PDA

View Full Version : Initial Reaction: Spurs @ Thunder - Apr. 7

timvp
04-07-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/box1apr7.jpg
http://www.spurstalk.com/box2apr7.jpg

Following the devastating news that Manu Ginobili is to miss the rest of the regular season and the entire playoffs, the Spurs needed to regroup, focus and try to handle business against the Thunder. Considering that San Antonio had already lost against this team twice earlier in the season, a lack of motivation shouldn't have been an issue.

After a lackadaisical start, the Spurs clamped down and played very well over the final three quarters to post a 99-89 victory. The hangover from the bad news regarding Ginobili was apparent early on but then the Spurs stepped up their defensive intensity, allowing only 56 points after the first quarter.

The Thunder continue to look like a team that's going to be difficult to handle down the line. As long as management is patient and they add a few more decent pieces through the draft and free agency, they should start knocking on the playoff door in two to three years.

Overall, this was a good win for the Spurs. While the chances of a championship took a massive hit with the loss of Ginobili, the focus of this team should be to build some sort of momentum heading into the postseason. Tonight was a start.

-Tim Duncan actually played pretty well. He wasn't too quick, nimble or explosive but he gave good effort and his production level was high. Defensively, he clogged the lane very well, especially in the second half. Perhaps the most notable aspect of the game for Duncan is the fact that he removed one of his knee braces. Hopefully that means his knees are starting to feel a little bit better.

-Tony Parker had another very good performance. The Thunder were collapsing on him a lot so he sought out the open teammate. When he called his own number, he had a few very nice finishes. I also thought his defense was really active and and his fight on that end helped spark the team's defensive effort. With Ginobili out, Parker is going to have to play at a superstar level each night to give the Spurs a chance to win.

-Back in the starting lineup, Roger Mason, Jr. played well. He didn't have a great night shooting but Mason was aggressive and seemed ready to step up to the challenge. When he ran point guard, I thought he played that position better than we've seen him do in a long while. Mason made things happen and actually kept the Spurs afloat with Parker on the bench.

-Michael Finley had the opposite type of game than he's been giving the Spurs lately. After being silent in the first three and a half quarters, Finley hit a pair of buckets late in the game to seal the victory for San Antonio. His defense was also pretty good, especially compared to the last time these two teams played and Durant destroyed him. Finley didn't defend Durant nearly as much and when he did, the Spurs sent a lot more help than last time.

-Matt Bonner's grip on his spot in the starting lineup has to be slipping. He not only went scoreless from the field, he pulled down only one board in his 18 minutes of play. His rebounding ability has now just totally disappeared. Even his jumper wasn't close on most of his attempts. It's a shame because the Spurs could really use the Bonner of earlier in the season but that man has been missing in action for quite a while now.

-Drew Gooden had his best game in a Spurs uniform. Offensively, he has been very aggressive and his ability to finish from multiple spots on the court has been impressive. With Ginobili out, the Spurs now really need a lot of production from Gooden. Rebounding-wise, Gooden has been a disappointment as of late. He hasn't quite reached Bonner status on the boards but he's not pulling down caroms off the glass nearly as often as he was when he first arrived. That said, his ability to score on the offensive end and be a lively body on the defensive end was on display tonight. Over his last three games, Gooden is now averaging 17.3 points in 23 minutes per game.

-I liked the way Ime Udoka played against the Thunder. His main concentration was rebounding on both ends of the court. He also backed off a little bit defensively, which allowed him to keep his man in front of him. He didn't shoot well but this is the type of role in which Udoka can be useful. He's an extremely good rebounder for his size and he can be an asset when he's under control.

-Bruce Bowen played more minutes than his previous four games combined and he did a very good job. His defense on Durant was impressive and he also helped out with a lot of timely double-teams. Offensively, he had a few miscues but he hit the one shot he attempted. If Pop is planning to play Bowen more minutes with Ginobili out, his first night out in his new role was a success.

-It was another evening at the office for Kurt Thomas. He played defense and rebounded at a high level, while also tossing in six points in 16 minutes. His screens were important, especially when he was running with the second unit. A number of open shots were created thanks to Thomas' setting bone-crushing picks. It's going to be interesting to see how many minutes Thomas gets going forward if Gooden continues to show improvement and Bonner remains in the starting lineup.

