PDA

View Full Version : Phi Beta Kappa

usckk
04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Anyone heard about this Honors Society? Or is a member?

Summers
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
RandomGuy is a member.

SpursWoman
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm Alpha Chi & Delta Mu Delta, no Phi Beta Kappa. :)

If you were nominated, I'd definitely accept though ... you get a cool little sticker on your diploma. :tu :lol

easjer
04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Phi Beta Kappa is legit.

I opted not to join personally, but the chapter at UH wasn't active at all.

ashbeeigh
04-07-2009, 04:32 PM
The more honors societies the more little thingies you get to wear during graduation. :tu I had three... Alpha Mu Gamma, Psi Chi, and another one I can't remember..it was the honors society for freshmen (because I was a bad ass freshmen year then discovered alcohol).

usckk
04-07-2009, 05:01 PM
The more honors societies the more little thingies you get to wear during graduation. :tu I had three... Alpha Mu Gamma, Psi Chi, and another one I can't remember..it was the honors society for freshmen (because I was a bad ass freshmen year then discovered alcohol).

Haha.

Also, can you all explain to me the concept of a Honors Society? All these societies are based on GPA. Why would one join if grad school admission committee can see one's GPA?

ashbeeigh
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Haha.

Also, can you all explain to me the concept of a Honors Society? All these societies are based on GPA. Why would one join if grad school admission committee can see one's GPA?

A lot of Honors Societies require you to go to meetings, do some extra activities, etc. It just shows you're willing to participate in activities that are related to you expertise. Lots of the Honors Societies also have conferences and conventions to show off research and stuff (I replaced that..I had crap before).

Like for me, I went to a super small school and already knew everyone who had the same major as me, so it joining the Honors society was just an excuse to socialize and have a party afterwards. But, if you go to a large school where it's not necessarily hard, but there's lots of people, it gives you a chance to get to know people with lots of the same interests (take Renaldo Balkman's problems a few weeks back).

Psi Chi had regional conventions that had coveted presentation spots. Honors Societies may also hook you up with Grad School scholarships. Grad Schools don't only look at your GPA. Experience, volunteering, and GPA all combine to make a perfect candidate.

That's why I'm just now trying to figure out what I'm going to get my masters in (Public Administration, Social Work, Non-Profit management...oh my!)

Not to mention, later on it pads your resume for when you start looking for jobs. What happens if the HR person happens to see you were in that honors society and so were you? You have an in.

peewee's lovechild
04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm Phi Alpha Theta.

Is Phi Beta Kappa the one where you have to do step dancing or risk getting served?

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2009, 05:52 PM
:lol

all those things were for the insecure smart kids.

I was like...uhhh...no thanks...if I joined I would feel obligated to invite you to my parties and...uhhh....that ain't happening...:lol

SpursWoman
04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
:lol @ insecure

ploto
04-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I get invites still to all kinds of Honor Societies that mostly seem to want money for my membership, but Phi Beta Kappa I would recommend joining.

robino2001
04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
I think I was in this one... I was invited to one, was inducted (never went to the induction) and never participated in meetings or anything. I believe it got me a sizable car insurance discount even after I graduated because of some random flyers - so that's reason enough :lol

JoeChalupa
04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I was a Phee Phi Pho Phum. :(

mrsmaalox
04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm Beta Beta Beta and Phi Lambda Upsilon. Not much to it really.

Summers
04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
On another note, Fraternities are possibly the most homosexual things created, and I rather live in a basement isolated from the world with little to no oxygen than be in a fraternity.

Living alone in a basement is more gay than going to frat parties? Do you have any idea what happens at frat parties?

mrsmaalox
04-08-2009, 10:04 AM
On another note, Fraternities are possibly the most homosexual things created, and I rather live in a basement isolated from the world with little to no oxygen than be in a fraternity.

I wouldn't be so sure. On my campus the most active frats were "Tappa Keg" and "Phelta Thi" :lol