PDA

View Full Version : ...For what it's worth Spurs Fan (From a Laker fan)

TheManFromAcme
04-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to give you my perspective on things regarding your team.

The Spurs have a core of 3, THREE guys that brought this team the LOB trophy 3 times (Manu and Tony weren't there in 1999). As a basketball enthusiast first, I don't believe the Spurs will continue to play like this. I know injuries are upon them and Tim looks a little slower but you have to think that at some point these guys will gel. Being a veteran is just that....A veteran. You've been there before, faced many adversities and have over-come impossible odds. I think if Manu and Tim don't have these health issues and Tony doesn't injure his ankle earlier in the season, this is easily a 55+ win team or more (right behind the heel of my beloved Lakers of course :toast).

My whole point is this: I wouldn't be counting these guys out. Will they make it to the WCF's? Who knows. Will the Lakers make it to the WCF's. On paper they should, but Utah and Portland are no pushovers. Anything can still happen. This Spurs team reminds me of the '87 Lakers. Bunch of old veterans. A Kareem that was pusing 40. Magic and Worhty already in their early 30's. What happend? They went on to win the whole enchilada.

We're talking about Tim, Manu and Tony here people. They aren't scrubs. Yes, they are 1 year older but your not talking about Manu, Tim and Tony 5-6 years displaced from '07.

Personally, I want to see the Spurs and Lakers at the WCF's but this season is going to offer more suprises than Spurs and Lakers fan want to bargain for. It will be THAT interesting. I just feel it.

Besides, I want a full strength Spurs and Lakers to face off to settle this thing once and for all. The window for my Lakers obviously is much more wide open (presently) than the Spurs and should the Spurs be in actual decline, than I will cherish these games a lot more because at the end of the day......the Lakers and Spurs are really damn good teams.

Lets enjoy them while we can.

circles_eternal
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
you make my heart melt.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 05:29 PM

The Spurs have a core of 3, THREE guys that brought this team the LOB trophy 3 times (Manu and Tony weren't there in 1999). As a basketball enthusiast first, I don't believe the Spurs will continue to play like this. I know injuries are upon them and Tim looks a little slower but you have to think that at some point these guys will gel. Being a veteran is just that....A veteran. You've been there before, faced many adversities and have over-come impossible odds. I think if Manu and Tim don't have these health issues and Tony doesn't injure his ankle earlier in the season, this is easily a 55+ win team or more (right behind the heel of my beloved Lakers of course :toast).

My whole point is this: I wouldn't be counting these guys out. Will they make it to the WCF's? Who knows. Will the Lakers make it to the WCF's. On paper they should, but Utah and Portland are no pushovers. Anything can still happen. This Spurs team reminds me of the '87 Lakers. Bunch of old veterans. A Kareem that was pusing 40. Magic and Worhty already in their early 30's. What happend? They went on to win the whole enchilada.

We're talking about Tim, Manu and Tony here people. They aren't scrubs. Yes, they are 1 year older but your not talking about Manu, Tim and Tony 5-6 years displaced from '07.

Personally, I want to see the Spurs and Lakers at the WCF's but this season is going to offer more suprises than Spurs and Lakers fan want to bargain for. It will be THAT interesting. I just feel it.

Besides, I want a full strength Spurs and Lakers to face off to settle this thing once and for all. The window for my Lakers obviously is much more wide open (presently) than the Spurs and should the Spurs be in actual decline, than I will cherish these games a lot more because at the end of the day......the Lakers and Spurs are really damn good teams.

:toast A Laker fan with some knowledge of the game. Anyone in here who thinks the Big 3 and Bowen are going to down down without a damn good fight are crazy. These are the 4 time champions of the past 10 years people. Fucking Believe. :flag:

Nathan Explosion
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
If I'm the Lakers, I'd worry about Utah. Odom and Gasol aren't known as physical players, and Boozer and Millsap will punish them in the block. I'm not saying Utah is a favorite, just not a good matchup for the Lakers.

The Spurs have to worry about Portland's youth and athleticism. That's their biggest threat I think. However, the youth may not be a good thing against a team like the Spurs who've won championships in 4, 5, 6, and 7 games. Nothing should surprise them in the playoffs.

Of course, this is all moot if the Spurs can't get it together once the playoffs start.

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
thanks for the kind words..

I wasn't around in '87, so I can't really comment on the comparison..the closest comparison I can make is the 2003 Lakers that we beat..they had the same core that brought them the titles, but needed to re-tool the rest of their lineup..

I wouldn't count out making the conference finals at all, but sadly, the Lakers would kill us..

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Lakers would kill Utah..

Utah is probably the most overrated team in the NBA..they haven't won a road game against a West playoff team this season, which is nothing new..they don't play D in any way..

Portland is the most dangerous team that will be slept on IMO..

