PDA

View Full Version : what to do for the playoffs?..

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
so obviously with Manu's injury, we have absolutely no chance at doing anything significant in the playoffs, barring a miracle..a miracle would be Duncan's knees miraculously healing in his sleep, Pop somehow no longer finding Finley attractive, Bowen and Hill getting minutes, Matt Bonner growing some testicles, Drew Gooden receiving a brain from the Wizard, Roger Mason learning to dribble, Jacque Vaughn and Ime Udoka somehow finding talent..you get the point..

so what to do for the playoffs?..

do we shut Duncan down to preserve his knees? knowing Timmy, he's obviously going to give a 110% in the playoffs..he always goes all out..is it worth it at this point? or save him for next year?..

does Pop start taking risks? we're going to be underdogs in any series now..he can take some risks with playing Hill, and even Hairston..not to mention that it would give them experience..

..or just continue going with the same strategy?..

Creation88
04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
you man up and fight.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Shut down TD, and hell, shut down TP as well.

Give Hill some starter minutes and focus on the offseason.

At least now when the Spurs get bounced in round 1 there will be no meltdown, just resigned acceptance.

On to 2010 :toast

yavozerb
04-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I say we suprise everyone and go with this lineup:

TP-Mason-Finley-Bonner-Duncan with our 1st bench players being JV and Udoka...

Kori Ellis
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
If it's going to cause more damage to Duncan for the rest of his career to play hobbled right now, then I would just shut him down for the season and let Parker go freestyle and go down in the first round fighting with all the youngsters on the court.

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
TD is also hurt. Tell him to save his energy to defense

Give the ball to TP and tell him to have fun.

Let's hope he can play some games like he did at Atlanta

Sii
drink heavily and pray for the best :lol

crc21209
NEW Rotation:

PG- TP/Hill
SG- Mason/Udoka?
SF- Finley/Bowen
PF- TD/Gooden
C- Thomas/Bonner

Bruno
04-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I want Spurs to lose as quickly as possible.

yavozerb
04-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Alright for real this time, what about:
TP-Mason-Finley-Udoka-Gooden and run like hell!!

Spurs Brazil
If it's going to cause more damage to Duncan for the rest of his career to play hobbled right now, then I would just shut him down for the season and let Parker go freestyle and go down in the first round fighting with all the youngsters on the court.

I agree with that but TD is a warrior. He will play in the Playoffs. He played a lot of games already on those bad knees. He'll play some more

Bruno
And Pop should play the young players. getting some experience for 09-10 should be the priority.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I really hope Pop gives the youngsters a shot though, although it's unlikely..

in all likelihood, Hill and Hairston are going to be rotation players next year, since the FO must obviously see our need for youth now..since we're going to have a tough time winning a series, why not give them experience in the playoffs?..

Udoka(hopefully), Oberto, and Vaughn aren't even going to be here next season..there's no point of playing them..Oberto doesn't play anyways, but Vaughn? honestly? there's no point of playing him..

since we're going to be underdogs anyways, just live with Hill's "mistakes"..

lefty
Time to start Mason again, and use the TP+Hill combo.

And play Bruce too

jag
I agree with that but TD is a warrior. He will play in the Playoffs. He played a lot of games already on those bad knees. He'll play some more

It's not worth it at this point.

crc21209
04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Mason- It's time for you to step up and go back to what you were doing in the beginning of the season.

Tony- It's time for you to prove you are one of the best players in the NBA, let's see what you are made of now.

TD- You are the franchise...I know you are hurting...but you've played hurt before...show people why you are the best PF ever.

Pop- Time to pull off the best coaching job EVER. No more screwing around.

SpursTalk- Believe.

Fermixalot
04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
As much as I want to say to sit TD, he's a warrior just like Manu and I know it would kill both of them to sit during the playoffs and not go into battle with TP and the other guys.

But hopefully they do shut him down if he doesn't recover enough by the playoffs, there's no point in destroying his body for a near-hopeless cause.

And damn it would be fun to see TP out there running with the rest of the guys. But man would he take a beating without defenses being forced to cover Manu and Tim, and that'd be really dangerous for him. But maybe the playoff minutes for Hill and Mason and hopefully Malik will make them better like it did in the beginning of the season ans we can come back refreshed and on a tear next season.

Mugen
shut timmy down unless kobe breaks his leg.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Shut down Tim as well and play the youngsters.

BTW, here's a nice page on tendinosis:

http://www.tendinosis.org/

Sad end to a season that had such promise 6 weeks ago.

duncan228
I agree, if it's any risk for Duncan to play they might as well pull him now. Maybe the extended down time can help. Who knows.

