PDA

View Full Version : No Spur Should Ever Play For Their National Team Again.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
F the Olympics too.

Oh, Gee!!
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree--Olympics should be for amateurs

MoSpur
04-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Can teams put something in the player's contracts about playing for their foreign countries?

hater
http://themomblog.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/03/crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

Kori Ellis
Tony is playing this summer, I think.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Can teams put something in the player's contracts about playing for their foreign countries?

So, is it okay for American players to play for their country?

ElNono
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM

He is, and I'm happy for him.

tp2021
04-07-2009, 01:40 PM
If any other poster started this thread, they would be getting lambasted most likely.

kace
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
to blame a player for playing for his national team is just beyond understanding.

in specific manu's case, where he was already injured, i don't think there was any medical indication he could injure his other ankle. i don't even know if it's related.

bad luck and injury proned player. i don't think you can blame him for that.

and i know if i was argentine, i would really love to see manu playing for my country. like i do whith TP. nothing wrong about that.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Nationalism is just an opiate for the masses.

Manufan909
04-07-2009, 01:43 PM
http://themomblog.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/03/crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg

This encompasses his past two threads perfectly.

And kori's response.

ploto
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Cavs declined Big Z playing in the Olympics because he could not insure his contract fully-- which made me wonder what kind of insurance Manu had and then he got hurt and missed part of the season

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think Manu playing in the Olympics was necessarily his downfall this year.

He was hurt in last year's playoffs. He was cleared by doctors to play in the summer, and was told that eventually the problem would happen and he'd need surgery. He knew that. The Spurs knew that. He was cleared medically and give permission by the team to go.

Let's say that he didn't play in the Olympics and just stayed home to rest.

Then training camp would come around, and sometime in the season, the injury would happen and he'd be sent off to have surgery DURING the season, then miss subsquent months in rehab.

So, to me, either way Manu's 2008-09 NBA season was f'd up because of the injury that began in last year's playoffs... not because of the Olympics.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
The Olympics have cost the Spurs dearly, from DRob's back to Manu's ankle. Why cannot the participation of Spurs in these meaningless contests be questioned?

koriwhat
Nationalism is just an opiate for the masses.

it's called pride! regardless of your stance, you don't pay manu's bills nor do you have the pride in your country that ginobili obviously has in his.

i agree it sucks and maybe, just maybe the olympic play that manu endured caused his ankle to worsen but it was inevitable anyhow and you could see his pain in the last wcf before playing in the olympics.

ElNono
I don't think Manu playing in the Olympics was necessarily his downfall this year.

He was hurt in last year's playoffs. He was cleared by doctors to play in the summer, and was told that eventually the problem would happen and he'd need surgery. He knew that. The Spurs knew that. He was cleared medically and give permission by the team to go.

Then training camp would come around, and sometime in the season, the injury would happen and he'd be sent off to have surgery DURING the season, then miss subsquent months in rehab.

So, to me, either way Manu's 2008-09 NBA season was f'd up because of the injury that began in last year's playoffs... not because of the Olympics.

You need to sticky this somewhere...

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
it's called pride! regardless of your stance, you don't pay manu's bills nor do you have the pride in your country that ginobili obviously has in his.

Nationalistic pride is the scourge of mankind.

2Cleva
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3419087255_814dd5551a.jpg

This is Sergio Hernnadez. He coached the 2008 Argentinian National Basketball Team.

And right now, Gregg Popovich is on a plane to kick him in the nuts.

You see, Popovich, who is a light hearted man who seems to genuinely care about the people he works with and shows a remarkable amount of perspective for someone employed in professional sports, gave his blessing to Manu Ginobili to play for the Argentinian National Team in the Olympics. You may have seen them on your television or seen pictures on what the kids call the ‘World Wide Web’ or ‘Information Superhighway.’

And they wound up with the Bronze. Not nearly as good as the GOLD. But hey, not bad.

But in the process, Manu fell down went OHMYGODMYANKLEITHURTS. And not just like how he ACTS like he’s hurt whenever he drives. Actually for real hurt. It took Ginobili months to recover. But the Spurs did as the Spurs do, and weathered the storm. So even though Popovich maintained contact with the Argentinian coach and wasn’t too pleased when Manu came home with the defect, he’s a forgiving man. Bygones and all that. On to the playoffs.

WHOOPS.

Personally, I like to imagine in a yellow jumpsuit with a pad and a pen, a la Kill Bill, tracking him to the end of the earth. And when he finds that coach, he’s going to do what he does best.

