PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker's French Club Got Euroleague Contract

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 12:41 AM
http://www.ballineurope.com/european-basketball/euroleague/three-french-euroleague-teams-in-20092010/

http://www.in-the-game.org/?p=2599

Tony Parker's club ASVEL (most important and biggest French club) got a 3 year contract for the Euroleague from ULEB. The place was taken from the one of the 2 big Russian clubs of Khimki and Dynamo:rolleyes

France gets 3 Euroleague clubs now. Many are upset by this as ASVEL and French league have been very poor and French league has been one of worst in Europe.

Anyway, I guess this mean Tony has very strong power and influence. It is say that "someone from ASVEL" give 5 million euros to ULEB to purchase this contract.

Now that they have this contract and are getting new 16,000 arena I have to wonder what chance is there Parker leaves to play there.

Pentagruel
04-04-2009, 12:54 AM
No chance at all I would think.

SpursFan0728
04-04-2009, 12:56 AM
The reason why he is "powerful and influential" is because he plays for Nba and earns 10 million a year with endorsement. So why is he leaving?

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 01:01 AM
The reason why he is "powerful and influential" is because he plays for Nba and earns 10 million a year with endorsement. So why is he leaving?

Did I say he is leaving? Also $10 millions after taxes and agent fees is more like $5 millions. Even for him and his wife 5 million euros (some things say 10 million euros) in cash is a lot of money to invest.

Pentagruel
04-04-2009, 01:04 AM
You were wondering about the chance that he leaves the Spurs to Join ASVEL and I simply replied there is no chance at all. A player at Tony Parker's age who is recently joining a select group of elite players doesn't leave the most competitive and prestigious league in the world to join a mediocre ASVEL team where he can't accomplish anything of real significance.

As Tony Parker himself said, it seems a lot more likely that he would join them once he is older and past his prime.

timvp
04-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Didn't you say this wasn't going to happen?

Oops.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 01:12 AM
Didn't you say this wasn't going to happen?

Oops.

ASVEL is a bad club. French league is a terrible league. This is not a fair or normal decision by Euroleague in any way. And even money issue is odd because there are other other clubs with much more money that did not get a contract.

And performance of France as it has been with just 2 clubs has been pitiful.

You see leagues

Adriatic league 5 Euroleague teams
Spanish league 4 Euroleague teams
Greek league 3 Euroleague teams
Italian league 3 Euroleague teams
Baltic league 3 Euroleague teams
French league 3 Euroleague teams
Russian league 2 Euroleague teams
Turkish league 2 Euroleague teams
Eurocup league 1 Euroleague team

This is really quite funny when any of these other leagues is so much better than French league.

timvp
04-04-2009, 01:19 AM
I was wrong.At least you admit it :tu

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 01:24 AM
At least you admit it :tu

I guess you are not aware of how terrible French league is.

Naelven
04-04-2009, 01:40 AM
I guess you are not aware of how terrible French league is.

Of course french league is horrible, there is no money in it.
There is no arena, no TV cover...The king sport here is soccer.

And Parker will play in ASVEL, in 10 years may be but I don't think this is his goal.
He is preparing his post NBA career (very soon yes , but the sooner the better).
And it is nice of him to spend his money in French BB as he is not doing that to be richer (there is no money in french BB)

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Of course french league is horrible, there is no money in it.
There is no arena, no TV cover...The king sport here is soccer.

And Parker will play in ASVEL, in 10 years may be but I don't think this is his goal.
He is preparing his post NBA career (very soon yes , but the sooner the better).
And it is nice of him to spend his money in French BB as he is not doing that to be richer (there is no money in french BB)

So I wonder what is his goal? Is this very long term investment for him?

velik_m
04-04-2009, 02:11 AM
The king sport here is soccer.

So is everywhere else in Europe (except in Lithuania).

ChumpDumper
04-04-2009, 03:04 AM
So in 2010, Tony is going to jump at the chance to pay himself $10 million out of his own pocket.

timvp
04-04-2009, 03:12 AM
So in 2010, Tony is going to jump at the chance to pay himself $10 million out of his own pocket.

:lmao

Bukefal
04-04-2009, 05:33 AM
its all about money. Great for Tony! great for asvel! maybe his little brother is joining asvel too soon. Tony himself wont join, maybe before retiring one or two seasons, but i doubt that too.

Mal
04-04-2009, 06:07 AM
yeah, 3 sucking French teams in euroleague. Nothing better could happen

mogrovejo
04-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Oh, I thought there was no way a French club would get a guaranteed spot! I mean, KBP called me crazy and liar because I said I was sure one wildcard would go to France. :rolleyes

The reason is quite obvious: Canal + is investing a lot of money in the EL (and in basketball), without expecting returns in the short term, they're a french company and of course they want to be sure a french club will be in the competiton. Plus, to be fair french clubs are generally well-structured - they don't depend on the good will of millionaires like so many European clubs, they don't have irrealistic budgets they can't comply, etc., so I can't say I'm opposed to this. Khimki? Who know if clubs like Khimki will still be around in 5 years...

