PDA

View Full Version : Big Shaq headed to Big D?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2009, 07:10 PM
by Bob Young - Apr. 7, 2009 04:04 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Big Texan?

The Big Shaq-adillo?

The Big D-sel?

OK, maybe they're jumping the gun a bit, but speculation is ramping up that O'Neal is angling to be moved to the Dallas Mavericks in the off-season.

DallasBasketball.com reported Wednesday that O'Neal is telling friends he wants Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to make it happen.

The report quotes an un-named "mutual friend" of Shaq and Cuban who said O'Neal is making no secret of his desire privately and that after the season "it won't be private anymore."

Of course, adding fuel to this Texas rumor fire is an exchange of "tweets" on Twitter.com between The Big Texter and Cuban, including one in which Shaq asks Cuban to email or call him.

Hey, maybe Shaq just wanted to tell Cuban about that paid party appearance he reportedly did at the Dallas nightclub Dolce Vendetta.

It went until 1 a.m. Sunday morning - with tip-off between the Mavericks and in-dire-straits Suns at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon.

And then there were Shaq's comments after what was supposed to be a monumental game for the Suns that turned into a nationally televised monumental failure against the Mavericks.

"There are two types of business owners," O'Neal said. "Do you want to win or do you want to save money? Period."

He said he didn't know which camp Suns owner Robert Sarver sleeps in, but Cuban spends money.

"I don't think he wants to save money," O'Neal told reporters, including The Republic's Paul Coro. "I've been around 17 years and that's what it is. You either want to win and don't really care about the salary cap, or you want to be under the salary cap.

"At the end of the season, I'm sure everybody will be prepared for whatever happens."

Now, we never said Sarver is in it to save money but if he is interested in managing his future luxury tax costs, he could do it easily by dealing O'Neal to Dallas- assuming that Cuban really has interest.

As one Heat Index regular reader has pointed out, the Suns could trade O'Neal for a package that includes Dallas center Erick Dampier and guard Jerry Stackhouse. Stackhouse's contract expires at the end of next season, but he can be bought out for $2 million of the $7.25 million he is owed.

Dampier is under contract through 2010-11, when he is to receive $13.075 million, but that evidently is not guaranteed either because there are incentive clauses he must meet in 2009-10 to get the last year.

Considering how close the Suns came to moving O'Neal at the February trade deadline and his evident anger about it, there's a lot here that makes sense.

lurker
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
It went until 1 a.m. Sunday morning - with tip-off between the Mavericks and in-dire-straits Suns at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon.
Sounds like a perfect fit for the Mavs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Kerr said the other day he thinks this team can contend next year.....good luck passing that bullshit off to even the dumbest of dumb fans with this trade.

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Fuck yes make this happen. Shaq and Dirk compliment eachother perfectly

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Ima be a bandwagon Mavs fan if that happens just so I can be somewhat happy when Shaq shows all the faggot fairy Nash lovers who the real cancer was this year.

sook
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Please let it happen as if they mavs aren't already a bunch of loose screws. What that team needs is a better PG, not a better C. Bring back Devin or a PG that can shoot lights out, didn't you guys see how good you played vs phoenix when Kidd was shooting well?

Ghazi
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Please let it happen as if they mavs aren't already a bunch of loose screws. What that team needs is a better PG, not a better C. Bring back Devin or a PG that can shoot lights out, didn't you guys see how good you played vs phoenix when Kidd was shooting well?

First you said the Suns were contenders

Then you said Amare > Dirk

Then you compared T-Mac's affect on his team to Manu's on teh Spurs

And now this bullshit

Shut the fuck up.

IronMexican
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Shaq would be awesome in Dallas. I'd become a bandwagon Mav fan.

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Wow, you really don't know basketball. Lack of post scoring has been the biggest thorn in the Mavericks' side for years.

baseline bum
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM

One's a big vagina, and the other's a huge asshole. They'd be perfect next to each other!

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
One's a big vagina, and the other's a huge asshole. They'd be perfect next to each other!

I thought you used to be a good poster?

rAm
04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
:lol

ginobili's bald spot
04-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Ima be a bandwagon Mavs fan if that happens just so I can be somewhat happy when Shaq shows all the faggot fairy Nash lovers who the real cancer was this year.