Make fun of him.

Pop will make fun of the way he coaches. He’ll make fun of his players, especially that sweaty Scola kid. He’ll make fun of his tie, his coat, his shoes. The way he talks. His favorite wine. He’ll mock his favorite episode of House (OF COURSE IT’S NOT MALARIA!). He’ll mock his kids. He’ll mock his parents. He’ll mock everyone and everything he’s ever loved. And then he will say it’s been good to see him and go home. Because Pop’s just that kind of guy....

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2009/04/06/somewhere-there-is-an-argentinian-coach-in-a-very-deep-cave/

ElNono
04-07-2009, 01:50 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3419087255_814dd5551a.jpg

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2009/04/06/somewhere-there-is-an-argentinian-coach-in-a-very-deep-cave/

Did you write that?

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 01:51 PM
A Gold Medal representing my Country would mean more to me than an NBA title. But that is just me.

WalterBenitez
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
It will go against FIBA and NBA understanding, at the end NBA is more biz oriented and FIBA and Olimpycs is about coutnries and pride.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
MB you are being a cuckold of epic proportions lately. Don't play for the national team? Spurs should just tank the playoffs? That is just garbage. Everyone is upset, but get real. Hopefully your hate of Spurs fans has not crossed over into the team as well.

I can sense your anger, I can feel your power, you are not ready. Turn away from the dark side Luke.

VI_Massive
I would rather the Olympics be limited to amateur players as well.

JoeChalupa
The NBA is all about the Benjamins.

Marcus Bryant
It will go against FIBA and NBA understanding, at the end NBA is more biz oriented and FIBA and Olimpycs is about coutnries and pride.

ROFL. The Olympics aren't all about that dollar?

ElNono
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
ROFL. The Olympics aren't all about that dollar?

For the organization probably. For the vast majority of the athletes, it's all about pride.

2Cleva
04-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Did you write that?

No, I did not.

EricB
04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
MB is 100% right and on point.

MB20
04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Spurs should never draft/trade/sign an international player ever again, then.

adidas11
04-07-2009, 01:56 PM
What an awful thread.

Playing for the national team is important, not only for player pride, but for increasing the popularity of basketball worldwide.

SPURS50
dido^

kace
Nationalistic pride is the scourge of mankind.

i have to agree on this one, even if i disagree about the original post.

timvp
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree. International basketball has probably cost the Spurs at least one championship. Even though I understand the appeal, I'd be happy if international basketball ceased to exist. F it :td

Regarding Manu, Harvey had a piece earlier this season that suggested Manu would have had the surgery in June or July if he hadn't gone to the Olympics. The MRIs at the time were showing that the injury wasn't healing ... but he was cleared because he supposedly couldn't hurt himself any further. Even if Manu would have returned without going down in Beijing, he was going under the knife anyways.

So yeah, Manu gets the surgery in June or July. He returns by training camp. He slowly is able to prepare his body for the regular season instead of having to be thrown into the fire. And there's probably a decent to good chance that he doesn't suffer this current injury that appears to be an overcompensation injury.

If you want to use even more hindsight, with Manu helping out all season, Duncan likely doesn't have to carry the team on his own and he's probably healthier than he is right now. So yeah, the latest round of international basketball screwed the Spurs something vicious.

All that said, I don't blame Manu for playing for Argentina. TD would have played for the Virgin Islands in the same situation. TP would have played for France. Pop would coach for the US. Bowen would play for the US. David Robinson would and did play for the US. This team is good at winning because they don't back down for challenges and put nothing ahead of winning. Manu knew that he could lose millions upon millions of dollars by playing. In fact, the Spurs told him they'd give him a $20M+ extension if he just didn't play for Argentina. But, in true Spur fashion, the hunger of winning ultimately meant more to him than money.

You blame Manu for playing, you go against the very fiber of the Spurs championship banners.

But that doesn't mean I'd shed a tear if international basketball was outlawed :)

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 01:58 PM
All we need now is for TP to hurt himself while representing France, a country neither of his parents was from, in the global national masturbation contest.

EricB
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
What an awful thread.

Playing for the national team is important, not only for player pride, but for increasing the popularity of basketball worldwide.

I'm paying to watch players who are paid by the team that plays here. Fuck the rest of that shit.

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
MB is 100% right and on point.

I think he is 100% dead wrong.

