PDA

View Full Version : American optimism up for the economy

ratm1221
04-07-2009, 08:01 AM
For all the haters...

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE5360IC20090407

Optimism on U.S. economy up: poll
Tue Apr 7, 2009 2:26am EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Americans have grown more optimistic about the economy and the direction of the country since President Barack Obama took office in January, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll on Monday.

Two-thirds of respondents said they approved of Obama's overall job performance.

Just 31 percent said they had a favorable view of the Republican Party, the lowest in the 25 years the question has been asked in the poll, The New York Times said.

The number of people who said they thought the United States was headed in the right direction jumped from 15 percent during the final days of Republican President George W. Bush's administration in mid-January, before the inauguration, to 39 percent today, the newspaper said.

The number of respondents who said the country was headed in the wrong direction dropped to 53 percent from 79 percent.

Thirty-four percent said the economy, already contracting, was getting worse, down from 54 percent just before Obama took office.

According to the poll, 20 percent of Americans now think the economy is getting better, compared with 7 percent in mid-January.

The national telephone poll of 998 adults was conducted Wednesday through Sunday. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

(Reporting by JoAnne Allen; Editing by Philip Barbara)

angrydude
04-07-2009, 09:47 AM
so? economics isn't politics.

everyone could feel that a crappy economy is super good, but that doesn't mean it is.

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Rush is optimistic.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/E/a/2/limbaugh-fails-sac0128cd.jpg

Crookshanks
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
So who did they poll? The welfare queens, or the ones who think Obama is going to pay their mortgage and fill their gas tank? Certainly not ANY conservatives!

BonnerDynasty
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
average americans are too ingnorant to understand what is coming their way

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
what is coming their way?

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 11:12 AM

They knew enough not to vote McCain/Palin in.

Winehole23
04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
what is coming their way?Vague portents of doom are scarier. Also, overly specific ones are easily impeached.

Winehole23
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
WH23's worst case scenario, Act one, scene one: a T-bill redemption frenzy triggering US default and currency collapse at the same time.

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:32 AM
WH23's worst case scenario, Act one, scene one: a T-bill redemption frenzy triggering US default and currency collapse at the same time.

not a problem. we'll just change the rules to prevent a run.

Winehole23
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
not a problem. we'll just change the rules to prevent a run......leading to an immediate and catastrophic loss of confidence in the USA. We're only as good as our promise to pay.

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
...leading to an immediate and catastrophic loss of confidence in the USA. We're only as good as our promise to pay.

no...no..no we convince the world that a threat to our national security and economic success will destroy them first.

therefore, we "promise" not to let them collapse, and again claim to be the savoir of freedom and their way of life.

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
and we'll let phil graham make the announcement.

angrydude
04-07-2009, 11:48 AM
"But they have no where else to go" is the probably the single stupidest, short-sighted argument being thrown around nowadays. It's like we're daring them to find a way to destroy us.

long-term anything can happen.

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
where else do they go?

Wild Cobra
04-07-2009, 11:54 AM
So who did they poll? The welfare queens, or the ones who think Obama is going to pay their mortgage and fill their gas tank? Certainly not ANY conservatives!

No kidding.

I wonder if it was a telephonic poll when most people with jobs were at work...

ratm1221
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Just 31 percent said they had a favorable view of the Republican Party, the lowest in the 25 years the question has been asked in the poll, The New York Times said.

Wild Cobra
04-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I'd like one of you Obama cheerleaders to find that poll and look to see just how it's out of context.

clambake
04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
it was conservatives. they all took the day off to watch levi and tyra on fox, only to be interupted by a telephonic poll.

ratm1221
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I'd like one of you Obama cheerleaders to find that poll and look to see just how it's out of context.

Should I search Fox News for a better poll?

Winehole23
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
no...no..no we convince the world that a threat to our national security and economic success will destroy them first.

therefore, we "promise" not to let them collapse, and again claim to be the savoir of freedom and their way of life.You seem to think as long as politicians continue to mock prevailing economic forces, the day of doom will be forestalled. This is not a given. In the face of reality, you can't temporize forever. Events will overtake you..

clambake
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
i forgot to use blue.

who will take the forefront to replace us in this global economy?

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
bfd.

JohnnyMarzetti
04-07-2009, 12:38 PM

You mean like FauxNews polls are taken out of context. :rolleyes

Crookshanks
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Should I search Fox News for a better poll?

