PDA

View Full Version : Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Spurs notebook: Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031705.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.1464ae00a.html

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

"That," Tim Duncan said, "is the greatest thing I've ever heard."

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call." :lol

Overheard: In light of Latrell Sprewell's "I need to feed my family" comments early this season, one Spurs fan apparently thinks the Minnesota forward is trying to supplement his $14.6 million salary.

After Spurs coach Gregg Popovich hugged Sprewell at midcourt in the second quarter, a fan seated behind the scorer's table yelled, "Hey Pop, check for your wallet!" :lol

Won't you be my neighbor? If you re-locate to Minneapolis, you might not want to move in next door to Timberwolves general manager and coach Kevin McHale.

Not to say McHale is a bad neighbor, but he's not going to volunteer to help with any yard projects for the folks on his street.

Asked if he pays any attention to the Los Angeles Lakers and Denver Nuggets, the teams with which the Timberwolves are competing for the eighth, and final, playoff berth in the Western Conference, McHale talked about yard work.

"Do you go over and cut your neighbor's lawn, or do you cut your own?" McHale said. "I just worry about what we're doing. (If) you take care of yourself and you're good enough, it will work out."

Work ethic: Minnesota came into Wednesday night's game having won eight of its 14 games with McHale as head coach. The biggest difference between his approach and that of former coach Flip Saunders?

"I think, overall, we're doing a better job on defense," Sczerbiak said. "Now we hope we can get on a bit of a streak."

McHale has called on his players to put in more effort than they did during the first three months of the season.

"The only way I know how to do things is to work hard," McHale said. "As a player, I always felt if I had talent, and I outwork guys, then they had no chance. If I was more talented than guys, but let them outwork me, then at least they could break even.

"Talent doesn't mean crap if you don't work hard."

milkyway21
03-17-2005, 02:12 AM
any comments from the Coyote? :lol :lol :lol

Kersey, you're a bad man...:lol

timvp
03-17-2005, 02:13 AM
"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

Quote of the year :rollin

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Great, the quote of the year and the worst call of the year both in the same game from Jess Kersey.

missmyzte
03-17-2005, 02:27 AM
"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."

There were some seriously bad calls tonight and I don't like to complain about the refs. Seriously, what kind of blind power trip were they on tonight? I like how RoHo slid that comment in there. :)

milkyway21
03-17-2005, 02:33 AM
"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!" ." :rolleyes... is there a possibility ref Kersey is referring to one of the Minny's Wolves? :lol . Wally, perhaps?

just kiddin'

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 02:35 AM
There were some seriously bad calls tonight and I don't like to complain about the refs.

Yeah, I never complain about the refs. But the traveling call that turned into a foul on TD put me over the edge.

maxpower
03-17-2005, 02:54 AM
How about the Parker foul on sprewell going up for a layup...which was blocked twice ...parker and devin.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Yeah, that was an anticipation call. They blew the whistle thinking Parker was going to foul him.

maxpower
03-17-2005, 02:58 AM
I guess they were working all angles....with the calls....should I mention the bowen foul on sprewell taking a jumper...which did not get a whistle until after the ball hit the backboard and wally got the rebound and put it in.

Useruser666
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Hey Whottt, is the Coyote a balla now? :lol

Shelly
03-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Dang....the Coyote needs some tattos now. User, I se a photoshop opportunity.

Phenomanul
03-17-2005, 09:14 AM
There were some seriously bad calls tonight and I don't like to complain about the refs. Seriously, what kind of blind power trip were they on tonight? I like how RoHo slid that comment in there. :)

Misti you are Horry's good luck charm.... 4 threes... hope he keeps it up.... If we are struggling in the playoffs, you might have to show up to a game to pump him up....

TwoHandJam
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I never complain about the refs. But the traveling call that turned into a foul on TD put me over the edge.

How about the Parker foul on sprewell going up for a layup...which was blocked twice ...parker and devin.

Yeah, that was an anticipation call. They blew the whistle thinking Parker was going to foul him.

I guess they were working all angles....with the calls....should I mention the bowen foul on sprewell taking a jumper...which did not get a whistle until after the ball hit the backboard and wally got the rebound and put it in.

