PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich Still Watching Stars' Minutes

duncan228
04-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Popovich still watching stars' minutes (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_still_watching_stars_minutes.html)
Mike Monroe

OKLAHOMA CITY — Losing star guard Manu Ginobili for the rest of the season to an injury won't change Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's approach to managing the minutes of his key players in the final five games of the regular season.

The first test of Popovich's resolve to keep his stars fresh before the playoffs begin will come tonight, when the Spurs conclude their final set of back-to-back games with a game against Portland at the AT&T Center.

“I still haven't decided if Tim is playing,” Popovich said after Tim Duncan logged nearly 33 minutes in the Spurs' 99-89 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder at Ford Arena on Tuesday.

Popovich has rested Duncan in one game of the previous two sets of back-to-back games.

“We don't want to panic and overplay somebody else because someone went down and exacerbate the situation,” Popovich said before the Spurs took the court Tuesday. “We'll see how the game goes tonight, as far as Timmy's body is concerned and see how he feels tomorrow. Then we'll make a decision.”

Popovich has tried to manage the minutes played by Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley. Ginobili's injury, he said, does not justify abandoning a philosophy that values fresh legs at playoff time more than seeding.

“One would think that,” Popovich said. “We've always felt that way. Obviously, it didn't work in Manu's situation, but it doesn't mean the philosophy is bad. We'll probably stick with the same thing and err on the side of conservatism and try to save minutes, rather than overplay people.”

Mason ready: Roger Mason Jr. is taking Ginobili's spot in the starting lineup, but he won't try to replicate Ginobili's game.

“I don't think anybody is going to try to be Manu,” Mason said. “He's a superstar player. I don't think it's on any one of us to try to do, individually, what he does. Collectively, I think everybody has got to raise their game up.

“It means we have to defend a little better, we have to rebound a little better, do everything else better.”

Notable: Popovich said that with Ginobili out, the Spurs are considering personnel moves, including possibly recalling swingman Malik Hairston from their D-League team in Austin. ... Tipoff for tonight's game against Portland has been moved up to 6 p.m. because it is being televised by ESPN.

ducks
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Popovich said that with Ginobili out, the Spurs are considering personnel moves, including possibly recalling swingman Malik Hairston from their D-League team in Austin

duncan228
04-08-2009, 12:48 AM
The first test of Popovich's resolve to keep his stars fresh before the playoffs begin will come tonight, when the Spurs conclude their final set of back-to-back games with a game against Portland at the AT&T Center.

Sun 4-12 @ Sacramento
Mon 4-13 @ Golden State

:bang Could someone do some fact checking?

anjlbitz
04-08-2009, 12:54 AM
^ maybe he's doing it on purpose now just to get a rise out of ST

HarlemHeat37
04-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I'd rather let Duncan sit out vs. Golden State..

kace
04-08-2009, 01:51 AM
Sun 4-12 @ Sacramento
Mon 4-13 @ Golden State

:bang Could someone do some fact checking?

really, that's just amazing.

in almost EVERY article by some of those guys, there are mistakes.