PDA

View Full Version : can somone please tell me what has happened to Bruce Bowen?

antimvp
04-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Our fucking media types can't ask POP a simple fucking question or what?

spursfan1000
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought Bowen was a big part of our team. I wonder what pop is smoking.

TheDarkSide.
04-04-2009, 09:02 PM
this last game against indiana he played more minutes than udoka, so i'm still hopeful

itzsoweezee
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM

i live in portland, another one team town, and it amazes me how awful the san antonio sports media is.

why isn't any san antonio sportswriter asking the obvious questions? even if they're too scared to ask them to popovich, at least write about it. but they won't even do that. it's pathetic.

tmtcsc
04-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Pop can be very protective of his coaching decisions. Sadly, the truth is..after last season, the coaches noticed the Bruce lost a step, Finley lost a step and Horry lost 2 steps. Thus, Horry was cut, Finley agreed to lose weight and Bowen was in the final year of his contract.

Perhaps he will give us some good minutes in the playoffs but his days as a Spur player are over after this year, IMO. Unless he accepts a mentoring type position like he has now. Few minutes on the floor, etc.

Its really sad. I didn't realize that he had lost that much. Other people in this forum noticed it, but I didn't. He really used to set the tone for us defensively. The coaches obviously know what they are doing and see much more than we do so I guess its true.

I just hope he finds another gear in the playoffs and earns more minutes. He is 37 which is pretty dang old for the NBA.

SA210
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM

SA210
04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i live in portland, another one team town, and it amazes me how awful the san antonio sports media is.

why isn't any san antonio sportswriter asking the obvious questions? even if they're too scared to ask them to popovich, at least write about it. but they won't even do that. it's pathetic.

exstatic
04-04-2009, 10:18 PM
He's 37. That's what happened.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 11:37 PM
why is his age relevant when Finley and Vaughn are playing? when Pop has played old veterans in the past?..

timvp
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
He's 37. That's what happened.Yeah, I think Pop looks at Bowen's age and just doesn't think Bowen is capable of being trusted due to his age. However, one thing that should be noted is that Bowen started his NBA career late. He may be 37 but his NBA mileage is more of someone who is about 30.

It'd be interesting to see what predicts a player's decline better, age or mileage. I'd bet mileage might be a better indicator just by seeing how straight out of high school players like TMac and Shawn Kemp started declining rapidly in their late 20s.

Pop obviously believes age is a better indicator, though. Even before the season began, Pop had multiple quotes concerning Bowen's age and how there aren't many perimeter players who have been successful at that age.

It's just amazing that Pop played someone like Horry well past the point that it was obvious he was done, while he hasn't given Bowen anywhere near that amount of leeway.

exstatic
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
why is his age relevant when Finley and Vaughn are playing? when Pop has played old veterans in the past?..

1) Vaughn almost never plays.
2) Finley jogs up and down and shoots jumpers.

Bowen's game and value to the Spurs requires MUCH more energy than either of them.

HarlemHeat37
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
from every study I've seen over the last few years, mileage is a much more significant factor than age..

NewJerSpur
04-04-2009, 11:56 PM
If Pop doesn't sick Bruce on guys like Roy, Artest, or Kobe in the playoffs (should we meet any of their teams) then it's a sure thing he's totally done. He's done some interesting things this year to say the least, so I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a 180 come the playoffs. Although Bruce might have lost a step he keeps up his conditioning and should be the freshest out of anyone on the roster.

SA210
04-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I think Pop looks at Bowen's age and just doesn't think Bowen is capable of being trusted due to his age. However, one thing that should be noted is that Bowen started his NBA career late. He may be 37 but his NBA mileage is more of someone who is about 30.

It'd be interesting to see what predicts a player's decline better, age or mileage. I'd bet mileage might be a better indicator just by seeing how straight out of high school players like TMac and Shawn Kemp started declining rapidly in their late 20s.

Pop obviously believes age is a better indicator, though. Even before the season began, Pop had multiple quotes concerning Bowen's age and how there aren't many perimeter players who have been successful at that age.

It's just amazing that Pop played someone like Horry well past the point that it was obvious he was done, while he hasn't given Bowen anywhere near that amount of leeway.

What's Pop's email? :bang

SA210
04-05-2009, 02:00 AM
What's Pop's email? :bang

z0sa
04-05-2009, 02:08 AM
I doubt they will question Pop's motives unless we lose in the playoffs.