PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Popovich Reacts As Always, By Guessing

duncan228
04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Popovich reacts as always, by guessing (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_reacts_as_always_by_guessing.html)
Buck Harvey

CLEVELAND — Gregg Popovich emerged from the locker room Sunday with Post-Game Speech No. 7.

(No. 7 is when he jokes about how awful the opponent is before praising the opponent.)

That's Popovich. He changes the mood depending upon what he thinks is necessary. He does this with his players, too, and they say he was as relaxed with them after losing by 20 points to the Cavaliers.

This kind of calculating behavior has been effective over the years. That, and his four titles, helps create the perception that Popovich always knows what he is doing and why.

When he's guessing.

Popovich likely felt anything but relaxed when he went into the locker room Sunday. Manu Ginobili's leg was still sore from Friday's game, and the Cavaliers were coming off their worst loss of the season.

Given that LeBron James would be pepped up at home for ABC, the Spurs would have been pressed to stay close. When they were within a point after the first quarter, a television sideline reporter asked Popovich what the Spurs had to do next.

“We have to be as good as the Lakers,” Popovich said, “and we're not.”

Popovich was determined not to turn Cleveland into a defining moment. He didn't want his guys to get too down, especially since losing to a team that is now 37-1 at home is not shocking.

Mike Brown always loved this about Popovich. When working for him, Brown saw the changing emotions and how Popovich seemed to know what his team needed.

That's why Brown believes, still, in these Spurs. “You can tell they are still figuring a few things out,” he said of them. “But I think they're going to be fine.”

But Brown is a Popovich loyalist, and he also remembers the championships. He's not as aware of the cracks now.

Brown doesn't see the changing lineups and current shooting slump. He doesn't know about Ginobili's leg, or the extent of the pain in Tim Duncan's knees. He also doesn't know how turning away from Bruce Bowen has changed the nature of the Spurs.

Popovich sees it all, and he did two years ago when the Cavaliers also swept the Spurs in the regular season. Then, too, there was clearly a better team in the West. Then it was Dallas.

So he reacts as he did then, when the Spurs won their last title. He huddles with his staff and he guesses.

One experiment has been especially baffling. Exactly why did Popovich bench George Hill for Jacque Vaughn?

The difference, this time, is that the shuffling is still going on as the season comes to an end. Several veterans said it Sunday; the Spurs had never had such flux so late.

The other day Popovich was asked about his rotations, and he shook his head. “I'm still all over the map,” he said, and he laughed.

So do you have a timetable?

“If I do, I better gear it up pretty quick. We don't have many games left. We are going to do it by the seat of our pants this year. We will try to see if we can have it the way we want it by the time the first-round game comes.”

Sunday offered yet another possible path. When Drew Gooden was the Spurs' second-leading scorer, effective in 27 minutes, does that mean he deserves more time in the playoffs?

Popovich and his assistants will talk about this, and they will come up with a direction. But Popovich won't know what he is doing, exactly, or even why. It will be because it seems right at that moment.

The next moment will be Tuesday. And if the Spurs lose to the Thunder again, Popovich will emerge with Post-Game Speech No. 2.

(No. 2 is not as nice as No. 7.)

SA210
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Start Bruce!

ElNono
04-05-2009, 10:43 PM
What's this thing about Ginobili's leg? I just read a post by Manu after the game and he didn't say anything about that.

04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
popovich should be lighting a fire under the spurs' collective asses.

timvp
04-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Buck Harvey with his patented SpursTalk recap.

Manu Ginobili's leg was still sore from Friday's game:shootme :depressed

GSH
04-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Popovich likely felt anything but relaxed when he went into the locker room Sunday. Manu Ginobili's leg was still sore from Friday's game, and the Cavaliers were coming off their worst loss of the season.

Weeelllll shit! I sort of backed away and took a few deep breaths after that last loss to OKC, so I hadn't heard about this. If Manu is in enough pain to have it discussed in an article like this, we're probably fucked for the post-season.

Whatever happens for the rest of this season, I hope he takes rest seriously this off-season, and can come back strong like he was right before the All-Star break this year.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Simple....

Starters: TP, Mason, Bowen, TD, Thomas.

Bench: Manu, Finley, Hill, Gooden.

That makes a rotation of 9 players. If you wanna add 1 more big its either shooter Matt Bonner or defensive big-man Fab. At this point I would go with Fab because Bonner has completely dissapeared.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
wait, ginobili's leg is sore? wtf is he playing?

