PDA

View Full Version : Why The Spurs Should Tank For the 8th Seed

vednam
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
With Ginobili out, it doesn't make sense to wear Tim Duncan out for an inevitable elimination. So here is the logical thing to do:

Drop games so that you end up with the 8th seed. Then the Spurs will face the Lakers in the first round.

If they lose, fine. At least they didn't put undue pressure on Duncan's body by outlasting the Blazers or Jazz or whoever only to presumably get knocked in a later round by the Lakers when the Spurs are even more banged up.

If they win, then the Spurs will have taken care of their biggest problem and they will have reason to continue in the postseason. There won't be the feeling that they are just delaying the inevitable knockout from the Lakers, and they may very well go all the way. They can take any other Western team without Manu, and I can see a hobbled Spurs team outlasting a hobbled Celtics team that someway figured out a way to beat Cleveland one more time.

The way I see it, the Spurs have nothing to lose. Might as well go for the jackpot to start off with and see what happens.

ElNono
04-06-2009, 08:48 PM
With Ginobili out, it doesn't make sense to wear Tim Duncan out for an inevitable elimination. So here is the logical thing to do:

Drop games so that you end up with the 8th seed. Then the Spurs will face the Lakers in the first round.

If they lose, fine. At least they didn't put undue pressure on Duncan's body by outlasting the Blazers or Jazz or whoever only to presumably get knocked in a later round by the Lakers when the Spurs are even more banged up.

If they win, then the Spurs will have taken care of their biggest problem and they will have reason to continue in the postseason. There won't be the feeling that they are just delaying the inevitable knockout from the Lakers, and they may very well go all the way. They can take any other Western team without Manu, and I can see a hobbled Spurs team outlasting a hobbled Celtics team that someway figured out a way to beat Cleveland one more time.

The way I see it, the Spurs have nothing to lose. Might as well go for the jackpot to start off with and see what happens.

I was thinking about this, and I agree. Unfortunately, I don't know that the Mavs/Utah/NO are going to win that many more of their remaining games. Meaning, even if we tank, I'm not sure we'll get the 8th seed.

Spursfan092120
04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
If we lose, we lose. I don't want to lose on purpose. Lakers in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round is going to be wear and tear on the body.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2009, 09:02 PM
How about just playing as hard as they can and losing to whoever they play in the first round? It's less math, and the exact same outcome.

ElNono
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM
How about just playing as hard as they can and losing to whoever they play in the first round? It's less math, and the exact same outcome.

I'll buy that for a dollar. :toast

Creation88
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
i wouldn't be opposed to playing LA first.

Libri
04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Will pride let it happen?

Spurs1234
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I think the spurs probably end up with the 4th or 5th seed, so atleast they could play the lakers in the second round, which i like more, we get a series to get used to no manu, hope kobe gets dinged up, spains an ankle in their first round and go from there...haha.

MaddSurf82
04-06-2009, 09:52 PM
thats funny

DMX7
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
i wouldn't be opposed to playing LA first.

same here. I actually agree with this logic. The season is lost unless we play Lakers and beat them.

HarlemHeat37
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
fuck that..

I would have wanted this if we were healthy and clicking, but we're not..

these are the 3 worst things that can happen in any given playoffs..

#1- Spurs don't win the title..
#2- Lakers win the title..
#3- Lakers humiliate our team..

#1 isn't happening with the injuries, #2 is unlikely IMO..so let's avoid #3..

FTL..

timvp
04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
You gotta just play it out. There's no planning involved other than figuring out whether or not to sit TD.

Borosai
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
If they were gonna tank, they should've done it before clinching a playoff spot. Blake Griffin lurks.

Edit: Oh, and no way do I want to see the Spurs lose to the Lakers. Then we'll have to hear about how the Lakers are 5-1 against the Spurs in the playoffs. :lol

ElNono
04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Sucks Phoenix didn't make it. Would have been sweet to kick them out of the playoffs one more time, even more so without Manu. :lol

SouthTexasRancher
04-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Trade places with the Sactown Queens right now and then hope we get the winning lottery ball again and go for Blake Griffin.

mexicanjunior
04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
At this point, I'd rather the Spurs lose to anyone but the Lakers. No way I wanna see Kobe smiling and thugging it up as they sweep the Spurs in 4. I'd rather give Portland some confidence to beat the Lakers for us...ANYONE BUT THE EFFING LAKERS!