Kori Ellis
I agree. International basketball has probably cost the Spurs at least one championship. Even though I understand the appeal, I'd be happy if international basketball ceased to exist. F it :td

Regarding Manu, Harvey had a piece earlier this season that suggested Manu would have had the surgery in June or July if he hadn't gone to the Olympics. The MRI at the time were showing that the injury wasn't healing ... but he was cleared because he supposedly couldn't hurt himself any further. Even if Manu would have returned without going down in Beijing, he was going under the knife anyways.

So yeah, Manu gets the surgery in June or July. He returns by training camp. He slowly is able to prepare his body for the regular season instead of having to be thrown into the fire. And there's probably a decent to good chance that he doesn't suffer this current injury that appears to be an overcompensation injury.

I think that's BS from Harvey. He wrote that piece way way way after the fact, trying to justify (or discredit) something.

Manu's surgery wasn't imminent when the Spurs season ended. They would have just let him lay around healing on his own all summer. That surgery wouldn't have happened until he had an injury like he did in the Olympics--and that probably wouldn't have been until the season started if he didn't go to Beijing.

MB20
Keep venting, guys. But that will never happen.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
TD would have played for the Virgin Islands in the same situation.

Timmy played for the US team, even though we in the VI have our own team.

Didn't do a lot to endear him to his fans back home.

DPG21920
It is also a way to bring countries together. Many times throughout history, countries at war set aside their differences to enjoy mankind competition. It is a nice reprieve and has brought some of the worlds greatest moments.

The opening ceremonies in China were some of the most beautiful/breath taking events I have ever witnessed.

JoeChalupa
I'm paying to watch players who are paid by the team that plays here. Fuck the rest of that shit.

I watch the Olympics to watch players play for their Country. Granted some NBA players don't have the pride that David Robinson has.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Should the players be allowed to train on a basketball court in the offseason or play pick up games with other pros in order to work on their game?

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I think the slaves of the Chinese government put on a wonderful display too last year.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Regarding Manu, Harvey had a piece earlier this season that suggested Manu would have had the surgery in June or July if he hadn't gone to the Olympics. The MRIs at the time were showing that the injury wasn't healing ... but he was cleared because he supposedly couldn't hurt himself any further. Even if Manu would have returned without going down in Beijing, he was going under the knife anyways.

If you want to use even more hindsight, with Manu helping out all season, Duncan likely doesn't have to carry the team on his own and he's probably healthier than he is right now. So yeah, the latest round of international basketball screwed the Spurs something vicious.

All that said, I don't blame Manu for playing for Argentina. TD would have played for the Virgin Islands in the same situation. TP would have played for France. Pop would coach for the US. Bowen would play for the US. David Robinson would and did play for the US. This team is good at winning because they don't back down for challenges and put nothing ahead of winning. Manu knew that he could lose millions upon millions of dollars by playing. In fact, the Spurs told him they'd give him a $20M+ extension if he just didn't play for Argentina. But, in true Spur fashion, the hunger of winning ultimately meant more to him than money.

You blame Manu for playing, you go against the very fiber of the Spurs championship banners.

But that doesn't mean I'd shed a tear if international basketball was outlawed :)

I think that's BS from Harvey. He wrote that piece way way way after the fact, trying to justify (or discredit) something.

Manu's surgery wasn't imminent when the Spurs season ended. They would have just let him lay around healing on his own all summer. That surgery wouldn't have happened until he had an injury like he did in the Olympics--and that probably wouldn't have been until the season started if he didn't go to Beijing.

For the night...http://www.slaphappysusan.com/macys_couch_450.jpg

ElNono
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
All we need now is for TP to hurt himself while representing France, a country neither of his parents was from, in the global national masturbation contest.

He already hurt himself playing for France. Fractured a finger. He still lives.

Marcus Bryant
He already hurt himself playing for France. Fractured a finger. He still lives.

Luck.

ElNono
For the night...http://www.slaphappysusan.com/macys_couch_450.jpg

:lol

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Not to worsen any marital strife, but I'm with LJ on this one.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Should the players be allowed to train on a basketball court in the offseason or play pick up games with other pros in order to work on their game?

That's always a question I always wonder when people start talking about the Olympics. In the offseason, a huge group on NBA guys play in camps put on by Grgurich and the like. Or play in organized games at UCLA every single day of the summer. Do people who think that they shouldn't play in the Olympics, think they shouldn't play in those games either?