-I thought Pop did good work in the first game sans Ginobili. Going to Gooden for some offense worked out well. Taking Vaughn out of the rotation was the right move. Even though I don't love Mason running the second unit without Ginobili at his side, it's definitely a better option than Vaughn. Playing Bowen more minutes was also a good call. Hopefully that is something Pop does more often, especially when the Spurs are going up against dominant perimeter players. It would have been nice if Pop gave Mason more minutes and found a little bit of room for George Hill, but all in all I'm happy with Pop's adjustments.

Tomorrow against the Blazers, one would have to assume Pop is going to let Duncan rest. However, with the playoffs fast approaching and the Spurs in jeopardy of losing home court advantage in the first round, the Spurs may have to just go all out from here on forward.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 11:06 PM
really really really curious to see if pop sits duncan.......

SA210
04-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Go Bruce!

polandprzem
04-07-2009, 11:07 PM
R we all happy that the spurs won with one of the worst teams in NBA?

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I think it's time to limit Bonner's minutes..

Gooden is just a better option in every way, even defensively..Bonner's ability to stretch the floor was the only thing going for him, and that's gone now..maybe putting him on the bench can help spark him..

I'd like Gooden AND Kurt getting more minutes than Bonner..

I would play Duncan tomorrow, I'd like to see him get in a nice rhythm before the playoffs..I would rather rest him against a team like Sacramento, since we should beat them even without Timmy in the lineup..

Mugen
04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
R we all happy that the spurs won with one of the worst teams in NBA?

would you rather have had them lose? ginobili just went out for the season and the spurs have been playing horrible. plus the thunder have beaten us twice, id say spurs fans should be happy about any win right now.

timvp, i know that hill prob wont get much minutes the rest of the season but do you agree with me that he should be getting Ime's minutes. Ime is a good rebounder but so is george plus i think george is a lot better defender, especially laterally, when compared to ime. the only thing ime does comparitely better is shoot the 3 but even thats inconsistent. curious on what you have to say...

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it's time to limit Bonner's minutes..

Gooden is just a better option in every way, even defensively..Bonner's ability to stretch the floor was the only thing going for him, and that's gone now..maybe putting him on the bench can help spark him..

I'd like Gooden AND Kurt getting more minutes than Bonner..

Agreed. But I don't think coming off the bench helps him. I think once he's not starting and is competing for minutes off the bench that's the end for him.

ducks
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
tp had 5 steals

Pablo Escobar
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
it feels like forever since Duncan lead in scoring

EricB
04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Good win.

The defense was very good in the last three quarters.

From the tone of Pop's voice in the Post interview, I'd say Duncan is not playing.

Solid D
04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Excellent thoughts, timvp. Timmy looked like a victim in the first quarter with his post-ups against Collision. Pop put him on the move a little more in the 2nd quarter and following quarters, rolling to the basket and playing with more strength and confidence.

Gooden was exceptional with his shooting touch and his defensive awareness was much improved. His presence was in the order of what Pau Gasol brings offensively to his team. If this type of contribution can be repeated, it will really make the Spurs competitive in the playoffs.

Bowen was great defensively and he even made a three. His aggressive, ball-slapping play really became infectious.

Parker had some amazing drives and shots, although he struggled in some stretches. His dribble drive and kick and his screen/roll decision-making was huge tonight.

Mason and Finley scored when they really needed the points...so a really nice win for the Spurs.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
tp had 5 steals

our ability to grab some turnovers and convert them turned the game around.

duncan228
04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
I'll be surprised if Duncan plays. What matters to me is that he feels good enough to play. It's fine with me if he loses the argument. :lol

polandprzem
04-07-2009, 11:20 PM
would you rather have had them lose? ginobili just went out for the season and the spurs have been playing horrible. plus the thunder have beaten us twice, id say spurs fans should be happy about any win right now.

timvp, i know that hill prob wont get much minutes the rest of the season but do you agree with me that he should be getting Ime's minutes. Ime is a good rebounder but so is george plus i think george is a lot better defender, especially laterally, when compared to ime. the only thing ime does comparitely better is shoot the 3 but even thats inconsistent. curious on what you have to say...

Well I'd rathere treat that win as a normal thing ...

But cosidering the facts. Yup we should be happy about every win. And in the playoffs getting one win is also good and enough.

Mugen
04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
sit him out.

VI_Massive
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Good win.

The defense was very good in the last three quarters.

From the tone of Pop's voice in the Post interview, I'd say Duncan is not playing.

