PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts from Cavs/Spurs game - Live perspective

SenorSpur
04-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Well it's that time again. Just got back from my annual Spurs road game pilgramage. Stumbled into Cleveland on the very day of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. More on that later.

Never been to Cleveland before, unless an airport, pass-through, on my way somewhere else counts.

On the environment:

Great environment for basketball. The "Q" Arena is located downtown, next door to Jacobs Field. Close proximity and walking distance to just about everything. Very convenient and very good sports atmosphere. More of an east coast feel, than midwest. It's hard to believe that once upon a time, the Cavs played their home games in nearby Richfield, Ohio. Meaning visiting players flew into Cleveland, then had to take a 30-minute bus ride South to the Richfield arena. Oh well, that was another time and another ownership regime.

From walking through the streets, it's obvious that Cavsmania has infiltrated the surrounding area shops, bars, and restaurants. Patrons are very loyal and very knowledgeable. From my conversations with many locals, Cleveland is STILL a football first, baseball second, sports town. This, despite the Cavs being in position to win their very first NBA title.

A surprising smattering of Spurs faithful walking through the concourse. I acknowledged some and high-fived others. Always great to see the faithful in a foreign arena.

6 retired Cavs jerseys hanging from the Rafters:

Bingo Smith
Austin Carr
Nate Thurmond
Mark Price
Larry Nance
Brad Daugherty

Game presentation featured hot flames shooting out of these little pilot lights at each of the top corner of the Jumbotron. Despite the flames shooting up toward the rafters, it was so hot you could actually feel the heat from where you're sitting. There were the trademark Cavalier swords that adorned each corner of the Jumbotron, as well.

Despite the usual shennanigans of the typical NBA pregame action, the scene in the Q stops downs when Lebron does his trademark "talcum powder-in-the-air" routine right before tipoff. It's even shown on the jumbotron. Really sends the crowd into a frenzy.

Surprisingly, the PA announcer wasn't over-the-top, but the in-game host was. The love affair between the players and the fans was highlighted by way of several personal messages that were featured on the jumbotron during timeouts. These were either verbal or written messages with a picture underneath, from a random Cavs player, and even one from Coach Mike Brown, to all the fans, thanking them for their continued support. Nice touch.

Caught a glimpse of Danny Ferry walking around courtside, shaking hands and waving. He's seemed more politician than GM, but he's done a fine job there and should be commended.

LeBron's Mom, girlfriend and others sit courtside, down on the baseline. His Mom handed out these orange, minature basketballs to the kids in the area. From what I'm told, she does this in the 4th quarter of each game.

As one might expect. LeBron is already an icon in these parts. Much beloved. Well worshipped. Well deserved. As a side note, I personally, can't see him leaving the Cleveland area. He's just so heavily invested in that community and you get the sense that he takes pride in being from the area. It's defintely a two-way love affair. I could be wrong, but my safe bet is that he stays put.

On the game:

Cavs:
After having "witnessed" his greatness firsthand, I'm now convinced. Lebron James has now assumed the mantle of MVP. I give the edge to Bron because of his impact on all areas of the games - particularly his teammates. He has the single biggest impact on the game than any other player in the NBA. His 26 points at the half were not the only testament to that. In the 2nd half, the way that he commited toward finding open teammates for instant offense and the way he continously kept attacking the Spurs defense. Whoever the Spurs put on him, was vritually rendered helpless.

However, the biggest leap in his game, in my opinion, is on the defensive side. The way he commits to on-the-ball defense, going for steals, blocks. No longer is he the lazy defender that we saw in years past. I credit that to the summer work that he put in with the Coach K and the U.S. Olympic team.

Mo Williams, Delonte West and Joe Smith have really upgraded the talent pool on this team. They hardly even missed Anderson Varejo and Ben Wallace, who were both inactive. As good of a team as the Cavs have, coach Brown still finds minutes for rookies, J.J. Hickson and Darrell Jackson, who started in place of Ben Wallace. Hint to Coach Pop: it can be done on the fly.

