PDA

View Full Version : My 5 questions for Pop

llamediocrity
04-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I figured this has been done, but I just wanted to voice my own opinion as a newbie. I'm getting sick of Pop.

As no one in the media will ever criticize him, and everyone at the Express News is scared *curse word* of him - it will only take a Spurs fan to voice this. To show the public that although Pop is a genius, he has made mistakes and continues to do.

My first question:

1. Why do you insist on double teaming star players so much?

I understand everyone has their philosophy, but this one doesn’t work for us.

First off, we are too laterally slow to recover. Finley, Mason, Udoka, Bowen and Ginobili just aren’t as quick as they are/used to be on the perimeter. Watching the Cavs game, I was sick of seeing the open shots from Mo and Delonte. These are the same open shots I see from Posey and Butler and Fisher and Ariza. Its just unacceptable.

On a side note, I almost fell out of my chair when the Professor Hubie Brown said that Fin-Dog is an excellent defender. He never was and never will be. He’s from the Suns/Mavs school of defense and if you didn’t know that school never existed. Hubie is a numbers man, but his vision is definitely off.

OK, now that’s done. Its time to accept that there’s nothing wrong with allowing Lebron and Kobe to score all the points they want as long as we can contain the other players. Are we the defensive team we were years ago? Of course not. But that’s also something we need to come to terms with and I don’t think we have.

Doubling players will tire us out more than playing 1 on 1. We are still just as slow as we were in our championship years. Double team or not, teams will score. But they won’t score on us as much if you let the game be 1 on

#2 Why isn’t Timmy the #1 option anymore?

Look, I know this is Tony Parker’s (offensive output wise) team, but it can’t be to the point that we completely ignore the guy responsible for our 4 titles.

Did you see that one sequence against the Cavs in the 3rd where Timmy was at the top of the key, extended his arms wide open, and TP ignored him? If you looked at Duncan’s reaction after that and the look on his face post-game, you know that he’s not happy with his lack of touches (a guess). But why does it even matter because he’ll never communicate it because that’s not his personality.

Can it be said that Timmy has fallen off? That’s a fair argument; but not enough of one to completely ignore him. I know Tony has been amazing this year and is basically our most dependable scorer, but it doesn’t mean he can shoot 20 more shots in a game than Tim. We need to start off the game getting TD and Finley involved. Its already done for Finley, but I’ve noticed that if TD doesn’t get involved from the jump, he never gets involved. Its rare you see a quiet first half from Duncan and an amazing second half performance anymore. He’s 32, played 2 seasons a year for the last 12 years, and can’t just flip the switch like that anymore.

Getting the ball to Duncan early will get everyone in the mix and open up the game. With Parker, its different because he’s a perimeter player and with him controlling the ball, its more difficult for the rest of the team to get involved. Especially the guards, because outside of Manu and Hill, they aren’t able to create their own shots.

#3 What happened to George Hill?

Why has this kid’s minutes suddenly disappeared? It seems like Pop never has a problem giving some young guys minutes at the beginning of a season, but once the playoffs near, he reverts back to Jacque Vaughn. Why?

George Hill has a longer wind-span, is a better scorer and defender. Is Jacque Vaughn a less turnover prone point guard? Probably, but he can’t do much else. He’s overrated as a defender and opposing players look at him as a ‘crossover’ highlight waiting to happen. Just ask AI and Deron.

Is he giving George the young TP treatment of sitting his behind down for no apparent reason? I don’t know. But *I can’t believe I’m saying this* Pop is pissing me off. More on that later.

As for Roger, he couldn’t run the point if his life depended on it. He needs to be doing what he does best - and that’s running off screens ala Rip and Reggie - and shooting on the run.

Please put Hill back in the rotation and keep Roger doing what he does best and that’s being a bench player.

#4 Why is Ginobilli starting?

I know everyone from Spurs Talk and Pounding the Rock will have their own opinions on this; and they may differ with me, but I disagree with the whole Manu starting idea.

Manu said it himself: ‘I rather be the first one to sub in than sub out.’
Mentally, people may act like Manu can just be fine with the changes just because he was in the past. But he’s so used to being the spark-plug and the ball dominator when he comes off the bench, that its a difficult change to become a starter.

