PDA

View Full Version : i'm going to make a mountain out of a molehill (re: ESPN)

K-State Spur
04-04-2009, 02:27 PM
on the front page it links a story (and headline) that a report states Stockton has been elected into the HOF. you have to get halfway throught the story before you get just a little blurb that the same report lists Robinson also as an inductee.

is stockton a much bigger headliner than David? is the assist record that much 'sexier' than being a top 7 center of all-time (historically, basketball's most dominant position).

i don't really want to compare their careers, because they played different positions and had completely different strengths and weaknesses. that said...both are top 50 players of all time, perennial all-stars, and olympic gold medal winners. when stockton played with the best PF of his era, he made the finals twice. when david played with the best PF of his era, he won two championships.

VI_Massive
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
you got it right. mountain. molehill.

Spurs Brazil
04-04-2009, 03:22 PM
on the front page it links a story (and headline) that a report states Stockton has been elected into the HOF. you have to get halfway throught the story before you get just a little blurb that the same report lists Robinson also as an inductee.

is stockton a much bigger headliner than David? is the assist record that much 'sexier' than being a top 7 center of all-time (historically, basketball's most dominant position).

i don't really want to compare their careers, because they played different positions and had completely different strengths and weaknesses. that said...both are top 50 players of all time, perennial all-stars, and olympic gold medal winners. when stockton played with the best PF of his era, he made the finals twice. when david played with the best PF of his era, he won two championships.

Yesterday there was a link to Robinson but I don't remember if it was in the front page

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
John Stockton is the more popular player in historic terms..he's also a short, unathletic white guy, which is very appealing to the media..he's very overrated though..David was obviously much better as a player..

urunobili
04-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Stockton ringless...
D-Rob>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stockton
Jordan>>>>D-Rob

DeadlyDynasty
04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
who cares...they'll both end up as HOFers. The 1995 WCF is most likely the reason D-Rob takes a backseat in the HOF talks (just being honest). Still, he's a HOF so who cares who gets all the press

poop
04-04-2009, 06:29 PM
stockton was the best pure point guard ever.
not that he should really be ahead of david though

Obstructed_View
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
The ESPN report is based upon a story in the Salt Lake City paper. If you don't think Stockton and Sloan are going to get more play in a story from Utah, you're out of your mind.

benefactor
04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't know if it's true, but I have heard more than once from different people that Stockton's assists were inflated by stat keepers. Anyone else ever hear that?

Behrooz24
04-05-2009, 01:16 AM
I don't know if it's true, but I have heard more than once from different people that Stockton's assists were inflated by stat keepers. Anyone else ever hear that?

More like - who hasn't?

K-State Spur
04-05-2009, 02:34 AM
The ESPN report is based upon a story in the Salt Lake City paper. If you don't think Stockton and Sloan are going to get more play in a story from Utah, you're out of your mind.

yes, but the same source says david is in as well. so espn could choose whoever they want to headline the story once they got their hands on it.

not a bid deal, as i said about mountains and molehills, but still stood out to me.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 06:43 AM
yes, but the same source says david is in as well. so espn could choose whoever they want to headline the story once they got their hands on it.

not a bid deal, as i said about mountains and molehills, but still stood out to me.

With all due respect, it only stood out to you because you don't know how journalism works and refuse to listen to the actual explanation. They can't just site someone else's sources and then change the story around. When the official announcement comes out, they'll write their own story, but for now, if you do a search for "basketball hall of fame announcements" in Google News, you see that everything is based on that one Salt Lake Trib story.

FromWayDowntown
04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Two things in K-State's favor:

1. News of Robinson's enshrinement had already broken -- as early as Thursday, I think -- in San Antonio paper; that story focused exclusively on Robinson, so it's not like the SLC Trib is an exclusive source on who will get in; it's an exclusive source (apparently) on Stockton being among those who will get in.

2. Even if the story came exclusively from the SLC Trib, the editors at ESPN could have fairly changed the headline without changing the copy and included Robinson's induction as part of the headline.

I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say that ESPN is overtly disrespecting David Robinson. I thought I saw mention of it on Friday or Saturday in a headline noting that Robinson and Viv Stringer will be inducted. May have imagined it, but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Two things in K-State's favor:

1. News of Robinson's enshrinement had already broken -- as early as Thursday, I think -- in San Antonio paper; that story focused exclusively on Robinson, so it's not like the SLC Trib is an exclusive source on who will get in; it's an exclusive source (apparently) on Stockton being among those who will get in.

2. Even if the story came exclusively from the SLC Trib, the editors at ESPN could have fairly changed the headline without changing the copy and included Robinson's induction as part of the headline.

I do think it's a bit of a stretch to say that ESPN is overtly disrespecting David Robinson. I thought I saw mention of it on Friday or Saturday in a headline noting that Robinson and Viv Stringer will be inducted. May have imagined it, but I'm pretty sure I saw it.

if you do a search for "basketball hall of fame announcements" in Google News, you see that everything is based on that one Salt Lake Trib story.

FromWayDowntown
04-05-2009, 10:42 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121534

From last Thursday:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/David_Robinson_headed_to_Basketball_Hall_of_Fame.h tml

and from last Friday:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Robinson_earns_Hall_entry.html

Neither cites the SLC Trib as a source, as far as I can tell.

pablo3po
04-05-2009, 10:52 AM
any word on Dennis Johnson finally getting in?

