PDA

View Full Version : the Vince Carter non-trade..

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I was a big supporter of the Carter trade..I defended him against the majority of the people here..he's one of my favorite players, I would have loved to see him in a Spurs uniform..but I understood why we didn't trade for him..long contract, didn't want to give up promising players in Mason and Hill..

looking back at it now..I think I can safely say that we'd all be extremely disappointed if Pop didn't even give Hill a chance in the playoffs, and Mason can't contribute the way he was expected, since it's arguable that Pop's experiment of having him at PG is the reason for his current struggles..

I'm not one of these anti-FO guys on here that complain without logic..I understood why they didn't want to make the trade..but I really hope that Pop makes things right with Mason and Hill..because if they don't get a shot to use their strengths in the playoffs, it's going to be difficult to ignore the fact that Vince could have been helping us win right now..

baseline bum
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
:pctoss

I was against the trade, but that was under the assumption Hill would get minutes. Either way, no chance Holt signs off on paying that contract.

ElNono
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Has been thread... It didn't happen, move on.

superbigtime
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I was a big supporter of the Carter trade..I defended him against the majority of the people here..he's one of my favorite players, I would have loved to see him in a Spurs uniform..but I understood why we didn't trade for him..long contract, didn't want to give up promising players in Mason and Hill..

looking back at it now..I think I can safely say that we'd all be extremely disappointed if Pop didn't even give Hill a chance in the playoffs, and Mason can't contribute the way he was expected, since it's arguable that Pop's experiment of having him at PG is the reason for his current struggles..

I'm not one of these anti-FO guys on here that complain without logic..I understood why they didn't want to make the trade..but I really hope that Pop makes things right with Mason and Hill..because if they don't get a shot to use their strengths in the playoffs, it's going to be difficult to ignore the fact that Vince could have been helping us win right now..

I wouldn't have minded seeing VC in silver and black. Seeing how Pop has "coached" the rookie he and RC drafted and how Mason is more inconsistent than Finley, I gladly would have seen this trade gone down. Especially if Bruce woulda been waived and Spurs coulda gotten him back.

smrattler
04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Bruce, Hill and Mason wer the three guys they supposedly didn't want to have to give up to get someone... those guys are not playing in their same roles anymore.

Valid point.

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 07:27 PM
..and that's the problem..

I would rather have Bruce, Hill, and Mason if you asked me(Bruce would have came back anyways)..but these guys aren't even getting a chance to play to their strengths..Mason is being utilized wrong, Bowen and Hill aren't even getting a chance to play..

iilluzioN
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
lol @ some people that think VC is the solution to our problems....

alchemist
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
screw this, what about the Camby trade?

ATXSPUR
04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Has been thread... It didn't happen, move on.

Did you bother reading the first post before writting this?

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 07:33 PM
the Camby trade wasn't up to us..the Clippers rejected it..

Vince Carter would obviously help us..you're basically asking Vince Carter or Ime Udoka/struggling Mason?..

we were all worried about losing Hill and having to play Vaughn..well look what happened..we still have Hill, but Vaughn is still playing..

alchemist
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
the Camby trade wasn't up to us..the Clippers rejected it..

Vince Carter would obviously help us..you're basically asking Vince Carter or Ime Udoka/Jacque Vaughn/struggling Mason?..
wasn't the deal off because the Spurs didn' want to include Hill?

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 07:36 PM
from what I remember, the Clippers were about to do the trade, but just changed their minds at the last minute..I could be wrong though, somebody will correct me..

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2009, 07:44 PM
..Mason is being utilized wrong, Bowen and Hill aren't even getting a chance to play..

Mason has just been scouted. Teams are more aware of what he can and can't do this late in the season. It's not that he's utilized wrong. Early in the year Mason was hardly ever trapped or hedged in pick and roll situations. Different story now.

lefty
04-05-2009, 08:16 PM

I've got news for you

Old news.....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM

Bloody good point.

I don't like Vince much, but the reason for not signing him was to keep Hill and Mason, and they are both on the outer right now, so should we have made the trade? If it's all about a ring this year, the answer in hindsight is "yes". However, maybe the team is thinking ahead to 2010-12 at this point.

Right now it's Tim's ongoing knee health that is scaring the shit out of me. Does tendonosis improve with rest? I thought it was degenerative, and if that's the case this may well be the end of our era.

Kori Ellis
04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Mason has just been scouted. Teams are more aware of what he can and can't do this late in the season. It's not that he's utilized wrong. Early in the year Mason was hardly ever trapped or hedged in pick and roll situations. Different story now.

Playing him at backup point guard for a while instead of off guard didn't help either.

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Playing him at backup point guard for a while instead of off guard didn't help either.

True but the majority of his points and his shots were from pick and roll situations whether they were from the point guard position or shooting guard position earlier in the year. Those opportunities are just not there anymore for Mason. Teams are more aware of that and more aware of his inability to create and penetrate. Therefore teams are playing his shot and making him put it on the floor, where he is very turnover prone.

Sad to say but because of this very reason Mason over achieved early this year.He's a one dimensional spot up shooter that should never handle the ball in the half court set. Him and Finley are the same player in my eyes. Except Finley is a better defender which is a pretty damn bad thing to say about Mason.

That said. I endorsed the trade for Carter and still wish it happened

ducks
04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
mason and hill for carter right now great
however I doubt the nets would ok it
anyhow

Spur-Addict
04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Look forward, not back. This will not help anyone.

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
that doesn't have to happen though..

Mason's role is simply to shoot..that's it..he should rarely put the ball on the floor..there's no reason he can't have all his plays playing OFF the ball through screens, or just taking open shots from the big 3 creating..

yes, teams adjusted to him..but that's why Pop should make a counter-attack..he hasn't adjusted to the D..he's still using Mason in the same way, which is his problem..Mason should never take a shot unless he's coming off a screen off the ball, or unless he's wide open..my opinion at least..

it doesn't make a difference anyways..Carter would have been a huge upgrade over the current Mason, and 2 ghosts..

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
this is a Spurs message board..we're here to discuss Spurs-related shit..if something annoys me as a fan, I'm going to talk about it..if you have comments like "old news" or "stop living in the past", then don't post in this thread..simple as that..

shit, we're still getting Scola threads..

benefactor
04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
shit, we're still getting Scola threads..
Ha ha...touche.

Spur-Addict
04-05-2009, 09:05 PM
It's just my opinion, i'll say what I want. I'll post where i want, and if you have a problem, that's unfortunate for you.

superbigtime
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
that doesn't have to happen though..

Mason's role is simply to shoot..that's it..he should rarely put the ball on the floor..there's no reason he can't have all his plays playing off the ball through screens, or just taking open shots from the big 3 creating..

Yes, teams adjusted to him..but that's why pop should make a counter-attack..he hasn't adjusted to the d..he's still using mason in the same way, which is his problem..mason should never take a shot unless he's coming off a screen off the ball, or unless he's wide open..my opinion at least..

It doesn't make a difference anyways..carter would have been a huge upgrade over the current mason, and 2 ghosts..

+1

SPURS50
04-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Even if the spurs did trade for carter I don't think it would of helped the way that they have been playing of late. They look very predictable out there at the moment. I personally would have welcomed him on the team but at the time it looked like a lot to give for him.