Parker and TD dominate the ball and Finley even gets his share of shots off along with Matt. It was different before when you had Bruce and Fab who passed at will in the lineup.

I also don’t see any energy off the bench. Drew may be the only one that exhibits energy and maybe George. But Kurt, Roger, Ime, Bruce, Fab? They don’t exhibit that one bit. Can Roger score? Of course, but not in an explosive manner. Manu can do that and its why he needs to come off the bench.

If we could’ve beaten the Lakers last year with him in a secondary role (if he was healthy) and a less deeper team, we can do it this year again.
We don’t need to start Manu for the rest of the season to get him comfortable. We need to leave him in his favorite slot so (the bench) he knows day in and out what’s expected of him.

#5 Where the hell is Bruce?

Are you kidding me Pop? Ime and Fin-Dog? One came in here supposedly to be a defensive stopper and never proved to be one. The next Bruce is what he was called. I’ve never seen anything remotely close to Bruce from him - even his jump shot.

As for Finley, one day he drives me crazy and the next he doesn’t. The former more than the latter. But, can you really tell me that you can play Fin 30-35 minutes some nights and not figure out that Bruce is better off in there?

Is Bruce the defender he used to be? No. But Bowen at 50 percent of his past defensive ability, is better than Finley at his defensive ability at 20 in Wisconsin, 26 in Dallas and now in San Antonio. Can Bruce shoot the 3 from different spots of the court as Fin? No. But if you put Fin and Bruce in that same corner, I bet Bruce beats him in a 3 point contest.

Look, we have a week left - get Bruce in playing shape for the post-season. With Deron, Roy, Kobe, Billups, Terry, Artest, and Paul out there, we can’t depend on Roger or Finley to guard them. We just can’t.

Bonus questions:

#6 Do you realize that you are losing your teams confidence?
Look, I love you man. You’ve helped lead us to 4 titles. I thought you were initially a fool for getting rid of Bob Hill; you obviously proved me wrong.
But, all the late season sit-downs and promotions, Ginobilli bench/starter, drafting of international players you can never afford, etc have gotten to me.

I included drafting because I’m starting to believe RC doesn’t run a damn thing - you do.

I’ve also never seen so many different beat writers for a paper as I have at the Express News. I’ve also never seen a reporter challenge you or write an even negative piece about you in that paper.

Let’s face it - Pop runs a dictatorship in San Antonio and no one can say a damn thing to him. He’ll blow off a reporter if he thinks a dumb question is asked and basically does what he wants out there.

I was watching the Cavs game and I don’t think these guys even listen anymore. Their so used to you; all they do is hear you now, but not listen. Its not a coach who lost his team because that hasn’t happened yet. But its a team that’s confused and fed up with all these Bill Nye the Science Guy experiments your pulling.

Why in gods name did you bench Hill? Mason at the point? Bowen with no minutes? Manu as a starter? Drafted Splitter? Traded Barbosa? Play Finley so much? Traded Scola?

I understand we are a small market team, but if that’s the case, don’t draft players you will never be able to keep. For what? Draft picks that 9 times out of 10 (Parker Manu) never produce anything for us.

#7 When will we start looking towards the future?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying its time to look to the future because we have no shot at a title. That’s not why I’m saying this. I absolutely believe we can win a title and have a window of 2 more years before Duncan and Ginobili have knees that can’t hold up anymore.

But, what I don’t want to see anymore is guys like Pops Mensah Bonsu getting away. A big man who can block shots and put the ball in the basket. Miahmini needs to get time next year; there should be no ifs’, ands’ or buts’ about that. Our owner should force it on Pop for god sakes to play more of the young kids.

Its all fine and dandy to land the Gooden’s, Bonner’s, Kurt’s and other role players to give us experience and fill some holes down the stretch; but we can’t continue doing this because its sacrificing our shot at developing the future.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I’m not just focused on winning a title, I want to be a consistent winning franchise. I don’t see that anymore. Once the big 3 is gone, what will we have left? George Hill if he even decides to resign with us? Ummmm Miahmini? Is that it?