Anyway, KBP is once again being clueless: only 1 French team will have a guaranteed presence in the Euroleague regular season. The 2 others will have to go through a qualifying phase and I'm pretty sure they'll fail to qualify (they'll have to face Spanish, Russian, Greek, etc, teams). So, in the end and for practical effects, currently there are 2 French teams playing the EL, in the future there'll be only one.

exstatic
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyway, KBP is once again being clueless: only 1 French team will have a guaranteed presence in the Euroleague regular season. The 2 others will have to go through a qualifying phase and I'm pretty sure they'll fail to qualify (they'll have to face Spanish, Russian, Greek, etc, teams). So, in the end and for practical effects, currently there are 2 French teams playing the EL, in the future there'll be only one.

Someone who was actually Greek would know this, as opposed to a poser from Houston with a Comcast internet connection.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Someone who was actually Greek would know this, as opposed to a poser from Houston with a Comcast internet connection.

You are a fucking idiot TRULY. Please read the links and what I posted. I ALREADY posted that.

But, you cannot even grasp this and you cannot even understand the fact that they will be in the Euroleague. He is full of it to say they will not be. The preliminary stage is being considered as part of the Euroleague. When President of Euroleague says "ASVEL has a 3 year Euroleague contract" that means they have a EUROLEAGUE contract.

Some people are stupid whether European or American. Simple as that. And this guy in Boston that thinks this is good idea? I am sure there is not one basketball fan in Europe that likes this and this "preliminary" thing is nonsense. How does this justify this?

This is a 1 or 2 game playoff in the preseason practically. Even NBA teams could be eliminated in this format by ASVEL. So regardless there is a good chance 3 French teams could be in the league ruining it.

As for Khimki in 5 years who knows but at this time for sure they are much better club than any French team. But probably they will be in Euroleague anyway because they should win Eurocup.

will_spurs
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
KBP, you are not running the Euroleague, and there's a good reason for that. The guys behind it have to think like businessmen, and from their point of view it makes sense to have some French teams in, because it's a big market and the TV rights are owned by a French company, and there is now maybe a link to the NBA with the ASVEL and Parker. They are just being smart businessmen.

And same goes for the NBA, otherwise why would the Knicks still be in the league... oh wait, maybe because they are in New York and it's the biggest market in the whole country? Just maybe.

It's not because you don't agree with something that it's "stupid".

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
KBP, you are not running the Euroleague, and there's a good reason for that. The guys behind it have to think like businessmen, and from their point of view it makes sense to have some French teams in, because it's a big market and the TV rights are owned by a French company, and there is now maybe a link to the NBA with the ASVEL and Parker. They are just being smart businessmen.

And same goes for the NBA, otherwise why would the Knicks still be in the league... oh wait, maybe because they are in New York and it's the biggest market in the whole country? Just maybe.

It's not because you don't agree with something that it's "stupid".

For example Dynamo and Khimki are in bigger market and are richer clubs though.

mogrovejo
04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
KBP, unlike you I live in Europe and actually go to European basketball games. In fact, I've attended one in Khimki - and there were about 700 fans in the stands. Khimki BC is a club created by some wealthy Russian oligarchs a decade ago, with no real fanbase. And many of those millionaires are now in a much worse financial situation - that's why there were salaries paid late in Khimki this season already. This is not the way European basketball should go. Whatever my opinion may be in the Euroleague new format, if the option is for a semi-closed competition, then invite teams like Alba or ASVEL, not teams like Khimki.

Kill_Bill_Pana
04-04-2009, 07:36 PM
KBP, unlike you I live in Europe and actually go to European basketball games. In fact, I've attended one in Khimki - and there were about 700 fans in the stands. Khimki BC is a club created by some wealthy Russian oligarchs a decade ago, with no real fanbase. And many of those millionaires are now in a much worse financial situation - that's why there were salaries paid late in Khimki this season already. This is not the way European basketball should go. Whatever my opinion may be in the Euroleague new format, if the option is for a semi-closed competition, then invite teams like Alba or ASVEL, not teams like Khimki.

This is dumb. if the games are 30 point blow outs no one cares. Anyone with brain can figure this out.

JP le Requin
04-04-2009, 09:19 PM
TP really want to promote french basketball across france, europe..and the world, he wants to be the ambassador of french and even european basket...so he give money for the future, when he will retire from nba, he may play for asvel just for fun..i mean like a jubilee for 1 year...and after that TP will be like a GM for ASVEL, a CEO..
and if one day we can get a stadium with more than 3000 seats...GREAT!!!! and in 2015...with all the good french players like batum, tp, diaw, pietrus, maimi (i hope for ian ans spurs he is good!) ...these players ca improve the "image" of basket in france...and why not french tv will broadcast more games here?

TP MUST TAKE PART IN THE FRENCH REVOLUTION BASKET