If Pop sits Duncan, we're pretty much conceding the game, right?

HarlemHeat37
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
that's another thing about Bruce that Solid D mentioned..when Bowen is on the floor, the ENTIRE team gets busy on D..his play is contagious, you can tell..he's also a defensive general on the floor, telling everybody where to go..

timvp
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290225024

mytespurs
04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Tomorrow against the Blazers, one would have to assume Pop is going to let Duncan rest. However, with the playoffs fast approaching and the Spurs in jeopardy of losing home court advantage in the first round, the Spurs may have to just go all out from here on forward.

I'm surprised he would consider sitting Duncan against Portland.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Top notch writing, LJ. :tu
With all the garbage posted in this board the last couple of days, it's certainly refreshing to read a well thought out post. I'm also thinking this is closer to the rotations we're going to see in the Playoffs. I think neither Vaughn or Hill are going to see much floor time, if any. And I think the only question is wether Bonner is going to be out there as a starter 10 days from now.

EricB
04-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Not really but whats more important, a healthy duncan? or going balls out for a win on a back to back when you have games with Golden State and Sacramento sunday monday and the Utah Jazz at home friday ?

TimDunkem
04-07-2009, 11:28 PM
-I liked the way Ime Udoka played against the Thunder. His main concentration was rebounding on both ends of the court. He also backed off a little bit defensively, which allowed him to keep his man in front of him. He didn't shoot well but this is the type of role in which Udoka can be useful. He's an extremely good rebounder for his size and he can be an asset when he's under control.

Agreed. I like that role for him. We already have great shooters. While I don't have gripes with Ime shooting an open shot, I'd prefer he back off offensively and just crash the glass.

Spursmania
04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
that's another thing about Bruce that Solid D mentioned..when Bowen is on the floor, the ENTIRE team gets busy on D..his play is contagious, you can tell..he's also a defensive general on the floor, telling everybody where to go..

:toast

EricB
04-07-2009, 11:32 PM
If thats the Playoff Rotation then IMO its the best one can hope for.

IMO Mason should get more minutes in the 4th and play along side Bruce Tim DG and Tony, but beggers can't be choosers with Pop lately.

ElNono
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
If thats the Playoff Rotation then IMO its the best one can hope for.

IMO Mason should get more minutes in the 4th and play along side Bruce Tim DG and Tony, but beggers can't be choosers with Pop lately.

I think Pop will tweak depending who we are playing also. IE: Bruce will be out there if we're up in the 4th and we need to keep somebody cool.

EricB
04-07-2009, 11:43 PM
I think Pop will tweak depending who we are playing also. IE: Bruce will be out there if we're up in the 4th and we need to keep somebody cool.

Agreed.

If he would play George Hill as the backup point guard then IMO things would be perfect.

But for some reason POP has soured overnight on Hill and there has to be a reason we are not hearing for why he has.

Manufan909
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Agreed.

If he would play George Hill as the backup point guard then IMO things would be perfect.

But for some reason POP has soured overnight on Hill and there has to be a reason we are not hearing for why he has.

I'm wondering if there is, besides Pop waking up in a cold sweat, after Hill constantly morphed into Beno, and Fin threatened to murder his family if he didn't get 20+ minutes a game.:(

ElNono
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Agreed.

To be honest with you, I think it's entirely because George is a rookie. And I don't event think Pop is doing it for the wrong reasons. I think he wants George to learn from Parker, see what the playoffs is about, and make sure he's not placed in a pressure situation like having to run the team in a game 7 on the road, where if he makes a bunch of mistakes it ends up costing the series and the season. Then you have a rook with a psychological burden.
I think Pop likes George a lot (what's not to like), and I think he wants him to burn one bridge at a time. I actually thought the reason Vaughn played the last week was to lower George expectations a bit. I see Hill getting spot minutes in the playoffs, purely as a defender but without major responsibilities.

Obviously, this is just my opinion.

EricB
04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I don't buy the rookie opinion because he has gone with rookies in the past, Beno, Ginobili, so I again wonder whats gone on.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 12:12 AM
I don't buy the rookie opinion because he has gone with rookies in the past, Beno, Ginobili, so I again wonder whats gone on.

Other than Parker and Manu, not really. Barry ended up running the point for us in Beno's rookie season in '05. What other rookies did he play consistently in the playoffs other than those two? And don't forget that Manu wasn't exactly a rookie-rookie.