But but at least Nash will be "having fun". That's priority #1 for him.

Ghazi
04-07-2009, 07:35 PM
If Mavs had a shot next year they need an infusion of talent w/o giving anything up. thats how you get good in this league.

The Celtics turned a young promising big draft picks and scrubs into 2 hall of famer

the Lakers turned some irrelevant draft picks and scrubs into Pau gasol

The Cavs gave up a pile of shit for Mo Williams.

The Spurs tanked and added a franchise big to a 50 win team ;)

That's why they elevated into class of elite

Giving up J-Ho for Shaq leaves you with an even bigger shit pile at the wing positions. If Kidd walks you're left with a gaping hole at PG. If you can get Shaq for shit (why not if it saves PHX $?) then you can turn around and turn J-Ho into a better 2 guard.

Let's hope a team finds intrigue in the guys in blues' expiring contracts this year and that the FO is willing to take on salary for a last run.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-07-2009, 07:38 PM
But but at least Nash will be "having fun". That's priority #1 for him.

Not only are you preaching to the converted when you say that, you're preaching to the preacher.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Not gonna happen.

Laker-fan-in-SanAnto
04-07-2009, 08:10 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/196/501069700_2d82523826.jpg?v=0

DPG21920
04-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I despise front runners

pauls931
04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess it depends on how much cuban wants to give up or pay and if the suns want to assist someone in their conference.

BUMP
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
this is why its better to be a Maverick fan than some think. sure we dont have a championship, but our owner isnt a dumbass and unlike the Spurs who are gonna fall off soon and be irrelevant forever, he will keep spending and we will always stay relevant.

Ghazi
04-07-2009, 08:29 PM
this is why its better to be a maverick fan than some think. sure we dont have a championship, but our owner isnt a dumbass and unlike the spurs who are gonna fall off soon and be irrelevant forever, he will keep spending and we will always stay relevant.

BUMP
04-07-2009, 08:33 PM

oh yeah i forgot about 2003 and 2007:toast

BUMP
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

IronMexican
04-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Will Kidd be back after this season?

BUMP
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Will Kidd be back after this season?

i think he wants to come back, but rumor has i think the Lakers will try and throw some money his way. the Lakers would be even more dominant if that happened:wow

Ghazi
04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
We need to resign Kidd if we wanna try and turn this sinking ship around IMO.

sook
04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow, you really don't know basketball. Lack of post scoring has been the biggest thorn in the Mavericks' side for years.

Yup it was the 06 and 07 season too huh? Wasn't that how Phoenix thought Shaq would solve their problem? You can't just look at it on paper and say you are lacking post scoring. The fact is it opens up a lot of lanes for you as well. That is phoenix's problem. They can't get easy looks and easy transition baskets because of it.

Loading meaningless talent won't do anything for you. I said that about the suns and the mavs last season.

sook
First you said the Suns were contenders

Then you said Amare > Dirk

Then you compared T-Mac's affect on his team to Manu's on teh Spurs

And now this bullshit

Shut the fuck up.

Nothing needs to be said to this post.

mavs>spurs2
I'm not a huge fan of Kidd in Dallas, but if we lose him were REALLY fucked.

IronMexican
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
i think he wants to come back, but rumor has i think the Lakers will try and throw some money his way. the Lakers would be even more dominant if that happened:wow

Kidd is an obvious upgrade over what the Lakers have now, but I don't know if he is a true Tri point guard.

dirk4mvp
04-07-2009, 08:53 PM
What are the chances of the Lakers throwing enough money at Kidd to lure him away?

dirk4mvp
04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Yup it was the 06 and 07 season too huh? Wasn't that how Phoenix thought Shaq would solve their problem? You can't just look at it on paper and say you are lacking post scoring. The fact is it opens up a lot of lanes for you as well. That is phoenix's problem. They can't get easy looks and easy transition baskets because of it.

Loading meaningless talent won't do anything for you. I said that about the suns and the mavs last season.

I'm pretty sure mavfans know what his team has been missing over the years, and it's not a pg.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Regardless of what happens to Kidd, we need a PG in the draft. Eric Maynor might still be around when the Mavs pick, but his draft stock is probably going to start going up. Brandon Jennings might start falling since he sucks in Europe.