DPG21920
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I said this in the game thread. I kept asking if Manu was hurt. Pop was not playing him and it was odd.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM

:shootme :depressed

Buck Harvey always seems to put little things in articles to spice them up a bit though. If Manu was seriously hurting we wouldve heard a post-game quote from him and Pop about it.

ElNono
04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't get it. If Pop knew the leg was sore Friday why play him for 36 minutes, or play him at all today? Sure as hell his leg had nothing to do with chucking treys, but I digress...

crc21209
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't get it. If Pop knew the leg was sore Friday why play him for 36 minutes, or play him at all today? Sure as hell his leg had nothing to do with chucking treys, but I digress...

Soreness is fine, if it starts hurting him to a point where he cant do anything then we'd be in trouble. Like I said, if it was extremely serious we would of heard something from Manu and or Pop about it in the post-game comments.

duncan228
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't like any of it. :(

Manu Ginobili's leg was still sore from Friday's game...

...the extent of the pain in Tim Duncan's knees.

MannyIsGod
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Man thats one of the more obvious ST remixes from Havey of all time. And Manu is ALWAYS hurt. Why is anyone suprised? I'm serious - ALWAYS.

It is noteable when Manu is healthy, not when he's hurt.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Why is his leg sore, I thought it was his ankle that kept him out the last time?

That was pretty depressing to read though, I don't know if Timmy will be able to step it up with his sore knees come PO time.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
People are reading too much into it I think. It's not like he said Manu's ankle that sidelined him for a long time is hurting. He just said his leg is sore. If it was anything MAJOR, him and Pop wouldve said something about it.

Pablo Escobar
04-05-2009, 10:55 PM
what wonder what number is his first round exit speech

ElNono
04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
This is what Manu posted after today's game:
"Ouch! Linda paliza. Hoy por hoy estan mejor que nosotros, espero que más adelante no. Noche inspirada de los Cavs y opaca para nosotros. Hay que cambiar el rumbo... Hasta más tarde."
(Ouch! What a beatdown! Today they're better than us, I hope later down the road they're not. The Cavs had an inspired game and our gameplay was dull.We need to right the ship...Later)

This is what he posted after Friday's game:
"Ufff! Menos mal! En un momento se complicó pero al final la remamos y terminamos bien. Partido interesante. Al terminar, nos fuimos de nuevo con Rasho, Fabri y otro amigo a comer y a tomar algo tranqui para ponernos al día. Hacía mucho rato que no lo veíamos. Mañana al mediodía salimos para Cleveland."
(Ufff! Good thing we won! For a moment there it got complicated but at the end of the game we pulled together and finished well. Interesting game. When it ended, we went out again with Rasho, Fabricio and another friend for food and drinks so we could catch up a bit. It's been a long while since we've seen eachtoher. We're leaving for Cleveland tomorrow noon.)

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-05-2009, 10:57 PM
People are reading too much into it I think. It's not like he said Manu's ankle that sidelined him for a long time is hurting. He just said his leg is sore. If it was anything MAJOR, him and Pop wouldve said something about it.

Well I don't have any knowledge when it come to Manu's injury but isn't it a bad thing if he is still sore? Or is that just because he is still getting back in game shape.

timvp
04-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Why is his leg sore, I thought it was his ankle that kept him out the last time?
The stress reaction was about two inches above the ankle. So technically it wasn't really an ankle injury.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
The stress reaction was about two inches above the ankle. So technically it wasn't really an ankle injury.

Oh ok I was unaware of that, thank you for clearing that up.

1Parker1
04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Man thats one of the more obvious ST remixes from Havey of all time. And Manu is ALWAYS hurt. Why is anyone suprised? I'm serious - ALWAYS.

:lol I actually agree 100% with the above statements. This article is like classic, Spurstalk chatter. And I can't remember the last time Manu was 100% healthy, or even 90%....which is kind of sad now that I think about it.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 11:00 PM
This is what Manu posted after today's game:
"Ouch! Linda paliza. Hoy por hoy estan mejor que nosotros, espero que más adelante no. Noche inspirada de los Cavs y opaca para nosotros. Hay que cambiar el rumbo... Hasta más tarde."
(Ouch! What a beatdown! Today they're better than us, I hope later down the road they're not. The Cavs had an inspired game and our gameplay was dull.We need to right the ship...Later)

This is what he posted after Friday's game:
"Ufff! Menos mal! En un momento se complicó pero al final la remamos y terminamos bien. Partido interesante. Al terminar, nos fuimos de nuevo con Rasho, Fabri y otro amigo a comer y a tomar algo tranqui para ponernos al día. Hacía mucho rato que no lo veíamos. Mañana al mediodía salimos para Cleveland."
(Ufff! Good thing we won! For a moment there it got complicated but at the end of the game we pulled together and finished well. Interesting game. When it ended, we went out again with Rasho, Fabricio and another friend for food and drinks so we could catch up a bit. It's been a long while since we've seen eachtoher. We're leaving for Cleveland tomorrow noon.)

