PDA

View Full Version : Duncan VS KG End of Debate

dbreiden83080
03-17-2005, 12:40 PM
I really hope that this game goes along way to ending the idiotic debate of who is better Duncan or KG. I am amazed that people out there still think that KG is better when TD has accomplished so much more in his career than KG it is not even close. I even heard Dr. Jack Ramsey say he would take KG over Duncan because he is a little more athletic, give me a break. Duncan is stronger, more fundamentally sound a better defender and shot blocker and all in all a better team player than KG because his style of play draws constant double teams giving his guys wide open shots. I think KG is a great player but even Tim Legler said it last night on the ESPN telecast he is mainly a jumpshooter who does not draw double teams.
Facts are TD at 28 same age as KG 2 mvp's and 2 titles with hopefully a third on the way this year, Kg 0 titles 1 mvp only 1 time out of the first round and probably out of the playoffs altogether this year. KG quit on his team tonight his butt was on the bench the whole 4th qtr when the game was still in doubt, that is not the actions of a great leader they are the actions of a coward and a quitter. I also don't want to hear oh it was Mchales decision to bench him, please KG is a superstar if he went to Mchale and said put me back in he's going in, he just quit on himself and his team.

leemajors
03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
i agree duncan is better, but garnett was limping around and has had a knee injury this whole season. he sat because the game was over and he is hurt. end of story.

MaNuMaNiAc
03-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I really hope that this game goes along way to ending the idiotic debate of who is better Duncan or KG. I am amazed that people out there still think that KG is better when TD has accomplished so much more in his career than KG it is not even close. I even heard Dr. Jack Ramsey say he would take KG over Duncan because he is a little more athletic, give me a break. Duncan is stronger, more fundamentally sound a better defender and shot blocker and all in all a better team player than KG because his style of play draws constant double teams giving his guys wide open shots. I think KG is a great player but even Tim Legler said it last night on the ESPN telecast he is mainly a jumpshooter who does not draw double teams.
Facts are TD at 28 same age as KG 2 mvp's and 2 titles with hopefully a third on the way this year, Kg 0 titles 1 mvp only 1 time out of the first round and probably out of the playoffs altogether this year. KG quit on his team tonight his butt was on the bench the whole 4th qtr when the game was still in doubt, that is not the actions of a great leader they are the actions of a coward and a quitter. I also don't want to hear oh it was Mchales decision to bench him, please KG is a superstar if he went to Mchale and said put me back in he's going in, he just quit on himself and his team.
I agree that Tim Duncan is better, but you're just making a fool of yourself with that statement. If he was injured, no matter how much he wanted to play, he wouldn't have been able to. Think before you post.

dbreiden83080
03-17-2005, 02:57 PM
"I agree that Tim Duncan is better, but you're just making a fool of yourself with that statement. If he was injured, no matter how much he wanted to play, he wouldn't have been able to. Think before you post."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think before i post, he was injured what the hell are you talking about. KG played 40 minutes in a win over Dallas the night before he was not too hurt to play in that game he also has not missed a game all year jackass. Don't start the game and then sit on the bench all 4th qtr Duncan and Parker are both banged up as well and they played the whole game you gotta come stronger than that my man because that arguement is just plain weak.

benjirh
03-17-2005, 03:22 PM
I think KG is a great player but even Tim Legler said it last night on the ESPN telecast he is mainly a jumpshooter who does not draw double teams. KG quit on his team tonight his butt was on the bench the whole 4th qtr when the game was still in doubt, that is not the actions of a great leader they are the actions of a coward and a quitter.

I am a huge timmy fan. I believe that he is better than KG and will be known for being better. But you obviously have no idea of KG if you question his heart. This guy gives his all and is the soul of that team. That game would have been a 30 point blowout if KG didn't keep them in it in the 1st quarter. And why would you play your star if you are down by almost 20 in the fourth. Plus with your rationale you are saying Duncan is a coward because he didn't play against the suns on their back to back.

dbreiden83080
03-17-2005, 07:36 PM
The Spurs had a 13 point lead with around 8 minutes to play not 20 and 8 minutes is a lifetime hell mcgrady scored 13 pts in 33 seconds, so don't tell me the game is over cause it was not even close to over. 2nd in regard to your point about Duncan not playing in the suns game, Duncan was not healthy enough to start in that game. KG was healthy enough to start and he did not go out with an injury he'll be right back starting next game. My point he needed to be out there in the 4th and instead he chose to sit on the bench and sulk he looked like he was about to cry, get your butt off the bench and do something about it, and yes i agree KG does have heart and passion but if this was your one and only time seeing KG you sure didn't come away from that game thinking he's all heart, guys who are all heart leave it all on the floor not the bench.

T Park
03-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Kg has the talent, he just doesnt have the "guts"

he has heart, he just doesn't have "it"

like DUncan has.

Duncan, for as much as he can pussyfoot around and piss us off.

When he WANTS to, Duncan is the most unstopable force in the NBA, and I hope to god he can play another 8 or 9 years for this team, cause when those years are done?

