PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hill ....Charlie Parkers knows what happened.

Gervin44Silas13
04-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Charlie Parker from WOAI 1200 says he knows why Bob Hill got Fired, and to ask him in private why....Answers anybody?

L.I.T
04-07-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say its because he wasn't a very good coach.

GSH
04-07-2009, 07:27 AM
He couldn't explain why he was a suspect in the JonBenet Ramsey case, and got questioned every time the team played in Denver. And there was that incident with the three cheerleaders, Marv Albert, and a Shetland pony.:wow

But that's just what I heard. The only person who knows for sure, other than Marv and the cheerleaders, is the one who supplied the pony. Let us know what Charlie's version is.

Taco's Troll
04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
he got fired because he refused to wear socks with his shoes

CubanMustGo
04-07-2009, 07:38 AM
'Things that happened in 1996' forum.

George Gervin's Afro
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
he wore tight white pants?

Suns Fan
04-07-2009, 07:50 AM
WOAI 1200 says

SpursReport is that way ------------------>

I Love Me Some Me
04-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Here's what happened...Hill got fired, and couldn't find work for a decade while the team that fired him went on to win 4 titles.

Obstructed_View
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
The guy with the power to hire and fire him wanted his job. /thread

04-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Anyone who still drinks body solutions will say anything.

rascal
04-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Charlie parker seemed like a down to earth guy. Didn't let having his voice on the radio go to his head.

Something always seemed fishy about the Hill situation.

kobyz
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
because he was bad in the 1994 spurs - rockets series whan he didn't put Rodman to guard Hakeem one on one when Robinson as the halp defender. and instead he put Robinson on Hakeem one on one and that was a very bad decision.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Hill proved his coaching skill at the college level. Count me as impressed.

Obstructed_View
04-07-2009, 11:04 AM
because he was bad in the 1994 spurs - rockets series whan he didn't put Rodman to guard Hakeem one on one when Robinson as the halp defender. and instead he put Robinson on Hakeem one on one and that was a very bad decision.

Uh, Rodman wouldn't even cover Horry. He was too busy trying to halp his rebounding numbers.

kobyz
04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Uh, Rodman wouldn't even cover Horry. He was too busy trying to halp his rebounding numbers.

he was great against Karl Malone!

FromWayDowntown
04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Why is anyone still bothered by this? It's not like the franchise has suffered since Hill's departure. And it's not like Hill has acquitted himself particularly well at any stop since he departed San Antonio.

Besides, the rumor that circulated years and years ago was that at least one (and probably more) of the prominent players in 1996-97 went to Pop and confided that they didn't think they could play for Hill. Pop had been a favorite to be head coach when he was hired as GM in 1994 -- for the old schoolers out there, Jay Howard actively promoted the notion that Pop the GM should name himself coach in the summer of 1994. It would be typical Pop to have listened to his players, to have canned Hill and assumed the reigns, and to have never allowed some sort of insurrection to be the story. Puro Pop would be to allow all of the heat to come down on himself -- and to never comment on it.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I remember when Spurs fans bemoaned the firing of Bob Hill.

Most Spurs fans are idiots.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Bob Hill is a horrible coach. That's why he got fired. Since his tenure with the Spurs, he hasn't been able to doing anything in terms of coaching.

He was let go by Fordham after they finished 2–26 in 2003, the worst record in school history. They paid Hill $650,000 to GTFO.

tmtcsc
04-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Bob Hill was a bad hire from the start. I remember at the Spurs kickoff luncheon the year he was hired, Avery said something like..'We're really looking forward to the new season and we're glad we got the best coach that was available at the time"..he wasn't kidding around either. People were laughing and then Avery finally understood why. Bob Hill had a grin on his face as if it was some sort of celebrity roast.

Sean MC'd the thing and was the one doing the joking, not Avery. Its ironic that Avery led the charge to convince Pop to fire Hill.

Obstructed_View
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
he was great against Karl Malone!

Too bad Karl wasn't on the Rockets.

