PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea launches rocket

Cant_Be_Faded
04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Didn't see a thread, so figured I'd give it a shot:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_nkorea_missile

UNITED NATIONS – The U.S. and its allies sought punishment Sunday for North Korea's defiant launch of a rocket that apparently fizzled into the Pacific, holding an emergency U.N. meeting in response to the "provocative act" that some believe was a long-range missile test.

President Barack Obama, faced with his first global security crisis, called for an international response and condemned North Korea for threatening the peace and stability of nations "near and far." Minutes after liftoff, Japan requested the emergency Security Council session in New York.

U.S. and South Korean officials claim the entire rocket, including whatever payload it carried, ended up in the ocean but many world leaders fear the launch indicates the capacity to fire a long-range missile. Pyongyang claims it launched an experimental communications satellite into orbit Sunday and that it is transmitting data and patriotic songs.

"North Korea broke the rules, once again, by testing a rocket that could be used for long-range missiles," Obama said in Prague. "It creates instability in their region, around the world. This provocation underscores the need for action, not just this afternoon in the U.N. Security Council, but in our determination to prevent the spread of these weapons."

Council members met for three hours, seeking above all a unified response, but broke up for the night without issuing even a customary preliminary statement of condemnation. Diplomats privy to the closed-door talks say China, Russia, Libya and Vietnam were concerned about further alienating and destabilizing North Korea.

"We're now in a very sensitive moment," Chinese Ambassador Zhang Yesui said after the talks concluded. "Our position is that all countries concerned should show restraint, and refrain from taking actions that might lead to increased tensions."

Diplomats continued bilateral talks into the evening. The council's five permanent members — the U.S., Britain, France, China and Russia — left for a meeting with Japan.

The U.S. Britain, France and Japan drafted a proposal for a resolution that could be adopted by the end of the week. It is aimed at toughening existing economic sanctions by "naming and shaming" individuals and entities, council diplomats said.

Mexican Ambassador Claude Heller, the council's president, said the council would reconvene "as soon as possible" on Monday to reach consensus on what to do about North Korea.

Using a possible loophole in U.N. sanctions imposed after the 2006 nuclear test that barred the North from ballistic missile activity, the Pyongyang government claimed it was exercising its right to peaceful space development.

The U.S. said nuclear-armed North Korea clearly violated the resolution, but objections from Russia and China — the North's closest ally — will almost certainly water down any strong response. Both have Security Council veto power.

"Obviously today's action by North Korea constitutes a clear violation," said Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. "My government has called this a provocative act, and we have been in consultation today with our allies in the region and other partners on the Security Council ... to work toward agreement on a strong collective action."

Yukio Takasu, Japan's ambassador to the U.N., called for a "clear, unified and firm" council resolution to back up the earlier sanctions.

"This is in direct defiance of all members of the international community," he said. "It is quite regrettable; we should condemn it."

North Korea had warned that debris might fall off Japan's northern coast when the rocket's first stage fell away, so Tokyo positioned batteries of interceptor missiles on its coast and radar-equipped ships to monitor the launch. Nary a shot was necessary.

Obama warned the launch would further isolate the reclusive nation. But U.S. officials also called for pragmatism, especially with efforts to get North Korea back to the negotiating table for the six-party talks.

While the rogue communist state has repeatedly been belligerent and threatening — as it was when it carried out an underground nuclear blast and tested ballistic missiles in recent years — Pyongyang showed increased savvy this time that may make severe punishment more complicated than ever.

Unlike its previous provocations, the North notified the international community that the launch was coming and the route the rocket would take, although critics of North Korea leader Kim Jong Il claim he really was testing a ballistic missile capable of hitting U.S. territory.

Analysts say sanctions imposed after the North's underground nuclear test in 2006 appear to have had little effect because implementation was left up to individual countries, some of which showed no will to impose them.

Kim is reportedly a big film buff and his strategy appears to have borrowed heavily from the 1959 movie "The Mouse That Roared," about a fictional poor country that declares war on the U.S., expecting to lose and get aid like the Marshall Plan that Washington used to help rebuild its World War II foes.