Now that LBJ has a wonderful supporting cast around him, the could be the year the Cavs get back to the NBA Finals - maybe even win the whole thing. They look primed, poised and ready. However make no mistake, the Cavs success starts and ends with King James.

Interesting stat line I picked up while there. Only 2 players, in NBA history, have ever amassed 20,000 points, 5000 rebs, 6000 assists. Oscar Robertson, Jerry West. At 24 years old, LeBron is already halfway there in all 3 categories.

Spurs:

Duncan really looks about 60% of his usual self. It's painful to watch him be reduced to mere mortal player status.

Ginobili was terrible from the perimeter, but kept gunning. He wasn't laboring or anything, just doesn't look comfortable and he looks like he's trying to find his rhythm.

Parker was his usual scintilating self. He wowed the locals with his dazzling array of quickness, moves and jump shots.

Much like the road game I attended in Dallas, the crowd gasped, cursed and agonized every time either Mason or Bonner was left alone for a wide open 3. Obviously, their reps preceeds them.

Gooden was fantastic on the offensive end. Seems like he had a point to prove. He's still struggling defensively. Yet, if Pop is going to keep forcing minutes down Finley's throat, despite his defensive liabilities, it may be worth him giving Gooden more consistent minutes.

Speaking of Finley, he was grossly overmatched defensively. LeBron really went to work on him early. It was really painful to watch him get literally abused. Based upon some comments I heard around me, I even think some of the faithful felt sorry for Finley. In Finley's defense, if wasn't necessarily his bad defense each time. Lebron was just getting what he wanted, when he wanted it. On the other side, Fin was streaky offensively.

Vaughn may be efficient, but he looked overmatched, even during garbage time. How the hell is that possible?

What else can be said that hasn't been said already. One year later, the Spurs still suffer the same tremendous scoring droughts. Yet compounding matters is now they can't defend well enough to stop the bleeding. The Spurs just appear to have too many players that are, either injured or, either at or near the end of their line to make an impact. Playing against a superior opponent, that can score so easily, makes this fact very evident. Had the Cavs made a good portion of wide open looks they missed in 3rd quarter, the deficit could've been much worse.

Side note:
For those who are big music fans, the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame is a must see attraction. Good trip overall.

Trainwreck2100
04-06-2009, 04:09 AM
congrats on not getting shot

Pentagruel
04-06-2009, 04:14 AM
Good thoughts Senor. I always like to hear some live perspective. I appreciate the post.

I live in Jersey now so I haven't been able to watch the Spurs in a little while firsthand. Next year I plan to attend some games at the Izod and MSG but in the meantime I enjoy the live recaps people have been posting. Thanks again.

Ciao,
Pentagruel.

P.S. Dang I drank too much again.

timvp
04-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice writeup, SenorSpur :tu

Summers
04-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Glad you got to go! Thanks for the report. :)

phxspurfan
04-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Sweet writeup, man. Thanks for the perspective. I would do this about a Suns game but no one would care about them now :P

And let's just say there's a lot of angry yelling at Suns games.

Bukefal
04-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Nice post senorspur!! Any photos you made??

duncan228
04-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks SenorSpur. Love the first-hand experience. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

SenorSpur
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice post senorspur!! Any photos you made??

I should have but, unfortunately, I didn't.

tlongII
04-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Not one bitch about the refs from a Spurs fan? Refreshing...

Yuixafun
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Appreciate the perspective.

How many of you have ever grown long hair?

There comes a point when it's in the in between phase, where you can't style it the way you used to and look good (some days it's there with effort but still messy), and it's not long enough to do anything with consistently.. so most of the time you just put a hat over your head and wait for more growth.

Eventually it's worth because you have a different and more versatile look that stands apart, but for a while you have to suffer many a bad hair day.

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the recap;

Side note:
For those who are big music fans, the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame is a must see attraction. Good trip overall.

I'd love to be there

Brazil
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Nice Senor ! thanks for sharing

Morg1411
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Not one bitch about the refs from a Spurs fan? Refreshing...

The officiating was iffy on both ends. It would be unfair to bitch about any calls that went for the Cavs considering some of the shit that the Spurs got away with. :lol