PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio's defense (or lack thereof)

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I posted this in the other forum too, but I wanted to repeat it out here b/c it's Spurs-related. Yes, I'm a Laker fan, but I feel this is a serious problem for SA. Yes, the Lakers aren't a shining example of great defense, but they have played well against the good teams, and have not allowed a 100 point game since the Bulls game. Forget about all that, here's my take on SA.
Spurs are getting better offensively with the return of Ginobili and the acclimation of Gooden into the offense, but they've been a very shaky defensive team all year and that'll be their downfall. They just don't have the quickness on defense due to age and wear-and-tear to stay with the Lakers. Hell, look at last night's game as a perfect example: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290403011

The Spurs shot 55% from the field (41% from 3), made 27-31 FTs (w/ 12 more attempts than Indiana), outrebounded Pacers by 9, had only 4 more TOs, and had nearly 7 players in double figures--yet they squeaked out a win against the 32-44 Pacers who have nothing to play for. In any other season if you were to look at that San Antonio boxscore alone you'd think they won by 30. They simply don't have the defense or the consistent offense to beat LA. If this was an effort problem it could be corrected come playoff time, but a Pop-coached team never lacks in effort.

jag
04-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I posted this in the other forum too, but I wanted to repeat it out here b/c it's Spurs-related. Yes, I'm a Laker fan, but I feel this is a serious problem for SA. Yes, the Lakers aren't a shining example of great defense, but they have played well against the good teams, and have not allowed a 100 point game since the Bulls game. Forget about all that, here's my take on SA.
Spurs are getting better offensively with the return of Ginobili and the acclimation of Gooden into the offense, but they've been a very shaky defensive team all year and that'll be their downfall. They just don't have the quickness on defense due to age and wear-and-tear to stay with the Lakers. Hell, look at last night's game as a perfect example: http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290403011

The Spurs shot 55% from the field (41% from 3), made 27-31 FTs (w/ 12 more attempts than Indiana), outrebounded Pacers by 9, had only 4 more TOs, and had nearly 7 players in double figures--yet they squeaked out a win against the 32-44 Pacers who have nothing to play for. In any other season if you were to look at that San Antonio boxscore alone you'd think they won by 30. They simply don't have the defense or the consistent offense to beat LA. If this was an effort problem it could be corrected come playoff time, but a Pop-coached team never lacks in effort.

Tim Duncan is a hobbled shell of his former self. Bruce Bowen can't find minutes, and George Hill is getting spotty minutes.

It's pretty much the way things are right now. If Tony doesn't go for 30+, and Manu and Tim for 20+...the Spurs wont make it out of the first round.

sananspursfan21
04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
thanks for your concern laker fan. hopefully it shapes up

SA210
04-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Tha answer is Bruce Bowen in the Starting Lineup

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 03:43 PM
we've actually had arguably the best defense in the NBA in the past month and a half to 2 months, and that's without Bowen and Hill playing significant minutes..at worst, we've been in the top 3 defensively during this time span..

the problem is balance..while our D has been great during this time span, our offense has sucked..and when our offense has been great, our D has sucked..we have no balance of offense AND defense this year, and that's the key to a championship team..we have the players though..if Thomas started, and Bowen-Hill got significant minutes, we would be fine IMO..

it's too bad really, since this is one of the weakest NBA seasons in a LONG time..

itzsoweezee
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
quickness on the perimeter is not the problem. the spurs have always aimed to funnel perimeter players into the basket in the middle. so getting beat on the perimeter is not a big deal as long as the opposing player is going where they want.

the problem is, instead of two big guys who can play defense near the basket, the spurs now have only one big guy who can play defense near the basket because popovich has decided to give major minutes to the worst defending big man on the team.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Oberto was an average defensive player..

funneling players takes strategy..there's a difference between that, and just getting beat..the perimeter players on the other teams are getting whatever they want..the OKC game for example..Westbrook got inside EVERY time..he either took it to the rim in many different ways, but more importantly, he created plays for everybody else on his team..every time Duncan would come out, somebody would be open to finish inside..

there's a difference between using it as a strategy, and just getting beat all the time..

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
we've actually had arguably the best defense in the NBA in the past month and a half to 2 months, and that's without Bowen and Hill playing significant minutes..at worst, we've been in the top 3 defensively during this time span..

the problem is balance..while our D has been great during this time span, our offense has sucked..and when our offense has been great, our D has sucked..we have no balance of offense AND defense this year, and that's the key to a championship team..we have the players though..if Thomas started, and Bowen-Hill got significant minutes, we would be fine IMO..

it's too bad really, since this is one of the weakest NBA seasons in a LONG time..

Why is Bowen not getting big minutes? The "saving him for the playoffs" argument worked in the middle of the season, but not in the stretch run. He's losing game conditioning w/ his dearth of playing time (practice cannot replicate the intensity). There has to be something wrong with him because his lack of PT makes NO sense. He's a veteran, winner, and a psychological edge against anyone not named Kobe.

Muser
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Why is Bowen not getting big minutes? The "saving him for the playoffs" argument worked in the middle of the season, but not in the stretch run. He's losing game conditioning w/ his dearth of playing time (practice cannot replicate the intensity). There has to be something wrong with him because his lack of PT makes NO sense. He's a veteran, winner, and a psychological edge against anyone not named Kobe.

Pop's been fucking with the rotation for ages. Mason at backup point (Which Hill was drafted to do). Udoka getting Bruces minutes. Finley guarding players Bowen should be on (See Granger last night). Hopefully Pop gets his shit together or we're not making it past 2nd round.

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Pop's been fucking with the rotation for ages. Mason at backup point (Which Hill was drafted to do). Udoka getting Bruces minutes. Finley guarding players Bowen should be on (See Granger last night). Hopefully Pop gets his shit together or we're not making it past 2nd round.

since when does Mason have PG ball-handling skills...wtf!? A starting 5 of Duncan, Bowen, Parker, Ginobili and Gooden w/ a bench of Mason, Hill, Bonner, Finley, Udoka, and Oberto is still a formidable bunch. Not one that can beat LA 4/7...but maybe 3/7. His rotations make no sense, there has to be something under the surface that we aren't seeing. Pop isn't that stupid

Spursmania
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
since when does Mason have PG ball-handling skills...wtf!? A starting 5 of Duncan, Bowen, Parker, Ginobili and Gooden w/ a bench of Mason, Hill, Bonner, Finley, Udoka, and Oberto is still a formidable bunch. Not one that can beat LA 4/7...but maybe 3/7. His rotations make no sense, there has to be something under the surface that we aren't seeing. Pop isn't that stupid

Well, we're all waiting to see the "brilliance" of Pop's plan. Thus far nothing but stink for his rotations. CIA Pop, my ass. It comes down to just BB and I think you dance with the ones who brought you and that includes Bowen. The way Pop is seeing it thus far, his brilliant plan does not seem to include Bowen, much to our chagrin. I'm no damn coach and Pop is certainly a great coach, but I really don't understand his present rotations.

baseline bum
04-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Shit happens when you have Michael Finley guarding Kevin Durant and Danny Granger, and then LeBron tomorrow (just like last time the Spurs played the Cavs).