If it means losing 5 or 6 more games in the regular season, I’m fine with it if we can give the young guys a chance. All we need come playoff time is Manu, TP and TD to be on anyways. With them healthy for 80 percent of the season, its a guaranteed 50 win season. So instead of starting old ballers with them, why can’t we put some young guys in there at least 15-20 mins a game.

Pop needs to give players more time. He gets way too discouraged and let’s his emotions get the best of logic.

In final, every year Spurs fans do what I’m doing and criticize someone; and then Pop pulls a 99,03,05,07 on us and shuts us up. Pop is the best coach in basketball, but he is also flawed.

I hope we are just going through the motions, but how many seasons are we going to continue saying that. There will be a time when we just don’t flip the switch like we used to. The 2009 playoffs may be that moment. I really do hope not…

rogcl1
04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I figured this has been done, but I just wanted to voice my own opinion as a newbie. I'm getting sick of Pop.

As no one in the media will ever criticize him, and everyone at the Express News is scared *curse word* of him - it will only take a Spurs fan to voice this. To show the public that although Pop is a genius, he has made mistakes and continues to do.

My first question:

First off, we are too laterally slow to recover. Finley, Mason, Udoka, Bowen and Ginobili just aren’t as quick as they are/used to be on the perimeter. Watching the Cavs game, I was sick of seeing the open shots from Mo and Delonte. These are the same open shots I see from Posey and Butler and Fisher and Ariza. Its just unacceptable.

On a side note, I almost fell out of my chair when the Professor Hubie Brown said that Fin-Dog is an excellent defender. He never was and never will be. He’s from the Suns/Mavs school of defense and if you didn’t know that school never existed. Hubie is a numbers man, but his vision is definitely off.

OK, now that’s done. Its time to accept that there’s nothing wrong with allowing Lebron and Kobe to score all the points they want as long as we can contain the other players. Are we the defensive team we were years ago? Of course not. But that’s also something we need to come to terms with and I don’t think we have.

Doubling players will tire us out more than playing 1 on 1. We are still just as slow as we were in our championship years. Double team or not, teams will score. But they won’t score on us as much if you let the game be 1 on

Look, I know this is Tony Parker’s (offensive output wise) team, but it can’t be to the point that we completely ignore the guy responsible for our 4 titles.

Did you see that one sequence against the Cavs in the 3rd where Timmy was at the top of the key, extended his arms wide open, and TP ignored him? If you looked at Duncan’s reaction after that and the look on his face post-game, you know that he’s not happy with his lack of touches (a guess). But why does it even matter because he’ll never communicate it because that’s not his personality.

Can it be said that Timmy has fallen off? That’s a fair argument; but not enough of one to completely ignore him. I know Tony has been amazing this year and is basically our most dependable scorer, but it doesn’t mean he can shoot 20 more shots in a game than Tim. We need to start off the game getting TD and Finley involved. Its already done for Finley, but I’ve noticed that if TD doesn’t get involved from the jump, he never gets involved. Its rare you see a quiet first half from Duncan and an amazing second half performance anymore. He’s 32, played 2 seasons a year for the last 12 years, and can’t just flip the switch like that anymore.

Getting the ball to Duncan early will get everyone in the mix and open up the game. With Parker, its different because he’s a perimeter player and with him controlling the ball, its more difficult for the rest of the team to get involved. Especially the guards, because outside of Manu and Hill, they aren’t able to create their own shots.

Why has this kid’s minutes suddenly disappeared? It seems like Pop never has a problem giving some young guys minutes at the beginning of a season, but once the playoffs near, he reverts back to Jacque Vaughn. Why?

George Hill has a longer wind-span, is a better scorer and defender. Is Jacque Vaughn a less turnover prone point guard? Probably, but he can’t do much else. He’s overrated as a defender and opposing players look at him as a ‘crossover’ highlight waiting to happen. Just ask AI and Deron.

Is he giving George the young TP treatment of sitting his behind down for no apparent reason? I don’t know. But *I can’t believe I’m saying this* Pop is pissing me off. More on that later.

As for Roger, he couldn’t run the point if his life depended on it. He needs to be doing what he does best - and that’s running off screens ala Rip and Reggie - and shooting on the run.

Please put Hill back in the rotation and keep Roger doing what he does best and that’s being a bench player.

#4 Why is Ginobilli starting?

