PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Don't Panic Yet

duncan228
04-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Spurs don't panic yet (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_dont_panic_yet.html)
Mike Monroe

OKLAHOMA CITY — Before his team took the court to play an Oklahoma City Thunder team that had beaten it twice in the month of March, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called the loss of star guard Manu Ginobili for the season a “shock to the system.”

In need of some healing, the Spurs got the therapy they required from team captain Tim Duncan.

In their first game since getting the bad news about Ginobili's stress fracture, Duncan was his aggressive, All-Star self. The result was a 99-89 Spurs victory at Ford Center that allowed them to maintain their spot in third place in the Western Conference.

It was their 50th victory of the season, assuring them their 10th consecutive season with at least that many.

Historical milestones mattered less Tuesday than the immediate future. With Houston and Portland also winning Tuesday night, a loss would have dropped the Spurs to fifth place in the West with just five regular season games left.

But a loss would have been even more harmful to the Spurs' collective psyche than their place in the standings, and Popovich knew it. Before tipoff, he had determined that Duncan would play “as much as it took to get the win.”

That turned out to be 32 minutes and 49 seconds, which produced 25 points and 15 rebounds.

Tuesday's game was, said Popovich, “a necessary and big game for us that we needed to win.”

The coach's pregame admonition to the Spurs was a challenge to respond to Ginobili's loss with determination and defiance.

“It's about attitude,” Popovich said. “We can do the best possible job we can of believing in each other and put out the effort that's required to win basketball games, or we can feel sorry for ourselves and say, ‘Gosh, without Manu it's going to be really difficult to reach our goals.'”

Point guard Tony Parker said the look in Duncan's eyes on the Spurs' first few possessions told him everything he needed to know about the Spurs' captain's approach to playing without Ginobili.

“From the get-go, you saw it in his eyes that he was going to attack the basket,” Parker said. “He took 20 shots, and it had been a long time since he took 20 shots.

“It was great to see him being aggressive.”

Indeed, it had been six games since Duncan had taken at least 20 shots in a night. That was also a key road victory, an 87-85 win in Houston.

As efficient as Duncan was at the offensive end, it was defensive effort in the second half that turned a 51-50 halftime lead into a relatively comfortable nine-point advantage midway through the fourth quarter. After watching the Thunder make their first six shots of the third quarter, running their shooting percentage up to 55.5, the Spurs locked down on defense and allowed only nine more field goals in the final 20 minutes.

They did it with a lineup that included defensive ace Bruce Bowen, back in Popovich's plans in the aftermath of Ginobili's injury. Ime Udoka, another player whose court time is earned at the defensive end, was on the floor for 15 of the 24 second-half minutes.

“It's the same lineup we used when Manu was out before,' Popovich said. “That's who's there. It's the exact same rotation.”

The Spurs got an offensive boost from Drew Gooden, the March free agent signee who is beginning to find a comfort zone at just the right time. He scored 20 points in nearly 29 minutes, playing deep into the fourth quarter of a close game for the first time since joining the Spurs.

“I thought he was playing well, feeling more comfortable in the system,” Popovich said. “The guys are getting more confidence in him, and I thought he needed to be rewarded, as well as he was playing at both ends of the floor.”

ElNono
04-08-2009, 12:05 AM
They did it with a lineup that included defensive ace Bruce Bowen, back in Popovich's plans in the aftermath of Ginobili's injury. Ime Udoka, another player whose court time is earned at the defensive end, was on the floor for 15 of the 24 second-half minutes.

“It's the same lineup we used when Manu was out before,' Popovich said. “That's who's there. It's the exact same rotation.”

Pop is one sly and funny guy... :hat

NewJerSpur
04-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, we have more of a chance than we did when Tim was out for the 1st round and I believe the remainder of the playoffs some seasons ago. One of the major things we need to have happen is have some shots falling, some good ball movement, and some balls bouncing our way with regard to rebounding (especially on the defensive glass).

EricB
04-08-2009, 12:21 AM
If he would have George Hill as the back up point guard then it WOULD be the exact same rotation...

ElNono
04-08-2009, 12:28 AM
If he would have George Hill as the back up point guard then it WOULD be the exact same rotation...