In a statement released just hours after the launch, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said North Korea had informed Moscow ahead of time, and Russian radars tracked it.

Russia urges "all states concerned to show restraint in judgments and action," Nesterenko said.

Despite its policy of "juche," or "self-reliance," communist North Korea is one of the world's poorest countries, has few allies and is in desperate need of outside help. The money that flowed in unconditionally from neighboring South Korea for a decade dried up when conservative President Lee Myung-bak took office in 2008.

Pyongyang has little collateral and for years has used its nuclear weapons program as its trump card, promising to abandon its atomic ambitions in exchange for aid and then dangling the nuclear threat when it doesn't get its way.

It's been an effective strategy so far, with previous missile launches drawing Washington to negotiations. The North also has reportedly been selling missile parts and technology to whoever has the cash to pay for it.

Kim wants food for his famished people, fuel and — perhaps most importantly — direct talks and relations with Washington.

Right now, the main contact is through six-nation talks aimed at getting Pyongyang to give up its nuclear weapons program.

"We must deal with North Korea as we find it, not as we would like it to be," Stephen Bosworth, the U.S. envoy on North Korea, said Friday.

Kim Keun-sik, a North Korea expert at South Korea's Kyungnam University, said the launch would chill ties between Pyongyang and Washington, but likely not for long.

"Wouldn't they eventually come to hold talks? There is no other way," Kim said.

U.S. officials also are trying to obtain the release of two American journalists recently detained by the North along its border with China. Paik Hak-soon, an analyst at the Sejong Institute think tank, predicted they would be used as bargaining chips, with the North likely "to try to link them to the nuclear and missile talks."

Iran, which also has a contentious relationship with the international community over its nuclear program and is believed to have cooperated extensively with North Korea on missile technology, defended the launch.

"North Korea, like any other country, has the right to enter space," Iran's state TV said in a commentary, adding that the "pressure on North Korea to give up its undisputable right" was "unfair and dishonest."

What I don't understand is how we aren't reporting this as "Korea fails miserably in attempting to launch a satellite, world LOL's in response"

Cuz, I mean, really. If it's true their satellite fell into a bunch of pieces into the Pacific, that is LOL fail of the year.

Wild Cobra
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I wonder if N. Korea would have done such a thing with president Bush or McCain. Naturally, it's easy to defy the world when the president of the United States is a liberal pussy.

balli
04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I wonder if N. Korea would have done such a thing with president Bush or McCain. Naturally, it's easy to defy the world when the president of the United States is a liberal pussy.
Dude, Bush left our our boys in Iraq to get got for 7 straight years.

He got America's ass beat by a bunch of back-alley militia men with lunch boxes and dynamite. Ain't nobody scared of pussy ass republicans at this point.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-05-2009, 08:41 PM

oh come on man. You can do better than that.

Wild Cobra
04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Sure I can, but their launch doesn't bother me that much anyway. We are so far ahead of them that we can stop anything they lob over at us if they succeed. I doubt this to be true, but what if their reason is legitimate? What if they really want launch a satellite themselves?

BlackSwordsMan
04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Nuke N.Korea

MannyIsGod
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM

He can?

ChumpDumper
04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I wonder if N. Korea would have done such a thing with president Bush or McCain. Naturally, it's easy to defy the world when the president of the United States is a liberal pussy.North Korea sparks crisis by launching seven missiles

Last Updated: 1:04AM BST 06 Jul 2006

North Korea this morning courted further international controversy by test-firing a seventh missile, in addition to the six missiles it launched last night.

US officials believe at least one of the missiles was a long-range ballistic rocket capable of reaching American soil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/1523148/North-Korea-sparks-crisis-by-launching-seven-missiles.html

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2009, 12:08 AM
god dammit...you totally freaked me out, I clicked on the link so fast my computer nearly froze.

I did not notice the date, lol.