Answers my question. If Manu was really hurting to a serious point...he would put something like "Not feeling healthy after today, or my leg is very sore but I'll be fine" or something along those lines.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Answers my question. If Manu was really hurting to a serious point...he would put something like "Not feeling healthy after today, or my leg is very sore but I'll be fine" or something along those lines.

Well hopefully you are right.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-05-2009, 11:02 PM

Beat me to it! :lol

That article is basically a summary of the last month on ST.

timvp
04-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Answers my question. If Manu was really hurting to a serious point...he would put something like "Not feeling healthy after today, or my leg is very sore but I'll be fine" or something along those lines.It took weeks for Manu to acknowledge is last injury. And this close to the playoffs, the Spurs are going to be extra secretive about injuries. No reason to give the first round opponent free scouting tips.

xtremesteven33
04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
If Manu is favoring his leg then i think you need to let him start with TP and TD.

I dont think he can handle the heavy load of the offense off the bench if hes not 100%...especially in the playoffs.

DPG21920
04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
I just rolled my ankle playing ball too! But I will be ok for next game, do not worry.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 11:05 PM
It took weeks for Manu to acknowledge is last injury. And this close to the playoffs, the Spurs are going to be extra secretive about injuries. No reason to give the first round opponent free scouting tips.

Then why would Buck Harvey mention his leg being sore from Friday? Being sore after a game is fine to me. Especially after you havent played for a couple months. Hell we normal people are sore from 1 day of working out. :lol He's just getting back into his groove so soreness is probably normal/ok. He looked fine out there movement wise, he just bricked alot of 3's today. The one drive he had today, he made.

ElNono
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. I'd like to hear a little more from either Manu or Pop about what's this about. Maybe it's just sore from playing extended minutes last friday?

ElNono
Hate to say it and I hope im wrong but I dont think Manu will be a Spur next year.

Why not? He's under contract.

xtremesteven33
04-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Then why would Buck Harvey mention his leg being sore from Friday? Being sore after a game is fine to me. Especially after you havent played for a couple months. Hell we normal people are sore from 1 day of working out. :lol He's just getting back into his groove so soreness is probably normal/ok. He looked fine out there movement wise, he just bricked alot of 3's today. The one drive he had today, he made.

yea it makes sense....he played like 36 minutes on Friday nite....hes not used to playing that this soon.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
yea it makes sense....he played like 36 minutes on Friday nite....hes not used to playing that this soon.

That was the first game he played that many mins in since he's been back so I think some soreness/tiredness is probably normal/ok. There is a difference between being sore and being hurt.

xtremesteven33
04-05-2009, 11:09 PM
That was the first game he played that many mins in since he's been back so I think some soreness/tiredness is probably normal/ok. There is a difference between being sore and being hurt.

:tu

duncan228
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
It took weeks for Manu to acknowledge is last injury. And this close to the playoffs, the Spurs are going to be extra secretive about injuries. No reason to give the first round opponent free scouting tips.

The Spurs always keep things close. We didn't know about Duncan's Planter Fasciitis for a couple of months (maybe more?) in the '05-'06 season.

Spursmania
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I hope it's just soreness. this team has had it's score of bad luck already. I was surprised though that Manu played so many minutes in Friday's game.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I hope it's just soreness. this team has had it's score of bad luck already. I was surprised though that Manu played so many minutes in Friday's game.

Thus the soreness. Like I said there is a difference between Buck saying Manu was sore or Manu was hurting.

SequSpur
04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Buck Harvey has too much man-love for Popovich. Almost as much as Don Harris.

Manufan909
04-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I wonder if Pop'll listen to ST via Buck.

crc21209
04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I wonder if Pop'll listen to ST via Buck.

If it meant starting Bowen and playing Hill over Vaughn, then hell yeah I hope so.