SPURS50
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I was upset when they let him go back in the day, but truthfully I didn't understand what a good coach was back then. Watching Pop coach for the last decade or so changed the way I watch and understand the game.

SequSpur
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Popovich wanted to take over the duncan bandwagon and get paid.

EricB
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott, and David Robinson wanted him gone.

Pop then kept that quiet so he would take the brunt of the fire.

/thread

tmtcsc
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Popovich wanted to take over the duncan bandwagon and get paid.

Duncan wasn't on the team yet.

Obstructed_View
04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Duncan wasn't on the team yet.

Yeah, and Troy Aikman wasn't a Cowboy when Jimmy Johnson took over. Duncan probably wouldn't have been a Spur if Pop hadn't fired Hill, who was still trying to win games.

SpursReportSucks
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Duncan probably wouldn't have been a Spur if Pop hadn't fired Hill, what makes you think Duncan had a say in the matter? He went to the team with the winning lotto number.

as far as who coached?
I don't think it mattered who was coach in *99 the Spurs were killing teams left and right with their defense and they could score at will. hell Sequ could have coached them that year.

In fact if you look at the games you will see Avery calling the shots.

Obstructed_View
04-08-2009, 01:50 PM
what makes you think Duncan had a say in the matter? He went to the team with the winning lotto number.

Which the Spurs wouldn't have won if they'd finished with the seventh or eighth best chance instead of the second.

Suns Fan
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Which the Spurs wouldn't have won if they'd finished with the seventh or eighth best chance instead of the second.

but you made it sound like they knew they was getting Duncan.

Mark in Austin
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Duncan probably wouldn't have been a Spur if Pop hadn't fired Hill, who was still trying to win games.

If you think they tanked under Pop, you've been reading the msm and weren't watching the games. Under Pop, that team got after it defensively - played hard every night - which wasn't the case under Hill.

When your best offensive option on a NBA team is a 43 year old Dominique Wilkins, you're not going to win a lot of games.

Why the fuck are we still talking about this?

tmtcsc
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, and Troy Aikman wasn't a Cowboy when Jimmy Johnson took over. Duncan probably wouldn't have been a Spur if Pop hadn't fired Hill, who was still trying to win games.

WHAT ?? You are wrong on all sorts of levels.

First off, here's the roster Pop took over:

1 Cory Alexander
33 Greg Anderson
40 Joe Courtney
15 Vinny Del Negro G
32 Sean Elliott
14 Jamie Feick C
4 Devin Gray
4 Darrin Hancock
7 Carl Herrera
34 Stephen Howard
6 Avery Johnson
8 Tim Kempton
11 Vernon Maxwell
9 Gaylon Nickerson
41 Will Perdue
50 David Robinson
35 Jason Sasser
Charles Smith
21 Dominique Wilkins
3 Monty Williams F

David played 6 games that season and Sean played in 39. They were injured most of the year.

What makes you think Pop would put his reputation on the line with that bunch ? If I recall, he took over 18 games into the season. He actually did Bob Hill a favor.

In addition, the Spurs finished with the 3rd worst record in the league. Both Boston and Vancouver had a higher percentage chance to land Tim Duncan.

Your take is weak. Pop fired Hill because Hill sucked. He then decided to put his money where his mouth was and coach this team that he put together.

All the way until the end of the season, his team played hard and hustled. They only gave up 98 pts per game. They just couldn't score, they had no weapons but Pop was laying down his defensive philosiphy.

The Final Countdown
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

1 Cory Alexander
33 Greg Anderson
40 Joe Courtney
15 Vinny Del Negro G
32 Sean Elliott
14 Jamie Feick C
4 Devin Gray
4 Darrin Hancock
7 Carl Herrera
34 Stephen Howard
6 Avery Johnson
8 Tim Kempton
11 Vernon Maxwell
9 Gaylon Nickerson
41 Will Perdue
50 David Robinson
35 Jason Sasser
Charles Smith
21 Dominique Wilkins
3 Monty Williams F

David played 6 games that season and Sean played in 39. They were injured most of the year.

