PDA

View Full Version : IE works, Mozilla Firefox doesn't?

Fabbs
04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
techies,

on my Toshiba laptop this just developed this morning:
IE browswer works as usual.
Firefox browser does not. Message is "Failed to Connect"...."Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at......"

Restarting changed nothing.

04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
http://www.filehipo.com/download_hijackthis/download/58170ee6e58bba306c943f5b6d745c99/

Cry Havoc
04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Did you try reinstalling firefox?

Do NOT click the link above.

04-07-2009, 08:11 PM

why?

Duncan
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.filehipo.com/download_hijackthis/download/58170ee6e58bba306c943f5b6d745c99/

Thanks for the link! :tu

Fabbs
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Did you try reinstalling firefox?

Not yet. Now today Firefox works even tho i did not do a thing. What explains that?
Also, i was told Google Chrome is a much better browser then Firefox anyways.
What do you think?

I did not click on the link. Did Numb Nutts plant a virus or something? I don't know her so was not going to take any chance but thanks for the warning.

Cry Havoc
04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Not yet. Now today Firefox works even tho i did not do a thing. What explains that?
Also, i was told Google Chrome is a much better browser then Firefox anyways.
What do you think?

Not at all. Firefox is a much more secure browser, and it also has many more add-ons so that you can customize it to whatever you would like it to do. Google Chrome has very few safeguards in place by comparison, and will basically load anything from any webpage with no questions asked. This can be bad if you accidentally go to malicious websites.

I did not click on the link. Did Numb Nutts plant a virus or something? I don't know her so was not going to take any chance but thanks for the warning.

I'm not sure. The link is called, "Hijack this", which is an OK program if that's what it actually is, but there's no way to tell if that's the real program or if it's spy/malware. I clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all. I reported it to Kori and LJ, so hopefully they should do something about it.

Laker Lanny
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all. I reported it to Kori and LJ, so hopefully they should do something about it.

So your the snitch of ST?

It says file hippo how can you be so naive? :lmao

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Not at all. Firefox is a much more secure browser, and it also has many more add-ons so that you can customize it to whatever you would like it to do. Google Chrome has very few safeguards in place by comparison, and will basically load anything from any webpage with no questions asked. This can be bad if you accidentally go to malicious websites.

I'm not sure. The link is called, "Hijack this", which is an OK program if that's what it actually is, but there's no way to tell if that's the real program or if it's spy/malware. I clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all. I reported it to Kori and LJ, so hopefully they should do something about it.

yeah and i know nothing about computers... haha.

google chrome loads faster, uses less resources, and from what i hear is pretty damn awesome. i wouldn't know though cause it's not for osx yet.

and as for hijackthis... it's a wonderful little app which will output a txt file with vital information about your computer that can help you track down any bs that has installed itself etc.

ps: if you knew a thing or two you wouldn't be claiming such bs as, "I clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all", because it actually didn't try to install a damn thing... clinking that link allows you to "download" hijackthis and install the app yourself. moron.

psps: pretenders keep pretending... as well as haters keep on hating...

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Did you try reformatting your HD?

fixed, 'cause i knew that's what you really wanted to ask. it's your simple solution to being a moron and not wanting to learn what really is screwing shit up.

“bright and shiny”
04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
yeah and i know nothing about computers... Haha.

Google chrome loads faster, uses less resources, and from what i hear is pretty damn awesome. I wouldn't know though cause it's not for osx yet.

And as for hijackthis... It's a wonderful little app which will output a txt file with vital information about your computer that can help you track down any bs that has installed itself etc.

Ps: If you knew a thing or two you wouldn't be claiming such bs as, "i clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all", because it actually didn't try to install a damn thing... Clinking that link allows you to "download" hijackthis and install the app yourself. Moron.

Psps: Pretenders keep pretending... As well as haters keep on hating...

+1

The Final Countdown
04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
fixed, 'cause i knew that's what you really wanted to ask. it's your simple solution to being a moron and not wanting to learn what really is screwing shit up.

http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/owned-BSOD.png

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/owned-BSOD.png

damn! now that shit's funny... wow all those computers going bluescreen. hahaha.

ps: i'm not trying to "own" anyone or anything like that... i just think certain people should shut the fuck up and not point fingers as if they know a thing or two when clearly they don't and it's starting to show in every reply/thread.