I also agree it will be hell trying to convince him to do it. :lol

yavozerb
Guys, lets be for real...Pop is not going to throw some fluff rotation with a bunch of rookies out there!!Hairston might get called up but do not expect much from him. The spurs probably prefer him to bring a championship to Austin than getting his ass kicked in the playoffs!!

crc21209
TD will not let himself be shut down. I just dont see it.

lefty
04-06-2009, 06:25 PM
It would be funny if we win the West without TD and Manu :D

ulosturedge
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Let Hill play heavy minutes at PG, Bring Malik back up, and i'm almost willing to say bring Ian up lolol. That is if they are gonna completely shut down Tim lol.

lefty
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Mahinmi !!!!

The Gist !!!!

Spurs Brazil
04-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree, if it's any risk for Duncan to play they might as well pull him now. Maybe the extended down time can help. Who knows.

I also agree it will be hell trying to convince him to do it. :lol

You know TD better than anyone. If he already played 6-8 weeks on 2 bad knees he'll battle for 1 more month

loveforthegame
04-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't see Duncan sitting out the playoffs. I can't see Pop winning that argument even if he tries that route.

I can see Hairston being called up as some insurance but how much time he'll see is not worth guessing on.

I say rally the troops and go for it. Fuck those who are doubting us or counting us out. It'll be tough and it might not be pretty but let go down with a fight.

crc21209
04-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't see Duncan sitting out the playoffs. I can't see Pop winning that argument even if he tries that route.

I can see Hairston being called up as some insurance but how much time he'll see is not worth guessing on.

I say rally the troops and go for it. Fuck those who are doubting us or counting us out. It'll be tough and it might not be pretty but let go down with a fight.

Hell yeah! :toast :flag:

beachwood
04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
sit TD out and play the youngsters.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 06:33 PM
playing youngsters doesn't mean we aren't fighting..fuck, I'd argue that Hill and Hairston showed more heart than almost any of our veterans this year..especially scrubs like Jacque Vaughn and Ime Udoka..

I just don't see the point of playing Vaughn and Udoka when they're free agents that shouldn't be signed next year..

Sii
04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
the chances Duncan sits out for the playoffs is prob slim to none IMO

Quiet Strength
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
The spurs are still capable of winning it all. I believe in this team even without manu... and I believe that duncan and parker can lead the team to another title... although if vaughn plays then all will be lost...

iggypop123
04-06-2009, 06:36 PM
rest duncan for the rest of the season and hope he can play 38 minutes

lefty
04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
rest duncan for the rest of the season and hope he can play 38 minutes

Duncan is really stubborn; he won't do it

yavozerb
04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Duncan is going to play, book it!! Gooden may see more minutes cause the spurs need to see if this guy fits the system and will be back next year.

Spursfan092120
04-06-2009, 06:39 PM

Most of the people doubting and counting us out call themselves Spurs fans..they should all be pinked. It's bullshit. I'm not giving up until we are out of the playoffs..period.

Spursfan092120
04-06-2009, 06:42 PM
The spurs are still capable of winning it all. I believe in this team even without manu... and I believe that duncan and parker can lead the team to another title... although if vaughn plays then all will be lost...
:tu...Screw Vaughn....play Hill.

eric365
04-06-2009, 06:43 PM

This lineup would be fun to watch :
Parker-hill-mason-gooden-bonner

The only hope to pass the first round is to play Houston :lol

04-06-2009, 06:43 PM
pulling duncan from games in the regular season is one thing, doing it in the playoffs is another. spurs will get out of the first round with duncan and maybe even out of the second round depending on the injuries of other teams. i don't want to see the spurs getting swept by the lakers so i hope they just go out fighting in the second round.

SenorSpur
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Let Hill play heavy minutes at PG, Bring Malik back up, and i'm almost willing to say bring Ian up lolol. That is if they are gonna completely shut down Tim lol.

Funny, I thought the same thing.

If it benefits Tim, in any way, shut him down. Give heavy minutes to Gooden and the youngsters (Hill and Hairston). Bring up Ian and throw his ass in there too. It matters little at this point.

Spursmania
04-06-2009, 06:59 PM

:tu

ducks
04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I would play hill so he can play in playoff s

texasmade006
04-06-2009, 08:01 PM
NEW Rotation:

PG- TP/Hill
SG- Mason/Udoka?
SF- Finley/Bowen
PF- TD/Gooden
C- Thomas/Bonner

this is possibly the only chance left....i hope hill can step up..i just wondered why we didn't play him as much later in the season...esp against the cavs

caribbean_spur
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I am with the idea of shutting TD down. I feel bad for TP but I think it's going to be better in the long run. Let the young guys run wild!

spurtech09
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
anything could happen....will see

Brazil
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
The plan is simple : prepare the future !!!!