I know everyone from Spurs Talk and Pounding the Rock will have their own opinions on this; and they may differ with me, but I disagree with the whole Manu starting idea.

Manu said it himself: ‘I rather be the first one to sub in than sub out.’
Mentally, people may act like Manu can just be fine with the changes just because he was in the past. But he’s so used to being the spark-plug and the ball dominator when he comes off the bench, that its a difficult change to become a starter.

Parker and TD dominate the ball and Finley even gets his share of shots off along with Matt. It was different before when you had Bruce and Fab who passed at will in the lineup.

I also don’t see any energy off the bench. Drew may be the only one that exhibits energy and maybe George. But Kurt, Roger, Ime, Bruce, Fab? They don’t exhibit that one bit. Can Roger score? Of course, but not in an explosive manner. Manu can do that and its why he needs to come off the bench.

If we could’ve beaten the Lakers last year with him in a secondary role (if he was healthy) and a less deeper team, we can do it this year again.
We don’t need to start Manu for the rest of the season to get him comfortable. We need to leave him in his favorite slot so (the bench) he knows day in and out what’s expected of him.

#5 Where the hell is Bruce?

Are you kidding me Pop? Ime and Fin-Dog? One came in here supposedly to be a defensive stopper and never proved to be one. The next Bruce is what he was called. I’ve never seen anything remotely close to Bruce from him - even his jump shot.

As for Finley, one day he drives me crazy and the next he doesn’t. The former more than the latter. But, can you really tell me that you can play Fin 30-35 minutes some nights and not figure out that Bruce is better off in there?

Is Bruce the defender he used to be? No. But Bowen at 50 percent of his past defensive ability, is better than Finley at his defensive ability at 20 in Wisconsin, 26 in Dallas and now in San Antonio. Can Bruce shoot the 3 from different spots of the court as Fin? No. But if you put Fin and Bruce in that same corner, I bet Bruce beats him in a 3 point contest.

Look, we have a week left - get Bruce in playing shape for the post-season. With Deron, Roy, Kobe, Billups, Terry, Artest, and Paul out there, we can’t depend on Roger or Finley to guard them. We just can’t.

Bonus questions:

#6 Do you realize that you are losing your teams confidence?
Look, I love you man. You’ve helped lead us to 4 titles. I thought you were initially a fool for getting rid of Bob Hill; you obviously proved me wrong.
But, all the late season sit-downs and promotions, Ginobilli bench/starter, drafting of international players you can never afford, etc have gotten to me.

I included drafting because I’m starting to believe RC doesn’t run a damn thing - you do.

I’ve also never seen so many different beat writers for a paper as I have at the Express News. I’ve also never seen a reporter challenge you or write an even negative piece about you in that paper.

Let’s face it - Pop runs a dictatorship in San Antonio and no one can say a damn thing to him. He’ll blow off a reporter if he thinks a dumb question is asked and basically does what he wants out there.

I was watching the Cavs game and I don’t think these guys even listen anymore. Their so used to you; all they do is hear you now, but not listen. Its not a coach who lost his team because that hasn’t happened yet. But its a team that’s confused and fed up with all these Bill Nye the Science Guy experiments your pulling.

Why in gods name did you bench Hill? Mason at the point? Bowen with no minutes? Manu as a starter? Drafted Splitter? Traded Barbosa? Play Finley so much? Traded Scola?

I understand we are a small market team, but if that’s the case, don’t draft players you will never be able to keep. For what? Draft picks that 9 times out of 10 (Parker Manu) never produce anything for us.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying its time to look to the future because we have no shot at a title. That’s not why I’m saying this. I absolutely believe we can win a title and have a window of 2 more years before Duncan and Ginobili have knees that can’t hold up anymore.

But, what I don’t want to see anymore is guys like Pops Mensah Bonsu getting away. A big man who can block shots and put the ball in the basket. Miahmini needs to get time next year; there should be no ifs’, ands’ or buts’ about that. Our owner should force it on Pop for god sakes to play more of the young kids.

Its all fine and dandy to land the Gooden’s, Bonner’s, Kurt’s and other role players to give us experience and fill some holes down the stretch; but we can’t continue doing this because its sacrificing our shot at developing the future.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I’m not just focused on winning a title, I want to be a consistent winning franchise. I don’t see that anymore. Once the big 3 is gone, what will we have left? George Hill if he even decides to resign with us? Ummmm Miahmini? Is that it?

