PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else notice restaurants that are being forced to close down?

Blake
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
restaurants are a tough business to get into, even in a great economy, but I've noticed a couple of long time restaurants finally having to shut the doors:

Reggiano's at Stone Oak/1604

Hungry Farmer on Blanco a few miles south of 1604 (I'm not sure if Barney's burgers that is connected next door is closed as well...)

Bigzax
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
i liked that hungry farmer, though i've only been like 3 times.

they had a 20 or 22 oz porterhouse that was great, chicken fried steak was good, and they had beer in bigass glasses...called the thirsty farmers!

oh well...back to southwest military.

JudynTX
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM
restaurants are a tough business to get into, even in a great economy, but I've noticed a couple of long time restaurants finally having to shut the doors:

Hungry Farmer on Blanco a few miles south of 1604 (I'm not sure if Barney's burgers that is connected next door is closed as well...)

Hungry Farmer is closed? Sheesh! Barney's has good burgers. :tu

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Wow, I love Reggiano's.

Tony Parker's dad took LJ and I there for the first time a couple years back and it was amazing food. I hate seeing all the busnesses close down, but people just aren't going out as much.

San Antonio is much better off than a lot of other places in terms of unemployment, fortunately.

samikeyp
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Sucks about Reggiano's.

peewee's lovechild
04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
they had a 20 or 22 oz porterhouse that was great, chicken fried steak was good

Damn, I'm hungry now.

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2009, 01:03 PM
A lot of those expensive places like Reggianos depended on the expense account crowd for their bread and butter business and a lot of that is gone...I had several banker friends (VP's with "big" banks) that basically had unlimited expense accounts their entire careers that have been cut back to virtually zero...

BacktoBasics
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Obviously the smoking ban is taking its toll.

ploto
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM
I can not count how many things I get in the mail now for free food at nice places. Just this week I got something for free fettucinne alfredo with chicken, salad, and breadsticks- anytime, no purchase necessary- at the Milano at Elm Creek or Alamo Heights.

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I can not count how many things I get in the mail now for free food at nice places. Just this week I got something for free fettucinne alfredo with chicken, salad, and breadsticks- anytime, no purchase necessary- at the Milano at Elm Creek or Alamo Heights.

I'm always up for a good coupon. We use the buy one get one free ones all the time.

04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I know Cafe Paladar closed down (Wife and I loved to go there), and I hear Ounce and Kirby's are closing if not already.

Blake
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I know Cafe Paladar closed down (Wife and I loved to go there), and I hear Ounce and Kirby's are closing if not already.

Kirby's is already closing? I thought it just opened about a year ago?

I'm wondering if the area around 1604/stone oak isn't as great a place for restaurants as it would seem.

Toms Ribs couldnt make it there and there was a burger joint (with the airplane out front) that didn't make it either.

...and last time I drove by "Bigz burgers" on 1604/huebner, I didn't see any cars out front.....

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I noticed quite a few dining places while driving on north 1604 and wondering how they are doing since I see so many.

Frenzy
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
ppl just heading for the walmart chicken.

Drachen
04-07-2009, 02:36 PM

I didn't know that hungry farmer even still existed. Last time I even saw one was when my family used to go to the one on walzem about 20 years ago.