33
04-04-2009, 12:17 AM
We've been here before.

yea 2005 comes to mind...Manu starts, goes back to bench.....then goes back to the starting lineup:rollin

lefty
04-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Mason as a starter > Mason 6th man

ElNono
04-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Right now Manu needs as many minutes as possible to get back in shape and get some rhythm... He didn't have a brilliant game, but I thought he played fairly well and I think he connected well with Gooden also. Plus he only played half a season really, so this might be the first time Pop uses him for extended minutes, considering he should be fairly fresh...

texbound
04-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I think the addition of Gooden's potential with the 2nd unit makes it possible to start Manu. Gooden is not going to demand double teams, but he will garner attention which will free Mason Jr. up just enough. In the past, Manu was the only that could score on his own with the 2nd unit. Just my opinion.

spursfan1000
04-04-2009, 12:43 AM
It's great to see them play at the same time but since Manu if he starts who will move the ball on the bench? George Hill has been in his rookie slump. Roger Mason has been struggling in his last games and the rest are fowards. I think for the long term solution Manu should come off bench, but Pop might not even keep Manu starting.

TMTTRIO
04-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Manu comes out really early anyways so they can work it out where he comes in when either Tim, Tony, or both are out so that shouldn't be a big deal.

kace
04-04-2009, 03:14 AM
i don't care who starts or not as long as there's always at least one member of the big three on the court.

Danny.Zhu
04-04-2009, 03:26 AM

Agree.

I still think it make sense not to overlap the ability. TP and TD should start, then Manu and Gooden can create offense coming off bench.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-04-2009, 03:27 AM
If he helps us win games, do whatever the fuck you want with him.

I like the way he's been playing thus far, but history shows us that his gambling style of play slash hurting himself to play for team argentina almost always hurts us in the playoffs, with the exception of the year 2005.

04-04-2009, 03:48 AM
now that everyone is healthy, at least one member of the big three will be on the court at all times and i think the bench is one of the best since the formation of the big 3. ginobili doesn't need to come off the bench because the spurs have a bench now. if the big 3 can close out important playoff games together, they can definitely work together at the start of the game. mason has been the spark of the bench for the wizards last year so he might slip back into that role. i kind of want gooden to start next to duncan and see how he plays but if gooden becomes comfortable off the bench, that will be good as well.

VI_Massive
04-04-2009, 10:03 AM
now that everyone is healthy, at least one member of the big three will be on the court at all times and i think the bench is one of the best since the formation of the big 3. ginobili doesn't need to come off the bench because the spurs have a bench now. if the big 3 can close out important playoff games together, they can definitely work together at the start of the game. mason has been the spark of the bench for the wizards last year so he might slip back into that role. i kind of want gooden to start next to duncan and see how he plays but if gooden becomes comfortable off the bench, that will be good as well.

With Manu starting, I don't think we have enough offense off the bench at all.

bigdog
04-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Mason as a starter > Mason 6th man

Also, Mason at SG > > > > > > > > > > Mason at PG

Flux451
04-04-2009, 11:16 AM
2nd unit should be: (with Parker gradually taken out)
Hill PG
Mason SG
Fin SF
Gooden PF
Thomas C

Only spot that is hairy is the Small Forward Position. Bowen would be nice in second unit but I think we benefit most from him being with big three.

benefactor
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Manu starting right now is OK because he needs the court time. I think he will go back to coming off the bench when we get into the playoffs and Pop realizes that there are no creators off the bench. Furthermore, I like the Gooden/Manu combination. Manu sets Gooden up for success offensively and keeps him isolating himself with the ball. I also think Mason having any chance of regaining his rhythm hinges on him being back with the starting lineup. All in all, Manu off the bench has the best chance of bringing out the best in our role players.

Flux451
04-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Manu starting right now is OK because he needs the court time. I think he will go back to coming off the bench when we get into the playoffs and Pop realizes that there are no creators off the bench. Furthermore, I like the Gooden/Manu combination. Manu sets Gooden up for success offensively and keeps him isolating himself with the ball. I also think Mason having any chance of regaining his rhythm hinges on him being back with the starting lineup. All in all, Manu off the bench has the best chance of bringing out the best in our role players.

i agree with bringing Manu off bench when gets rhythm back. His play with Gooden looks effortless. That would make our bench arguably the best when that happens. Who do you like as the 2nd unit then?