If it means losing 5 or 6 more games in the regular season, I’m fine with it if we can give the young guys a chance. All we need come playoff time is Manu, TP and TD to be on anyways. With them healthy for 80 percent of the season, its a guaranteed 50 win season. So instead of starting old ballers with them, why can’t we put some young guys in there at least 15-20 mins a game.

Pop needs to give players more time. He gets way too discouraged and let’s his emotions get the best of logic.

In final, every year Spurs fans do what I’m doing and criticize someone; and then Pop pulls a 99,03,05,07 on us and shuts us up. Pop is the best coach in basketball, but he is also flawed.

I hope we are just going through the motions, but how many seasons are we going to continue saying that. There will be a time when we just don’t flip the switch like we used to. The 2009 playoffs may be that moment. I really do hope not…

I'll just breifly address #1 . How many games have you watched through the years ? Pop does not normaly like to double as a first line plan of defense. In the game you refer to Finley had Lebron pretty much straight up at the start of the game and oh yea, Lebron had 18 easy ones in the first quarter. The doubling started as a result of the poor one on one and help coverage.
Even Bowen in his prime was not an island to himself on the floor. He relied on the help defense after doing his initial job of harrasing, protecting, and funneling. Now it appears at times as though the funnel is a wave as they go by and the help is slow and the recovery off the help is even slower yet. The initial d, the help and the sloww recovery have all been problems. I believe that when Pop doubles it is usually after most all else fails.

poop
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
agree 100%.

rogcl1
04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Now I will say that I would like to see Bruce get a chance on guys like Lebron from the start instead of Finley, but the point was that the Spurs initial D, their help, and their recovery, at current levels will force more attempts at doubling unless these factors improve dramatically with some consistency.

Libri
04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
There was one occasion in which the Spurs used double teams and semi-zone defense to guard Lebron and that was in the 2007 finals. Remember when Lebron single-handedly destroyed the Pistons. The Pistons tried one on one defense and payed the price for it.

During the finals the Spurs applied that semi-zone defense with Bruce early in the Cavs offensive position. The point was to get the ball out of Lebron's hands and disrupt the Cavs offense. It worked in 2007 because the Cavs were not a good jump shooting team and the Spurs were quick enough to rotate and apply defensive pressure.

Everybody was expecting a straight up one on one match between Lebron and Bruce and it didn't turn out that way.

rogcl1
04-06-2009, 12:41 PM
There was one occasion in which the Spurs used double teams and semi-zone defense to guard Lebron and that was in the 2007 finals. Remember when Lebron single-handedly destroyed the Pistons. The Pistons tried one on one defense and payed the price for it.

During the finals the Spurs applied that semi-zone defense with Bruce early in the Cavs offensive position. The point was to get the ball out of Lebron's hands and disrupt the Cavs offense. It worked in 2007 because the Cavs were not a good jump shooting team and the Spurs were quick enough to rotate and apply defensive pressure.

Everybody was expecting a straight up one on one match between Lebron and Bruce and it didn't turn out that way.

Yes I remember,it was with better on ball pressure , better help, better recoveries after the help and probably a better undrestanding of their jobs. The problem is if you are sucking on defense because there are flaws you might not be able to hide those flaws by simply switching defenses. You must be able to execute your defensive plan better than the offense can attack your defense. Then if you try to switch to something that you aren't normally doing as your base defense? The Cavs just kicked the heck out of us no matter what the defense was.
Hopefully the stars and planets can become more perfectly aligned in the next two weeks.

Libri
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes I remember,it was with better on ball pressure , better help, better recoveries after the help and probably a better undrestanding of their jobs. The problem is if you are sucking on defense because there are flaws you might not be able to hide those flaws by simply switching defenses. You must be able to execute your defensive plan better than the offense can attack your defense. Then if you try to switch to something that you aren't normally doing as your base defense? The Cavs just kicked the heck out of us no matter what the defense was.
Hopefully the stars and planets can become more perfectly aligned in the next two weeks.