ElNono
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
That's always a question I always wonder when people start talking about the Olympics. In the offseason, a huge group on NBA guys play in camps put on by Grgurich and the like. Or play in organized games at UCLA every single day of the summer. Do people who think that they shouldn't play in the Olympics, think they shouldn't play in those games either?

Shit, Kobe was jumping over cars when he wasn't playing for Team USA! :lol

EricB
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I watch the Olympics to watch players play for their Country. Granted some NBA players don't have the pride that David Robinson has.

Good use college amateurs then.

MB20
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
What´s done is done. Suck it up and look ahead.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
I'm in favor of amateurs playing...something weird about mixing PROS with it..

I ultimately don't give a shit about the Olympics...and never bought into the whole "they represent us" B.S. yeah, yeah, our athletes kick ass, we don't need the Olympics to really prove that.
in America it's seen as more of a hyped up television sports special in a Summer that normally would be filled with t.v. reruns. Fuck the Olympics.

Marcus Bryant
The competition isn't as intense and therefore more likely for significant injuries. Plus not participating in the Olympics allows more time for the player to rest.

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM
NBA players should not be allowed to play Golf, or bowl or go fishing, or even go on an outdoor picnic for they could easily mess up a shoulder or God forbid they get an infection while baiting a hook. It must be only official NBA business or nothing!!

Budkin
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM
:tu

kace
04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Manu knew that he could lose millions upon millions of dollars by playing. In fact, the Spurs told him they'd give him a $20M+ extension if he just didn't play for Argentina.

are you serious ? i missed it if that's the case.

timvp
04-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Manu's surgery wasn't imminent when the Spurs season ended. They would have just let him lay around healing on his own all summer. That surgery wouldn't have happened until he had an injury like he did in the Olympics--and that probably wouldn't have been until the season started if he didn't go to Beijing.Disagree. :married:

At no point was there an MRI that showed the injury healing. The only thing the MRIs were showing was that Manu couldn't further hurt the injury ... since the source of pain was an impingement and not something structurally wrong. They were going to have to go in and fix that impingement before the start of the season.

The Spurs knew the possible result of Manu playing (basically what we see now). That's why they offered to extend him if they didn't play and why Pop used the media to try to pressure Manu into not playing.

But of course unless Pop is kidnapped and water tortured, we'll probably never get the truth. The "it's great he got hurt at the Olympics!" line was debunked by Harvey ... but then he mysteriously wrote about three apology columns. So it's safe to assume that line is the way the Spurs want the history books to remember the situation.

Perhaps it's true. Just like whether or not this latest injury is related to the first injury ............. we'll never know.

:fight

MB20
04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Monta Ellis comes to mind. Shit happens.

timvp
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
For the night...http://www.slaphappysusan.com/macys_couch_450.jpg:guin

Yet another reason why international basketball sucks . . .

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM

I think that organized, intense international competition is different. Pick-up games, camps, etc. expose guys to some risk, but not as much as actual games.

International competition should be limited to amateurs. Of course if they do that, no one will watch because the best players aren't there.

So if we have to have pro players in these competitions, I think they have to be more judicious about deciding to play. Guys over 30, guys with nagging injuries, and guys who played long into the postseason should all think hard before deciding to play, especially if its going to be serious, intense competition.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
And it's not just that an injury has to occur at the Olympics. The Olympics interfere with a player's ability to rest at some point during the year. For the Spurs this is even more important given that they have had season after season with 100 or so total games.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Disagree. :married:

At no point was there an MRI that showed the injury healing. The only thing the MRIs were showing was that Manu couldn't further hurt the injury ... since the source of pain was an impingement and not something structurally wrong. They were going to have to go in and fix that impingement before the start of the season.

The Spurs knew the possible result of Manu playing (basically what we see now). That's why they offered to extend him if they didn't play and why Pop used the media to try to pressure Manu into not playing.

But of course unless Pop is kidnapped and water tortured, we'll probably never get the truth. The "it's great he got hurt at the Olympics!" line was debunked by Harvey ... but then he mysteriously wrote about three apology columns. So it's safe to assume that line is the way the Spurs want the history books to remember the situation.

Perhaps it's true. Just like whether or not this latest injury is related to the first injury ............. we'll never know.

To be honest with you, Harvey is the same guy that wrote a lot of junk about everything that went on with Scola, so I'll take whatever he writes with a grain of salt. Furthermore, I can't think of a single NBA player that defied Popovich and got away with it. That's just the way Pop is.
While I'm sure Pop would have been happier with Manu not playing in the Olympics, I think he probably understands just as much as you do that Manu needed to be there to defend his gold medal, being the competitive beast he is. And if the doctors would have not cleared him, he wouldn't have let Manu go.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
:guin

Yet another reason why international basketball sucks . . .