But really, why isn't the story "North Korea fails miserably at launching satellite, world LOL's" This is exactly the type of news story that we should all come together at, and have a big hearty laugh. Obama could deliver a savvy soundbyte, scoffing the shit out of the koreans, and parlay that into more popularity.

I mean, you can attack this from so many different LOL-worthy angles. But instead, we're freaking out because a country spent millions of dollars crashing a satellite into the pacific ocean.
Am I the only one who laughed at this?

ChumpDumper
04-06-2009, 12:30 AM
True, the world would do well to put a full Nelson on North Korea.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/nelson-muntz.gif

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Lol

Cry Havoc
04-06-2009, 12:47 AM

North Korea sparks crisis by launching seven missiles

North Korea this morning courted further international controversy by test-firing a seventh missile, in addition to the six missiles it launched last night.

US officials believe at least one of the missiles was a long-range ballistic rocket capable of reaching American soil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/1523148/North-Korea-sparks-crisis-by-launching-seven-missiles.html

The extent of your ignorance, and thereby way of getting completely owned in a forum, is becoming more and more apparent. Please keep bandying about when you are clearly in absence of knowledge. :toast

Rogue
04-06-2009, 05:50 AM
I wonder why those idiotic bastards keep struggling to run towards the asses of those developed countries, ignoring the poverty and starvation that their citizens are suffereing. Launching a satellite or sending a human into the space means nothing if the country still hasn't given its citizens the God-given human rights for acquiring medicare when being sick, oppositely it just reflects the hypocrisy and tyrany of it.

It is an absolute bad thing for N.Korea to launch that rocket, even if that was actually a pure scientific exploration without any military intent or political issue.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 06:30 AM

North Korea fired several missles on the 4th of July a couple of years ago. Way to kill your credibility by making ignorant rhetorical statements.

DarkReign
04-06-2009, 09:03 AM
What I dont understand, is why Russia and China choose to defend N.Korea?

Im not ignorant to the fact that N.Korea basically owes its existence to the "filthy reds" and I am sure there is a lingering (if not strong) alliance present, but...

Mother Russia fell. China is the new communist benchmark and last time I checked, China doesnt make it a habit to starve its own people.

Just seems an odd bed-fellow for the two regional powers. Unless of course they enjoy making the UN squirm, which is what this whole situation seems to be.

But getting your kicks with the risk of that crazy SOB armed with a button and a grudge against Japan? Do they realize what happens if he actually strikes Japan's homeland in any way, shape or form? The USA is bound by treaty to protect Japan from foreign attack.

Just seems a strange game of Russian Roulette to play so actively.

Rogue
04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
What I dont understand, is why Russia and China choose to defend N.Korea?

Im not ignorant to the fact that N.Korea basically owes its existence to the "filthy reds" and I am sure there is a lingering (if not strong) alliance present, but...

Mother Russia fell. China is the new communist benchmark and last time I checked, China doesnt make it a habit to starve its own people.

Just seems an odd bed-fellow for the two regional powers. Unless of course they enjoy making the UN squirm, which is what this whole situation seems to be.

But getting your kicks with the risk of that crazy SOB armed with a button and a grudge against Japan? Do they realize what happens if he actually strikes Japan's homeland in any way, shape or form? The USA is bound by treaty to protect Japan from foreign attack.

I don't think the relationship between us and japan is that sweet as it appears. There is no real friendship in politics, today's friend may very probably kick your ass someday in future, only if it can get more benefit from kicking your ass than being friend with you. I think the japanese people are still holding great hatred against us but they just hind it in their mind, the us would be their first target to fuck with if they got that power. russia/china use N.K. as the fence of their houses while the us also treats the japan just as a pawn to prevent them from expanding their affaction to the Pacific Ocean. I think us would rather to let N.K. have nuclear weapon than japan, though japan is a very "loyal" ally with us.

politics is more complicated than whatever we can imagine so the politicians consist of only the smartest people, espeically the international politics. Hillary Cliton is obviously not capable enough to work as SOS, that's why I have been ranting that Obama should have given this job to Halle Berry who is the smartest woman of the world.