Ty Lawson will probably be there, but please let someone else make that mistake.

dallaskd
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM

Devin Harris shoots lights out?

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM

:lol You fucking moron. It was exactly the problem in 06 and 07. Lack of a balanced scoring threat allowed Miami to smother the shit out of Dirk. And in 07, the reason Golden State beat us was because they were allowed to send out a high powered lineup of guards and run all over the place without the drawback of being punished at the other end. That's how you beat a team of guards, you pound the ball inside and make them pay, otherwise they'll simply just burn you at the other end.

iggypop123
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
if kidd wants a title he will come to the lakers. if he wants a paycheck he will stay with the mavericks for the full MLE. his choice

sook
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
:lol You fucking moron. It was exactly the problem in 06 and 07. Lack of a balanced scoring threat allowed Miami to smother the shit out of Dirk. And in 07, the reason Golden State beat us was because they were allowed to send out a high powered lineup of guards and run all over the place without the drawback of being punished at the other end. That's how you beat a team of guards, you pound the ball inside and make them pay, otherwise they'll simply just burn you at the other end.

Yup and your theory is obviously proven correct due to what you guys were saying about Kidd being an "Obvious " upgrade. Maybe Shaq can help. Chances are he's not though. He is still a monster but hes at that point in his career where he will do best as more of a 2nd or 3rd man.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
if he wants a paycheck he will stay with the mavericks for the full MLE.

Cuban's going to offer him much more than that. Yeah, I know.

dirk4mvp
04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Yup and your theory is obviously proven correct due to what you guys were saying about Kidd being an "Obvious " upgrade. Maybe Shaq can help. Chances are he's not though. He is still a monster but hes at that point in his career where he will do best as more of a 2nd or 3rd man.

What do you think he'll be in Dallas? He's not going to Dallas to have the offense revolve around him. This isn't Phoenix. Amare's not good or smart enough to have a team run through him so it had to go through Shaq.

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Either way, we need low post scoring. If Shaq can't provide that, then it's another failed experiment. It's too hard to overcompensate for lack of a post threat, it opens things up for everyone. We don't have the talent to compensate for that, and Shaq would make things easier for everyone, especially Dirk.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Shaq never fit in with the Suns. He'd fit in just fine with the Mavericks. The Mavs play a traditional lineup, and after all, we're trying to roll with Erick Dampier at Center right now. Shaq is an easy upgrade over that.

Not saying we're title contenders with Shaq, but we'd definitely move up in the standings with him.

But he's not coming to Dallas.

sook
04-07-2009, 09:10 PM
What do you think he'll be in Dallas? He's not going to Dallas to have the offense revolve around him. This isn't Phoenix. Amare's not good or smart enough to have a team run through him so it had to go through Shaq.

What was he supposed to be in phoenix? He claimed he was going to be a 3rd or 4th man and he was already complaining about touches halfway through the season.

sook
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Either way, we need low post scoring. If Shaq can't provide that, then it's another failed experiment. It's too hard to overcompensate for lack of a post threat, it opens things up for everyone. We don't have the talent to compensate for that, and Shaq would make things easier for everyone, especially Dirk.

True. If you are looking at it that way yea, i can understand. The approach of "We aren't going anywhere so might as well" justifies it a lot better. But the fact that he could catapult you 4 seeds up is just false.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
What was he supposed to be in phoenix? He claimed he was going to be a 3rd or 4th man and he was already complaining about touches halfway through the season.

All Carlisle has to do is motivate Shaq to go for offensive rebounds. Because with the brick factory the Mavs are right now, Shaq will have so many putback opportunities it's not even funny. It's really a shame he won't be coming to Dallas.

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
True. If you are looking at it that way yea, i can understand. The approach of "We aren't going anywhere so might as well" justifies it a lot better. But the fact that he could catapult you 4 seeds up is just false.

If he plays like he has late this season for Phoenix then he could definately put us in the mix, if we're able to also move Josh for another swingman of equal value. What's interesting about it is the way Shaq and Dirk's game compliments eachother perfectly. Shaq dominates the low post, while Dirk dominates the high post. Shaq is simply too strong to be guarded one on one inside, you have to double down and make him pick up his dribble, so that means teams can no longer double team Dirk. He might average 32 ppg.