Never go to bed angry, or with the tv on international basketball.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Manu did. Pop would fellate TD if asked.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Disagree. :married:

I can't believe that you are buying into Harvey's B.S. article written six months after the fact. The guy has been copying your posts for years, and now you think he's a legit reporter? :downspin:

They never said when the season ended that Manu would need surgery before this season started. It was always understood that he would eventually re-aggravate it and then need surgery. If Manu wouldn't have gone to Beijing, he would have just laying down resting, putting off the inevitable.

Manu's 08-09 season was screwed either way, perhaps to varying degrees.

Anyway, it's time for everyone to wipe away their tears. We have to roll with what we got.

Playoffs are almost here. Man your battle stations.

:flag: http://www.animated-emoticons.eu/smilies/transport/transport10.gif :flag: http://www.animated-emoticons.eu/smilies/transport/transport10.gif :flag: http://www.animated-emoticons.eu/smilies/transport/transport10.gif

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
And it's not just that an injury has to occur at the Olympics. The Olympics interfere with a player's ability to rest at some point during the year. For the Spurs this is even more important given that they have had season after season with 100 or so total games.

You are acting like guys are forced to play in the Olympics (*cough China*). You don't have to change the rule, the players have a choice. Since when can you decide what is better for a player, when the player has their own choice?

What would be wrong is to take that choice away.

timvp
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice. NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER has his own emoticon.

WalterBenitez
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
What an awful thread.

Holy crap, Am I close to agree with a Lakers' fan??? :shootme

ElNono
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Nice. NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER has his own emoticon.

We need that guy to start a thread for this game today...
I'm already browsing for a pic...

MoSpur
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
So, is it okay for American players to play for their country?

I am not saying they shouldn't be allowed to play for their countries. I was just wondering if teams/front offices could put that into a player's contract. I doubt it could be done. I was just wondering though. I had no problem with Manu playing for Argentina.

angel_luv
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Good for him. I hope he does.

I am all for NBA players participating in the Olympics should they choose.

However, to protect the NBA teams, I would support a clause in the player's contract where teams would be able to retain the athlete's salary for whatever period of NBA play the player missed due to an injury received at the Olympics.

Or something like that.

What I am trying to say is that while I believe athletes ought to be allowed to represent their country, I think that freedom ought to come with financial responsibility at the very least.

NO LIMIT ARMY COMMANDER
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
F the Olympics too.

YOU F'IN COMMIE. OFF TO GUANTANAMO YOU GO!

http://www.animated-emoticons.eu/smilies/transport/transport10.gif

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2007/06/29/guantanamo460x300.jpg

ElNono
04-07-2009, 02:38 PM
However, to protect the NBA teams, I would support a clause in the player's contract where teams would be able to retain the athlete's salary for whatever period of NBA play the player missed due to an injury received at the Olympics.

To some varying degree they already do. NBA players must get insurance in order to play in these competitions. I'm not privy exactly to what kind of insurance that needs to be, specifically, but I do recall the CABB had to go knock on a few sponsor doors in order to get enough money to pay for Ginobili's insurance.

ducks
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
F the Olympics too.

I agree

angel_luv
04-07-2009, 02:40 PM
To some varying degree they already do. NBA players must get insurance in order to play in these competitions. I'm not privy exactly to what kind of insurance that needs to be, specifically, but I do recall the CABB had to go knock on a few sponsor doors in order to get enough money to pay for Ginobili's insurance.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you for posting. :)

Duncan74
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM

I completely agree. It was bound to happen just a matter of when!

G-Nob
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
In fact, the Spurs told him they'd give him a $20M+ extension if he just didn't play for Argentina.

I thought that was against nba rules?

ducks
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

well when spurs low ball him he better not rip the spurs and accept a very low salary he turned the money down to play in the games
and he will pay now

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 03:00 PM
well when spurs low ball him he better not rip the spurs and accept a very low salary he turned the money down to play in the games
and he will pay now

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/dia/images/DuckHunt.jpg

timvp
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I thought that was against nba rules?

What part would be against the rules?

spurster
04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
I think basketball players from other countries view international basketball as their own version of Soccer's World Cup. Obviously, basketball is not as popular worldwide as soccer, but I think the players have the same amount of pride and passion. This is what you are going to get with good international players, and all the whining on here isn't going to change a damn thing about it.