DAF86
04-04-2009, 02:42 PM

And since when a basketball team needs a creator that comes off the bench? tell me the "bench creators" of the other contender teams. In the playoffs no matter who starts we'll have at least one member (probably two) of the big three at all times, that's all we need.

timvp
04-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Ginobili starting or not ranks outside of the top 100 issues facing the Spurs. I expect Pop to keep Manu in the starting lineup until he wants to "shake things up" after a loss. Just like he's done the past 500 times.

benefactor
04-04-2009, 03:16 PM
i agree with bringing Manu off bench when gets rhythm back. His play with Gooden looks effortless. That would make our bench arguably the best when that happens. Who do you like as the 2nd unit then?
It will likely fluctuate in the playoffs. Parker is going to play a lot of minutes, so for me the second unit boils down to who will run the show when he is on the bench. If Parker goes to the bench, I would probably go with Hill/Manu/Finley/Gooden/Thomas. This will depend completely on who is on the floor for the other team though(Finley could be exchanged for Bowen depending on the SF match up). For the most part I think this lineup gives us the best mix of offense and defense. And for the record, Gooden and Bonner should never play together. Ever.

And since when a basketball team needs a creator that comes off the bench? tell me the "bench creators" of the other contender teams. In the playoffs no matter who starts we'll have at least one member (probably two) of the big three at all times, that's all we need.
A lot of teams look for an energy guy off the bench and I think Manu best fits that bill. Couple that with the potential to combine his play making with Gooden's ability to score in the post and it's a no-brainer. I don't think all scenarios are ideal as long as "one of the big three" are out there. The players still have to compliment each other and you still need enough defense to keep the opposing team honest. For example, you wouldn't want to trot out a lineup of Parker/Mason/Finley/Gooden/Bonner if you had a team that could beat you to the rim. We would get murdered in the paint.

Joe Schmoogins
04-04-2009, 05:20 PM
whether Manu starts or not, the Big three are going to play major minutes in the playoffs.

So, imo the most important issue is to find out which combo of players are the best compliment to the big three depending on various situations.

big 3 + bowen & thomas = best defensive unit.
big 3 + mason & bonner = deep threat unit
big 3 + finley/bowen & mason = small ball lineup
etc...

I'd vote for the majority of the minutes going to Bowen and Thomas, and the Spurs once again committing themselves to the defensive philosophy that's got them 4 championships.

TMTTRIO
04-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Well maybe Pop's thinking about keeping Manu healthy until the playoffs and thinks it's important to get a lot more playing time with Tim and Tony where he doesn't have to have that much of a scoring load and can let his game slowly come back to him.

Manufan909
04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Well maybe Pop's thinking about keeping Manu healthy until the playoffs and thinks it's important to get a lot more playing time with Tim and Tony where he doesn't have to have that much of a scoring load and can let his game slowly come back to him.

So who will have the scoring load off the bench then? Besides Gooden, I hope Hill is in there too, and he doesn't have to defer to Manu, or TP, and be a Parker style PG, get some chem with Mason, and have Bowen/Fin for 3 balls.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-05-2009, 12:16 AM
“It's time for the three of them to play together. They're our best three players. They're going to make each other better on the court.”
Putting your best players and strongest players at the start?? Wow what a concept.

J/k, I think Pop feels he can do this now because our bench isn't filled with ALL old guys like the last two years. I don't agree with others saying Manu starting means our bench will have no offense, since there's always gonna be one of the big three on the court in the playoffs.

Also, we've gotten spoiled and used to Manu bailing out our sorry ass bench. It's not just about a couple players like Fin being too geriatric to adjust. Mason, Udoka and the rest of the subs, etc. should be stepping up their game now.
If only pop would run his back up PG, I'd respect him more for starting Manu...but Manu's 6th man role has really been a non-factor this year, since we're a little deeper on the wings, so hopefully he has Hill in mind for spot minutes now that Manu is starting. :lol

crc21209
04-05-2009, 12:35 AM
I would LOVE a starting five of TP, Manu, Bowen, TD, and Thomas. It's a good mix of O and D out there at the same time. Off the bench use Hill, Fin, Mason, Bonner, and Gooden. No Udoka or Vaughn. :tu

jdev82
04-05-2009, 02:41 AM
booooo. all this does is fuck up the rotations more and leave us relying on gooden and a rogermason whose proven hes an effective starter but not effective off the bench, for bench points. boo this man. boo

nz_spur
04-05-2009, 04:39 AM
If ginobili is on the starting lineup, then I hope that doesn't mean that Mason runs the 2nd unit offense as point guard!

kace
04-05-2009, 11:46 AM
If ginobili is on the starting lineup, then I hope that doesn't mean that Mason runs the 2nd unit offense as point guard!

yeah. and think about the fact that JV is our other choice since Pop doesn't trust Hill anymore as a PG.