VI_Massive
04-08-2009, 12:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290225024

We were playing better then and they were playing worse.

EricB
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Other than Parker and Manu, not really. Barry ended up running the point for us in Beno's rookie season in '05. What other rookies did he play consistently in the playoffs other than those two? And don't forget that Manu wasn't exactly a rookie-rookie.

Beno ran the point up until game 5 of the 05 NBA Finals.

So again, I don't buy it.

EricB
04-08-2009, 12:27 AM
We were playing better then and they were playing worse.

They weren't playing THAT bad.

VI_Massive
04-08-2009, 12:41 AM
They weren't playing THAT bad.

True, true. And Portland sucks on the road.

But still, we beat them w/o Tim because Parker shredded them for 39. I don't think that happens again.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Beno ran the point up until game 5 of the 05 NBA Finals.

So again, I don't buy it.

He averaged 11 minutes a game... spot minutes at most.

timvp
04-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Gooden is just a better option in every way, even defensively..Bonner's ability to stretch the floor was the only thing going for him, and that's gone nowBonner is still a better defender and his shooting percentage has been good over the least few weeks. That said, his lack of rebounding is tough to stomach. Plus his lack of athleticism is more noticeable now that the Spurs on a whole or less athletic without Manu's explosiveness.

Gooden is far from perfect but he's bringing more to the table right now than Bonner. And the ceiling for this team is higher with Gooden than Bonner.

timvp, i know that hill prob wont get much minutes the rest of the season but do you agree with me that he should be getting Ime's minutes. Ime is a good rebounder but so is george plus i think george is a lot better defender, especially laterally, when compared to ime. the only thing ime does comparitely better is shoot the 3 but even thats inconsistent. curious on what you have to say...Yeah, I agree that Hill brings more to the table than Ime. Ime's biggest asset is he's a tough, physical presence who can play a lot of positions. His actual skill level and athleticism level are severely lacking but Pop really seems to like that physicality he provides.

Gooden was exceptional with his shooting touch and his defensive awareness was much improved. His presence was in the order of what Pau Gasol brings offensively to his team. If this type of contribution can be repeated, it will really make the Spurs competitive in the playoffs.Good points.

I liked seeing some chemistry starting to form between Duncan and Gooden. Pop even called a few plays that involved them feeding each other. It's not inconceivable that Gooden could turn into a 15 and 10 player now that Ginobili isn't around.

I'm seriously starting to think it's time to start Gooden and just pray for the best. I like his offensive game when he's next to Parker and Duncan because he doesn't dominant the action as much as when he's with the second unit.

Oh and the LOL moment of the game was when Gooden held the ball for about five seconds looking to score even though he was double-teamed the entire time. You could literally hear his teammates yelling at him to pass the ball. But yeah, that's the type of stuff you have to live with if Gooden is on your team.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I could have sworn Pop dusted off some old Hi/Lo plays for a few sequences tonight...

Too bad we don't have more time to develop that. Duncan's passing is 3lit3 this season. And Gooden is taking shots at an Iverson rate.

I thought tonight's Gooden LOL moment was when he caught the ball inside the 3, dribbled baseline into the defender, and shot into the defenders face, and swished the shot. Parker was like :huh

I think even though Bonner is clanking, if we start Gooden instead, we might find the lane getting far too clogged, and Gooden will become a turnover machine, instead of a classical black hole. Maybe Pop can dust off some more sneaky Hi/Lo plays from the Spurs vault.

SA210
04-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Bruce Bowen a +13 while in the game?

The Truth #6
04-08-2009, 01:07 AM
The funny thing is Pop might like the fact that Gooden ball hogs. Pop probably gets tired of having to preach for players to look for their offense.

The challenge then is getting him to play team ball and defense. Given how Pop favors offense (which in theory is why Bonner is out there) then the move to Gooden may happen soon.

The other way to look at it is we may have less than 12-15 games in the whole season. We need to hurry up and figure something out with Gooden quick before it's time to talk contracts. The future roster is so wide open right now, we need as much knowledge as possible on Gooden before heading into the off season.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Bruce Bowen a +13 while in the game?

Bowen was a 1 man defense after he caught his 2nd wind. As Oscar De La would say, I don't know what it is, but I want more Bowen.

EricB
04-08-2009, 01:10 AM
The funny thing is Pop might like the fact that Gooden ball hogs. Pop probably gets tired of having to preach for players to look for their offense.