What makes you think Pop would put his reputation on the line with that bunch ? If I recall, he took over 18 games into the season. He actually did Bob Hill a favor.

In addition, the Spurs finished with the 3rd worst record in the league. Both Boston and Vancouver had a higher percentage chance to land Tim Duncan.

Your take is weak. Pop fired Hill because Hill sucked. He then decided to put his money where his mouth was and coach this team that he put together.

All the way until the end of the season, his team played hard and hustled. They only gave up 98 pts per game. They just couldn't score, they had no weapons but Pop was laying down his defensive philosiphy.

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/owned-BSOD.png

Laker Lanny
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Pop has good taste.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/RTM-4/pop-candy.jpg

Obstructed_View
04-08-2009, 06:38 PM

1 Cory Alexander
33 Greg Anderson
40 Joe Courtney
15 Vinny Del Negro G
32 Sean Elliott
14 Jamie Feick C
4 Devin Gray
4 Darrin Hancock
7 Carl Herrera
34 Stephen Howard
6 Avery Johnson
8 Tim Kempton
11 Vernon Maxwell
9 Gaylon Nickerson
41 Will Perdue
50 David Robinson
35 Jason Sasser
Charles Smith
21 Dominique Wilkins
3 Monty Williams F

Yes, they were both "injured". Lucky for us in retrospect that the team was so extraordinarily snake bit.

Pop had no reputation, he had been an assistant coach and he needed an excuse to take over, so he did it before the Spurs started winning. It made complete sense. I'm extraordinarily glad he did it, I'd rather have Pop than Hill any day of the week. I never even said that I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to pretend it was something other than it was, and that's the way I called it at the time.

Vancouver couldn't get Tim Duncan unless someone else was picked first. They were an expansion team and couldn't pick higher than second. If you're going to pick a fight with me, don't mistake me for someone that would miss a detail like that.

My take is based on what I observed at the time. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with it, although it your breath smells like Pop's ass while you're ranting. One might suggest that those of you that are so rabidly against anyone even suggesting that the Spurs tanked are guilty of "protesting too much".

I listened to virtually every game that year, and I'm aware that they played their asses off. Dominique deserves a lot of credit for how hard he played for a 20 win team. He never took a game off, and as far as I know, he never bitched. However, if you're going to suggest that Pop didn't make that coaching change for any other reason than his own personal interests, you're just as crazy as if you suggest there weren't a lot of nights that guys sat with injuries they could normally have played with. You should be thanking Pop for doing it, because the Spurs would likely have zero titles if he hadn't.

That said, the Spurs' ping pong ball not only came up first in that draft, but it also came up second. You might say that they were destined to get Timmy no matter what.

tmtcsc
04-08-2009, 11:42 PM
However, if you're going to suggest that Pop didn't make that coaching change for any other reason than his own personal interests, you're just as crazy as if you suggest there weren't a lot of nights that guys sat with injuries they could normally have played with. You should be thanking Pop for doing it, because the Spurs would likely have zero titles if he hadn't.

That said, the Spurs' ping pong ball not only came up first in that draft, but it also came up second. You might say that they were destined to get Timmy no matter what.

His own personal interests ??? Yeah, like actually being successful and winning a ring some day ? Bob Hill buried himself when we got blown out by the Jazz.

If Pop regretted anything about the way he handled Bob Hill's firing, it might have been that he didn't do it after they got demolished in the playoffs.

That's about it. Bob Hill got out classed and out coached and the Spurs were picked apart. Pop was already in charge as the GM. He could have been the head coach to begin with but hired Bob Hill instead. He had nothing to gain by taking the coaching responsibilities and everything to lose.

He took over an injury riddled team and did what he could to win games and improve. Who exactly did he hold out of the line-up with a minor injury in order to tank games ? I think David had a broken foot. That's not the type of injury you ask someone to play through.

I'm not sure what Sean's injury was but the bottom line was that he wasn't going to make things that much better. Boston had 14 wins and we had 20. We only had a 20 % chance of getting the 1st pick.

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
he wanted to draft KVH.....