Shank
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one that's a fan of luring in Ramon Sessions?

mavs>spurs2
04-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Am I the only one that's a fan of luring in Ramon Sessions?

That guy has put up some insane stats when given minutes. He ended last season by averaging close to 20 and 20 in his last 8 games or so, it was insane.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I wonder how great Sessions really is when he's fighting for minutes with Luke Ridnour, and oftentimes he's put at SG while Ridnour runs the point....but I'd still like to see the Mavs go after him. He can fill up a stat sheet with the quickness.

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
btw I'm having a really gay evening. For whatever reason I downloaded that Katy Perry song that's all "you're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no" and I've got it on repeat. so so so so so gay. I have no idea why I'm sharing this.

dirk4mvp
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
btw I'm having a really gay evening. For whatever reason I downloaded that Katy Perry song that's all "you're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no" and I've got it on repeat. so so so so so gay. I have no idea why I'm sharing this.

neat song.

Shank
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
btw i'm having a really gay evening. For whatever reason i downloaded that katy perry song that's all "you're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no" and i've got it on repeat. So so so so so gay. I have no idea why i'm sharing this.

tisastts.

Fpoonsie
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Jesus. As if the Mavericks didn't already have the biggest asshole RUNNIN the show from the sidelines, they'll have the 2nd biggest lumbering down the court each night.

Ghazi
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM

And I'M the sissy cuckold bitch? :bking

monosylab1k
04-07-2009, 11:27 PM
And I'M the sissy cuckold bitch? :bking

You're damn right you are.

Mr.ChugDynasty
04-08-2009, 09:43 AM
A line-up of...
Kidd
Terry
Howard
Nowitzki
Shaq

Could hang with anyone.
Few people really understand how much Dirk and Terry would benefit from having a guy like shaq in the paint. If Dallas makes this trade, and adds another wing who can score off the bench, they are right there with LA for best in the west.

sribb43
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Craphouse and Dumpier for Shaq

ElNono
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Shaq for Dampier would be a lateral move... :rolleyes

dirk4mvp
04-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Antoine Wright for Manu would be a lateral move. Get it done.

stretch
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Kidd/Barea
Terry/Carroll
Howard/Wright
Dirk/Bass
Shaq/Hollins

Not a bad lineup at all. They just need to find a guy that can consistently score points that plays the SG/SF position, and they should be fine. Shaq would really help open stuff up. Honestly, if they could get Matt Carroll to chip in 10 points a game like he was doing with the Bobcats, bombing a few 3s a game, which he should be able to get with Dirk, Shaq, and Howard running around, then Terry could come off the bench, and the team would be just fine. A lot of potential there...

sribb43
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Hollins, Bass and Kidd are all FA's...I think Bass will walk as a team will offer him more PT and more $. No point in him staying here and playing behind Dirk bc he will never get more than 15-20 minutes a game

SpuronyourFace
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Wasn't Amare and Shaq suppose to do that for eachother?

Or Nash and Shaq?

I agree though, make this shit happen so we can watch it fail. No better yet I enjoy seeing Shaq becoming insignificant in the desert AND NOT getting what he wants.

BUMP
04-08-2009, 10:07 AM
you guys are fucking idiots. you had Shaq to the most uptempo, no defense team in basketball and of course he's gonna screw them up.

and since when has Dirk and Amare had the same game?

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Wasn't Amare and Shaq suppose to do that for eachother?

Or Nash and Shaq?

Um, a lot of people felt it was a stupid trade for Phoenix, because of the reason that Shaq's style would not fit with Amare or Nash.

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Hollins, Bass and Kidd are all FA's...I think Bass will walk as a team will offer him more PT and more $. No point in him staying here and playing behind Dirk bc he will never get more than 15-20 minutes a game

true...

still, a core of Dirk, Shaq, Howard, and Terry is quite nice and fits well together. Carlisle should have been developing Green more. I think with his style, he is perfect as a 6th man type of player.

SpuronyourFace
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
you guys are fucking idiots. you had Shaq to the most uptempo, no defense team in basketball and of course he's gonna screw them up.

and since when has Dirk and Amare had the same game?

Uh, they are both scores(at least Amare tries to be) and they both don't play defense. Dirk's attempt at defense is comical. Amare just refuses.