MoSpur
04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't see the Spurs negotiating anything with Manu until after his contract ends.

quickerblade
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
A Gold Medal representing my Country would mean more to me than an NBA title. But that is just me.

that's total bullshit.
an olympic medal means fuck all compared to a championship ring.

Im sure charles barkely wears his gold medal everywhere.

Tacker
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
F the Olympics too.

sorry for being off topic but HOLY CRAP 1 million posts????

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 03:22 PM
sorry for being off topic but HOLY CRAP 1 million posts????

Subtract 1 million. Then what you have left over is the total - 5000 repeated " I hate Spurs fans" posts.

JoeChalupa
04-07-2009, 03:23 PM
that's total bullshit.

I said for ME and I don't give a damn what charles barkley thinks.

mountainballer
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
jesus, what a nonsense.

hey, why not close the NBA for international players?
no more problems with players going to the olympics and world championships during summer.
ah, and US sends only the college kids to this competitions and tell the world that an olympics medal doesn't mean much. well, not in basketball. swimming still counts. or do you want that Michael Phelps also stays at home?

and MB, of course your man Mr. Steven Gerrard also won't play for the national team any more. I will love to see the fans reaction around England when he declares his retirement from the team at 28, because he fears to get injured in international play. he won't need to leave Anfield to learn how being booed by 50.000 sounds. he will walk alone.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Subtract 1 million. Then what you have left over is the total - 5000 repeated " I hate Spurs fans" posts.

I thought most of my posts were draft threads? :wtf

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I thought most of my posts were draft threads? :wtf

Even when you subtract 1 million, then another 5000, that still leaves a lot of good solid post by a wide margin.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
jesus, what a nonsense.

no more problems with players going to the olympics and world championships during summer.
ah, and US sends only the college kids to this competitions and tell the world that an olympics medal doesn't mean much. well, not in basketball. swimming still counts. or do you want that Michael Phelps also stays at home?

The Olympics are the premiere event for swimming. In basketball, they are not.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
jesus, what a nonsense.

Christ man I don't give a shit about Phelps.

and MB, of course your man Mr. Steven Gerrard also won't play for the national team any more. I will love to see the fans reaction around England when he declares his retirement from the team at 28, because he fears to get injured in international play. he won't need to leave Anfield to learn how being booed by 50.000 sounds. he will walk alone.

F English fans.

rayray2k8
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
The surgically repaired ankle was fine. It was the
OTHER ankle that gave out.
Was that your point??

baseline bum
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Fuck the Olympics. Don't give me any garbage about how much it means to Americans either after the way the country threw Michael Phelps under the bus for being photographed with a freaking bong.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
The surgically repaired ankle was fine. It was the
OTHER ankle that gave out.
Was that your point??

You don't believe that was an injury due to overcompensating one ankle for the other? That's the point. Another is that he could have started the healing process much earlier and avoided this mess.

StoneBuddha
04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
that's total bullshit.

Well, for US players, a gold medal was a bit of coronation more than a competition in the past. For an Argentinian, Slovenian, etc, I think a gold medal means more than an NBA title. For sure, it represents a bigger accomplishment.

Now that a gold medal isn't an automatic, you can see the US players taking more pride in winning it. Still, most would probably view an NBA title has more significant.

I think a lot of it is cultural.

StoneBuddha
04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
In fact, the Spurs told him they'd give him a $20M+ extension if he just didn't play for Argentina.

Has this been confirmed somewhere? I could see the Spurs making an offer like this, but I just haven't seen it reported anywhere.

And BTW, I agree. I cannot fault Manu or any of the guys for playing in the Olympics. They are simply putting their countries ahead of their jobs.

Bukefal
04-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Why?? What a BS. Its a matter of pride to play for your country, you dont want foreign players to play for their Nt's but you dont mind americans playing for usa team?? lol

It's great we have national teams and its wonderful big players in the nba want and can play for the national teams. That sometimes one of those players comes out of nt games with a injury, well, that's just bad luck. it could have happen in other games too.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Why?? What a BS. Its a matter of pride to play for your country, you dont want foreign players to play for their Nt's but you dont mind americans playing for usa team?? lol

It's great we have national teams and its wonderful big players in the nba want and can play for the national teams. That sometimes one of those players comes out of nt games with a injury, well, that's just bad luck. it could have happen in other games too.