Thomas82
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Yeah, Rodman was a major reason why we lost that series.

Thomas82
04-08-2009, 11:52 PM
His own personal interests ??? Yeah, like actually being successful and winning a ring some day ? Bob Hill buried himself when we got blown out by the Jazz.

If Pop regretted anything about the way he handled Bob Hill's firing, it might have been that he didn't do it after they got demolished in the playoffs.

That's about it. Bob Hill got out classed and out coached and the Spurs were picked apart. Pop was already in charge as the GM. He could have been the head coach to begin with but hired Bob Hill instead. He had nothing to gain by taking the coaching responsibilities and everything to lose.

He took over an injury riddled team and did what he could to win games and improve. Who exactly did he hold out of the line-up with a minor injury in order to tank games ? I think David had a broken foot. That's not the type of injury you ask someone to play through.

I'm not sure what Sean's injury was but the bottom line was that he wasn't going to make things that much better. Boston had 14 wins and we had 20. We only had a 20 % chance of getting the 1st pick.

Sean Elliott was also out for an extended period of time. We had a 37-year old Dominique Wilkins carrying the team for us back then.

dbreiden83080
04-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Who Gives a Flying FUCK?????????

dbreiden83080
04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Bob Hill is a horrible coach. That's why he got fired. Since his tenure with the Spurs, he hasn't been able to doing anything in terms of coaching.

He was let go by Fordham after they finished 2–26 in 2003, the worst record in school history. They paid Hill $650,000 to GTFO.

That pretty much says it all right there... :lol:toast

unibrow
04-09-2009, 01:51 AM
your breath smells like Pop's ass

/thread :lmao

TheDarkSide.
04-09-2009, 01:54 AM
in addition to him being a bad coach, i heard another big reason was he stole money from the spurs organization.

04-09-2009, 02:02 AM
in addition to him being a bad coach, i heard another big reason was he stole money from the spurs organization.

I also heard he laid a huge dukey in the boys urinal..

mmm kay!

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/610/610_img_12.jpg

Dave McNulla
04-09-2009, 02:44 AM
You don't carry much of an argument. Some players may have rested she. Their injuries weren't bad enough to keep them out of games had wins a been needed? That's tanking? I might agree that this ace aril could have occurred, but not the analysis.

As for Spurs getting Tim, Patino had a much better risk than Pop had in the scenario. Pop seems too conservative for that kind of gamble.

Yes, they were both "injured". Lucky for us in retrospect that the team was so extraordinarily snake bit.

Pop had no reputation, he had been an assistant coach and he needed an excuse to take over, so he did it before the Spurs started winning. It made complete sense. I'm extraordinarily glad he did it, I'd rather have Pop than Hill any day of the week. I never even said that I don't agree with it, but I'm not going to pretend it was something other than it was, and that's the way I called it at the time.

Vancouver couldn't get Tim Duncan unless someone else was picked first. They were an expansion team and couldn't pick higher than second. If you're going to pick a fight with me, don't mistake me for someone that would miss a detail like that.

My take is based on what I observed at the time. I'm not sure why you have such a problem with it, although it your breath smells like Pop's ass while you're ranting. One might suggest that those of you that are so rabidly against anyone even suggesting that the Spurs tanked are guilty of "protesting too much".

I listened to virtually every game that year, and I'm aware that they played their asses off. Dominique deserves a lot of credit for how hard he played for a 20 win team. He never took a game off, and as far as I know, he never bitched. However, if you're going to suggest that Pop didn't make that coaching change for any other reason than his own personal interests, you're just as crazy as if you suggest there weren't a lot of nights that guys sat with injuries they could normally have played with. You should be thanking Pop for doing it, because the Spurs would likely have zero titles if he hadn't.

Dave McNulla
04-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Sorry , iPhone on ST has issues.

man on wire
04-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Are you from MavTalk?

Capt Bringdown
04-09-2009, 04:55 AM
I recall channel surfing late one night, and I clicked past one of those Tony Robbins infomercials...that included Bob Hill and the Spurs.