PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Mavs considered chokers?

dallasmavsnfuego214
04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Serious question.

and here's a shocking stat u guys probably didnt know but ever since we got Nowitski we are 5-0 in game 7's with two of them on the road yet we are always referred to as chokers. there are teams that were much better than us that were never called chokers. everytime we lose its a choke, we "choked" last year to the Hornets who were a 2 seed:lol we choked against the Spurs in 03 when our best player went down when we were playing a far superior team

teams like the Kings were never really considered chokers, yet they never won a ring. the 03-04 Pacers won 60 games yet lost to the 3 seed Detroit, yet nobody mentions them as chokers.

why are the Mavs always picked on?

Muser
04-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Serious question.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

JamStone
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Two main reasons:

1. Game 3, 2006 NBA Finals
2. First round 2007 playoffs

z0sa
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
because dirk shoots fadeaways instead of hooks

Dex
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Two main reasons:

1. Game 3, 2006 NBA Finals
2. First round 2007 playoffs

+1

See also, 4th-quarter, Game 6 2003 WCF.

Muser
04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
+1

And planning a parade before you win the title.

dirk4mvp
04-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Because our best player is white.

pauls931
04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Because our best player is white.

Didn't stop boston in the 80's...

dirk4mvp
04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Didn't stop boston in the 80's...

He hit a few fluke shots. No surprises.

lurker
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
They did do some choking in the finals, but I don't really see losing to the Warriors as choking. They lost to the team that had been beating them up for years. Same team they could have possibly avoided playing in the first round had Avery not tried to mindfuck the mindfuck master.

dirk4mvp
04-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Also, I'm wondering why the op would even start this thread? Are you expecting other team's fans to agree with you?

Girasuck
04-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Dallas WhiteMavs

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Serious question.

and here's a shocking stat u guys probably didnt know but ever since we got Nowitski we are 5-0 in game 7's with two of them on the road

Wrong. The Mavs with Nowitzki are 4-0 in game sevens with one of them on the road. That means they've been taken to seven games three times by inferior teams. And they needed the refs missing when Finley rebounded the free throw with his foot out of bounds in order to get past Houston. The game seven they won on the road was so meaningful to them that they've never actually recovered from it.

Findog
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Wrong. The Mavs with Nowitzki are 4-0 in game sevens with one of them on the road. That means they've been taken to seven games three times by inferior teams. And they needed the refs missing when Finley rebounded the free throw with his foot out of bounds in order to get past Houston.

Add another series-deciding game when they won at Utah. And there's no guarantee Houston would've won G5. They lost any "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments when they got ass-raped by 40 points in the deciding game.

Girasuck
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Add another series-deciding game when they won at Utah. And there's no guarantee Houston would've won G5. They lost any "woulda, coulda, shoulda" arguments when they got ass-raped by 40 points in the deciding game.

God do I remember that game. Calvin Fucking Booth and Malone bricking 2 jumpers at the end. One of the most disappointing games I've ever attended.

Findog
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
God do I remember that game. Calvin Fucking Booth and Malone bricking 2 jumpers at the end. One of the most disappointing games I've ever attended.

One of my fondest Mav memories. That game was the same night as my last class ever in college.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Add another series-deciding game when they won at Utah.

Thank you Calvin Booth.

Sportstudi
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
They did do some choking in the finals, but I don't really see losing to the Warriors as choking. They lost to the team that had been beating them up for years. Same team they could have possibly avoided playing in the first round had Avery not tried to mindfuck the mindfuck master.

I agree. 2006 we should have been able to close it out regardless the whistles given by Salvatore to Wade. That was bullshit, but nevertheless we should have been able to win the whole. In 2007 I clearly don't call an upset. We lost all three games against GSW during the season. Only 15 losses in the whole season, but 3 against the same team??? You can't call that coincidence anymore. Moreover, GSW was really on a hot streak in the end of the season. I think they closed the season with a 9-1 or 10-0 run. And they didn't play only against subpar teams, SA lost against them as well.

BUMP
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
+1

give me a break. we vastly overachieved that series

u guys were a far superior team even with Dirk. lets say you guys lose Duncan for the rest of the series and we win in 6, i dont think we'd EVER hear the end of it.

BUMP
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
So if the Spurs lost against the Bucks (whom they always lose to in the regular season) in the first rd, assuming that of course were in the West, that wouldn't be an upset or choke job? I would be the first to say HELL YEAH...see what I am saying???

not really cause the Spurs arent even that good this year.

and im being serious too

Ghazi
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
"choke" is the most overused word in basketball. Anyone who uses the word and is trying to have a SERIOUS basketball discussion cannot be taken seriously.

In a best of 7 series, the better team wins 95% of the time. There is no choking, because choking implies the better team lost. The better team DID lose in the 2006 Finals, but the circumstances were rigged.

the Warriors won the series 4-2. They simply were better than the Mavs. Perhaps not a better team, it was just a difficult match up. It had nothing to do with mental withering implied by choking. Sometimes a team makes their shots, you don't make your shots, and you lose the game. The Mavs lost Game 6 by 29 points. Dirk had a bad game that warranted criticism, but to say it was a choke is foolish. It's not as if the Mavs blew a 10 point lead with 3 minutes left, they were thoroughly beaten by Captain Jack's bullshit hot 3-PT shooting. Yeah they were an 8 seed, and the Mavs were a 1 seed, but as I've said before, the Mavs were not your typical 1 seed (inflated record) and the Warriors were not your typical 8 seed (injuries). More or less it was kinda like a 60 win team losing to a 50 win team, it happens.

As for the Finals? Whistles, period. Evne in the game 3 "choke", in game 5, in game 6. Dirk made BIG plays that series yet everyone wants to point back to that FT. Big deal, he just missed a FT. Doesn't mean he choked. Apparently in order to not be a choker you have to hit EVERY free throw and EVERY shot in the 4th quarter. It doesn't matter if you hit a big shot in Game 5 that should win the game if not for a bull shit call, it doesn't matter if you have 29/15 in Game 6 and lose because of the refs and your team mates shooting 33%, you're a "choker" because you missed one free throw.

z0sa
04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
^^ mark cuban?

BUMP
04-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Bucks assuming that of course were in the West

Not good this year or the past month. Not being good this year is being in the 8th seed and barely making the playoffs, not the 3rd seed and already in the playoffs, but good try.

how the hell is anyone suppposed to take u seriously?

Ghazi
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
+1

You mean the game without Dirk where Kerr hit a bunch of bull shit shots?

A Dirkless Mavs team losing to the Spurs by 12 is "choking"?

Again, the overuse of "choking". Just because a team has a 4th quarter lead does not mean they're entitled to keep it. It's a league of runs and leads are blown or gained ALL the time. It doesn't mean the team gave the game away, it means the other team took it away from them (except in the 2006 Finals when the refs took it away from the Mavs).

BUMP
04-06-2009, 01:31 PM
You mean the game without Dirk where Kerr hit a bunch of bull shit shots?

A Dirkless Mavs team losing to the Spurs by 12 is "choking"?

Again, the overuse of "choking". Just because a team has a 4th quarter lead does not mean they're entitled to keep it. It's a league of runs and leads are blown or gained ALL the time. It doesn't mean the team gave the game away, it means the other team took it away from them (except in the 2006 Finals when the refs took it away from the Mavs).

yeah lets compare the lineups leaving experience out of the equation

Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Robinson, Jackson, Bowen, Claxton

to

Van Exel, Nash, Finley, Walt Williams, Lafrents, Najera, Bradley

*cue the circus music*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vINCq_IAI

baseline bum
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
What planet are you living on where the Kings aren't considered chokers? Peja Stojakovic airball? Doug Christie airball? Missing half their FTs in game 7? Every NBA fan remembers those, and knows the Kings Dirked that series away.

BUMP
04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
What planet are you living on where the Kings aren't considered chokers? Peja Stojakovic airball? Doug Christie airball? Missing half their FTs in game 7? Every NBA fan remembers those, and knows the Kings Dirked that series away.

:nope

Jacob1983
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
The Mavs are chokers because of what they did in the 2006 Finals and 2007 1st round. However, the Mavs are/were better than the Kings. The Kings never got to the Finals. The Kings never beat their nemesis(Lakers). The Mavs got to the Finals and beat their arch rival. I can't say the same for the Kings. The Pacers aren't really chokers because they were always beaten by a better team.

Dirk and the Mavs get trashed and bashed because of Mark Cuban. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.