Bruce averaged 19 mins a game all season long. He played 24 mins today. That's just what I was pointing out.

NewJerSpur
04-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I'll be okay with him just utilizing Hill's skills and athleticism in some capacity rather than permanently sitting him for the duration of the season.

Morg1411
04-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Pop is one sly and funny guy... :hat

Yeah, that made me smile. :toast

Blackjack
04-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Point guard Tony Parker said the look in Duncan's eyes on the Spurs' first few possessions told him everything he needed to know about the Spurs' captain's approach to playing without Ginobili.

Tim's offensive aggression was nice to see, but the purpose and forcefulness he had on the glass was fantastic.

You could definitely tell the knees are a hindrance, especially when trying to finish on the move and in traffic, but it was great to see Timmy set the tone, and be the captain this team needed, after getting such demoralizing news.

The Spurs got an offensive boost from Drew Gooden, the March free agent signee who is beginning to find a comfort zone at just the right time. He scored 20 points in nearly 29 minutes, playing deep into the fourth quarter of a close game for the first time since joining the Spurs.

“I thought he was playing well, feeling more comfortable in the system,” Popovich said. “The guys are getting more confidence in him, and I thought he needed to be rewarded, as well as he was playing at both ends of the floor.”

I was really impressed with Drew's performance tonight, and was really glad to see Pop keep him in down the stretch.

Drew's always going to leave something to be desired, but he seems to be a lot brighter than he's been given credit. He's already picked up a thing or two from Tim on how to play in the post with this team and how to utilize his cutters, at least to some extent, and he seems to get more comfortable in his movements, both off. and def., each time you see him play.

There's a fine line between being a blackhole and being aggressive, but I thought he was just what the Dr. ordered, on this night.

I was definitely glad to see Pop give their best perimeter defender on the roster an opportunity to play. What a novel idea. :tu

I'm not sure why he felt the need to bring Udoka in with him as some kind of a defensive tandem, subbing in for the offensive tandem of Fin and Mason, but beggars can't be choosers, I guess?

Hill receiving another DNP-CD, especially when you consider Pop's own admission of his team not being capable of winning a championship without a healthy Manu, is pretty dumbfounding. So the teams not going to win a title, nor develop the young talent given the opportunity?

I've always thought Pop looked at the "big picture" as good, or better, than most but I'm starting to question myself.

I fully understand not wanting to look like you've thrown in the towel on your team and given in on the season, but I don't understand not playing Hill fitting that logic.

Hill may not be where every coach, player, and fan would like him to be, (in terms of development) but at least he brings the potential of an X-factor that this team sorely lacks.

Pop's going to need all the weapons he can get without Manu, so whether it's Hill, or even the unlikely candidates of Hairston or Williams, It'd be quite beneficial to both the present and the future if they were to see some court time.

rayray2k8
04-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Guess Pop forgot about Hill...

SA210
04-08-2009, 02:15 AM
He needs to start Bruce and quit screwing around already.

duncan228
04-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Tim's offensive aggression was nice to see, but the purpose and forcefulness he had on the glass was fantastic.

You could definitely tell the knees are a hindrance, especially when trying to finish on the move and in traffic, but it was great to see Timmy set the tone, and be the captain this team needed, after getting such demoralizing news.

It was great to see. Watching him grow into the leader he's become has been just as wonderful as watching his game.

Blackjack
04-08-2009, 02:33 AM
It was great to see. Watching him grow into the leader he's become has been just as wonderful as watching his game.

:tu

I'm not old enough to have seen Russell play back in the day, but with the way Timmy conducts himself, (on and off the court) the way he plays the game, the way he leads by example, and the way he genuinely seems to care about his teammates and their success...

I get the feeling Timmy's given me a glimpse of the player I wasn't fortunate enough to see, first hand.

Spurs Brazil
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM

“From the get-go, you saw it in his eyes that he was going to attack the basket,” Parker said. “He took 20 shots, and it had been a long time since he took 20 shots.

“It was great to see him being aggressive.”

I hope TD is healthy enough so we can see that TD in the Playoffs

whottt
04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
George Hill is the closest thing we have to a Manu replacement on the roster...

Play the kid Pop.

Spursfan092120
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
ip1zsUIosoA