What part of "No Spur Should Ever Play For Their National Team Again" does not include US players?

mexicanjunior
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Had Lebron, Kobe, or any of the other franchise players on last year's team blown an ACL, you would be hearing alot more complaints from the American side...

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Had Lebron, Kobe, or any of the other franchise players on last year's team blown an ACL, you would be hearing alot more complaints from the American side...

It is not like the Olympics is a new phenomenon. They have been around for a while and plenty of Amercians have played in them.

mexicanjunior
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
It is not like the Olympics is a new phenomenon. They have been around for a while and plenty of Amercians have played in them.

And we have been very fortunate no season ending injuries for the NBA players have come from them...it is only a matter of time though.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
And we have been very fortunate no season ending injuries for the NBA players have come from them...it is only a matter of time though.

You do not think this was ever considered? Why complain now? Jordan along with many others have played and were willing to risk it.

SpursFanFirst
04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I think the team should have a say in what their athlete gets involved in, but to want to ban players from playing for their countries - I strongly disagree.

I know most are angry that Manu is now out for the playoffs, but some people really need to get a grip.
As I said in another thread, it seems as though Manu's injury was a ticking time bomb. At least he had a fighting chance with it happening in the offseason.

Manu's out. Time to move on.

Spurs Brazil
04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Manu brother Leandro told to Clarin, Argentina newspaper that the Spurs told Manu to skip the Olympics but Manu decided to pay and now is paying the price.

Segundo Leandro, seu irmão se machucou na semifinal dos Jogos Olímpicos, contra os Estados Unidos. “A direção do San Antonio disse que ele poderia ter este problema, mas ele (Manu) insistiu em ir para os Jogos Olímpicos”, relatou. “Agora terá que pagar as consequências de ter defendido a camisa argentina.”

He also said the Spurs will put a clause in his next contract that will keep him out of Argentina NT

“Quando Manu for renovar contrato, posso dizer, seguramente, que o San Antonio pedirá, por meio de uma cláusula, que ele não volte a defender a seleção argentina”, afirmou Leandro.

I think our friends from Argentina can give us more details on this.

This link is in Portuguese: http://playoff.uol.com.br/nba/leandro-gin%C3%B3bili-diz-que-irm%C3%A3o-sofre-por-ter-defendido-argentina

ploto
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
In the offseason, a huge group on NBA guys play in camps put on by Grgurich and the like. Or play in organized games at UCLA every single day of the summer. Do people who think that they shouldn't play in the Olympics, think they shouldn't play in those games either?

The stuff that goes on in Houston in the off-season seems more likely to cause an injury than FIBA games.

Also, I believe that Manu would never have signed the second contract with the Spurs if they said he could not go back to his National Team.

DAF86
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Manu brother Leandro told to Clarin, Argentina newspaper that the Spurs told Manu to skip the Olympics but Manu decided to pay and now is paying the price.

He also said the Spurs will put a clause in his next contract that will keep him out of Argentina NT

I think our friends from Argentina can give us more details on this.

This link is in Portuguese: http://playoff.uol.com.br/nba/leandro-gin%C3%B3bili-diz-que-irm%C3%A3o-sofre-por-ter-defendido-argentina

I think that could be the only thing that would prevent Manu from re-signing with the Spurs.

mexicanjunior
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
You do not think this was ever considered? Why complain now?

Because it possibly affected the Spurs chances to compete for a championship this year...Fans of a team losing Kobe, Lebron or Wade due to olympic injury would do no different.

DAF86
04-07-2009, 06:22 PM
that's total bullshit.

Ask Manu if he feels the same way.

Mel_13
04-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I think that could be the only thing that would prevent Manu from re-signing with the Spurs.

As much as I love what Manu has given to the Spurs, if he is not willing to retire from the National Team at this point then I do not see the Spurs signing him again. And that would be a sad, sad day.

IronMexican
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM

You fucking serious?

A US Gold Medal means absolutely nothing to me.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Two more years of Tim Duncan's career wasted.

DAF86
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
As much as I love what Manu has given to the Spurs, if he is not willing to retire from the National Team at this point then I do not see the Spurs signing him again. And that would be a sad, sad day.

If he accepts a major salary reduction I think they will. And one thing is for sure, Manu would much rather play for the Spurs for free than the Bobcats for a billion dollars.

Mel_13
04-07-2009, 06:40 PM
If he accepts a major salary reduction I think they will. And one thing is for sure, Manu would much rather play for the Spurs for free than the Bobcats for a billion dollars.

