PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs show off playoff form

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 02:08 AM
Spurs show off playoff form
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA031705.1C.BKNspurs.wolves.gamer.1464ad1d1.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With Tim Duncan outdueling Kevin Garnett and Robert Horry transforming into Big Shot Bob, the Spurs caught scent of the playoffs Wednesday evening at the SBC Center, leaving the Minnesota Timberwolves wondering if they will do the same.

"Tonight," Timberwolves guard Wally Szczerbiak said, "we didn't even belong on the same court as the Spurs."

In rolling to their 89-73 victory, the Spurs limited Minnesota to its lowest scoring total of the season while holding Garnett, last season's MVP, to two points after the first quarter.

Duncan totaled 25 points, 14 rebounds, six assists and five blocks, but he chose to measure the team's feistiness by the strength of its mascot: Veteran official Jess Kersey ejected the Coyote late in the third quarter for pretending he was going to fight Szczerbiak.

"That's the kind of toughness we have," Duncan said. "They were scared of him, so they had to toss him." :lol

Minnesota had enough trouble fighting off the Spurs even before their furry friend intervened. Bruce Bowen helped force Latrell Sprewell into missing 11 of 18 shots while Duncan, Horry and Rasho Nesterovic took turns on Garnett.

The Timberwolves shot 39.1percent and finished with 20 turnovers to the Spurs' seven.

"They get up in you so much defensively," Minnesota coach Kevin McHale said. "They have established that they are going to that at home and on the road. They are going to be more physical; they are going to smack you in the mouth.

"I respect that style, more than any other team in the league."

After entering last season's playoffs with the Western Conference's best record, the Timberwolves began Wednesday clinging to hopes of landing the eighth and final seed. Their postseason push received a boost Tuesday after Sam Cassell, Eddie Griffin and Michael Olowokandi returned from injuries to help the team beat Dallas.

That victory, however, may have taken a toll on Minnesota. Though the Timberwolves refused to use the back-to-back as an excuse, Cassell didn't play in the second half because his right hamstring felt fatigued. Garnett, who scored 10 of his 12 points in the first 11 minutes, also looked like his right knee might have been troubling him.

"I've seen Kevin a lot more explosive," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

While Minnesota had reason to feel tired, the Spurs didn't need long to settle into a rhythm. They shot 70 percent in the first quarter while taking a 32-18 lead.

Duncan paced the Spurs with eight points, seven rebounds and four assists in the first nine minutes.

"Hand it to the Spurs," McHale said. "They waxed our butts in the first quarter."

Horry made sure Minnesota stayed at bay. He made four 3-pointers and scored 18 points, his most with the Spurs.

When the Spurs traded Malik Rose to New York last month, Popovich said he hoped the move would create a more consistent role for Horry. Popovich frequently split minutes between Rose and Horry based on matchups. In the two games before the trade, Horry didn't play at all.

With more than four minutes remaining in the first half, Horry had matched his previous season high of 13 points.

His timing wasn't too bad, either. His third 3-pointer of the half came after Minnesota had climbed within 38-33. The Spurs used the shot to start a 13-4 run, allowing them to go into halftime with a comfortable 51-39 advantage.

"Rob just messes around the entire season until he's ready to play," Duncan said. "That's just his M.O. He felt tonight was a playoff game and he said, 'Hey, I'll play.'"

Tony Parker did the same, two nights after a left quadriceps contusion forced him to miss his first game. Having regained Duncan, the Spurs lack only Manu Ginobili.

"I can't wait to get every one back on the floor and get a rhythm with everyone here," Duncan said. "But piece-mealing it right now ... we're playing really well."

T Park
03-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Exactly Duncan.

Get Ginobili back.

Get everyone goin for the last 15 games of the year.

Damn DAMN good feelin after tonight.

The 35% shooting through quarters 2 through 4 is a little worrysome.

Kori Ellis
03-17-2005, 02:52 AM
After the game when Pop was asked about Manu's health, he just said something like, "He's not ready. When he's ready and healthy, he'll play."

T Park
03-17-2005, 03:11 AM
not playing probobly until sunday.

or monday.

TMTTRIO
03-17-2005, 03:29 AM
I was watching the interview with Manu on ESPN and it sounded to me like he wouldn't play until Sunday against the Pistons. I'd say give Manu Friday off against the Bobcats. I feel this has really given the bench a chance to step up like they should and gain some confidence.