PDA

View Full Version : New Truck

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 03:21 PM
I need some help...

I have 2 vehicles. A 2004 black Mitsubishi Eclipse (Spyder)
and of course my new Hummer.

I want to get rid of my Eclipse and purchase a truck (4 door)
I have my eye out for the new Toyota Tundra but my friends say that I should just go for the 4 door Ford truck.

I will be truck shopping this weekend... Do ay of you have any Ideas on what a good reliable truck will be?

Insurance & Gas on my Hummer Is killing me. So, I want to keep that as a weekender and get a 4 door truck as a take me to work vehicle.

SpursWoman
09-23-2004, 03:30 PM
You want to save money on insurance & gas, but you're trading in an Eclipse for a 4 dr truck?

:wtf

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 03:33 PM
my personal preference would be for a chevy silverado quad cab or gmc sierra quad. i don't think you can go wrong with the toyota tundra quad either though.

nothing that i know is wrong with ford quads, and they'll undoubtedly be cheaper....i just don't like fords....:p

engine size will obviously go a long way toward determining how much your gonna spend on gas, so mpg is something to look at.

whatever you do, stay away from dodge.

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
oh by the way, where do you strip at?

:p

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 03:38 PM
oh by the way, where do you strip at?

In my bedroom... Why? Do you have a problem with that?

bigzak25
09-23-2004, 03:43 PM
yes i have a problem with that.

the seating is cramped, the drinks are lousy, and the music from the radio in the corner leaves alot to be desired.

the non-smoking section is a farce...i mean, those smoking bastards are sitting just a couple feet away....

the show is great though. :eyebrow

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 03:51 PM
what are you smoking?

If you think I am a stripper because I have a Hummer, you are full of It.
The Hummer was a gift from my Parents.

JERK!!!!

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 03:52 PM
My personal preferences are also Chevy or GMC and like Zak said...I would also warn you away from Dodges...I drive a Chevy 2500HD with the 6.2 liter (with the chip reprogrammed)...after tweaking the chip I get 14mpg running 80-85 on the highway but if you put your foot into it around town it runs like a scalded dog but mileage is substantially worse...

If you are going to trade trucks every year I would reccomend getting your truck leather decked and hard loaded...I know a guy that orders a new hard loaded diesel F350 crewcab long bed every year, decks em out with all the accessorys and sells the last years truck for virtually what he paid for it when the new one comes in...

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Thank you CosmicCowboyXXX

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Get a F150 Supercrew.

but like Spurswoman, I have to scratch my head at the fact you want something that is more economical in the gas department.

Trucks are anything but.

Das Texan
09-23-2004, 04:01 PM
i wish my parents liked me.

hell i wish i had two vehicles.

hummers are the most useless vehicles in the civilian world.

and its definitely a head scratcher as far as the trading in the eclipse for a truck to save on gas and insurance.

i mean a truck is better than a hummer...but if you get a big truck not by much.

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 04:02 PM
BTW...

your parents aren't looking to adopt are they?

I am good at fixing things, don't eat much, and don't mind doing yard work...
:wink

SpurGal
09-23-2004, 04:27 PM
I'm keeping my Hummer and just use It to go out with family & friends.

I don't know why, but I like trucks.
I actually want to save on money & gas on the Hummer.

Maybe, I need a gas card as a gift for Christmas. :p

Useruser666
09-23-2004, 04:33 PM
Which Hummer do you have? An H1 or H2? I would dump an H2 but keep the H1, he he he.

I have a 2002 F-150 Supercab 4x4 and it's great! I've had not a single problem with it. Rides great, interior is awsome for a truck. It has 2 full size doors and 2 suicide doors which work pretty well. And yes it does well offroad too. Maybe I can post a pick. The 2004's look different now but have some small improvements. If a fullsize truck is too big, maybe you should look at a Tundra or Chevy Colorado. Don't know much about the Chevy but it looks nice.

Hey I know a place where you can buy a 2003 Crown Victoria Police interceptor! I almost want one of those just to see people slow down all around me as I drive on the freeway. And yes lights are included!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

CosmicCowboyXXX
09-23-2004, 04:55 PM
I drove a car like that in high school...it was even black and white like the highway patrol...I put a CB in it with an extra amp/speaker in the grill and got one of those Starsky and Hutch bubble lights that plugged into the lighter socket...

We would all pile into it and cruise on weekends...when we would see other friends cruising and smoking dope I would pull up behind em and kick the light on and yell "pull it over boy!" over the PA...

then we would laugh our ass off as they tossed all the pot out the windows...:lol

ducks
09-23-2004, 05:51 PM
get a 6 cyclinder toyatoo tacoma 4 door
great on gas and plenty of power drove one

Bandit2981
09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
you're debating whether to go with Toyota or Ford?? come on, Tundra kicks the shit out of F-150 hands down! GM is decent as well, silverado or sierra

T Park Num 9
09-23-2004, 05:59 PM
1500 Silverado.