Here's the one from Fox News:

How is the economy doing for you and from what you see personally?

Very hot -- we’re doing great! 11%

Warm -- we seem to be doing fine. 26%

There’s been a bit of a cooldown 29%

It’s gone cold, things are bad. 34%

This is not a scientific poll. :lol

Just my opinion - but I would guess that the people who frequent the Fox News site are probably more likely to have a job and investments - so they might have a better handle on the economic situation.

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Thank you Crookshanks. Whenever I need an image of someone frothing at the mouth, banging away at her keyboards like a madhouse inmate, you're there.

Go hyperbolism!

Tell me something Crooks... if they put out a poll showing that Bush's approval rating was going up, how would you respond if I said that the only people that they must have asked to respond were wife-beating rednecks who lived in trailer parks?

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 12:50 PM

...leading to an immediate and catastrophic loss of confidence in the USA. We're only as good as our promise to pay.

We have nukes and a ridiculously well funded military. We're good for it, one way or another. :)

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Here's the one from Fox News:

How is the economy doing for you and from what you see personally?

Very hot -- we’re doing great! 11%

Warm -- we seem to be doing fine. 26%

There’s been a bit of a cooldown 29%

It’s gone cold, things are bad. 34%

This is not a scientific poll. :lol

Just my opinion - but I would guess that the people who frequent the Fox News site are probably more likely to have a job and investments - so they might have a better handle on the economic situation.

And it's just my opinion that those who read Fox News are mouth-breathers. :D

Crookshanks
04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you Crookshanks. Whenever I need an image of someone frothing at the mouth, banging away at her keyboards like a madhouse inmate, you're there.

Go hyperbolism!

Tell me something Crooks... if they put out a poll showing that Bush's approval rating was going up, how would you respond if I said that the only people that they must have asked to respond were wife-beating rednecks who lived in trailer parks?
First of all - I had my rabies shot, so no frothing at the mouth. :lol

As to your question - I'd say you were wrong - the wife-beating rednecks weren't happy with Bush because they probably thought he was too soft! :lmao

But seriously - how in the world could any intelligent person believe that poll that said people were more optimistic about the economy? Any one who has a 401K is not going to be optimistic, anyone who works on Wall Street or in the financial sector is not going to be optimistic, and the people who work for General Motors are probably not too optimistic either!

So - Just who are these people who are so optimistic about the economy?

Winehole23
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
We have nukes and a ridiculously well funded military. We're good for it, one way or another. :)Brandishing nukes to hold our creditors at bay? I can't wait. :rolleyes

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
First of all - I had my rabies shot, so no frothing at the mouth. :lol

As to your question - I'd say you were wrong - the wife-beating rednecks weren't happy with Bush because they probably thought he was too soft! :lmao

But seriously - how in the world could any intelligent person believe that poll that said people were more optimistic about the economy? Any one who has a 401K is not going to be optimistic, anyone who works on Wall Street or in the financial sector is not going to be optimistic, and the people who work for General Motors are probably not too optimistic either!

So - Just who are these people who are so optimistic about the economy?

I'd say it's probably the general population who believe that the problem was caused by a lack of oversight/regulations and who think Obama will add more regulation, spiced with the idea that Obama is mad at these aholes who messed up our economy. Now, I don't think that's the exact picture, but I'm guessing that's what John Q Public thinks. And people who work on Wall Street of the financial sector are most likely dwarfed by the general population.

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Brandishing nukes to hold our creditors at bay? I can't wait. :rolleyes

If it came down to it, do you think we wouldn't do so, in a subtle and nuanced way? :D

angrydude
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
the general public thinks this is just another ho-hum recession and not a taste of what is coming down the pipe.

angrydude
04-07-2009, 01:39 PM
If it came down to it, do you think we wouldn't do so, in a subtle and nuanced way? :D

give us money or we'll nuke you?

That'll go over well.

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
give us money or we'll nuke you?

That'll go over well.

Honestly, why do you think other countries are rushing to develop nukes? It's a defense tactic.

Countries are going to be much more leery of demanding money from a country that can defend itself. That's just common sense.

Assume there was an international run on America, as it were: countries who had debt in us wanted their money back. Right now, as I see it, they have two options:

1) They can work out some sort of payment plan.

2) They can piss off.

If they choose 2), that leads to three other options.

1) Go to war with the States.

2) Call the States a bunch of jerks and try to apply international pressure.

3) Embargo the States.