Marcus Bryant
04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Trade places with the Sactown Queens right now and then hope we get the winning lottery ball again and go for Blake Griffin.

Surely RC made that a lottery protected pick this year.

Surely.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM

You almost had me there, LakerFan, you sneaky bastard...ALMOST.

Solid D
04-06-2009, 10:39 PM
'Not too many "gimmes" left to have freedom of choice with, anyway.

The Truth #6
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Given how this has all worked out, I only wish we hadn't already made the playoffs. We have no first round pick this year and we really could use one. If we didn't make the playoffs, then I believe we'd still have our pick. Not that Pop would play him anyway.

Killakobe81
04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Well I will say this bad and sad news ...
Manu is my 2nd most respected Spur right behind Tim and just ahead of Pop ...
He is a winner a competitor and ALWAYs gave us fits when healthy hell even injured he pretty much WAS the reson we did not sweep yall asses last year ...
Those that criticize him for playing for his country really do not "get" Manu beating the US meant a lot to him and he did not punk out from defending his gold medal ...
If you guys are done with him Id take him my team any day.
Get well Manu ...hope you can regain your game next year ...

ElNono
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Well I will say this bad and sad news ...
Manu is my 2nd most respected Spur right behind Tim and just ahead of Pop ...
He is a winner a competitor and ALWAYs gave us fits when healthy hell even injured he pretty much WAS the reson we did not sweep yall asses last year ...
Those that criticize him for playing for his country really do not "get" Manu beating the US meant a lot to him and he did not punk out from defending his gold medal ...
If you guys are done with him Id take him my team any day.
Get well Manu ...hope you can regain your game next year ...

:toast

manu_maniac
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
At this point, I'd rather the Spurs lose to anyone but the Lakers. No way I wanna see Kobe smiling and thugging it up as they sweep the Spurs in 4. I'd rather give Portland some confidence to beat the Lakers for us...ANYONE BUT THE EFFING LAKERS!

This

ducks
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM

oh I thought it would be hard foul kobe several times a game :downspin::lmao:bking:ihit

SouthTexasRancher
04-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Surely RC made that a lottery protected pick this year.

Surely.

Surely! lol Who knows, maybe RC is doing his Houdini act behind curtain #3

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I still want the Spurs to do the impossible and take out the Lakers even if it means not winning the Championship. If Spurs can't win it all, LET THE EAST WIN THIS YEAR but please don't let it be a cakewalk for Kobe and Phil!!!

Ghazi
04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Spurs would have to lose their final 6 games for the 8 seed and even then it wouldn't be assured.

mexicanjunior
04-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Spurs would have to lose their final 6 games for the 8 seed and even then it wouldn't be assured.

That's not out of the question at this point...

Josepatches_
04-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I would like to face the Lakers in the first round if we had the big3 healthy.I dont want to repeat the 2008's WCF when we were tired.

Right now it has no sense because we are going to lose and I don't want to lose with the Fakers.

But don't worry about an early exit.We will be 4th or 5th so we will have an early exit anyway.

holcs50
04-06-2009, 11:58 PM
fuck that..

I would have wanted this if we were healthy and clicking, but we're not..

these are the 3 worst things that can happen in any given playoffs..

#1- Spurs don't win the title..
#2- Lakers win the title..
#3- Lakers humiliate our team..

#1 isn't happening with the injuries, #2 is unlikely IMO..so let's avoid #3..

FTL..

Totally agree-thats about the worst idea i've ever fucking heard, no lie. I live in SoCal and a cesspool of lakers fans and I couldn't bare getting straight up embarrassed because I'd never hear the end of it. The last team I want to lose to is the Lakers. Honestly though the way we've been playing even with manu shows me whoever we play in the first round without manu and a hurting TD will be a very very very large obstacle being it will prob be portland, or utah, or NO...i just hope to God we dont fall to 8th----pleasssseeee dont!!!