The Reckoning
04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't think the relationship between us and japan is that sweet as it appears.

Ambassador Hello Kitty is plotting to destroy the world.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2009, 10:19 AM
North Korea is fucked if they attack Japan, because they'll unleash Godzilla, King Ghidorah, and Mothra to tear pyongyang to shreds.

DarkReign
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think the relationship between us and japan is that sweet as it appears. There is no real friendship in politics, today's

Hillary Cliton is obviously not capable enough to work as SOS, that's why I have been ranting that Obama should have given this job to Halle Berry who is the smartest woman of the world.

While what you say *could* be true (that Japan harbors some uber-secret hatred of the US), that would not change the fact that we have a treaty with Japan as its Protector from foreign invasion.

In trade, the Japanese will not finance a military for anything other than self-defense.

LnGrrrR
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM

I think you're right on the money with that guess.

Here's the thing though... say he uses a bomb or something, and goes to war with the US. China and Russia have made no promise to defend N Korea. So they're in the clear.

It's a way to mess with the US/UN without DIRECTLY doing so, a 'proxy' war.

Blake
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM

I wonder if terrorists would ever try to attack the U.S. with President Bush in office.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM

You have to give it to Cobra, his is a resilient kind of stupidity. People keep making a fool of him and yet, he keeps on posting as if his credibility has taken no hit what so ever. Dude is weird.

Blake
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM

that's punny.

I imagine that there are some economic ties they don't want to damage.

same reason the French were upset when the US invaded Iraq....

funny how the French are now all gung ho about us taking down N Korea

RandomGuy
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wild Cobra

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-missiles.html

http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/ownedballs.jpg

Wild Cobra
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
North Korea fired several missles on the 4th of July a couple of years ago. Way to kill your credibility by making ignorant rhetorical statements.
If you say so. There's a big difference from a missile that can go, what was it? 1200 miles, vs. one that can hit anywhere on the earth.

Sorry I didn't specify the difference before. I didn't know you would be ignorant of the difference.

Blake
04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
If you say so. There's a big difference from a missile that can go, what was it? 1200 miles, vs. one that can hit anywhere on the earth.

Sorry I didn't specify the difference before. I didn't know you would be ignorant of the difference.

I must have missed where you posted the difference....

please explain again what the difference is.

ftr, the missile had an approximate range of 6700 km which equals approx 4200 miles.

RandomGuy
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Dude, when you try to weasel out of shit like this, it makes you look so much worse than admitting you were wrong in the first place.

You do this everytime someone nails you for something stupid you say here.

"But, but, but..."

Man up, admit you fucked up and drive on.

xeromass
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
What about a fucking nuclear test they did in 2006?

In my book nuclear test > satellite launch

Wild Cobra
04-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Dude, when you try to weasel out of shit like this, it makes you look so much worse than admitting you were wrong in the first place.

You do this everytime someone nails you for something stupid you say here.

"But, but, but..."

Man up, admit you fucked up and drive on.
Our opinions differ. Not weaseling out of anything.

How did I fuck up? By not caring about either launch? By understanding that the two have different ranges? By thinking from a strategic point, that the different range can have different results?

Blake
04-06-2009, 02:49 PM
How did I fuck up?

by logging into spurstalk and posting in this forum

clambake
04-06-2009, 02:49 PM
how much does that skank charge to fire your missle?

RandomGuy
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Our opinions differ. Not weaseling out of anything.

How did I fuck up? By not caring about either launch? By understanding that the two have different ranges? By thinking from a strategic point, that the different range can have different results?

I wonder if N. Korea would have [launched a missle against the wishes of the US government] with president Bush or McCain. Naturally, it's easy to defy the world when the president of the United States is a liberal pussy.

Ain't nowhere in this bitch did you say fuckall about any degree of difference in the ranges. It also doesn't take into account their supposed (I tend to doubt that they actually had an atomic detonation) atomic test, either.