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Uh, they are both scores(at least Amare tries to be) and they both don't play defense. Dirk's attempt at defense is comical. Amare just refuses.

You can be a scorer in different ways you fucking dumbass.

Guys like Shaq score in the post.

Guys like Ray allen score by bombing 3's and mid-range jumpers.

Guys like Lebron score by slashing and penetrating.

Guys like Amare score by getting set up and taking great passes from a great PG.

BUMP
04-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Guys like Amare score by getting set up and taking great passes from a great PG.

thanks for explaining (or trying) to for him. i dont even think id have the patience.

Shaq and Ray Allen must be the same players because they are both scorers [/sarcasm]

SpuronyourFace
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Fail.

Much like Shaq in Dallas will.

You mavs fans are getting your pussies wet from a hypothetical of Shaq's old ass ending up in Dallas. :lol

Typical mav behavior.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
It would be a dream job for Shaq. He'd go to a franchise with an owner that doesn't mind wasting money, will be able to go over his coach's head the second he doesn't feel happy, and since he has rings and the Mavs don't, he'll be able to believe his own bullshit when he starts whining to the media that it's not his fault that they're losing.

He'd fit better with Dallas than he would with Gentry's Suns, but at this point in his career he's has a rapidly declining impact. If a team is even half way decent with the pick and roll any help he brings at the offensive end is practically negated by his inability to guard it.

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Fail.

Much like Shaq in Dallas will.

You mavs fans are getting your pussies wet from a hypothetical of Shaq's old ass ending up in Dallas. :lol

Typical mav behavior.

Great response. You showed me some great reasons as to why Shaq being in Dallas would not work, as opposed to Shaq in Phoenix.

:td

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
great, the village fuckface has arrived

stretch
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Yes and stretch with his insightful comments of "fail" and other great comments like that is here.....you tell me why Shaq would be great for the Mavs...please.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

Shank
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Yes and stretch with his insightful comments of "fail" and other great comments like that is here.....you tell me why Shaq would be great for the Mavs...please.

Is it hard to figure out that adding a low-post presence to a team that's been without one for 20 years would somehow be beneficial?

angel_luv
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I thought you guys were referring to the country song: " I'm going through the Big D and I don't mean Dallas.

The last thing a sinking ship needs is to add Shaq to it. :lol

Shank
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I mean it will help, but not for Dallas. He killed the Suns and their run n gun O...if I am not mistaken Dallas runs that too. He would help with the lost post though.

What? You think the Mavs offense looks ANYTHING like what the Suns run? Seriously?

Findog
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Dallas plays a traditional lineup. If Shaq could duplicate next year what he did this season, it would really help the Mavs out. That said, he can't guard the p'n'r to save his life. Still, I would imagine Dampier would have to go out to make the #s work, and you can't tell me Shaq isn't a huge upgrade over him.

BUMP
04-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Dallas plays a traditional lineup. If Shaq could duplicate next year what he did this season, it would really help the Mavs out. That said, he can't guard the p'n'r to save his life. Still, I would imagine Dampier would have to go out to make the #s work, and you can't tell me Shaq isn't a huge upgrade over him.

Dampier>Shaq in most of these Spur homer minds. just because Shaq ruined the Suns he has to be the worst center in the league.

mavs>spurs2
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Shaq didn't ruin the Suns, going in too many different directions at once did.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Dampier>Shaq in most of these Spur homer minds. just because Shaq ruined the Suns he has to be the worst center in the league.

I was actually making fun of Ghazi, who pretty much always claims everything is a lateral move. I actually think Shaq would address one problem the Mavs have: inside scoring. You kind of need that when you have pure shooters like Dirk and Terry.

BUMP
04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I was actually making fun of Ghazi, who pretty much always claims everything is a lateral move. I actually think Shaq would address one problem the Mavs have: inside scoring. You kind of need that when you have pure shooters like Dirk and Terry.

let me try and put it this way. if you give a wealthy man a nasty glass of cranberry juice he probably wont take it, but if you offer it to a man who's been starved in the desert for a week, he'll take it without hesitation.

the Mavericks have been without an inside scoring option since........i dont even know.

mavs>spurs2
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
:lmao at Dallas being a run and gun team like phoenix

stretch
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I mean it will help, but not for Dallas. He killed the Suns and their run n gun O...if I am not mistaken Dallas runs that too. He would help with the lost post though.