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
spurs just need to bench manu if he is not healthy
mason was fine without manu
mason has struggled with manu back
if no manu mason knows he will get minutes and get back on track

when your ankles are bothering you MANU YOU DO NOT SHOT LONG THREE POINTERS
WHY YOU MISS
YOU HAVE NO STRENGTH
manu is hurting the team more then helping them by playing

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
or harvey calling pop out a little by mentioning bruce

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Hate to say it and I hope im wrong but I dont think Manu will be a Spur next year.

spurs lose in early rounds manu is gone
spurs will shake some things up

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
spurs just need to bench manu if he is not healthy
mason was fine without manu
mason has struggled with manu back
if no manu mason knows he will get minutes and get back on track

when your ankles are bothering you MANU YOU DO NOT SHOT LONG THREE POINTERS
WHY YOU MISS
YOU HAVE NO STRENGTH
manu is hurting the team more then helping them by playing

Mason was struggling before Manu came back. You just love to hate.
I was just waiting for you to cling on this article and start spreading the hateorade.
Fact is Manu didn't have a good game and is still getting his conditioning. Nothing more, nothing else.

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
spurs lose in early rounds manu is gone
spurs will shake some things up

Wanna bet he'll be a Spur next year, no matter what we do in the playoffs?

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:48 PM
If Manu is favoring his leg then i think you need to let him start with TP and TD.

I dont think he can handle the heavy load of the offense off the bench if hes not 100%...especially in the playoffs.

if he is favoring his leg you do not play him
and you trade him for what you can in the offseason

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
40% manu does not help the spurs on the court at all

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:50 PM
if he is favoring his leg you do not play him
and you trade him for what you can in the offseason

Duncan knees are hurting, do we trade him in the offseason too? Let's trade everybody but Tony!

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Mason was struggling before Manu came back. You just love to hate.
I was just waiting for you to cling on this article and start spreading the hateorade.
Fact is Manu didn't have a good game and is still getting his conditioning. Nothing more, nothing else.

mason was struggling due to playing point guard more then anything

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:51 PM
40% manu does not help the spurs on the court at all

40% Duncan does not help the Spurs either. But that's what we have and what we're going to have to roll with.

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Duncan knees are hurting, do we trade him in the offseason too? Let's trade everybody but Tony!

duncan knees are hurting because a guy that gets paid almost 10 million could not play half the season and he and tp had to carry the load

had spurs had another player making the same amount money and avering 15 points a game
duncan knees would be ok

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM

And what does Manu haws to do with that? Manu is not a PG. It's Pop that didn't trust Hill and moved Mason to the point. Manu has ZERO to do with it.
But you'll just hate anyways...

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
40% Duncan does not help the Spurs either. But that's what we have and what we're going to have to roll with.

duncan is more then that
duncan gets space when people make the threes are drives
when manu does nothing he can not get the ball

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:54 PM
And what does Manu haws to do with that? Manu is not a PG. It's Pop that didn't trust Hill and moved Mason to the point. Manu has ZERO to do with it.
But you'll just hate anyways...

yes I hate when spurs lose

it begs me
pop has to consistently give mason 30 minutes a game
spurs should have spanked the cavs today

ElNono
duncan knees are hurting because a guy that gets paid almost 10 million could not play half the season and he and tp had to carry the load

had spurs had another player making the same amount money and avering 15 points a game
duncan knees would be ok

Not true. Duncan has averaged the EXACT same amount of minutes this season than the past 5 seasons. Please come up with a better excuse.

ducks
Not true. Duncan has averaged the EXACT same amount of minutes this season than the past 5 seasons. Please come up with a better excuse.

more shots
more double teams:bang:bang:bang:bang

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:56 PM
yes I hate when spurs lose

it begs me
pop has to consistently give mason 30 minutes a game
spurs should have spanked the cavs today

Not true. Mason could not hit a shot until the second half. We were just off today, against a team that's playing very well and was extra motivated.
And TD didn't score a point in the second nor third quarter.
But let's just pile it up on Manu, since he had a bad shooting night... :rolleyes

ElNono
04-05-2009, 11:57 PM
duncan is more then that
duncan gets space when people make the threes are drives
when manu does nothing he can not get the ball

And what do we do when Tony doesn't want to drive. Like against the Hornets or the Lakers? Do we sit him now and trade him in the offseason?