I agree, in 2007 the Spurs had the personnel, health and the defensive system to beat the Cavs and Pop was able to identify Cleveland's weaknesses and exploit them.

Even though the Spurs might not be able to do the same this season, my question is this, what is this years Cavs' weakness? I haven' been able to find one that is noteworthy. Cleveland has improved in all areas. The only category where they need improvement is free throw shooting percentage but that is not a big enough weakness that can be exploited.

SenorSpur
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
My first question:

First off, we are too laterally slow to recover. Finley, Mason, Udoka, Bowen and Ginobili just aren’t as quick as they are/used to be on the perimeter. Watching the Cavs game, I was sick of seeing the open shots from Mo and Delonte. These are the same open shots I see from Posey and Butler and Fisher and Ariza. Its just unacceptable.…

I noticed the same thing. In fact, Bowen may be quicker on the perimeter, at his age, than Udoka or Finley. A definite by product of an older team that is slow on its rotations.

Doubling players will tire us out more than playing 1 on 1. We are still just as slow as we were in our championship years. Double team or not, teams will score. But they won’t score on us as much if you let the game be 1 on 1.

Can it be said that Timmy has fallen off? That’s a fair argument; but not enough of one to completely ignore him. I know Tony has been amazing this year and is basically our most dependable scorer, but it doesn’t mean he can shoot 20 more shots in a game than Tim.
TP has worked his tail off to remake his shot and develop himself into a superstar PG. That's been a blessing. The curse is that sometimes he can "pound the rock" a bit too much and forget about his teammates. This was something I noticed, not just this year, but last year too as Tony has gradually become THE best offensive player on the team. I'd like to see Tony develop a better feel as to how to keep others involved, while still getting his offense and shots. Something LeBron already has. He should never have to force the issue. No excuse for Tim to be left out.

Is he giving George the young TP treatment of sitting his behind down for no apparent reason? I don’t know. But *I can’t believe I’m saying this* Pop is pissing me off. More on that later. Please put Hill back in the rotation and keep Roger doing what he does best and that’s being a bench player.

Biggest mystery question. He didn't just become a bust the last 15 games. Why Pop has banished this talented, athletic, guy is beyond me? It's not as though he is getting better production from the backup PG tandem of Vaughn and Mason.

Bonus questions:

You'd think Pop would be up for this, since he likes to manage minutes and even sit his stars down at times on B2Bs. He's careful to take care of his vets and not burn them out. It's just that he's not very good or patient at developing young players on the fly. Something Rick Carlisle claims he had to find out when his roster was decimated in the '04 Malace at the Palace.

I hope we are just going through the motions, but how many seasons are we going to continue saying that. There will be a time when we just don’t flip the switch like we used to. The 2009 playoffs may be that moment. I really do hope not…[/QUOTE]

Chomag
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
To address your question on Hill. It's pretty simple, he dunked the ball so Pop :nope J/k Actually thats a total mystery to me too

CubanSucks
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
:bang God, FUCK YOU YOU SORRY PIECE OF SHIT AND EVERYONE WHO AGREES WITH HIM!!! Just another thread with spoiled fans voicing their "superb basketball knowledge".

llamediocrity
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I was just voicing my opinion on my Spurs. I write a blog called liveabovemediocrity.com based on my life and write about the Spurs non-stop. Check it out.

I really appreciate the responses. I'll be coming with another post tomorrow on the Spurs and the future without Manu.

Josepatches_
04-06-2009, 07:18 PM

[/quote]

That's true.
TP is playing great.Not doubt.
But the team is playing worse with that kind of play.I can't remember a lot of championship teams with that kind of play.Scoring PG usually is not the best way to win it all.

IMO that's one of our big problems.TP can score 30 but teammates usually are out of the game.Only take JS after JS (brick after brick).
This season TP has more assist than ever becasue teamplay is very different but the team seem to be worse.
Of course it's not easy to score and to get your teammates involved.

That's why TD was so greatness.

CubanSucks
04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I was just voicing my opinion on my Spurs. I write a blog called liveabovemediocrity.com based on my life and write about the Spurs non-stop. Check it out.

Oh, well in that case

llamediocrity
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I claim to be no expert, I just know my Spurs. Get ready for another piece later on what we need to do this upcoming offseason.