Yeah, but stuff like this doesn't happen every night. The officials in the NBA are great and their system of reviewing calls and disciplining their own is very efficient. Complaining about officiating is weak. People only complain when they lose. There is no problem. [/timvp et al rhetoric]

PS. We won that game. Hmmm.

samikeyp
03-17-2005, 10:11 AM
what would be funny is if for friday's game he comes out in orange prison garb.

smeagol
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, but stuff like this doesn't happen every night. The officials in the NBA are great and their system of reviewing calls and disciplining their own is very efficient. Complaining about officiating is weak. People only complain when they lose. There is no problem. [/timvp et al rhetoric]

Complaining regularly about the officiating is weak. Go to LG.net. One out of every two posters complains that the Lakers are always screwed by the refs and that its all a big Stern conspiracy against them. It makes me want to vomit.

I would really hate to see that kind of attitude in this forum.

sbsquared
03-17-2005, 10:34 AM
It seemed to me that the Refs realized early in the game that it was going to be a blow out and since it was being shown on ESPN, they called some ticky tack fouls on the Spurs to slow down the momentum. But the Spurs played through it and blew them out anyway!!

But to toss the Coyote - now that's really lame!! Jess Kersey will forever more be known as the Ref who tossed the best and most beloved Mascot in the NBA - what a legacy!!

Useruser666
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
So if someone else took the costume and put it on, could the "Coyote" come back out on sidelines?

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 11:30 AM
The coyote getting tossed is on ESPN! too funny! They show the coyote acting mad, then they show the ref and you hear him say, "the coyote's gone!"

LOL!!!!

bigbendbruisebrother
03-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Amen. That had to be intentional. Kersey wasn't even in the area. What puzzled me was why the ref that was right there deferred to Kersey.

bigzak25
03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Coyote don't take no shit either....i love it.

KEDA
03-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Coyote don't take no shit either....i love it.
AMEN Brotha!

wildbill2u
03-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Great, the quote of the year and the worst call of the year both in the same game from Jess Kersey.

Kersey's always been a showboating publicity hound IMHO> plus he always seemed to be tougher on the Spurs than the other refs in his 'quadrilla' whenever they worked a Spurs home game. :hang

Extra Stout
03-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Complaining regularly about the officiating is weak. Go to LG.net. One out of every two posters complains that the Lakers are always screwed by the refs and that its all a big Stern conspiracy against them. It makes me want to vomit.

I would really hate to see that kind of attitude in this forum.The officiating sucks. It's not that it's biased against the Spurs -- everybody gets screwed pretty much equally. But there is no consistency whatsoever with regard to enforcement of the rules, and it's laughable how much gets missed.

It's just a black mark on the game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-17-2005, 01:50 PM

"That was another bad call."

Horry's gonna get fined for criticizing the ref for throwing out the mascot :lmao

sa_butta
03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
unbeleivable call, Is this the first time a mascot has got tossed?

bigzak25
03-17-2005, 05:06 PM
i'm ready for the heb buddy to get pissed and run into the stands now too.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/bigzak25/pissedbuddy.jpg

KEDA
03-17-2005, 06:37 PM
its official, the Coyote made Sportscenter

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-17-2005, 08:35 PM
i'm ready for the heb buddy to get pissed and run into the stands now too.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/bigzak25/pissedbuddy.jpg

He's a bastard. He was choking kids a year or so ago.

ALVAREZ6
03-17-2005, 09:16 PM
"Hey Pop, check for your wallet!"
hilarious. :lol :lol

whottt
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
This is a fucking disgrace to the franchise!

For 21 years Tim Derk worked the sidelines as the Coyote with professionalism and he wore that furry suit with dignity...how many ejections did Derk get in 21 years? Not a fucking one!

Now Reggie the Fat Coyote is on the job less than a year and he's already embarrased the franchise in a way that Duncan, Gervin and Robinson never did...

It wasn't a player that destroyed the Spurs reputation as a classy organization...it was the fucking mascot! What Dennis Rodman couldn't do Reggie the Fat Coyote has now done! :shame

If there's one thing I have a problem with it's fucking thug mascots!

It's just part and parcel of what is wrong with the game today, your Iversons and your Garnetts, etc.....

Back in the old days a mascot knew his place...now they want to be part of the action, they just got to showboat. Next he's going to want a million dollar contract and to get a free pass to get out of mascot practice.

Reggie the Fat Coyote needs to be suspended, then fired and then suspended again...and then traded for the Phoenix Gorilla!

Pathetic!