Shit like this is why you get replies like...

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

If you actually had an ounce of brains, I might spend some time debating with you. But seeing that you are the biggest fucktard on the board, you get this.

Ghazi
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Even if the Mavs were somehow to get Shaq, it would not make as big a difference as some of us would like

Dirk/JET/Kidd/Shaq sounds like a star studded lineup but doesn't Amare/Nash/Shaq/J-Rich as well?

Doesn't work if you don't fix the D and the Mavs D is 17th this year. can't stop drives, can't guard the 3-PT line, and with Damp only getting like 25 minutes per that's half the game without a shot blocking presence on the court.

As much as we complain about a lack of offensive help for Dirk all things considered the Mavs are the 7th most efficient offense in basketball, which isn't elite but isn't horrible. The defense has been the biggest problem this year and if the Mavs had played defense this year like they did under Avery they'd be a top 4 seed right now.

I expected better from beloved Carlisle :(

stretch
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Even if the Mavs were somehow to get Shaq, it would not make as big a difference as some of us would like

Dirk/JET/Kidd/Shaq sounds like a star studded lineup but doesn't Amare/Nash/Shaq/J-Rich as well?

The style of offense and effort on defense makes a BIG difference.

Doesn't work if you don't fix the D and the Mavs D is 17th this year. can't stop drives, can't guard the 3-PT line, and with Damp only getting like 25 minutes per that's half the game without a shot blocking presence on the court.

Shaq is a FAR superior interior defensive presence to Damp. That will help immensly on stopping drives, which allows the team to play the perimeter more. Not to mention, their inconsistent offense is a big reason why the defense has issues. If their offense was more consistent and efficient, it would help them immensely on defense. Not to mention the better rebounding that Shaq would provide on both ends of the court.

As much as we complain about a lack of offensive help for Dirk all things considered the Mavs are the 7th most efficient offense in basketball, which isn't elite but isn't horrible. The defense has been the biggest problem this year and if the Mavs had played defense this year like they did under Avery they'd be a top 4 seed right now.

If you actually would watch the Mavs, you would see the issue on their offense is CONSISTENCY. That stat is inflated because at times, their offense is absolutely brutally unstoppable. But then there are times where its just awful, has no rhythm. Those are times when a post player will make a HUGE difference.

Ghazi
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
1. The Mavs defensive effort kinda sucks IMO, especially when the jumpers aren't falling.
2. I do not believe Shaq is FAR superior than Damp when it comes to defense.
3. IT goes both ways IMO. More consistent offense would lead to better defense but better defense would lead to transition opportunities and easy baskets for the offense. The two are interconnected undoubtedly which is why the Celtics, Lakers, Magic, and Cavs are all top 6 in the league as far as efficiency in both categories.
4. I do watch the Mavs tyvm :), and did not imply the offense is a juggernaut or that a post presence is not necessary, I'm just saying I'm not sure if we're a 38 YO Shaq away from competing with the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs. Mavs roster holes are more complex than that IMO.

stretch
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
1. The Mavs defensive effort kinda sucks IMO, especially when the jumpers aren't falling.
2. I do not believe Shaq is FAR superior than Damp when it comes to defense.
3. IT goes both ways IMO. More consistent offense would lead to better defense but better defense would lead to transition opportunities and easy baskets for the offense. The two are interconnected undoubtedly which is why the Celtics, Lakers, Magic, and Cavs are all top 6 in the league as far as efficiency in both categories.
4. I do watch the Mavs tyvm :), and did not imply the offense is a juggernaut or that a post presence is not necessary, I'm just saying I'm not sure if we're a 38 YO Shaq away from competing with the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs. Mavs roster holes are more complex than that IMO.

1. They won't be needing to rely on jumpers as much with Shaq there.
2. He definitely gives more effort, and people around the league are less likely to try to dunk on him, as opposed to Damp. Plus he is a smarter defender. Damp is a solid defensive center, but he can get fooled too easily, and lacks effort worse than Shaq.
3. And Shaq helps on both ends of the court.
4. No one said we are just a Shaq away. Although he definitely helps improve the team quite a bit, as he would be the best post presence in Mavs history.

mavs>spurs2
04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't know...that don't play D like the Suns.