1) Give the keys of the team to TP, let him be the franchise player for this litle run to see what he has.

2) Start Gooden, limit Tim minutes

3) Play the kids : Hill / Mase / call hairston back

4) Start Bruce

ElNono
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I guess if I had to tone down my expectations for this season, I would love to see a lineup of Hill, Mason, Hairston, Gooden and Oberto eliminating the Mavs in the first round. Hilarity would ensue.

Brazil
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I guess if I had to tone down my expectations for this season, I would love to see a lineup of Hill, Mason, Hairston, Gooden and Oberto eliminating the Mavs in the first round. Hilarity would ensue.

IMHO nobody will prevent TP from playing. He won't accept to not play if healthy even if he has to play alone against a whole team.

ElNono
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
IMHO nobody will prevent TP from playing. He won't accept to not play if healthy even if he has to play alone against a whole team.

I know. I was just being silly.

Russ
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
How about put Gooden in the starting lineup and go for a physical, scoring, rebounding front line. Duncan can get 30 a night easy when he goes all out.

Play Bowen, too. Gooden can take up the scoring slack and allow Bowen to play more.

Kurt Thomas will fit right in with this style.

Then go inside out with Mason and Finley hitting threes. Reprive the '99 formula with Mason being Jaren Jackson.

tonylongoriafan
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
so obviously with Manu's injury, we have absolutely no chance at doing anything significant in the playoffs, barring a miracle..

since when is making the west finals a small feat? we can beat new orleans, utah, denver, portland, dallas, or houston in a seven game series WITHOUT manu...the lakers are the lakers and they're on tv more than leave it beaver reruns

Morg1411
04-06-2009, 09:53 PM
The plan is simple : prepare the future !!!!

1) Give the keys of the team to TP, let him be the franchise player for this little run to see what he has.

2) Start Gooden, limit Tim minutes

3) Play the kids : Hill / Mase / call hairston back

4) Start Bruce

:toast

We scrap our way through it. If we could get to where we are now from a 1-4 start to the season, an injured TP and no Manu then we can sure as hell wreak some havoc in the Playoffs.

FUCK. THEM. ALL!!!!!

Borosai
04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
I believe in Hairston. He's my new hero, and he will lead the Spurs to another championship this year.*

Okay, so seriously, the way he defended King Crab during the first game against them was nice, and a hell of a lot better than Finley. He can definitely help. You give Hill minutes, Bowen minutes, Thomas and Gooden minutes, I can see a first round victory and a great time. If it's going to cause more damage, sit Duncan or just use him in crunch time for some more game-winning 3s.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Well sense we have nothing to lose why not call up Hairston and Mahnimi, Pop has even said himself that this Spurs team without Manu can not compete for a championship. Wouldn't it be nice to get Mason, Hill, Mahnimi, and Hairston playoff expierience right now?

TP/Hill
Mason/ Hairston
Bowen/ Finley
TD/ Kurt Thomas
Gooden/ Ian Mahnimi/Bonner

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
since when is making the west finals a small feat? we can beat new orleans, utah, denver, portland, dallas, or houston in a seven game series WITHOUT manu...the lakers are the lakers and they're on tv more than leave it beaver reruns

I agree that we can beat them, but once you've won numerous titles, that's the goal..

honestfool84
04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
shut down td, and hell, shut down tp as well.

Give hill some starter minutes and focus on the offseason.

At least now when the spurs get bounced in round 1 there will be no meltdown, just resigned acceptance.

+1

Russ
04-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Shut down TD, and hell, shut down TP as well.

Give Hill some starter minutes and focus on the offseason.

At least now when the Spurs get bounced in round 1 there will be no meltdown, just resigned acceptance.

This is still within the Spurs' window of opportunity. Another year of Duncan in the playoffs is simply too much to waste.

These chances won't come again. The future is now.

Go for it! :lobt2:

mexicanjunior
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Yep...2010 all the way...

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
fuck 2010, I'm looking at 2009..we're going to have the opportunity to make significant moves..

mexicanjunior
04-06-2009, 11:13 PM
fuck 2010, I'm looking at 2009..we're going to have the opportunity to make significant moves..

If we can upgrade our team with young players, I'm all for it...just missing the first round firepower.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
shut him the fuck down..

spurster
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
What to do for the playoffs?

Beer. Lots of beer.

rascal
04-08-2009, 09:15 PM

Exactly. They need to really evaluate Duncans health and if resting him starting now would be best for his future then thats the best for the spurs.

Worst thing is to have him play on gimpy knees and tear an acl up because he doesn't have the strenght in his knees now.

Malice
04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
You play till your fucking knees fall off. Thats it. Case closed. What the fuck are we saving TD for? Another injury plagued season next year? fuck that.