Cry Havoc
04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
damn! now that shit's funny... wow all those computers going bluescreen. hahaha.

ps: i'm not trying to "own" anyone or anything like that... i just think certain people should shut the fuck up and not point fingers as if they know a thing or two when clearly they don't and it's starting to show in every reply/thread.

I see you've brought all your little trolls out to play.

Usually when I link someone to a webpage that immediately attempts to download a program, I would explain to them what it does or how to use it. It's an extremely bad habit just to click on random links and install whatever is downloaded on webpage there. There's nothing wrong with hijack this, but I feel it's really stupid of someone to offer a link with no explanations to a user who's already experiencing computer problems. Many malicious websites won't even give you the option, as soon as you click the page, your computer is infected.

But you know, I guess that's just me. I guess people who are really trying to be helpful just post random downloads and leave the OP to figure things out for him/herself.

Now then, here's a link to a file called trojan.exe! Don't worry, it will fix all your problems!

Cry Havoc
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
yeah and i know nothing about computers... haha.

google chrome loads faster, uses less resources, and from what i hear is pretty damn awesome. i wouldn't know though cause it's not for osx yet.

and as for hijackthis... it's a wonderful little app which will output a txt file with vital information about your computer that can help you track down any bs that has installed itself etc.

ps: if you knew a thing or two you wouldn't be claiming such bs as, "I clicked on the link and it immediately attempted to install something to my computer, which is not good at all", because it actually didn't try to install a damn thing... clinking that link allows you to "download" hijackthis and install the app yourself. moron.

psps: pretenders keep pretending... as well as haters keep on hating...

So let's see, you admittedly state that you haven't used a product, yet you know more about it than I do?

Sorry. You're not too convincing, and now you're just being argumentative. Google Chrome is relatively equal in speed to Firefox, depending on what version you use. The newer versions of Firefox have been faster in real world tests than Chrome. Chrome is nice because it separates each tab into an individual process, but that actually ends up using MORE system resources if you have multiple tabs open. Chrome also accepts nearly anything (certificates, scripts, etc.) offered by a webpage, so it's much less secure. Again, for a user that is already having surfing problems, that's not a good idea.

There are good things about Chrome. But it's not as complete of a browser as Firefox yet. Now shut up and stop trying to mislead other users in a transparent attempt to piss me off. :rolleyes

Manu on Fire
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Sorry. You're not too convincing, Now shut up and stop trying to mislead other users in a transparent attempt to piss me off. :rolleyes

http://sio.midco.net/sublime/home/pwned.jpg

MavTalker
04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
This topic is full of win!

The smack value is off the charts! :tu

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
So let's see, you admittedly state that you haven't used a product, yet you know more about it than I do?

i did? nah i've used google chrome before but that was when it first came out, like day 1 and about 3 days into chrome i bought a mac so no need to use that pos windows box anymore. you're wrong again CH.

Now shut up and stop trying to mislead other users in a transparent attempt to piss me off. :rolleyes

you mean... don't do what you do? ah i get it!

it's simple CH, when you act like an asshole you should expect others to act the same way back. don't go chewing off more then you can handle because you're starting to lose your credibility mr pc.

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I see you've brought all your little trolls out to play.

huh? they follow me around... btw i have only 1 screenname here on ST. 1!

Cry Havoc
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
i did? nah i've used google chrome before but that was when it first came out, like day 1 and about 3 days into chrome i bought a mac so no need to use that pos windows box anymore. you're wrong again CH.

it's simple CH, when you act like an asshole you should expect others to act the same way back. don't go chewing off more then you can handle because you're starting to lose your credibility mr pc.

:rolleyes

MavTalker
04-08-2009, 05:18 PM

+1

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-dog-pictures-pwned.jpg

koriwhat
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
you know we love ya mouse... :)

Laker Lanny
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
That's it! no come backs from CH?

:corn: