PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Truant Students Miss Meeting

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-17-2005, 01:36 AM
Forgetting the disappointment of parenting and the monetary agendas of school administrators displayed here for one moment, just read through the whole story and focus on that last quote from one parent.

:lol

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=6&u=/ap/20050316/ap_on_fe_st/truant_parents
----------
Parents of Truant Students Miss Meeting

Wed Mar 16, 1:36 PM ET

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Prosecutors summoned parents of repeatedly truant children to attend a meeting about the law concerning excessive absences, but 241 of the adults didn't show up.

Knox County District Attorney General Randy Nichols mailed letters about the Tuesday evening meeting to 582 parents, and about 41 percent were absent.

State law allows prosecutors to to hold parents accountable for their children's school absences. Knox County in February arrested 19 parents whose children had 10 or more unexcused absences from school. Parents found guilty can be punished by a year in jail.

"We have only just begun," Nichols said. "We mean this. I don't know how else to say it. You're going to send your child to school."

Cecelia Donaldson, who received a letter about her 5-year-old grandson's absences, went to the school where the meeting was held but refused to enter the auditorium where the other parents heard remarks from county officials.

Donaldson said the boy has asthmas and other medical problems.

"I don't want to hear what Randy Nichols has to say," she said. "He needs to call my house when (my grandson is) up at 3 in the morning throwing up everything he ate."

Donaldson said she was furious after receiving Nichols' letter.

"I sat down and I ate three Mr. Goodbars because I was so angry," she said. "You can't lump parents in one group."
---------

mookie2001
03-17-2005, 01:52 AM
those kids need to get their thumbs scanned and tracked with radio frequency identification tags -RFIDS