Its irrelevant to your point, and you fucking well know it.

"The president is a liberal pussy, there wouldn't be any way that they would do that with a REAL man in the White House like the two Republican alternatives."

The implication was clear, you can't take it back, and we all saw it.

Quit acting like a bitch and admit it.

Cry Havoc
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM

You're wrong. Man up and admit it. Sheesh.

micca
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM

I don't think they would've pressed the issue

micca
04-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Dude, Bush left our our boys in Iraq to get got for 7 straight years.

He got America's ass beat by a bunch of back-alley militia men with lunch boxes and dynamite. Ain't nobody scared of pussy ass republicans at this point.

How do you figure America got it's ass beat?

ChumpDumper
04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't think they would've pressed the issueThey would have done the exact same thing. Bush or McCain's response would have been the same.

RandomGuy
04-08-2009, 09:02 AM
They would have done the exact same thing. Bush or McCain's response would have been the same.

Pretty much.

Our policy on such things is remarkably stable between administrations.

Personally, I would absolutely LOVE for us to pull out of the Korean penninsula altogether.

It is a huge waste of resources. The North Koreans ceased being relevant to our interests about a decade ago. Let them have their hermit kingdom, and make them a problem for China to deal with, rather than a convenient buffer.

RandomGuy
04-12-2009, 01:54 PM
(deleted, not trying to rub it in for WC)

sabar
04-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't think the relationship between us and japan is that sweet as it appears. There is no real friendship in politics, today's friend may very probably kick your ass someday in future, only if it can get more benefit from kicking your ass than being friend with you. I think the japanese people are still holding great hatred against us but they just hind it in their mind, the us would be their first target to fuck with if they got that power. russia/china use N.K. as the fence of their houses while the us also treats the japan just as a pawn to prevent them from expanding their affaction to the Pacific Ocean. I think us would rather to let N.K. have nuclear weapon than japan, though japan is a very "loyal" ally with us.

politics is more complicated than whatever we can imagine so the politicians consist of only the smartest people, espeically the international politics. Hillary Cliton is obviously not capable enough to work as SOS, that's why I have been ranting that Obama should have given this job to Halle Berry who is the smartest woman of the world.

The generation of japanese and americans that hated each other are all pretty much dead. We have one of the closes alliances of any two nations nowadays.

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 09:40 AM
The generation of japanese and americans that hated each other are all pretty much dead. We have one of the closes alliances of any two nations nowadays.

...that was always my assumption, but it was assumed nonetheless.

Cry Havoc
04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
...that was always my assumption, but it was assumed nonetheless.

They had better love us. We buy all their cars.

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
They had better love us. We buy all their cars.

:lmao

Sooooo fucking true. All you southerners and west coast sell-outs, really.

Cry Havoc
04-13-2009, 02:53 PM

Sooooo fucking true. All you southerners and west coast sell-outs, really.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/whisperingstorm/The%20Pony%20Car/Stangground2.jpg

I'm sorry, you were saying?

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry, you were saying?

...well, not a whole-fucking-lot since you showed up...

Must be nice to live somewhere where a convertible actually makes sense.

Cry Havoc
04-13-2009, 03:33 PM
...well, not a whole-fucking-lot since you showed up...

Must be nice to live somewhere where a convertible actually makes sense.

:convertib

:p:

:perv:

Suck it, Trebek.

DarkReign
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
:convertib

:p:

:perv:

Suck it, Trebek.

What year is that, btw? Looks like a 2006-ish, maybe?

Im terrible at this sort of stuff, so bear with me.

But I gotta know...6 or 8?

Cry Havoc
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
What year is that, btw? Looks like a 2006-ish, maybe?

Im terrible at this sort of stuff, so bear with me.

But I gotta know...6 or 8?

That is a 4.6L 2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible with a 4/11 rear end.

A clearer photograph:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v116/whisperingstorm/The%20Pony%20Car/Ponyness2.jpg