PDA

View Full Version : Compassion II

NeoConIV
03-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Hitler would've been proud...

My brother had a good friend with cleft lip...he worked at a graphic arts firm on the riverwalk...did some stuff for blue star, some billboards, some snazzy bus stop benches....I wonder if he felt he should have been aborted because of his 'handicap'?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1439312,00.html

Cleft lip abortion done 'in good faith'

James Meikle, health correspondent
Thursday March 17, 2005
The Guardian

Doctors and health officials will consider whether more guidance on abortions is needed following the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service not to prosecute two doctors who authorised a late abortion on a foetus with a cleft lip and palate.
Jim England, the chief crown prosecutor for West Mercia, said the doctors believed, in good faith, that there was a substantial risk the child would be seriously handicapped. "In these circumstances, I decided that there was insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and that there should be no charges against either of the doctors," he said.

The inquiry began after a legal challenge over a previous decision by police not to charge the doctors involved in the abortion carried out, in 2001, on an unnamed woman from Herefordshire who was more than 24 weeks pregnant.

Joanna Jepson, 28, now at St Michael's Church, Chester, but then a trainee vicar, found out about the procedure in 2002 when studying abortion statistics and suggested that it amounted to unlawful killing.

Yesterday Ms Jepson said: "While I'm disappointed about the CPS's decision to drop the case, I am pleased the case has raised the issue of late-term abortion and the plight of disabled babies in late-term pregnancy. It has exposed grave discrimination and I will be seeking legal advice."

She said she might try to get clarification from the courts about whether unborn children in the third trimester have got human rights and what constituted "serious handicap".

She might consider whether to re-open a judicial review of the first decision not to prosecute. This was stayed after police decided to conduct a second inquiry into the case, admitting the initial decision was not based on a full investigation.

Ms Jepson was born with a congenital jaw defect, uncorrected until her teens, and her brother has Down's syndrome. Her lawyers had argued that a cleft palate could not be considered as a severe disability.

The prosecutor's decision coincides with heated debate over whether the 24-week limit on terminating pregnancy should be reduced. The 1967 Abortion Act allows for later termination if two doctors decide a child would be seriously handicapped.

The Department of Health would not comment on the case but the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology said it knew the doctors "were acting in good faith and within the current legislation," adding: "We now need to consider whether further guidance is needed."

Ann Furedi, chief executive of the abortion care organisation Bpas, said: "This is very good news. We were very concerned at the prosecution because this situation arose because somebody who had nothing to do with the particular case took this case to court claiming an offence had been committed."

She added: "Rather than leap into court or the papers, we need to take stock of the circumstance in which women and doctors make decisions around abortion."

The Cleft Lip and Palate Association accepted the CPS verdict.

"Our concern was that if it was beyond all doubt that all it was a cleft lip and palate, then we could not understand why a decision to terminate had been taken," said the chief executive, Gareth Davies.

Hereford County Hospital's management, where the abortion was performed, reported "many expressions of support" for staff

sbsquared
03-17-2005, 09:53 AM
I read this article this morning and was shocked! In this day of advanced medical technology - who in the world still considers a cleft palate a "significant handicap?"

With abortion on demand at any time and for any reason, I think we will see a lot more of these kinds of cases. How sad!

NeoConIV
03-17-2005, 10:12 AM
- who in the world still considers a cleft palate a "significant handicap?"

This is political correctness running amok like a bull in a china cabinet, destroying everything in it's path.

desflood
03-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Now, what was Mr. Pro-Choice (more specifically, Manny) saying just yesterday about societies not putting value on human life?

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Being Pro Choice and Pro Abortion are 2 seperate things. But, if you have a point to make, feel free.

Clandestino
03-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Manny, are you pro-choice?

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes.

desflood
03-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Sure there's a point. You're right, there is a difference between being pro-choice and pro-abortion. But you also know that as long as there is a choice, abortions will be performed. I'd like to know how you think that a society that allows abortions values life?

desflood
03-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Manny, I know you don't believe that a fetus is human. Well, here are some facts on fetal development during the time period in which a majority of abortions are performed.

Week 6 The embryo is about 1/5 of an inch in length. A primitive heart is beating. Head, mouth, liver, and intestines begin to take shape.
Week 10 The embryo is now about 1 inch in length. Facial features, limbs, hands feet fingers and toes become apparent. The nervous system is responsive and many of the internal organs begin to function.
Second Trimester

Week 14 The fetus is now 3 inches long and weighs almost an ounce. The muscles begin to develop and sex organs form. Eyelids, fingernails, and toenails also form. The child's spontaneous movements can be observed.
2nd trimester photos
Week 18 The fetus is now about 5 inches long. The child blinks, grasps, and moves her mouth. Hair grows on the head and body.

On a seperate note, the "fetus" has developed working nerve endings (meaning it can feel pain) usually by the 12th week.

JoeChalupa
03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm of the belief that when you've helped create the fetus it's love that makes it human.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 01:28 PM
It depends on the context of the abortion. My stance on being pro choice comes with a lot of conditions, IE: no 2nd or 3rd Trimester abortions (unless extenuating circumstances). I also feel if we do a better job of education and prevention, abortions will decline to a large degree.

I feel once the fetus is able to survive outside of the mothers body as a seperate entity (regardless of how much help it needs), it is a life of it's own, and therefor has every right associated with that including te right to live.

I just can't make that arguement for a first trimester fetus.

A society that has many abortions is showing a low value on life, without a doubt. But the government doesn't have the ability to protect a human being before it is a human being. A government can't protect sperm cells or egg cells, and I believe this extends to a first trimester fetus.

MannyIsGod
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Des, I've been back and forth over all of that many times. I haven't always been Pro choice, but after doing quite a bit of reading and speaking about it, I've come to my current position.

desflood
03-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, we have something in common. I wasn't always pro-life, either. But, like yourself, after doing some research and reading, I changed my stance. The way I see it, a first-trimester fetus has a heart (which beats), a brain and other internal organs. It even has fingerprints that early. If not a person, what then? A ferret? A platypus? A turnip with a heart, perhaps?

On a more personal note, thank you for not supporting partial birth abortion. I was going to come find you and kick your ass in person!

sbsquared
03-17-2005, 02:58 PM
If a woman has a miscarriage early in her pregnancy, does she say "Oh well, it wasn't a person anyway." NO! She says she lost the BABY!