If you want to buy transmissions every 3 weeks.

Get a Ford.

The Nissan or Toyota pickups would be good too.

Better thing to get would be a Chevy Trailblazer.

LandSharkII
09-23-2004, 06:03 PM
If you want to buy transmissions every 3 weeks.

Get a Ford.
Very true. I used to own a 1992 Ford Taurus and by 1997 its transmission had gone out twice. I got rid of that car soon thereafter.

:flipoff Ford. The LandShark has spoken.

Jimcs50
09-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Here ya go Spurgal:

autos.msn.com/research/vi...0&src=news (http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%201500&src=news)

DuffMcCartney
09-23-2004, 06:09 PM
If you're gonna get a truck..make sure it's 4x4....

King Latifah
09-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Very true. I used to own a 1992 Ford Taurus and by 1997 its transmission had gone out twice. I got rid of that car soon thereafter.

Ford. The LandShark has spoken.

Ford cars have more problems than trucks do. I don't know if it's the case, anymore, but we had a Taurus that barely went 100K.

The trucks are about even with Chevy, and some say better.

tlongII
09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Spurgal,

Would you mind posting a few of your stripper pictures? Thank you.

SpurGal
09-24-2004, 01:35 AM
Would you mind posting a few of your stripper pictures?

NO!

You are not Malik Rose to be that lucky...

KoriEllis
09-24-2004, 01:47 AM
No, you wouldn't mind?

Alamo Spurs Fan
09-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Mrs. ASF is perfectly happy with the 1998 Chevy Silverado I bought for her. Of course she also loved the Toyota Camry I bought for her until she realized it wouldn't pull the horse I bought for her in the horse trailer I bought for her...

I'll bet if I google image searched 'pussy whipped dumb ass' it would give me MY picture.

:lol

Mark in Austin
09-24-2004, 02:39 AM
The Hummer H2 is basically a GM big SUV (think Suburban or Envoy) frame and engine with some "tougher" looking body panels.

Sooo... if saving money on gas is an issue, then buying another vehicle in that same size/engine class won't make much sense. (In other words, the Ford F150's and Chevy Silverados.)

The Tundra is a little better, and the Tacoma better yet.

However, I suspect that if your parents can drop the kind of cash necessary to buy you a SECOND vehicle, then they can probably afford to insure it for you as well as help subsidize gas.

One other point - to get one of the fully decked out big trucks mentioned in some of the above posts, you're going to have to tack on some significant coin on top of your trade-in. I would strongly recommend looking closely on how much additional it is going to cost you up-front and on your monthly car note to save money on gas and insurance. I would be surprised if it is worth it.

For example, let's say you drive 15,000 miles a year.

If the H2 gets 13.5 mpg, it took you 1,111.11 gallons to drive those 15,000 miles. At $1.80 per gallon, your yearly gas bill would be $2000.00, or $166.66 a month.

Now if by some miracle you find a truck that averages 20mpg, then it would take you 750 gallons to drive for the year. At $1.80 per gallon, your yearly gas bill would be $1350.00, or $112.50 per month.

The difference between 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that gets 13.5 mpg and one that gets 20mpg is $54.16 per month.

So to me the question you should be asking, if saving money really is your highest priority, is:
Does your monthly car note after the trade increase more than the $54.16 in gas savings plus insurance savings that you'll realize each month?

After all, it really doesn't make sense to spend $100.00 more per month on payments to save $55.00-$75.00 a month in gas and insurance.

Unless you just really, really want a new truck and are looking for an excuse to get one...

Johnny Blaze 47
09-24-2004, 02:43 AM
You know, I've been very lucky with my '99 Ranger. I just had to have the brakes redone, but other than that, it's been good.

Duff, why would she need a 4x4? I doubt the waving to Malik at the practice complex needs 4-wheel drive.

Useruser666
09-24-2004, 10:17 AM
The 4x4 is for driving over the other Malik groupies! Oh wait, what other Malik groupies? JJJJJJ/KKKKK!!!!!!!!!!! :p

The Ford F-150's have no tranny problems (no tranmission problems either). I had a '92 and had entire pallets of paint dropped in the back and only replaced the tranny once in 10 years of serious abuse. Getting a 4x4 is not that much more expensive than a 4x2. Yes, repairs maybe higher later on, but it's SO MUCH more fun putting it in gear and rampaging through the mud or up a steep incline.(Or over a traffic jam.)

By the way, for the money, the H2 is a waste. Go to the link to view a challenge between the two of them. There is a high res and low res version. It's kinda funny too.

www.redhummer.com/h1_vs_h2_video.htm (http://www.redhummer.com/h1_vs_h2_video.htm)

Useruser666
:eyebrow