This team could enter a phase of some mediocre seasons.

sickdsm
03-17-2005, 08:01 PM
He was resting KG, when the time came to put him back in it wasn't worth it anymore. He always gets one of his two big rests in the fourth.

I saw triple teams swarming on KG last night whenever he was in the paint. But i guess your right on the doubles. As a matter of fact, thats one of the main reasons why the wolves are struggling this year. Doubles and triples consistantly come upon him and noone is doing anything to make the opposing team pay.

03/04 24.2 PPG 49.9% 13.9 RPG 5.0 APG 19.7 FGA 5.7 FTA 39.4 MPG
04/05 22.2 PPG 49.9% 13.7 RPG 5.6 APG 13.7 FGA 6.6 FTA 38.7 MPG

You'll see that in less minutes he's averaging significantly more assists than last year (0.6 is a big jump for a bigman), only avergaing 2 PPG less while taking SIX fewer shots a game. He's getting to the line more often and doing similar in rebounds. The only conclusion one can come from that is his teamates aren't producing (which they aren't), the doubles and triples ARE coming (which they are, why wouldn't they? You're scared of Hudson and Spree beating you?) and he has to get rid of the ball much more often (which is obvious when you put together his 6 fewer FGA AND his higher assists).

So for those that say KG is stinking up the joint this year, go check yourself. He's not that far off his MVP year last year numberwise. Its, once again, his supporting cast.

exstatic
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
He always gets one of his two big rests in the fourth.
That sounds like a "coaching issue". Why on earth would you give your franchise player "one of his two big rests" anytime in the fourth?

So for those that say KG is stinking up the joint this year, go check yourself. He's not that far off his MVP year last year numberwise. Its, once again, his supporting cast.

And his defense, or lack thereof.

E20
03-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Duncan >> KG

Duncan is 2 rings and an MVP title ahead of KG.

thispego
03-17-2005, 08:17 PM
"I agree that Tim Duncan is better, but you're just making a fool of yourself with that statement. If he was injured, no matter how much he wanted to play, he wouldn't have been able to. Think before you post."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think before i post, he was injured what the hell are you talking about. KG played 40 minutes in a win over Dallas the night before he was not too hurt to play in that game he also has not missed a game all year jackass. Don't start the game and then sit on the bench all 4th qtr Duncan and Parker are both banged up as well and they played the whole game you gotta come stronger than that my man because that arguement is just plain weak.

KG has to shoot up in his knee every night before a game man. The guy is broken down and I'm surprised he was able to play as long as he did last night on the tail end of a back to back, having played 40 the nhight before. KG DOES have the heart, just sometimes his body can't deliver, that's what happens when you're the only one on your team who seems to care.

benjirh
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
My point he needed to be out there in the 4th and instead he chose to sit on the bench and sulk he looked like he was about to cry, get your butt off the bench and do something about it, and yes i agree KG does have heart and passion but if this was your one and only time seeing KG you sure didn't come away from that game thinking he's all heart, guys who are all heart leave it all on the floor not the bench.

I concur to your earlier point that the game was not over. Plus I don't like to think about McGrady's infamous 33 secs. I guess I just felt like he looked beat in the 4th. Here is a guy that has literally carried this team, not only on the court, but also through all the media turmoil. He averages 6 more minutes a game than TD and is beat up. That is why I feel that his lack of PT in the fourth wasn't about giving up but more about being drained. The other thing is that I have watched Garnett before and it sounds like you have too. And everything I have seen about this guy keeps me from thinking he just quit. If his name was Carmelo or Vince I would possibly think otherwise.

TDfan2007
03-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Kg has the talent, he just doesnt have the "guts"

he has heart, he just doesn't have "it"

like DUncan has.

Duncan, for as much as he can pussyfoot around and piss us off.

When he WANTS to, Duncan is the most unstopable force in the NBA, and I hope to god he can play another 8 or 9 years for this team, cause when those years are done?

This team could enter a phase of some mediocre seasons.

couldn't agree w/ you more

san antonio spurs
03-18-2005, 04:22 AM
that's the class we're talkin' about spurs fans.
they know timmy is the best, they don't kill KG but feel for him.
good posts.
dude's good, very good, he just lacks THAT thing that TD has.
________
Zoloft Sickness (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

samikeyp
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
This reinforces the point I have always made.

KG is a better athlete, Duncan is a better basketball player.

mookie2001
03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
theres always been no arguement to me
theyre both cold but the edge goes to duncan because of the accomplishments

MannyIsGod
03-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Put Garnett on the 03 or 99 squads and both teams still win titles.

I hate him, but the reason he hasn't won a title yet isn't because he's worse than Duncan, it's because he's had worse teams.

TDfan2007
03-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Put Garnett on the 03 or 99 squads and both teams still win titles.

I hate him, but the reason he hasn't won a title yet isn't because he's worse than Duncan, it's because he's had worse teams.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

so you're saying that last year's T'wolves weren't as good as our 02-03 Spurs?

