PDA

View Full Version : Sit Duncan Rest of Reg Season

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I know their is not much time left 9 days or so, but I think the Spurs need to sit Duncan untill playoffs to let him recover. Because the only reason I think he is playing is because they are trying to hang on to the 2nd seed. But the way this team is playing and Duncan not 100% they are not going anywhere anyway. But if they finish 4th seed (Duncan 100% now) lets say and face lackers earlier than conf finals they'll have just as good a chance as any. I know this is highly unlikly because Duncan is tough, plays through injuries blah, blah, blah but Pop being as wise as he is about the importance of reg season v playoffs , he should really consider this as an option.

thekingrobert
04-05-2009, 02:26 PM
yes sit him and give him that rest, right now we're in and him healthy is more important than seeding

lefty
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree

Let's go KG on TD

sook
agreed. He looked like he was hurting bad out there, reminded me of T-Mac playing injured and not even making it to the top of the rim.

xtremesteven33
Dont let this game fool you in thinking Tim Duncan is hurt that much. Tim didnt get alot of touches and therfore wont shoot alot.

Spurs lost this game due to horrible coaching again. Sitting Tim,Tony and Manu out at the same time for an extended period of time will lose you the game.

DMX7
I say let him play the last game of the reg season just to get a little flow going but the seeding still matters a little right now. We want home court in the first round at least.

Chief
04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I agree

Let's go KG on TD

:lol

lefty
04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Dont let this game fool you in thinking Tim Duncan is hurt that much. Tim didnt get alot of touches and therfore wont shoot alot.

Spurs lost this game due to horrible coaching again. Sitting Tim,Tony and Manu out at the same time for an extended period of time will lose you the game.

It's not about the touches

His mobility didn't look great

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree..our seeding is pretty much irrelevant at this point..

TinTin
04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Will 10 days really make a difference in duncan's health? sorry I dont know the extent of his injuries except for his knees

crc21209
04-05-2009, 02:40 PM
TD just played bad. Don't think it was his health because he's looked good and better the past week. He had the big tip-in at Indy to pretty much seal the game.

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Will 10 days really make a difference in duncan's health? sorry I dont know the extent of his injuries except for his knees

10days to pro athl. like this is a huge diff. thats like saying manu could have come back 10days before he did and have been the same. That is why injuries are discussed in weeks because in days much recovery can be done much less weeks.:flag:

superbigtime
04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Tim is not playing with any energy. slow on defense. not aggressive. Trickled down to the whole team except for drew. Even if Tim sits, Pop still probably won't start drew.

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2009, 02:51 PM
TD just played bad. Don't think it was his health because he's looked good and better the past week. He had the big tip-in at Indy to pretty much seal the game.

I disagree. Tim's mobility has been the same ever since he's returned from the injury. Most of his scoring since coming back is from Parker creating or from an offensive rebound. Very seldom did he ever dominate a game on the block since he's returned. I wish we had just sat him from the beginning until the playoffs started. I think 5 weeks of rehab and rest would have helped him.

Looks like our season will be cut short.

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Duncan's health is going to be on a game-to-game basis..that's how it's going to be for the rest of the year..there's no predicting how he's going to feel..

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Tim is not playing with any energy. slow on defense. not aggressive. Trickled down to the whole team except for drew. Even if Tim sits, Pop still probably won't start drew.

Drew should get some more minutes especially early, but the importance is that Duncan can't be aggressive on either side of the floor because of PAIN. Your body will naturally make adjustments when their is pain. Reaction is the fastest movement and pain causes natural body reaction to slow your movment.

wisnub
04-05-2009, 02:54 PM
I know their is not much time left 9 days or so, but I think the Spurs need to sit Duncan untill playoffs to let him recover. Because the only reason I think he is playing is because they are trying to hang on to the 2nd seed. But the way this team is playing and Duncan not 100% they are not going anywhere anyway. But if they finish 4th seed (Duncan 100% now) lets say and face lackers earlier than conf finals they'll have just as good a chance as any. I know this is highly unlikly because Duncan is tough, plays through injuries blah, blah, blah but Pop being as wise as he is about the importance of reg season v playoffs , he should really consider this as an option.

