PDA

View Full Version : Diego Sanchez: One win away from UFC title shot at 155 pounds?

dbreiden83080
04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
http://mmajunkie.com/news/14468/diego-sanchez-one-win-away-from-ufc-title-shot-at-155-pounds.mma

Diego Sanchez: One win away from UFC title shot at 155 pounds?

by John Morgan on Apr 04, 2009 at 7:50 pm ET

Currently on a three-fight win streak, UFC welterweight-turned-lightweight Diego Sanchez (20-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) believes he's one solid win away from a shot at the UFC's lightweight 155-pound title.

And on the most recent episode of HDNet's "Inside MMA," Sanchez said the UFC feels the same way.

"I have been given word that a dominating victory over Clay Guida, which I intend to do, will be put me right in my spot for the title shot," Sanchez said.

Sanchez meets Guida at the Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale on June 20 in Las Vegas.

Sanchez, winner of season one of "The Ultimate Fighter," went through a rough stretch in 2007 with back-to-back decision losses to Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck - the first two losses of his then-five-year-old career.

"Nightmare" has since bounced back with wins over Luigi Fioravanti, David Bielkheden and, in his first and to-date-only bout at 155 pounds, Joe Stevenson.

The UFC's lightweight belt will next be contested in an August matchup between current champ B.J. Penn and No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

Sanchez believes his first-round TKO win over Florian in 2005's original Ultimate Fighter Finale, and his size advantage in his new division, prove he's ready for the challenge.

"Being one of the biggest 155-pounders is going to give me a great edge," Sanchez said. "I've beat Kenny Florian in a decisive fashion, so I put myself as a No. 1 contender - and I'm here to prove that."

I don't like Diego and think Penn beats him after Florain but we'll see...

Evan
04-05-2009, 05:38 PM
He deserves it now that I have reviewed his record.

Its hard to believe he is 9-2 in the UFC. I would have guessed 10-4 or something.

dallaskd
04-05-2009, 07:07 PM
He deserves it now that I have reviewed his record.

Its hard to believe he is 9-2 in the UFC. I would have guessed 10-4 or something.

Mike Swick is 8-1 in the UFC...when will they ever even consider him..

Evan
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
^^^

soon I think. He is right on track but has has a lot of injuries.