The challenge then is getting him to play team ball and defense. Given how Pop favors offense (which in theory is why Bonner is out there) then the move to Gooden may happen soon.

The other way to look at it is we may have less than 12-15 games in the whole season. We need to hurry up and figure something out with Gooden quick before it's time to talk contracts. The future roster is so wide open right now, we need as much knowledge as possible on Gooden before heading into the off season.

Try 5.

Whisky Dog
04-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I think at this point the rotation going forward should be obvious.

Parker
Duncan
Gooden
Bowen
Mason

Thomas
Finley
Hill
Udoka in matchup situations

Mavs<Spurs
04-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Try 5.

I agree with you about not pushing Duncan all out when there does not seem to be a high reward for doing it as compared with what is coming up.

:flag:

rayray2k8
04-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Looks like Bonner will be the odd man out come playoff time.
Thank god. :rolleyes

kace
04-08-2009, 02:07 AM
To be honest with you, I think it's entirely because George is a rookie.

i keep saying that for a while now. i don't see any specific Pop's coaching weakness about backup PG or anything against Hill personally in Pop's reluctance to give him more playing time.

Pop almost never trusted rookies. nothing different for Hill.

Beno: not true
Manu: NBA rookie, yes but was as much a proven winner as any NBA players. i would't call manu a true rookie when he came here in 2002.

i guess Parker is the only one.

crc21209
04-08-2009, 02:12 AM
If I had it my way I would go with a rotation of :

Starters: TP, Mason, Bowen, TD, Thomas or Gooden.

Bench: Hill, Finley, Udoka, Gooden or Thomas (depending on who starts), and Bonner. Hell at this point Bonner is really sucking. I'd even consider Oberto over Bonner.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2009, 02:13 AM
Beno: not true
Manu: NBA rookie, yes but was as much a proven winner as any NBA players. i would't call manu a true rookie when he came here in 2002.

i guess Parker is the only one.

Beno played 12 mpg in 21 games in the playoffs in 2005, after playing 80 games in the regular season.

So Pop definitely gave him a decent leash in his rookie year.

But I think maybe Beno is the reason why Hill doesn't get a chance. :lmao In 36 playoff games in a Spurs uniform, Beno shot 33% and 24% from 3.

DespЏrado
04-08-2009, 02:14 AM

Bonner should be the odd man out, but nothing Pop has done indicates that he will give up on Bonner yet, I hope Pop gets his act together and starts playing the only team that has a chance in the playoffs:

4 Duncan----Gooden
5 Gooden--- Kurt Thomas-- Oberto
3 Bowen ----Finley---------Udoka
2 Mason-----Finley---------Hill
1 Parker-----Hill/ Mason

That's a damn good team- it resembles the Spurs of old and not the jump shooting team we have become. And I don't think we've seen this spurs team together enough to know how they will match up in the playoffs, but I wouldn't feel bad if they started the season with that kind of lineup.

SA210
04-08-2009, 02:17 AM
:tu ^^^^

timvp
04-08-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't understand why Spurs fans try to say Pop didn't give Beno a chance in 2005. Beno was the backup point guard from the first preseason game all the way until the point he literally couldn't bring the ball up the court 100+ games into the season. Pop stuck with Beno no matter what prior to that point.

Hill, on the other hand, was like the fourth point guard on the depth charts heading into preseason. It took him playing better than expected to even become the backup point guard in the first place. And while his play had hit a wall, I agree with the sentiment that Hill was mostly benched due to Pop's bad memories of what happened with Beno.

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 02:30 AM
definitely..

I think Pop definitely likes Hill's game..Hill IS a Popovich player..he plays great D, he's tough, he listens to the coaches..

Benophobia, as Ruff says..

I think we can definitely expect him to play significantly next year..

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I believe Pop is stunted the rookie's growth. It's not like Hill needs to be on the court in the waning minutes of a tight ball game. However, his 12-15 minutes of solid production and the backup PG spot is crucial. With Manu out, he's the only other player on the team that can breakdown a defense and get to the rim. Of course, he's not the best finisher, but you get my point. I just don't see where it would hurt to re-insert him back into that role.

DespЏrado
04-08-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm not sold that Hill is going to be a huge contributor for the playoffs, but I don't think Mason adds much at point. Sadly I think it is getting to be too late to really get Hill into the swing of running this team.