Tim is a better basketball player than KG. He may not be as athletic but he is a better player. Garnett may get more assists, but Tim makes his teammates better as well. Tim is a much better defensive player, has a better post game, and demands constant double teams.

ALVAREZ6
03-18-2005, 07:25 PM

1 word....SHAQ.

No one is more unstoppable than Shaq.

There's no stoppin' Shaq...sorry.

I'd say Duncan is #2.

sickdsm
03-18-2005, 07:33 PM
so you're saying that last year's T'wolves weren't as good as our 02-03 Spurs?

Tim is a better basketball player than KG. He may not be as athletic but he is a better player. Garnett may get more assists, but Tim makes his teammates better as well. Tim is a much better defensive player, has a better post game, and demands constant double teams.

Name me one player with the baggage, age and inadequecy's that Cassell has that Duncan has turned into an all-star.

TDfan2007
03-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Name me one player with the baggage, age and inadequecy's that Cassell has that Duncan has turned into an all-star.

wtf?

Sam Cassel scored a lot of his points on isolation plays and pull up jumpers from mid range.

And if you want to go that route, Tim has turned Manu into an all-star and tony should be one.

sickdsm
03-18-2005, 10:35 PM
What inadequacies do they possess? Too......Young? Quick???? I'm not following you there.

Find me an old dog on the last few years of his career where the questions of defense, teamplay AND unwilingness to practice have followed him throughout that Tim or anyone for that matter has turned into an allstar for the first time.

I mean, if you so smart to think sam did everything by himself, it'd obviously be easier for him to get his iso's and pull ups on the many crappy teams he's played on.

Take tonights statline for example. KG gets rediculed for not being good enough to win when Wally and Trenton combine for 50 minutes, 2 of 13 for 5 points.

KG meanwhile must have had his typcially "off" game.

30 Pts, 19 Rebs, 6 Asts, 12-17 FG, 5-6 FT, 2 Bks, 1 TO
while holding Brian Cardinal (granted it is him but he's been great since Pau's been out) to 1-9 for 3 pts in 30 minutes

TDfan2007
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM
bottom line is that Tim has 2 championship rings to KG's 0.

And he won one of those championships w/ out any all-stars on the team. KG had cassel who was having a career year (and yes, part of it was KG's presense), he had Spree who was having a pretty good year as well, and he had wally. Still couldn't get the championship.

boutons
03-19-2005, 12:24 AM
"he won one of those championships w/ out any all-stars on the team."

Both Tim's championships had All-star Dave Robinson.

mookie2001
03-19-2005, 12:37 AM
marbury all star
sczerbiak all star too

MannyIsGod
03-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, the team Minnesota had last year was not as good as either of the title teams.

When Garnett plays with another player who is going to the Hall Of Fame as a NBA Top 50, this will be a valid arguement. Untill then the only person who continues to buy into this idiocy will be you.

Enjoy.

leemajors
03-19-2005, 12:41 AM
cassell has always been a really good offensive player- he has always been a lights out shooter with no d skills, thus making it pretty hard to be an all star. he has 2 rings and is pretty much the only reason kg got as far as he did last year

baseline bum
03-19-2005, 12:49 AM
KG was unquestionably the best player in the league last year by a mile, but he has to take a lot of blame for this season. David Robinson never let his team fall apart like this, with much worse supporting casts. Duncan had a couple of pretty weak teams around him in 2001 and 2002 (David really fell off fast after his amazing 1999-2000 season and DA was almost as bad a defensive player as his successor, Steve Smith) -- yet, the Spurs still managed to win the division both seasons. If Garnett doesn't pull this team out of its tailspin I'm going to lose a ton of respect for him. If Garnett ever wants to be regarded with Jordan, Bird, Abdul-Jabbar, Dr. J, Shaq, Magic, Duncan, Isiah, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, etc. he better find a way to pull that team out of the shitter. Until this season I thought Garnett was in that class, but for him to let his team do this shit is unacceptable. BTW, this season has proved Kobe doesn't belong there either while reinforcing that Shaq is unquestionably deserving of being compared to all of those guys.

TDfan2007
03-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Yes, the team Minnesota had last year was not as good as either of the title teams.

When Garnett plays with another player who is going to the Hall Of Fame as a NBA Top 50, this will be a valid arguement. Untill then the only person who continues to buy into this idiocy will be you.

Enjoy.

umm... David was at the twilight of his career in 02-03. He was our defensive anchor, but provided next to nothing offensively and he definetely not an all-star that season. He also missed a lot of games that season due to injury.

MannyIsGod
03-19-2005, 01:50 AM
Yes, but in addition to David, Tim also had an incredible cast around him with Tony Parker , Manu Ginobili (2 current all start players) as well as veterans like Steve Kerr and Danny Ferry.

You are selling Garnett way short. I can see that and I have very little love for him.

IcemanCometh
03-19-2005, 02:09 AM
garnett=duncan