None of those are particularly desirable for either the country we owe or the US. Let's face it, the big stick America has allows it to get away with alot more stuff than most countries do, but the world expects alot more out of America too. That's just how it is.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd like one of you Obama cheerleaders to find that poll and look to see just how it's out of context.I found the poll.

It is not out of context.

Anything else you need help with?

angrydude
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm not talking about demanding the money back. (though that's related to my next point)

I'm talking about when we have a recession (b/c we ran out of foreign money) and the President goes hat in hand oversees and begs the world to give us some more. (like Obama just did)

When he's doing that he's going to threaten to nuke them? (subtly, of course)

The only way that would happen is if America did, in fact, lose its collective mind.

The other countries will just take the hit and move on with life, while the US faces a economic disaster as our sham economy falls to shreds.

I agree that our military is a HUGE reason why ppl invest in us, because of the perceived and actual stability a strong military brings, but that only goes so far....unless you actually do think we'll go to war to fix our sham economy.

That would fixing one mistake with another.

ratm1221
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
You'd think these tin foil hat conservatives would be happy for an increased optimism in the economy. Higher confidence in the economy means more people spending money, equals a faster recovery. The jobless liberals shouldn't care, but all you hard working conservatives should be relieved since you are the only ones making any money.

Why do you want America to fail?

ChumpDumper
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
The people polled seem pretty realistic in many of their opinions -- e.g., a full 49% think the recession will last two years.

Creepn
04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
You'd think these tin foil hat conservatives would be happy for an increased optimism in the economy. Higher confidence in the economy means more people spending money, equals a faster recovery. The jobless liberals shouldn't care, but all you hard working conservatives should be relieved since you are the only ones making any money.

Exactly.

Why are they trashing optimism? They really want failure to come just for the sake of partisanship. Its really sad.

LnGrrrR
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not talking about demanding the money back. (though that's related to my next point)

I'm talking about when we have a recession (b/c we ran out of foreign money) and the President goes hat in hand oversees and begs the world to give us some more. (like Obama just did)

When he's doing that he's going to threaten to nuke them? (subtly, of course)

The only way that would happen is if America did, in fact, lose its collective mind.

The other countries will just take the hit and move on with life, while the US faces a economic disaster as our sham economy falls to shreds.

I agree that our military is a HUGE reason why ppl invest in us, because of the perceived and actual stability a strong military brings, but that only goes so far....unless you actually do think we'll go to war to fix our sham economy.

That would fixing one mistake with another.

I agree. But the fact is that, if every country decided not to lend to us, there's a good chance America would riot. And I don't think any country wants to see an unstable America, because we are the global police for the most part. If we go down to rioting and whatnot and become isolated internationally, that means that Europe and other countries would have to step up THEIR defense budgets. I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that.

angrydude
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
eh, I don't think anyone believes we'd have a revolution here.

we'd just be really poor for a while.

I think that's bad enough.

angrydude
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM

more people spending money they don't have you mean.

you don't get out of debt by getting into more debt.

Keynes was a snake oil salesman who duped the world.

Wild Cobra
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM

You know, you are correct. I hope you also acknowledge the years the democrats were downplaying the economy had an equal effect on bringing us to this recession.

I am happy there is some optimism, because like you say, it will help. However, I am realistic that the printing money like it's out of style, and effectively putting my children in tax slavery will harm us more than help.

redskinfan
04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Breaking news on Fox News Channel.. Obama was found to be responsible for the devastating earthquake in Italy. They said that his 9 teleprompters fell out of the sky when flying over Italy on Monday causing the earth to shift. wow

Crookshanks
04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Breaking news on Fox News Channel.. Obama was found to be responsible for the devastating earthquake in Italy. They said that his 9 teleprompters fell out of the sky when flying over Italy on Monday causing the earth to shift. wow
They didn't fall - it was teleprompter suicide! :lol

angrydude
04-07-2009, 11:01 PM
unless I'm missing something, nobody is blaming obama for the current economic crisis. At least I'm not. I blame the FED. (and to be fair Bush for starting the whole bailout process)

I am blaming Obama for the FUTURE economic crisis though thanks to that budget that just passed.(not that Mccain wouldn't have done the same thing if he could have)

Nbadan
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
unless I'm missing something, nobody is blaming obama for the current economic crisis.

...listen to Reich-wing radio much? its no longer the Democratic-congress recession, now its the Obama-depression!

:lol