PDA

View Full Version : How Will The Spurs Respond?

VI_Massive
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
to Manu's absence.......

A few thoughts:

- The whole year has been about getting healthy and seeing what we could do when healthy but now that we're not going to get healthy this year, how does the team react mentally?

- Have we had a year since TD's arrival in which a championship was NOT realistic? We haven't always been the favorites but it has always been a possibility. Maybe 2000 but other than that.....

- Will the guys get angry that they are being written off because of Manu's injury and fight back with a vengeance?

- Will they get depressed at the fact that they are almost certainly not going to win it all this year and just go through the motions until the season is over?

We have always been a team with the singular goal of a championship -- we don't play to get better or show we belong or show we can play with the best or whatever. Now that we're not going to win it this year, how will the team finish the season?

alchemist
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
realistally 2 things are gonna happen:

1) they'll hang their heads, finish the regular season terribly and be a 1st round exit.

or

2) they play scrappy basketball that will be enough to finish the season strong, get through the 1st round and fatigue will catch up to them in the 2nd round.

that's how I see it, hopefully they go out with a bang, no quitting now baby too much has been suffered this season to quit.

AOdM0dTJKPw

Brazil
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
TP will give everything he has for sure so does Tim

ElNono
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Cue in the 'Nobody is going to feel sorry for us' Tim speech in 3.... 2.... 1....
Now, seriously, I think they'll give it all they got. In a way, we're in a 'nothing to lose' situation now. Sometimes that can work to your advantage.

SanAntonioSpurs23
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Any chance the Spurs bring Hairston back up? I would let him play in the playoffs since we really have nothing to lose. Maybe he can break out and play some solid ball....

baseline bum
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Hopefully by shutting Tim down for the season.

lefty
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting to see how they will react, especially wth those bad news occuring right before the playoffs.

I mean, it can't be worse, so the Spurs, including, will have that " We have nothing to lose, fuck the rest of the world" mentality.

Now that Manu is out, for some reason, I want our team to drop to 8th, and play the Lakers in the 1st round, for some reason.......

Morg1411
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Early in the season, when both Manu and TP were out, the Spurs scrapped their way from a 1-4 start to the 2nd seed in the West. The games were ugly, rough and far from perfect, but at the same time they had me cheering louder than ever. For once, the Spurs were the underdogs.

Here we go again. TP has been having a career season. Mason needs to get his confidence back, which he can do back in the starting lineup. Gooden is finally coming together. TD is hurt, but he's still a leader.

I hope they take the "fuck it, let's rip 'em up" mentality. Gut the first round opponent, wear down the 2nd round opponent, maybe even pull a Rocky and make it all the way to the WCF. Fuck 'em all!!!

ducks
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
pop telling everyone that will listen
without manu they suck
should do well for spurs confidence

Brazil
04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Early in the season, when both Many and TP were out, the Spurs scrapped their way from a 1-4 start to the 2nd seed in the West. The games were ugly, rough and far from perfect, but at the same time they had me cheering louder than ever. For once, the Spurs were the underdogs.

Here we go again. TP has been having a career season. Mason needs to get his confidence back, which he can do back in the starting lineup. Gooden is finally coming together. TD is hurt, but he's still a leader.

I hope they take the "fuck it, let's rip 'em up" mentality. Gut the first round opponent, wear down the 2nd round opponent, maybe even pull a Rocky and make it all the way to the WCF. Fuck 'em all!!!

:toast

Chubyrama
04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
An inspired Tony led blowouts against Dallas and Portland with Tim and Manu out. If he gets it going again, I think we might have a nice surprise on the way. But whatever Tony is playing like, I think Spurs will be a better team come the playoffs. Not because I believe in a magic switch, but rather because I am convinced that Pop has not gone mad, and all the tinkering he has being doing, tough I don't support it, must bear some fruits.
At the very least, we'll have a set rotation, and if we can survive the first round, team chemistry and confidence will grow.

Destro
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Tony is going to play his ass off and will us to the WCF. Tony is a winner, he won't quit on us.

Thomas82
04-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Tony is going to play his ass off and will us to the WCF. Tony is a winner, he won't quit on us.

I would like to see that.

crc21209
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM
Early in the season, when both Manu and TP were out, the Spurs scrapped their way from a 1-4 start to the 2nd seed in the West. The games were ugly, rough and far from perfect, but at the same time they had me cheering louder than ever. For once, the Spurs were the underdogs.

All is not lost at all. These boys, especially Pop, TD, TP, and Bowen have too much heart, pride, and fight in them to go down without a fight. I think the Spurs will have that underdog mentality now that Manu is out. EVERYONE will be writing them off. God how sweet would it be to see Timmy somehow, someway holding those two trophies in June. It would be the BEST championship run since 1999, what do you know...10 years after the 1st one. Just BELIEVE guys...BELIEVE. :flag:

mytespurs
04-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I think our boys will come to play these final regular season games and into the playoffs. Loss of Manu, TD's knees and better opponents may eventually knock us out of the playoffs but I'm convinced we go out w/a fight!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!! :toast:toast

Bukefal
04-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Tim should rest these final games so he can be ready for the playoffs. Tony has a lot to do, which he did most of the games, he needs to continue carrying the team and i think he will be even more on fire in the playoffs, when manu is out now. Everything is going to be just allright!!! GSG

Rogue
04-07-2009, 05:53 AM
TP will give everything he has for sure so does Tim
for sure the resposobilities will be thrown onto Tim Duncan and Tony Longoria since Manu is already done. Without Manu the spurs will have troubles when their offense needs creativity, Manu's absence won't do too much harm to their defense though.

spursfan1000
04-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Now that Manu is out, for some reason, I want our team to drop to 8th, and play the Lakers in the 1st round, for some reason.......

yeah id rather play lakers in n1st round than any other round, if your gonna have to beat them, might as well beat them ASAP.:flag:

SenorSpur
04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
In any case, Tim should get plenty of rest these final few games. At the same time, they should call up Hairston and give both him and Hill as much time as necessary.

Who cares if the Spurs fall in the playoff seedings? At this point, it really doesn't matter.

WalterBenitez
04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Calm down, keep TD healthy for next season, develop a team around TP and recruit a good doctor for Manu, the one we have sucks.

guzmangm
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
pop telling everyone that will listen
without manu they suck
should do well for spurs confidence

Yeah, no kidding. I always thought he shouldn't of said this, on the possibility it could happen.