PDA

View Full Version : When It Comes To Overall Class, David Robinson Is First

duncan228
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
When it comes to overall class, David Robinson is first (http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/1299566.html)
By David Moore Special to the Star-Telegram

He won’t headline the Class of 2009 that the Basketball Hall of Fame will unveil Monday in Detroit.

That status requires you don’t land in the same class as Michael Jordan.

But then, David Robinson was never one to hog the spotlight. Other stars talk about putting aside their ego for the good of the team.

Robinson did it.

Others say it’s not about money.

Robinson proved it.

If it weren’t for David Robinson, there would be no San Antonio Spurs. I don’t mean that in the grandiose yet less than factual way you often hear on these occasions.

I mean if it weren’t for David Robinson, the Spurs would probably be located in Memphis or Sacramento.

The Spurs were ripe for relocation when they took Robinson with the first pick in the 1987 draft. The stakes were raised knowing he had a two-year Navy commitment to fulfill before he could join the franchise.

Robinson could have forced his way to a more stable franchise. He didn’t. He joined the Spurs for the 1989-90 season and transformed a 21-win team into a 56-win contender.

His arrival put the franchise on solid, South Texas ground.

"There is no question I had a bit of an impact on that," Robinson said. "I mean, there were people who wanted to keep it in San Antonio. But with the market, and even today, I mean, you’ve got to pull some funny strings to make sure you get the money in there. We don’t have the revenue sources that a lot of the larger cities do, and we have to work very hard to make the numbers work there.

"But yeah, I think I played a role in that. I’m proud to be a part of that history in San Antonio and to take it to the next level."

The next level brought championships. Four of them.

Now, I know what the more jaded among you are thinking. Robinson was only around for the first two titles, and the Spurs wouldn’t have won those without Tim Duncan.

True. But how many championship teams have been blown apart before realizing their potential because of egos?

Duncan’s arrival didn’t spark jealousy in Robinson. He understood the rookie was special and embraced him.

The partnership worked because Robinson and Duncan cared about the team more than themselves or their place in the pecking order. It worked because Robinson, the elder with more stature to lose, willingly gave his up to set the tone.

"It was a no-brainer," Robinson said. "As good as Tim was ...

"It wasn’t really a lessening of importance. They still looked to me for leadership and things like that, but Tim was a phenomenal scorer and a great presence in the paint. Why would you not want a great scorer to do his job?"

Need more? There are the MVP and Rookie of the Year awards to go along with his gold medal. There are the scoring, rebounding and blocked-shot titles he won. Robinson has already been recognized as one of the 50 greatest players in NBA history.

He’s not Michael Jordan.

But he’s not bad.

"I have this wonderful memory behind me," Robinson said shortly after he was named a finalist. "Now, the opportunity to be recognized as a Hall of Famer, that’s the cherry on top.

"It’s fantastic."

honestfool84
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
+1

i kinda of wish jordan and robinson weren't in the same class...
jordan is definitely my favorite player, but i love robinson so much.

NewJerSpur
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Dave is the reason I became a Spurs fan back in '96/'97; not just because he was so mobile, quick, and versatile with the basketball for a guy his size, but also because he was humble and left-handed like myself :king. I was glad he went out on top; not at the top of his game necessarily, but at the top of the mountain (taking out the Lakers on the way up there). Cheers to you Mr. Robinson. :toast

jimo2305
04-04-2009, 11:20 PM
very true.. that article right there sums up my whole spurs fanhood

duncan228
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Robinson's service to Navy basketball (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/mens/bal-steele0404,0,5446688.column)
Hall of Famer nominee's roots in service bolster the honor
David Steele

There are a handful of mortal locks in the group of new inductees into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to be announced Monday morning at the men's Final Four in Detroit. Michael Jordan is a no-brainer, as is John Stockton.

Only one from the 2009 class, though, elevated a service academy into the national conversation about college basketball. Only one's list of accomplishments was enhanced as much by where he did it as by what he did.

There never has been before, and almost certainly never will be again, a Navy basketball player like David Robinson, who is expected to get in Monday in his first year of eligibility. If he had never played again after his graduation in 1987, he might have had a strong case for Hall membership strictly based on his college career.

"He's just a wonderful athlete and role model. That's the great thing about him," said Paul Evans, who coached Robinson during that unmatched era in Annapolis more than two decades ago. "He's incredible through and through. He's a wonderful human being." Evans paused, chuckled, then added, "He's probably more excited about the school he started down [in San Antonio] than about the Hall of Fame."

Robinson's track record as a pro with the San Antonio Spurs, and his life off the court there and in retirement -- which, yes, includes the Carver Academy, an elementary school he created in 2001 -- is exemplary. But the roots of it were planted in Annapolis, under Evans, who, when Robinson arrived in 1983, thought he had just a wiry 6-foot-7 freshman who could really run the floor.

Not quite.

Robinson grew to 7-1, became the most dominant player in the game, was consensus National Player of the Year, and carried Navy to three straight NCAA tournaments -- including the final eight in his junior year and the second round as a senior in 1987, when he bowed out with 50 points against defending champion Michigan.

The idea of a player like that at Navy surely seems inconceivable to anyone too young to remember those days. Even less conceivable: Robinson had the opportunity to transfer from Navy and play at a conventional four-year school after two years, trading his postgraduate service commitment for a shot at a national championship and a lucrative pro career.

He chose to stay, and he ended up having it all anyway, while becoming the example for every service-academy athlete with pro prospects from then on.

While Navy basketball didn't disappear when he left, making three NCAA tournaments since, it has never been the talk of the nation the way it was when "The Admiral" was becoming basketball's answer to Roger Staubach.

Thus Evans, who has lived and worked in Annapolis since his college coaching career ended in 1996, expects he and his former players will be on hand for Robinson's induction in Springfield, Mass., in September.

"He's the finest, most intelligent athlete I've ever known," Evans said. Which says a lot, considering he spent six years at Navy and knew quite a few good men, so to speak.

"Yeah, that's true," he said, laughing. "But none of them were like David."

ducks
04-04-2009, 11:29 PM
david is why I like spurs

Spooky
04-05-2009, 12:16 AM
nice article

Spurs Brazil
04-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Great articles

Five-Oh is great

smrattler
04-05-2009, 12:06 PM
The part of the first article that talks about how he made it possible for the Spurs to be here and how the Spurs (unlike other big market teams) have to work really hard to make the numbers add up and stay in San Antonio...

Makes me appreciate the run we've had. Will make it easier to accept it when it's over.

sook
04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
hai I'm D Rob.

J Mack
04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
He is the reason i became a Spurs fan ! Go Big Dave! :toast