What dumbfounds me about this decision is that last year we had Barry who played unbelievably well as a backup point guard the last few years and Pop refused to play him at that position, opting for Jaque Vaughan. But now he can't stop playing Mason as the backup PG when he doesn't have the same knack for it that George Hill might if given half the chance.

Mavs<Spurs
04-08-2009, 02:37 AM
I believe Pop is stunted the rookie's growth. It's not like Hill needs to be on the court in the waning minutes of a tight ball game. However, his 12-15 minutes of solid production and the backup PG spot is crucial. With Manu out, he's the only other player on the team that can breakdown a defense and get to the rim. Of course, he's not the best finisher, but you get my point. I just don't see where it would hurt to re-insert him back into that role.

However, really, Hill is probably the second best finisher at the rim after Parker I think !

Capt Bringdown
04-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Oh and the LOL moment of the game was when Gooden held the ball for about five seconds looking to score even though he was double-teamed the entire time. You could literally hear his teammates yelling at him to pass the ball. But yeah, that's the type of stuff you have to live with if Gooden is on your team.

Sounds like Gooden had a Manu moment.

Mal
04-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Gooden ! 20 pts of the bench. With Thunder, but still good result

benefactor
04-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Good effort overall. We are only going to go as far as our defense will carry us and that was emphasized tonight. It's amazing what 20+ minutes of Bruce Bowen will get you.

Gooden gets the game ball tonight. We were needing a lift offensively and he came in and produced. His defense looks to be improving too. I agree that he could have rebounded better but with the overall contribution he made I am not going to be picky. I think some if it is because he is focusing a lot on his play on both ends of the court and not as much on being in position for the boards. As he gets more and more into the flow of the offense/defense his rebounding will reappear.

It was funny seeing that double come over and Gooden still holding the ball like he was related to it. The other side of that coin is that Gooden actually seems to be a decent passer. He passed a little bit more after that, so maybe he is starting to come around. With his offensive prowess he could easily have 3 or 4 nice assists per game.

1Parker1
04-08-2009, 07:32 AM
If you start Gooden, that basically leaves the Spurs with almost zero offensive punch off the bench now that Ginobili is gone. That is why I think Gooden needs to continue off the bench and Kurt Thomas should start.

silverblackfan
04-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Bowen was a 1 man defense after he caught his 2nd wind. As Oscar De La would say, I don't know what it is, but I want more Bowen.

I love me some Bowen. The defense just gets so much better and the pressure on the opponents gets so much more intense.

kace
04-08-2009, 07:44 AM
However, really, Hill is probably the second best finisher at the rim after Parker I think !

and he's still bad at finishing at the rim. really.

that means that with manu's out, we've got only one slasher. one of the best of the league, but still only one.

who will drive to the rim when tony will be on the bench ? probably no one, and we'll have to run a different offense then (more post up plays or motion offense)

dbestpro
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Gooden is a ball hog. So what? He's suppose to shoot thee ball when every one else is clanging iron. The interesting point that is lost on everyone is watching the Spurs morph from a three point team to an inside team as Gooden and Tim learn to play off of one another. This would not have happened has Manu not got hurt. Pop would have kept Bowen on the bench and Bonner would continue to get the majority of minutes. Without Manu Pop is forced to make the adjustments that we all have been screaming for.

AussieFanKurt
04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
sit dncan

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Damn, I bet Pop has no idea where to put Gooden. I'd personall go with 6th man, so there is some scoring punch in the 2nd unit. Taking Pops bs into account, the best rotation I can reaonably hope for is:

Tony/Mason (I'd want Tony/Hill)
Finley/Mason (I'd want Mason/Ime)
Bowen/Ime/Finley (I'd want Bowen/Hairston)
Tim/KT
Bonner/Gooden (this big roation is the best possible, cuz Gooden can't be with Bonner in the second unit, neither are great on D, and I don't want Gooden starting to provide scoring punch)

I'd love to see Gooden and Timmy together, but then who is going to score on the 2nd unit? Mason can't create worth shit, no one except Tim, Tony, and Gooden can truly create on this Spurs team. So Gooden has to be in the 2nd unit, otherwise they'll just be 3pt chuckers(Bowen/Bonner, Mason, Ime) and long jays(KT)... that is just stupid. Pop would just have to pray that they didn't lose the lead, or balloon the other teams lead.