I understand ur argument...maybe I agree but I dont see any other teams rest their players just got the fresh start in playoffs. Anyone same as DUncan age or even more: KG,Shaq,etc all other big man didnt rest. What happened, why Spurs need more rest than other teams? I think somehow Spurs just falling. Today only Tony and Gooden preforms...others just dissapear. This is more teams problems....Pop did rest him in some games and Manu got his rest because he just got injured. NOONE ELSE EXCEPT TONY CAN GIVE RELIABLE NUMBERS DAY IN DAY OUT. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. As much as I love DUncan he is not the only solution. Teams just sucks, TP need help..he got only from Gooden this game. Spurs will fall for sure.. I watch Spurs last 10 games and no improvement. Playoff should be the same

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Again, I'm not sure what you guys are seeing from this game that's such an indication of problems with Timmy's health. He was very good in the first quarter, and then the rotations fell apart around him, offensively and defensively, and he didn't play very many minutes and had almost zero plays run for him in the final 38 minutes of the game.

If there is a problem with his health, it's the tendonosis and resting him for two weeks isn't going to help it at all.

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 03:01 PM
"I understand ur argument...maybe I agree but I dont see any other teams rest their players just got the fresh start in playoffs. Anyone same as DUncan age or even more: KG,Shaq,etc all other big man didnt rest. What happened, why Spurs need more rest than other teams?"

But see that last statment you made is what I am talking about. Spurs have never won a championship by being like the other teams. Pop doesn't care if we go in 1st or 8th seed it's about your team being ready to play at their best at the right time. Another propblem is our 3pt % was best about 3 months ago and back and playoffs is no time to find your teams 3pt shot. We do things diff. and win the war not every battle.

spurtech09
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I think some rest will sevre him wonders....Wouldn't hurt for the rest of the games were already in the play offs....I think it will help

VaSpursFan
04-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Again, I'm not sure what you guys are seeing from this game that's such an indication of problems with Timmy's health. He was very good in the first quarter, and then the rotations fell apart around him, offensively and defensively, and he didn't play very many minutes and had almost zero plays run for him in the final 38 minutes of the game.

If there is a problem with his health, it's the tendonosis and resting him for two weeks isn't going to help it at all.

+1. you don't want timmy going into the playoffs with too much rust on his game. if you want to help him, you can reduce his minutes but he's got to play for the simple fact that he has to learn to play with this injury since he won't be fully healed until the off season. he's gotta play through this one.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Timmy's been putting up about 20-10 the past couple games and he looked better out there for the past week. And 1 week is not going to help his overall health anyway.

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I understand ur argument...maybe I agree but I dont see any other teams rest their players just got the fresh start in playoffs. Anyone same as DUncan age or even more: KG,Shaq,etc all other big man didnt rest. What happened, why Spurs need more rest than other teams? I think somehow Spurs just falling. Today only Tony and Gooden preforms...others just dissapear. This is more teams problems....Pop did rest him in some games and Manu got his rest because he just got injured. NOONE ELSE EXCEPT TONY CAN GIVE RELIABLE NUMBERS DAY IN DAY OUT. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. As much as I love DUncan he is not the only solution. Teams just sucks, TP need help..he got only from Gooden this game. Spurs will fall for sure.. I watch Spurs last 10 games and no improvement. Playoff should be the same

What I see is that no matter what the rest of the team would do, Duncan would still get his and dominate DOMINATE his position especially 1on1s. Now they may lose a game because other players did not do their part or were missing shots. But the fact of the matter is Duncan would never be shut down by 1 player and this has happend more times than ever as of recent thats why he needs rest.

Nathan Explosion
04-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Play him no more than 25 mins a game like I said. Keeps him sharp while resting him. Gooden has played pretty well and can only get better with experience.

Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Also, Oberto (if healthy) needs to play more than Bonner, for defensive purposes. When Bonner's shot isn't falling, he's useless. In the playoffs we need toughness over a guy who can't shoot (at the moment to be fair) and gets muscled around on defense.

temujin
04-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Rest Duncan if you want to win games.

Period.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 03:46 PM
What I see is that no matter what the rest of the team would do, Duncan would still get his and dominate DOMINATE his position especially 1on1s. Now they may lose a game because other players did not do their part or were missing shots. But the fact of the matter is Duncan would never be shut down by 1 player and this has happend more times than ever as of recent thats why he needs rest.