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
if we have home court, we would beat them..Portland can't win on the road..

lefty
04-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Lakers would kill Utah..

Utah is probably the most overrated team in the NBA..they haven't won a road game against a West playoff team this season, which is nothing new..they don't play D in any way..

Portland is the most dangerous team that will be slept on IMO..

Refs bailed Lakers out vs Utah in game 5 last season (the Gasol push)

Utah can compete with L.A

Brazil
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM

:toast our time has may be come but for sure these 3 vets will give everything to try a last time this year or next year.

21_Blessings
04-05-2009, 05:54 PM
If I'm the Lakers, I'd worry about Utah. Odom and Gasol aren't known as physical players, and Boozer and Millsap will punish them in the block. I'm not saying Utah is a favorite, just not a good matchup for the Lakers.

Hahaha, Boozer punishing Bynum on the block. Funny stuff!

Utah has absolutely no one that can guard Kobe. And they can't win on the road. The Jazz are not a threat to the Lakers. At all.

Laker Lanny
Everything's Zen forum.

Brazil
:toast our time has may be come but for sure these 3 vets will give everything to try a last time this year or next year.

Wow I'm calling TP a vet :lol

Manufan909
04-05-2009, 05:57 PM

+1 Great post from a Laker fan, and a high bar has been set by IM and Allonon, with lakerdynasties and lakuluva bringing it back to earth.:lol

And I hope Gist, Hill, Ian, and Hairston can combine to convince Pop they should be played more than Fin, Mase at PG, Bonner, and Fin(I know I put him twice). That looks like a damn fine infusion of youth, to go with STs Big 4, and the assorted role players with a year or more left on their contract after ths season.

:flag:

Hope this years POs don't force me to constantly daydream about a 12 man rotation of Parker, Hill, Ginobili, Mason, Hairston, Gist, Bowen, Duncan, Mahinmi, Gooden, Thomas, and Bonner in the 2010 POs.

Starters in bold, with situational starters in blue.

DeadlyDynasty
04-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Refs bailed Lakers out vs Utah in game 5 last season (the Gasol push)

Utah can compete with L.A

oh how tragic...i see you're suffering from selective amnesia. You conveniently left out the fact that Utah escaped with games 3 and 4 by the skin of their teeth(also w/ some home-cookin' from the refs). don't bring that weak shit in here. Lakers would take Utah in 5 games max...The Jazz are a trainwreck right now.

Spursfan092120
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Dude...total new respect for you. Great read.

DeadlyDynasty
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Everything's Zen forum.

I don't think so:lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Nice sentiments, especially from a Laker fan, but you obviously haven't been watching our team lately. Totally discombobulated is the only way to describe them. Pop is confused and he's confusing the players. Tim is hurt and playing at half effectiveness. Bruce is done. Tony and Manu cannot get it all done on their own.

If we get to the 2nd round it'll be a huge surprise, the WCFs a minor miracle, the Finals a revelation, and I'm pretty sure that if we win the Championship this year that will herald the Apocalypse... but don't worry, that won't happen.

I'll still be cheering for them until the end though. :flag:

DeadlyDynasty
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice sentiments, especially from a Laker fan, but you obviously haven't been watching our team lately. Totally discombobulated is the only way to describe them. Pop is confused and he's confusing the players. Tim is hurt and playing at half effectiveness. Bruce is done. Tony and Manu cannot get it all done on their own.

If we get to the 2nd round it'll be a huge surprise, the WCFs a minor miracle, the Finals a revelation, and I'm pretty sure that if we win the Championship this year that will herald the Apocalypse... but don't worry, that won't happen.

I'll still be cheering for them until the end though. :flag:

How is Bruce done? He's definitely lost a step but still one helluva defender. I agree with you on Pop though--his decision making this year regarding rotations and substitutions is very perplexing to say the least.

spursfan09
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Okay Spur fans let this be a wake up call to you...

Laker fans lending out thier hands to help you come down from the ledge.

I agree with everything you said basically.

If you Spur fans chose not to believe even before the playoffs start then save yourself alot of grief and anger and don't watch anymore. The playoffs are exactly like this.... You can get blown out one night and look like champs the next. It's just about looking like champs moreso than the other team. :)

Spursmania
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
All Spurs fans should appreciate the (Laker fan) ManfromAcme for having enough class and decency not to gloat and actually start a pretty decent thread here. Obviously, he knows basketball and respects the way even opposing teams like the Spurs have played. It's cool.

If you look in the basketball forum titled (WOW oh WOW), a couple noobie Laker fans and deadlydynasty, joined in to really trash the Spurs and say some pretty derogatory and disgusting things about Parker and his wife Eva today after the game. This type of shit is more the norm from insecure Laker fans.

So, I'm taking time out to give the ManfromAcme a shout out. Here's to a classy Laker fan. Thanks!:toast

smrattler
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
TheManFromAcme completes me.