Just play Gooden a crapload, he's 28, and has nowhere near the mileage on his body that Tim at 28 yrs Tim had, so let him go 30+. Have the majority of his time be when one or both of the Big 2 are out, but try to play him with Duncan as much as possible to relieve the pressure. I know Pop can work some magic with the rotations.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Bruce Bowen. A lot of people are saying Bruce played based on the matchups that OKC presented last night specifically Durant. I think Pop knows that the bread and butter of this team is defense. Although he's lost a step, Bruce Bowen still has a lot of old tricks up his sleeve that he can use to frustrate opposing perimeter players.

Good win by the Spurs last night. You can tell that they not feel sorry for themselves. You can see that pretty much the whole team has an extra type of motivation. I think they win tonight and start to roll. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah, I did not know that Gooden was capable of blocking a few shots.

VI_Massive
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Gooden is playing balls out in his contract year. He is out there showing off for the Spurs and anyone else who is watching. With the economy the way it is, he knows he's got to give people as much to see as he can.

He was something of a ballstopper/ballhog before, and I haven't watched a ton of his games, but I don't remember him being as much of a gunner. Maybe Pop sent him out there with the instructions to be aggressive and shoot the ball, and since he's shot pretty well since he's been here, those instructions have stayed the same. But, I think part of it has to be that he's out there gunning for a new deal, and that's great. Its good to have a guy or two (I'm looking at you, Ime) out there trying to get paid for next year in a bad economy.

silverblackfan
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Start KT, and bring Gooden off the bench. As Gooden improves on defense, and he did last night, let him play with Duncan in 4th qtr.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Having Benophobia with Hill is just plain fucking stupid. Who the hell got inside pops brain and switched the connections the opposite way? He's supposed to let guys see the floor who play D.
If Pop would have thrown Beno had Kobe bryant and then benched him a week later, I'd maybe come a little closer to understanding.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 10:22 AM
There's no doubt that Hill needs to get some more playing time. Not just garbage minutes neither. He needs to get in there and mix it up. He doesn't have a good jumper, but neither does Vaughn. I'm glad Vaughn didn't see any court time last night, but it would have been nice to see Hill on Westbrook to see what he could have brought to the table.

TDomination
04-08-2009, 10:32 AM
If last night was an indication of what Bowens role will be in the playoffs, I will be happy with that.

Not to mention that he will be as fresh as ever going into the playoffs. So when he has to defend Melo, Kobe, Roy, DWilliams, etc. he should be ready to go.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think we've seen the last of Bruce Bowen. A lot of people are saying Bruce played based on the matchups that OKC presented last night specifically Durant. I think Pop knows that the bread and butter of this team is defense. Although he's lost a step, Bruce Bowen still has a lot of old tricks up his sleeve that he can use to frustrate opposing perimeter players.

Good win by the Spurs last night. You can tell that they not feel sorry for themselves. You can see that pretty much the whole team has an extra type of motivation. I think they win tonight and start to roll. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not.

If Pop goes with that, then he'll have Hill back where he belongs soon. I really fucking hope you are right. Cuz Hill is easily the best guard on D, why not try him out to see if he chokes, then give up on him, don't assume it's a possibility, and decide not to risk it.

Budkin
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Pop simply can't afford to rest Duncan at this point... no fucking way.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Gooden is playing balls out in his contract year. He is out there showing off for the Spurs and anyone else who is watching. With the economy the way it is, he knows he's got to give people as much to see as he can.

He was something of a ballstopper/ballhog before, and I haven't watched a ton of his games, but I don't remember him being as much of a gunner. Maybe Pop sent him out there with the instructions to be aggressive and shoot the ball, and since he's shot pretty well since he's been here, those instructions have stayed the same. But, I think part of it has to be that he's out there gunning for a new deal, and that's great. Its good to have a guy or two (I'm looking at you, Ime) out there trying to get paid for next year in a bad economy.

So long as Gooden continues to demonstrate a superior shooting touch, as well as continued effort and inprovement on defense, I could care less if he's a ball hog. After all, we've all seen how the Spurs still struggle with those inexplicable scoring droughts. For a time, we all thought the problem was solved with the insertion of Bonner and Mason. Yet the problems continued. So, if Gooden can continue to have success by sealing his opponent on the block and either getting to the rim or facing him up, I say GO FOR IT.

