PDA

View Full Version : Ex-WWE star Bobby Lashley willing to compete on "The Ultimate Fighter"

Evan
04-04-2009, 06:08 AM
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Apr 03, 2009 at 4:20 pm ET
Former collegiate wrestling champion and WWE import Bobby Lashley (2-0) hasn't shot up the ranks of MMA quite as quickly as fellow professional wrestler and current UFC interim champion Brock Lesnar.

But that's just fine for Lashley, who has said he's interested in developing at his own pace.

But on the most recent episode of ESPN.com's "MMA Live," Lashley said he definitely wants to make his way to the UFC – and he'd be willing to go through "The Ultimate Fighter" to do it.

"Everybody wants to be in the UFC," Lashley said. "It's the pinnacle of this sport, so of course I want to be there."

The UFC is holding open tryouts for "The Ultimate Fighter" in Seattle on Monday. Heavyweights are being sought out for the process, and Lashley told "MMA Live" co-host Kenny Florian he's mulling over the idea of making an appearance.

"I think [appearing on 'The Ultimate Fighter'] would be something great," Lashley said. "I saw that, and they said, 'Heavyweights,' and I was like, 'Yeah, let's jump on it.'

"I think it would be great because what I'm trying to do right now is prove myself. And on 'The Ultimate Fighter,' you have to prove yourself. I talked it over with my management and my trainers and everything, and they have mixed opinions on it – if I should go there, or if I should stay out and do different fights."

The American Top Team fighter has earned victories in his first two MMA contests, but he admits he's still got a long way to go to reach the level he someday hopes to attain.

"This is a building process," Lashley said. "When I get to the UFC, I want to be a serious contender for the title. I don't want to just be another guy going into the UFC because it's a grand stage and build there. I don't think that's what I need to do.

"I need to stay in the undercard, and stay in some of the smaller fights, and get more fights under my belt - get some fights like my last fight where it doesn't go the way that I wanted. I've got to seal the deal. There's a lot of learning in this game."

And could that learning possibly be helped by the world-class coaching cast members of "The Ultimate Fighter" undoubtedly receive?

"I'm open to anything," Lashley said. "I'm open to suggestions. If that's the route [my management] wants to send me, then I'm going to go."

Evan
04-04-2009, 06:08 AM
I like his attitude....imagine if they got him and Kimbo on the season together.

Such wonderful chaos :ihit

dbreiden83080
04-04-2009, 11:09 PM
The people around Lashley are likely telling him, he has enough name recognition that he does not need to go this route, but it would be interesting to see. If i were the UFC, he'd be getting a call and a strong influence to go the TUF route..

Evan
04-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know where he is training out of?

djohn14
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Denver

Evan
04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Denver?

With who?

dallaskd
04-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know where he is training out of?

American Top Team

Evan
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
American Top Team

ATT?

I had no clue...my interest in his career just tripled....

Evan
04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
ATT?

I had no clue...my interest in his career just tripled....

Of course it says that in the article...lol

I read the same type of story on three different sites and they never mentioned it...this one I posted I only half ass scanned.

:lol :bang

ATRAIN
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Lashley has been appearing on TNA, I wonder if this is Spike's way to bring in more viewers for the Ultimate Fighter if the UFC brings him in. He hasnt wrestled yet but has come out twice.

Evan
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Lashley has been appearing on TNA, I wonder if this is Spike's way to bring in more viewers for the Ultimate Fighter if the UFC brings him in. He hasnt wrestled yet but has come out twice.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

good thinking...that makes sense....

ATRAIN
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

good thinking...that makes sense....

I dont know what his contract status is with TNA but I think he would be allowed to compete in the UFC since Spike is big brother. Or maybe they are trying to bring him back in the spotlight as a build up for The Ultimate fighter so they can suck in some more fans of pro wrestling.

Destro
05-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Ultimate fighter would be a win win for UFC and Lashley (assuming he doesn't suck).

Evan
05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Ultimate fighter would be a win win for UFC and Lashley (assuming he doesn't suck).

Absolutely.

I have seen his fights. He looks like any other HW fighter with his record. Can't get a bead on him yet...he neither sucks nor looks good. He is just raw.

Unlike Brock who looks like he has 15 fights under his belt he looks so good.

lefty
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Deoes the guy know MMA is not fake ?

Evan
05-02-2009, 03:58 PM

In his defense....there was no money making avenues for legit wrestlers to take post college aside from freak show wrestling.

Spursfan092120
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
You do know he's already fought a couple of MMA fights...and destroyed both of them...if you knew anything about wrestling, you'd know it's scripted, yes..but those guys get punched..they get hit with chairs..that shit ain't fake..they just know how to suppress it. Some of it is fake..but some of the shit they do..you just can't fake...I've done it before..it ain't ALL fake.

Evan
05-02-2009, 06:34 PM
You do know he's already fought a couple of MMA fights...and destroyed both of them...if you knew anything about wrestling, you'd know it's scripted, yes..but those guys get punched..they get hit with chairs..that shit ain't fake..they just know how to suppress it. Some of it is fake..but some of the shit they do..you just can't fake...I've done it before..it ain't ALL fake.

I am not into wrestling but what those guys do is freaking amazing.