How does your topic change from the Mavs being a run and gun team, to the Mavs not playing defense? :lmao at you calling a strictly half court team "run and gun." Son, maybe you should actually watch some games before commenting, that's like trying to justify saying "the sky is green" by following up with "well, grass is green though!" :lmao

Findog
04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
That's a big IF...he is done after this year..he said after his contract is up in Phx he is retiring.

I thought he has another year at $20 mil after this one.

Blake
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
the mavs win 5 more games next year, Cuban gains a few extra thousand season ticket holders and the spurs 4 > mavs 0

win win lose

pauls931
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
So lets say cuban isn't tightening his purse strings and pho isn't worried about sending shaq to another team in the west.. What would the deal look like?

Dampier and Stackhouse... oh god... I'd rather have Matt Bonner and Finley.

Findog
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
So lets say cuban isn't tightening his purse strings and pho isn't worried about sending shaq to another team in the west.. What would the deal look like?

Dampier and Stackhouse... oh god... I'd rather have Matt Bonner and Finley.

It would be a pure salary dump and the Suns would be officially giving up on the 09-10 season before it even began. There's a team option on Nash I'm sure they'll pick up. With Shaq, Amare and Nash all coming off the books for 10, I think it gives the Suns room to retool pretty quickly.

duncan228
04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Mark Cuban tries to cool down Shaq speculation (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/mark-cuban-cool-on-shaq-speculation.html)
Tim MacMahon

Mark Cuban certainly didn't say anything to fan the flames of speculation that Shaq will land in Dallas this summer (http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/shaq-wants-to-be-a-maverick.html).

"You never say never because this is such a crazy league," Cuban said after implying that the odds of such a deal going down are pretty long, "but you could say that about any player in the league right now."

Cuban kidded that his recent Twitter tweetfest with Shaq was a case of them trying to date, "but his wife got in the way."

"I haven't had a man crush," Cuban claimed. "Shaq and I and Phil Jackson, for that matter, always would have these fun verbal sparring matches. It was always just fun and entertaining, and I think people extended that with Shaq to think that we were madly in love. We haven't even dated."

Would you have interest in further flirting?

"As long as it's not about basketball," Cuban said.

quickerblade
04-10-2009, 08:03 AM
shaq is becoming a journeyman.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I mean uptempo style..not EXACTLY like the Suns.

Yeah OK and Eric Dampier does so much for an up-tempo offense Dallas is gonna miss him.

And for all the people that say Shaq killed the run and gun, I have a few questions:

1) How effective was the run and gun in May and June?
2) How did Shaq kill the run and gun if in 2008 the Suns averaged more fast break points per game after the Shaq trade rather than prior to?
3) At the time of the Shaq trade, the Suns were 4-12 against the other 8 good west teams that year.......what was this "great team" Shaq killed?
4) How on god's green earth is anyone dumb enough to say going from Dampier to Shaq hurts Dallas?

mavs>spurs2
04-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah OK and Eric Dampier does so much for an up-tempo offense Dallas is gonna miss him.

And for all the people that say Shaq killed the run and gun, I have a few questions:

1) How effective was the run and gun in May and June?
2) How did Shaq kill the run and gun if in 2008 the Suns averaged more fast break points per game after the Shaq trade rather than prior to?
3) At the time of the Shaq trade, the Suns were 4-12 against the other 8 good west teams that year.......what was this "great team" Shaq killed?
4) How on god's green earth is anyone dumb enough to say going from Dampier to Shaq hurts Dallas?

Shaq didn't kill the suns, going in too many different directions at once did

:tu to both of the above

DUNCANownsKOBE2
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
:tu to both of the above

I agree, but I still want one of these Spurs fans like BenJarvus to explain how Dampier > Shaq.

BUMP
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
i dont understand it either.

its basically Dampier for Shaq since Stackhouse doesnt do anything anyway,

and some people here think that its a big mistale for Dallas?:wtf

BUMP
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I thought you guys were referring to the country song: " I'm going through the Big D and I don't mean Dallas.

The last thing a sinking ship needs is to add Shaq to it. :lol

actually im thinking the opposite.

if a sinking ship is sinking and their fate is pretty much certain as it stands, what does it hurt to shake things up a bit?