TheManFromAcme
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys (you also Spursmania).

I don't like the Spurs (for rooting purposes obviously) but hey.........

I love B-ball FIRST and to count the Spurs out would be silly.
If this were a Clippers, Pacers, T-wolves forum I can see the vulnerability of the fans but Spurs? Nah.

The playoffs start in about 2 weeks.
Lets just sit back and wait and see what really transpires. Many will be surprised. :wow

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
How is Bruce done? He's definitely lost a step but still one helluva defender. I agree with you on Pop though--his decision making this year regarding rotations and substitutions is very perplexing to say the least.

When was the last time Bruce stopped someone? I could count about 7 games this year where he's had a noticeable impact, and the last one I can think of is when we played the Nets about 6 weeks ago.

I hate to say it because I love Bruce as much as any other Spurs fan, but he's largely ineffective now whereas a year ago he was still a game-changer, and two years ago he was still the best defender in the NBA. Everyone gets old sometime.

DeadlyDynasty
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
All Spurs fans should appreciate the (Laker fan) ManfromAcme for having enough class and decency not to gloat and actually start a pretty decent thread here. Obviously, he knows basketball and respects the way even opposing teams like the Spurs have played. It's cool.

If you look in the basketball forum titled (WOW oh WOW), a couple noobie Laker fans and deadlydynasty, joined in to really trash the Spurs and say some pretty derogatory and disgusting things about Parker and his wife Eva today after the game. This type of shit is more the norm from insecure Laker fans.

So, I'm taking time out to give the ManfromAcme a shout out. Here's to a classy Laker fan. Thanks!:toast
dude it was in the smack/NBA forum and none of it was malicious. You know it's all in good fun over there. Hell, every other Spurs fan joke is a Kobe rapist joke. It's all in good fun man, no hard feelings. I don't wish "that" on Eva:lol

21_Blessings
04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Eva is an ugly cow

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1858/evalol.png

By the way the Spurs are done. The window is shut. Lakers team of the decade. Peace

SPURS50
04-05-2009, 09:28 PM
That's a scary pic. ^

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Lakers have been eliminated in the 1st round twice, and even missed the playoffs during this decade..

of course Laker fans hate Tony and Eva..look what they're used to with Kobe and his wife..they treat their maid like a tortured slave, including making her reach into dog shit IIRC..class acts..

Agloco
04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
That's a scary pic. ^

STFU.

Like you'd throw that out of bed or something........

vednam
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM

In 1987 Magic Johnson was 27-28 and had his best individual season. James Worthy was just 26. They were not in their early 30s by any stretch.

DrHouse
04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I really do admire the Spur's organization and what they've managed to do to keep their team competitive in the last decade.

But I think we are finally seeing the wheels fall off the wagon. Tim and Manu simply aren't the players they were even a few years ago. Their bodies don't appear to be able to hold up to the rigors of a 82 game season and a deep playoff run. They need an infusion of young talent in the worst way like when they brought in Tony and Manu. Duncan desperately needs help, they can't expect him to carry the team anymore. Letting go of Scola and misfiring on Splitter were two mistakes they couldn't afford to make.

Watching the game today was almost like being at a funeral. You could see the Spurs trying out there but they just couldn't make it happen. At this point I worry more about Portland than I do about the Spurs.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I really do admire the Spur's organization and what they've managed to do to keep their team competitive in the last decade.

But I think we are finally seeing the wheels fall off the wagon. Tim and Manu simply aren't the players they were even a few years ago. Their bodies don't appear to be able to hold up to the rigors of a 82 game season and a deep playoff run. They need an infusion of young talent in the worst way like when they brought in Tony and Manu. Duncan desperately needs help, they can't expect him to carry the team anymore. Letting go of Scola and misfiring on Splitter were two mistakes they couldn't afford to make.

Watching the game today was almost like being at a funeral. You could see the Spurs trying out there but they just couldn't make it happen. At this point I worry more about Portland than I do about the Spurs.

Cuz everything is based on the regular season right? Leave it to you to come bash the Spurs and Spurs fans. Of course. It's not April 18th yet...untill then..shut your mouth "Dr."

Spursmania
04-05-2009, 10:09 PM
STFU.

Like you'd throw that out of bed or something........

:rollin

SA210
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
We need Bruce!

Mugen
04-05-2009, 10:17 PM
haha gotta love the faker fans.

DeadlyDynasty
04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Lakers have been eliminated in the 1st round twice, and even missed the playoffs during this decade..

of course Laker fans hate Tony and Eva..look what they're used to with Kobe and his wife..they treat their maid like a tortured slave, including making her reach into dog shit IIRC..class acts..

dude, she was slackin on the job:lol...She could've quit and done landscaping or sell oranges on the side of the road instead. No one's holding a gun to her head