PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs-Cavs: The Day After

duncan228
04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
This was out before the Manu news.

Spurs-Cavs: The Day After (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/04/spurscavs-the-d.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Got out of Cleveland late, but just ahead of a freak April snowstorm. Missed my connection in Houston. Now I'm stuck in standby hell.

In other words, what better time to blog?

Here are some leftover thoughts from yesterday's Lake Erie blowout:

* Judging from the hysteria now infecting my e-mail inbox, perhaps there was some confusion regarding Manu Ginobili's ankle stiffness. Ginobili believes this is probably just a normal part of the recovery process. He just wants to make sure, with the help of the team's medical staff. Ginobili told me before boarding the bus out of Quicken Loans Arena yesterday that he probably wouldn't have thought twice about his stiff ankle had he not had trouble with it before.

So, step back from the ledge, Spurs fans. At least until we hear what the docs have to say.

* The Jacque Vaughn thing is a little baffling. Pop likes Vaughn's steady hand, leadership, yada yada -- but Vaughn was also on the floor when Mo Williams went nuts in the beginning of the second quarter, which basically ended up being the difference in the game. He doesn't appear to be the playoff answer at the backup point.

* Yes, Tim Duncan's knees are still a daily issue. Yes, the Cavs are a great defensive team. Yes, they were doubling Duncan throughout Sunday's game. But it is still surprising (to me at least) that Duncan managed just six points against a Cleveland team down both Anderson Varejao and Ben Wallace.

* Playoff watch! It's looking probable that the Spurs settle into that 3-4-5 region in the Western Conference (although they could still fall anywhere from second to seventh). Here's a glance at tiebreaker scenarios that might come into play:

Denver -- The Nuggets own head-to-head tiebreaker over the Spurs, thanks in part to that infamous Feb. 3 game in which Gregg Popovich sat Ginobili, Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley.

Houston -- The two teams split the regular season series and are currently tied in the loss column against division opponents. Right now, the Spurs hold a one-game lead in the third tiebreaker, conference record, but there's still time for that to change.

Portland -- The Blazers hold a 2-1 lead in the season series, but the Spurs could force a split with a victory with the teams meet Wednesday. In that case, the Spurs would earn the tiebreaker based on conference record.

New Orleans -- See above. The Hornets lead the series 2-1, but have to come to San Antonio for the regular-season finale. If the Spurs win that game, they will likely earn the tiebreaker based on conference record.

Utah -- Spurs have already clinched season series against the Jazz, giving them the head-to-head tiebreaker.