So how do you explain Duncan's performance in the two games prior to today? It certainly doesn't support your "happened more times than ever" statement. I asked specifically what you are seeing to make you think his injury is bothering him more than usual or that he's in pain.

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
So how do you explain Duncan's performance in the two games prior to today? It certainly doesn't support your "happened more times than ever" statement. I asked specifically what you are seeing to make you think his injury is bothering him more than usual or that he's in pain.

Your basing your view on the last 2 games against teams below 500 the pacers and thunder. Enough said.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Your basing your view on the last 2 games against teams below 500 the pacers and thunder. Enough said.

I'm sorry, but I'd consider the last three games to fall under the "as of recent" cloak that you so awkwardly cast to imply that Duncan needs rest, but if that's not sufficient, let's go back further, shall we?

Since the Phoenix game on March 8, here are Duncan's numbers:

17.5 Points per game
10.8 Rebounds per game
1.4 Blocks per game

So allow me to rephrase the question, and maybe now you can answer it:

So how do you explain Duncan's performance over the past month? It certainly doesn't support your "happened more times than ever" statement. I asked specifically what you are seeing to make you think his injury is bothering him more than usual or that he's in pain.

ballhog
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Tim looks shot. Manu rusty. Cavs couldn't miss. Spurs couldn't hit. Put Tim on the bench until the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Tim looks shot.

17.5 Points per game
10.8 Rebounds per game
1.4 Blocks per game

J.T.
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
This is Tim Duncan we're talking about, who was named Finals MVP in 2005 on two bad ankles and who fouled out the entire Mavericks team while playing with plantar fasciitis only three seasons ago.

Of course this is mostly post-2005 and post-2007 Spurfan saying these evil things about Duncan, which is understandable given their lack of knowledge on the subject of Playoff Tim Duncan.

Fabbs
04-05-2009, 06:56 PM
If it will help his condition, sit him yes.

Seeding won't mean squat with an injured Tim added to an already moronic Popped rotation.

jdelar03
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I'd consider the last three games to fall under the "as of recent" cloak that you so awkwardly cast to imply that Duncan needs rest, but if that's not sufficient, let's go back further, shall we?

17.5 Points per game
10.8 Rebounds per game
1.4 Blocks per game

So allow me to rephrase the question, and maybe now you can answer it:

So how do you explain Duncan's performance over the past month? It certainly doesn't support your "happened more times than ever" statement. I asked specifically what you are seeing to make you think his injury is bothering him more than usual or that he's in pain.

So 4pts below career average, about 1 rebound less and roughly a block per game below career average is doing good to you. Another thing to consider is Duncan is not being double teamed near as much as he as in the past so in my view he's playing below career averages without making the other teams play doubles on him constantly. Look if you want to keep thinking he's not hurt and is healthy than great. All I'm saying is we need him healthy more than we need the 2nd seed.

spursfan1000
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I don't agreee on not playing him at all. I would like for him to play but around 20-25 mins a game. He really needs the rest for the playoffs, Manu looks good so he can stat with the amount of minutes he is getting now. Either way we will win the championship :)

Agloco
04-05-2009, 09:40 PM

The nature of Timmy's injury is such that it will not get better with a few days or even weeks rest. He needs to be off those knees for an extended period of time. That's simply not an option at this juncture. The thing you need to come to grips with is that Timmy's mobility issue is a direct consequence of his tendinosis. It's not getting any better during the PO either.

This is but one of the reasons why I say that the Spurs are done this year.

Spursone
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
:flag:AGREED!:lobt2:

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 06:42 AM
So 4pts below career average, about 1 rebound less and roughly a block per game below career average is doing good to you.

In 28 minutes per game? Absolutely. Your argument that those numbers aren't good is actually more stupid than your argument that he should be resting for a week and a half with an injury that typically takes 5-8 months of rest to heal.

Another thing to consider is Duncan is not being double teamed near as much as he as in the past so in my view he's playing below career averages without making the other teams play doubles on him constantly.

I haven't seen teams stop doubling him. What I saw yesterday was an offense that ran really well in the first quarter when it was going through him, and then it fell apart for the next three quarters when he got four touches. The worst part is that mouth-breathers come into the forums and blame Duncan for it.