Manufan909
04-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Wow, you just fucked yourself there. The PG debacle is ALL Pop's fault.:ihit

ducks
04-05-2009, 11:58 PM
tp does not keep shooting threes when missing

tp had a decent game against hornets last game

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
more shots
more double teams:bang:bang:bang:bang

Listen, I don't like it any more than you do when Manu doesn't drive. But I also don't see Pop telling him 'drive, drive'. I actually see Pop fielding 3 point shooters like there's no tomorrow and begging them to shoot more.
Your entire Manu hate gets old quick. We need all of Manu, Tony and Timmy to try to get anywhere. Tony and Timmy and <whoever else> is not enough.
Get it through your thick head already.

DPG21920
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM

Listen, I don't like it any more than you do when Manu doesn't drive. But I also don't see Pop telling him 'drive, drive'. I actually see Pop fielding 3 point shooters like there's no tomorrow and begging them to shoot more.
Your entire Manu hate gets old quick. We need all of Manu, Tony and Timmy to try to get anywhere. Tony and Timmy and <whoever else> is not enough.
Get it through your thick head already.

http://solarider.org/my-pics/merry-go-round-16-12-2005.jpg

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:06 AM
http://solarider.org/my-pics/merry-go-round-16-12-2005.jpg

:lol

Hell yes he's gonna hear it from me whenever he keeps on hating like that.
It's embarrassing this guy calls himself a Spurs fan.

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM
manu seeing doctor because he played lots of minutes against paces

pop idiot playing manu more then 30 minutes

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM

TP misses free throws that have costed us a game. Have you seen any REAL Spurs fan asking him to be sat down and traded in the offseason?
Right, now please STFU and stop the hate.

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:09 AM
tp has not cost the spurs any games this year
he has played bad games

the 4 free throws he missed had mike made his spurs would have won

ElNono

Wow, you already made up this whole scene in your mind, didn't you?
What doctor? Where's the report he saw any doctor?
He said he went out for food and drinks after the game...
But you know better... :rolleyes

ducks
see the other thread

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
tp has not cost the spurs any games this year
he has played bad games

the 4 free throws he missed had he made 2 his spurs would have won

fify

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow, you already made up this whole scene in your mind, didn't you?
What doctor? Where's the report he saw any doctor?
He said he went out for food and drinks after the game...
But you know better... :rolleyes

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121862

maybe you should read before you roll your homer manu eyes on me!

DPG21920
04-06-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.spanish-living.com/images/Dog%20and%20rabbit.jpg

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121862

maybe you should read before you roll your homer manu eyes on me!

He went to see the doctors today, not after the indiana game. Let me repost what you said:

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:14 AM
he went to the doctor because manu said he played lots of minutes against pacers
today he sucked so bad he got pulled

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:16 AM
“I played a lot of minutes (Friday) in Indiana

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2009, 12:16 AM
And Manu is ALWAYS hurt. Why is anyone suprised? I'm serious - ALWAYS.

mookie would be proud

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
he went to the doctor because manu said he played lots of minutes against pacers
today he sucked so bad he got pulled

He didn't play well today. Is that a reason to be happy/want to bench him for the rest of the season?

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
“I played a lot of minutes (Friday) in Indiana

I saw that... I saw that... :toast

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:18 AM

damm
now you are going to be hater:downspin:

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:23 AM
damm
now you are going to be hater:downspin:

He's actually fairly correct as far as this season is concerned...
Now, he didn't come with silly takes like if Mason replaces Manu we can beat the Cavs or some such nonsense like that.

ducks
04-06-2009, 12:30 AM
spurs had mason instead of manu against lakers and mason was playing great like he did early spurs would have won it all last year
but manu was hurt!

ElNono
04-06-2009, 12:36 AM
spurs had mason instead of manu against lakers and mason was playing great like he did early spurs would have won it all last year
but manu was hurt!

But Mason is playing like shit right now, and we already agreed that Manu has nothing to do with it. I certainly hope Mason can regain his confidence, but the reality is that you simply cannot compare Mason to Manu, period. And last season we lost for a whole lot of reasons, not just Manu being hurt. Including Horry being done, couldn't rebound the ball, couldn't stop Kobe, the entire team being fairly beat up after two grueling series. I think we all agree that Manu being healthy would have been enough to offset all those problems, and that, if anything, is a testament of how good Manu is.
So I definitely don't buy for a second that if you switch Mason with Manu we automatically win. As a matter of fact, as well as Manu played in the first two series, I doubt we get to the WCF at all.

slayermin
04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
Losing sucks but dropping to the 4th seed and possibly playing the Lakers in the semis doesn't sound too bad to me. Blessing in disguise? None of it will matter if Manu is done for the season though.