When is the last time the Spurs had another low-post, scoring option on this team besides Duncan? That's too long. :lol. (apologies to Wolf Brand Chili)

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
i dont get hte point of Hill just playin 1 minute in the 4th. I was watching the game last night and it, it ocurred to me where can they get a consistant offense from when you have on the floor Mason, Bowen, Bonner, Kurt thomas, Gooden.
Gooden or Mason is the only players i see that might be able to score w/ any
Consistency. Spurs struggled to beat a bad team.

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Just wondering here but does it appear that bonner has been a no show for the last 4-5 games. Does he have an injury that we dont know about, or is it just that he's in a bad shooting slump. Or could it be just that teams are playin better defense on him!!
Whats everyones opinion.

ElNono
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Just wondering here but does it appear that bonner has been a no show for the last 4-5 games. Does he have an injury that we dont know about, or is it just that he's in a bad shooting slump. Or could it be just that teams are playin better defense on him!!
Whats everyones opinion.

He's just not that good. He looks great when he's nailing shots, but if you take that away he's just not a very good player.

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
And the problem is no one else can create there own shot on the spurs team, and defense's will just close out on mason, and everyone else can only stand around cause, we know that they cannot create thier own shot. Parker might have to play the whole game.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Glad to see Bowen getting some run. Gooden, from what I saw, looked pretty good out there with Duncan. I'd love to see the team rally after the Manu injury and play with purpose and focus because of it. Could be interesting.....

Myrak
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought a lot of positives happened last night. Bowen got some time on the floor...Gooden continues to impress....Timmy looked ready to play....Tony was Tony...

But this was OKC........Tonight will tell us much more.

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Gooden i am really impressed with, now he can create his own shot.

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Just in from the Wire DUNCAN will ne play he is to sit out tonight. play friday........

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Just playin everyone, not sure but wouldn't suprise me.

DaBears
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Does anyone think we have a shot at getting the #2 seed back before the close of the season.

duncan228
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Just in from the Wire DUNCAN will ne play he is to sit out tonight. play friday........

Just playin everyone, not sure but wouldn't suprise me.

Duncan is a game time decision. All that matters to me is that he feels good enough to play. Whether Pop plays him or rests him is secondary.

SenorSpur
04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Duncan is a game time decision. All that matters to me is that he feels good enough to play. Whether Pop plays him or rests him is secondary.

Amen!

mexicanjunior
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Does anyone think we have a shot at getting the #2 seed back before the close of the season.

Nope...not that it really matters at this point.

MoSpur
04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
There's a chance to get that #2 seed, but the Spurs would have to win the rest of the games and Denver would have to lose two or three of their games that they have left.

peskypesky
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I thought Pop did good work in the first game sans Ginobili. Going to Gooden for some offense worked out well. Taking Vaughn out of the rotation was the right move. Even though I don't love Mason running the second unit without Ginobili at his side, it's definitely a better option than Vaughn. Playing Bowen more minutes was also a good call.

WTF took him so goddamn long to figure this stuff out? It's not rocket science.

peskypesky
04-08-2009, 01:04 PM

Bonner will still be used when the matchups allow it, i.e. if the opposing team is also playing a big lumbering white guy with no post game.

Manufan909
04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
WTF took him so goddamn long to figure this stuff out? It's not rocket science.

Ha, cuz if you coached the team the Spurs would be at 55 wins already? Just because we all know what our dream rotation would be, doesn't mean we would do better than Pop has. Hell, if any ST member could coach the Spurs to a better record than Pop, or even close, I would be amazed. Rather, they'd be OKC for this season.

And I'm not a In Pop We Trust guy, but slow your roll, he is the most interesting man in the world.:hat

Obstructed_View
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Ha, cuz if you coached the team the Spurs would be at 55 wins already? Just because we all know what our dream rotation would be, doesn't mean we would do better than Pop has. Hell, if any ST member could coach the Spurs to a better record than Pop, or even close, I would be amazed. Rather, they'd be OKC for this season.

And I'm not a In Pop We Trust guy, but slow your roll, he is the most interesting man in the world.:hat

Um, starting Finley against Lebron James and not sending a double team is indefensible, as is putting JV on the Cav's guards and then not subbing him out when he's getting killed. I love Pop, but he's made some questionable decisions lately, and he's rightfully being questioned by many fans.

SA210
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Um, starting Finley against Lebron James and not sending a double team is indefensible, as is putting JV on the Cav's guards and then not subbing him out when he's getting killed. I love Pop, but he's made some questionable decisions lately, and he's rightfully being questioned by many fans.