We'll see, I certainly hope so. I had no problem with Manu playing in Beijing. Seeing the pride and joy on his face as he carried his country's flag in the opening ceremony only increased my appreciation for him. But all things have their time and, IMO, if Manu is to have several more productive years in the NBA, he must be willing to end his association with the National Team.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry MB but what costed the spurs this was their own ownership by not bringing in enough talent to surrond the big 3.
when the rest of the league got stronger last year and this year, all the spurs did was save money and just over load TD,Manu and TP's jobs.

Very well. See my other thread. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121982)

Mal
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Great, he`s coming to my hometown for EuroChampionship :toast

Muser
04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I said it in the other thread, being chosen to play for your country is a huge honour. Stop this bullshit.

barbacoataco
04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
"Hindsight is 20/20"

The real question to me is whether Ginobili would have had the surgery earlier if he hadn't played in the summer. I don't think anyone knows that.

In general I'm in favor of international competition like the Olympics, World Baseball Classic, etc. However, it is an issue when VERY high paid superstars hurt themselves in the offseason. More importantly, they don't get a chance to rest in the off-season, which is an important part of staying healthy. Pick-up games are not the same as competition.

As usual, I see both sides of this issue.

superfedja
04-07-2009, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=Kori Ellis;3266499]I don't think Manu playing in the Olympics was necessarily his downfall this year.
=QUOTE]

It's a stress fracture ... definitely related to playing too much basket-ball, and not playing in the olympics would have definitely helped anyway you slice it, sorry kori but you're wrong on this one... he needed to rest that ankle, he didnt listen to his body and decided to play in the playoffs and then to play in the olympics, sorry but this is all on manu ... he's responsible for his health

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
F the Olympics too.

That's a bullshit thesis MB, and usually you put more thought into your thread-starting post.

Just because a player signs an NBA contract does not mean the team owns his soul. For many sportsmen/women the chance to play for their country represents the pinnacle of their careers, and wanting to deny them that because they play for a professional team is just being selfish. Whilst many around here may not agree, the Spurs are not the only thing in the Universe that has importance.

Also, Manu's injury was there before the Olympics. Injuries happen at any time - practice, pre-season, regular season, playoffs, mucking around with mates - it's just luck of the draw.

A better idea is how about shortening the NBA season? 82 games is utterly absurd. How about 58 games - you play every other team home and away and then it's done. Or even 62 games - you play the teams in your division 3 times to help with tie-breakers.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
F those who disagree with me too.

Brazil
04-07-2009, 10:03 PM

at

Brazil
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM

at least its clear :lol

peskypesky
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM

No offense, Kori, but that is some poor logic.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Try making a decent argument.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Ginobili needed last summer to rest and get well. Instead he went off to play for some bullshit nationalistic nonsense. And his latest injury certainly looks like it was due to overcompensating for his other ankle.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Try making a decent argument.

F that.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Ginobili needed last summer to rest and get well. Instead he went off to play for some bullshit nationalistic nonsense. And his latest injury certainly looks like it was due to overcompensating for his other ankle.

Opinion.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
F that.

Sequ :sequ

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
F that.

Okay then, I'm finished here. :lol

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Silly me. Clearly Ginobili's health benefited from playing last summer instead of resting, not to mention the time it took for him to come back, as well as the actual return to full speed.

I hope the Argentine jingoism was worth it. Then again, they've been looking for their manhood since the Falklands debacle.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Silly me. Clearly Ginobili's health benefited from playing last summer instead of resting, not to mention the time it took for him to come back, as well as the actual return to full speed.

Silly you. Manu was going under the knife anyways, Olympics or not.

I hope the Argentine jingoism was worth it. Then again, they've been looking for their manhood since the Falklands debacle.

Manhood talk from a guy with Gerrard the pussy in his avatar really says it all.

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Silly you. Manu was going under the knife anyways, Olympics or not.

Manhood talk from a guy with Gerrard the pussy in his avatar really says it all.

Say what you want about MB's take on the Spurs, but DO NOT ATTACK GERRARD.

Marcus Bryant
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Great. He has an injury requiring surgery on a ligament but he should go F it up some more?

Gerrard has bigger stones than all of Argentina.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Say what you want about MB's take on the Spurs, but DO NOT ATTACK GERRARD.

Please. Gerrard is a pussy that can't take England anywhere. Pretty much like any other brit since '66.