PDA

View Full Version : Coming to the Realization

ulosturedge
04-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm happy about the win last night, but its apparent alot of things have changed for the Spurs. And this is probably why Pop is trying so many different things out there. This team does not have the defense presence it has had in years past. This could be due to our team's age, nagging injuries, lack of a 2nd big, or a combination of all these. Watching last night I noticed every pacer that penetrated could not be stopped at the rim. Now in years past we either had a youthful Duncan or a 2nd big to meet these penetrators at the rim, but thats not happening as often as it should anymore it seems. This also leads me to believe that we need to abandon the "funnel your player to the inside help" because there doesn't really seem like there is someone there to meet them. More onus needs to be put on our individual defenders to stay with their man (if at all possible).

The other aspect is on offense where it seems like we fall in love with the 3 ball. I mean if they are going in we are winning, but if they aren't we are definitely losing by the same means. It is probaby because we don't have enough penetrators/creators on offense. Beyond Tony and Manu who else can make it to the rim on their own? This team needs to be able to go inside more or put the pressure on and get to the foul line more.

I know all this is kind of obvious, but if anyone was like me they didn't want to believe it considering how long we have been at the top. Like I said this isn't the same type of team we have had in years past, and this is probably why we are trading off some of our defense for our offense more now. Will it work? I don't know. I think alot of it depends on "who shows up" for the playoffs when they start.

I want to believe, I really do, but I think i'm just gonna sit back on this one and just enjoy the ride. Whatever happens I appreciate everything this team has done for us. Was a great run however it turns out.

romsho
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
The team is not near as good defensively because Tim is not near as good defensively. They were better with a 7' footer next to Tim, but did fine with Oberto or Thomas...when Tim was healthy. A lesser version of Tim AND no Bowen? What are we left with? Right now, a team who either makes threes or probably loses. I keep hoping for a miracle turnaround.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
we've been the best or 2nd best defensive team in the NBA in the past month and a half..

the problem is that we haven't had the ability to mix the D and the offense together..when we're playing elite D, our offense is suffering..when we're playing great offensively, our D suffers..

jag
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I want to believe, I really do, but I think i'm just gonna sit back on this one and just enjoy the ride. Whatever happens I appreciate everything this team has done for us. Was a great run however it turns out.

This is how i feel too. This team seemed to have so much promise at the beginning of the season..so i just have a difficult time completely writing them off.

romsho
04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
we've been the best or 2nd best defensive team in the NBA in the past month and a half..

Maybe so, but I have never seen The Spurs, at least in the Tim Duncan era, give up so many easy baskets- and it's been happening all season. No matter what statistically, it's nowhere near their standard.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I agree..but the problem is that we actually do have the players to make a difference in this regard...

we're starting Tony Parker(average defender), Roger Mason(below average defender), Michael Finley(below average defender), and Matt Bonner(below average defender) next to Duncan..

our perimeter defenders have little ability to stop penetration..it's even worse due to the injuries, since Tony has had to use more energy offensively, making his D even worse..quick PGs are killing us, so are athletic SFs..

Duncan is always put in bad spots because of this..Timmy has been playing great D during this span, but even then, he's been in the same situations a lot of the time..when he goes to help out on the penetrator, only Bonner is left to cover the basket on the rebound..obviously that isn't an ideal situation..

our bench defenders are much better..Bruce Bowen, George Hill, and Kurt Thomas are our 3 best defensive players other than Duncan, and it isn't even really close..the bigger problem is that 2 of these guys aren't even playing..

Pop is being really arrogant about this IMO..he's the best coach in the NBA, he's won 4 titles, he receives more praise from other NBA people than any other coach..I believe he feels like his system can succeed with any players, which is the only logic with him having Finley defending other teams best swingmen..there's no reason not to play Bowen and Hill, and not starting Kurt..

I would understand the argument for offense, but our offense has been barely better than last year..

sananspursfan21
04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
we'll never know until june (cross your fingers)

NFGIII
04-04-2009, 04:16 PM
we're starting Tony Parker(average defender), Roger Mason(below average defender), Michael Finley(below average defender), and Matt Bonner(below average defender) next to Duncan..

our perimeter defenders have little ability to stop penetration..it's even worse due to the injuries, since Tony has had to use more energy offensively, making his D even worse..quick PGs are killing us, so are athletic SFs..

Without Splitter and Ian Pop has been put in a position to go with the more O (3 ball and I really don't think this is his style of play either) than the traditional D we have come to expect. If both of those players (or at least one of them -hopefully Splitter) were on the roster then he would have the ability to use his system like he was able to do with Drob/Willis and Rasho/Nazr. But with Ian's injuries and Splitter bailing on us then he has to go with plan B or C or D. Whatever. Matt doesn't fit the typical Spur center and we all know that. His strength is stretching the floor with the 3 ball and when you live but that you die by that. I'm not blaming Pop for this year's lineup since I fully believe he thought that when Splitter committed to coming he could use his twin tower system rather than what we see now. He is just trying to find some combination that works. He is just using what he has right now.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 04:23 PM
sure..but Kurt Thomas has been absolutely solid defensively and on the boards for months now..he's a better player than Oberto was during the 07 season IMO..

toki9
04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Sometimes i get the feeling that we've become what D'Antoni's Suns could have been if they had incorporated a bit more of a half-court game and a bit more defense...we've been way too reliant on the 3-ball and have become an outside-in team rather than the inside-out team that we've always been...way too perimeter oriented...

SPURS50
04-04-2009, 04:39 PM
The Spurs rely on the 3 ball way to much now. Watching them on offence since Tim came back is really depressing. There defence of late might be worse than there offence.

nadie
04-05-2009, 04:41 AM
I sadly agree. I still hope for a miracle come June but at the back of my mind, I'm thinking maybe next year will be our year. By that time, hopefully Timmy's and Manu's injuries will resolve (will we still have Manu?) and the other players will be more comfortable with their roles (will we still have Gooden?). Of course, we have to take into account that Timmy will be another year older. But no matter what happens, I still love my spurs.

Spursmania
04-05-2009, 06:36 AM
sigh...I know what you mean.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-05-2009, 07:43 AM
We're going to peak right AT the playoffs this year as opposed to SPAM...don't worry about it.

smrattler
04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
1) Their defense is not good enough to remotely slow down good offensive teams.

2) They are too small and too soft on the inside.

3) Their offense relies on the three ball.

That's how we have defined pretenders the past 10 years, isn't it?