Just fucking great...we got Ron Artest for a #$%#@$ mascot.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 09:28 PM
:lmao

T Park
03-17-2005, 09:36 PM
whottt is heartbroken.

BTW, whottt, did you get to see a video of it??

Oh im sure your convinced its horrible, but whatever.

whottt
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Sure...laugh now...but when this franchise is in the toilet you guys won't be laughing.

Reggie the Fat Coyote is a cancer, a plague on this organzation, and a cancer!

I'm serious...you guys ever watch this Coyote wannabe?

He's got to show off and play to the fans every fucking time his team scores a basket...he acts like he's having an orgasm when ever we have a 10 point lead... and he really makes joke of himself when the team is down...you'd think we had a 50 point lead with the way this guy showboats in front of the fans...and even worse he tries to get the fans to engage in that classless display with him.

When Parker dunks you'd think the team just won a title with the way this guy jumps up and down, whoopin' and a hollerin'. Freaking joke.

Geez...act like you been there before.

It's pretty sad what this world is coming too.

T Park
03-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Alright ill lay it out for you whootie since you DIDN'T see it.

He did the wanting to go after the other player, wich TIM DERK HIMSELF, did THOUSANDS of times before.

THOUSANDS.

So before you start ripping the new coyote nimrod, learn a thing or two.

maybe, gee concept here, WATCH A FUCKIN GAME.

whottt
03-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Thug loving bitch...Why don't you just STFU and go buy a 2! jersey to hang next to your AI and Jayson Williams ones.

Sec24Row7
03-17-2005, 09:59 PM
as much as I think Whott has a stick up his but on most things... T Park...

You need to discover the world of sarcasm

T Park
03-17-2005, 10:27 PM
If so, whottt needs to discover the world of using a damn emoticon.

I believe I have been proven guilty in the past of not using emoticons for when I was sarcastic and was ripped up left and right.

BTW, I dont know if Jayson Williams qualifies as a gangster anymore.

Sure hes a total stooge peanut head but gangster? doubt it.

SequSpur
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
The Coyote sucks anyway,

whottt
03-17-2005, 10:37 PM
TPark, stop trying to excuse your thug loving.

T Park
03-17-2005, 10:40 PM
ok.

I admit it.

I have Randy Moss and AI jerseys.

I wear headbands and hang with the gangsta kids in my neighborhood.

Dont make me get my peeps on you.

Shelly
03-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Classic Whottttttttt!

I still think the Coyote needs a tat or two. or 10

Johnny_Blaze_47
03-17-2005, 11:55 PM
BTW, I dont know if Jayson Williams qualifies as a gangster anymore.

Shotgunning your limo driver isn't "gangsta"? Damn, T Park is hardcore.

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 12:03 AM
:lmao @ everyfucking thing on the 2nd page.

T Park
03-18-2005, 12:19 AM
I thought he meant the white Jayson Williams.

STill, Jayson "Betty FOrd" Williams doesnt seem "gangsta"

Slo spurs fan
03-18-2005, 10:59 AM
The Coyote sucks anyway,

Classics!!! :lol

Rick Von Braun
03-18-2005, 11:23 AM
This is a fucking disgrace to the franchise!

For 21 years Tim Derk worked the sidelines as the Coyote with professionalism and he wore that furry suit with dignity...how many ejections did Derk get in 21 years? Not a fucking one!

Now Reggie the Fat Coyote is on the job less than a year and he's already embarrased the franchise in a way that Duncan, Gervin and Robinson never did...

It wasn't a player that destroyed the Spurs reputation as a classy organization...it was the fucking mascot! What Dennis Rodman couldn't do Reggie the Fat Coyote has now done! :shame

If there's one thing I have a problem with it's fucking thug mascots!

It's just part and parcel of what is wrong with the game today, your Iversons and your Garnetts, etc.....

Back in the old days a mascot knew his place...now they want to be part of the action, they just got to showboat. Next he's going to want a million dollar contract and to get a free pass to get out of mascot practice.

Reggie the Fat Coyote needs to be suspended, then fired and then suspended again...and then traded for the Phoenix Gorilla!

Pathetic!

Just fucking great...we got Ron Artest for a #$%#@$ mascot.http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

iminlakerland
03-18-2005, 12:55 PM
lol thats hillarious way to go whottt...

Coyote > David Robinson :p