K-State Spur
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
With all due respect, it only stood out to you because you don't know how journalism works and refuse to listen to the actual explanation. They can't just site someone else's sources and then change the story around. When the official announcement comes out, they'll write their own story, but for now, if you do a search for "basketball hall of fame announcements" in Google News, you see that everything is based on that one Salt Lake Trib story.

ESPN wrote the news story themselves, once they gave Salt Lake credit as the source, they can choose to feature any aspect that they choose of the story. THAT'S HOW JOURNALISM WORKS. This is not a direct verbatim repeat of the SLT story. It's written by ESPN using SLT as a source. You can't lie about what your sources tell you, but you don't have to let them write your story for you either.

I didn't even see this as an intentional snub, I just found it odd.

(We are talking about the same "news" agency that is currently using the headline of "No More Wrigley?" based solely on one comment by Carlos Zambrano saying that he would like a new stadium.)

m33p0
04-05-2009, 11:46 AM
my view is obstructed by your avatar.:drool::drool::drool:

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I wonder if Bulls fans are on their site complaining because Stockton and Sloan got mentioned before Michael Jordan.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
For whatever it's worth, today's ESPN's headlines include:

Jordan, Robinson lead Naismith Hall Class of '09

the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4045879

Jordan, Robinson lead Hall's 2009 class
Associated Press

DETROIT -- It was only a matter of time, and now Michael Jordan is in the Hall of Fame.

Jordan was elected to the class of 2009 Monday with David Robinson, John Stockton, Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and Rutgers women's coach C. Vivian Stringer.

The announcement was made in Detroit, site of the men's Final Four. Induction is Sept. 10-12 in Springfield, Mass., home of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Jordan's Hall of Fame selection was a slam dunk after he retired as perhaps the greatest player in history.

His soaring dunks, Nike commercials and "Air Jordan" nickname helped stamp him as one the most recognizable athletes around the world. He finished a 15-year career with the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards with 32,292 points -- the third-highest total in league history, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone.

Jordan's final career average of 30.12 goes down as the best, just ahead of Wilt Chamberlain's 30.07.

The five-time NBA MVP won six championships with the Bulls and another in college with North Carolina. The Tar Heels play Michigan State in the national championship game Monday night.

Tar Heels coach Roy Williams was an assistant with Carolina on that 1982 national championship team and was at Monday's announcement.

Jordan retired twice during his career. He first came back to the Bulls in 1994 and won three more championships before retiring again in 1998. He then had an ill-fated two-year stint with the Washington Wizards before calling it quits for good in 2003.

Jordan won two of his titles in the 1990s against Sloan, Stockton and the Utah Jazz. Stockton spent his entire career with the Jazz and finished with 19,711 points, 15,806 assists and 3,265 steals.

Stockton also holds NBA records for most assists in a season (1,164 in 1990-91) and highest assist average in a season (14.5 in 1989-90).

Utah took Stockton in the first round of the 1984 draft, using the No. 16 pick on a relatively unknown player from Gonzaga who became one of the top point guards.

Robinson, who earned the nickname "The Admiral" from his college career at Navy, joined Stockton and Jordan as members of the NBA's 50th anniversary team.

He had a stellar 14-year career with the San Antonio Spurs that included two NBA championships, an MVP season, a rookie of the year award, 10 All-Star selections, a scoring title and two Olympic gold medals.

Sloan is the longest tenured head coach in major league sports with a single franchise. A two-time All-Star during his playing days with the Bulls, Sloan is the only NBA coach to win more than 1,000 games with a single team.

He has the Jazz in seventh place in the Western Conference standings going into Monday night's games.

Stringer has led three separate teams to the Final Four in her 38-year career and has an 825-280 mark spanning four decades.

She trails only Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt on the victories list. Stringer guided Rutgers to its fifth straight regional semifinals trip this season.

SenorSpur
04-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Big Dave has got to be one of the most decorated basketball players of all time. In terms of both his college, pro and Olympic achievements.

rascal
04-06-2009, 11:43 AM
John Stockton is the more popular player in historic terms..he's also a short, unathletic white guy, which is very appealing to the media..he's very overrated though..David was obviously much better as a player..

Stockton was very athletic. Just because he didn't do soaring 360 dunks doesn't mean he was not athletic. He was a great pg and you need to be athletic to run the point like stockton.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure how it matters, because the Salt Lake City paper wasn't going to feature David Robinson in their article, and I doubt they were going to take the time to ask Stockton or Sloan about David just to make sure the San Antonio fans that read the article online didn't get their panties in a twist.

rascal
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure how it matters, because the Salt Lake City paper wasn't going to feature David Robinson in their article, and I doubt they were going to take the time to ask Stockton or Sloan about David just to make sure the San Antonio fans that read the article online didn't get their panties in a twist.

Good post. That explains it.

Nathan Explosion
04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
D-Rob's story ran the day before. I read it in the paper that morning and then on ESPN.com later on in the day. And yes it was on the front page.

Mountain gone. Not even a mole hill left. Move along.